Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL: Obsidian's Best RPG

Best Obsidian RPG?

• KOTOR 2

Votes: 44 15.7%
  • NWN 2 (w/o MotB)

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Alpha Protocol

Votes: 29 10.3%
  • New Vegas

Votes: 145 51.6%
  • Dungeon Siege 3

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Stick of Truth

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Pillars 2

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Outer Worlds

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New Vegas is shit, and I'm glad someone other than me is finally saying it. Garbage gameplay, so if you're not a story fag you should hate it, and combine that shit combat with the subpar writing and I have no idea who these people that enjoy the game are. Doesn't help that the game looks absolutely horrendous.

KotOR 2 all the way, easily.

bloodlover

Arcane
KotOR 2 for me. Great story, characters and music.

It also has probably my favourite piece of music in any game.

jackofshadows

Magister
To be fair, KotOR2's graphics are significantly less offputting than FNV's. The combat is worse, though.
Not sure I'd agree but that's subjective. To me it's early 3d trash tier. While modded NV looks nice, actually.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I voted NV, but more telling is how many on that list (Kotor2, MotB, AP) are in my personal top 10 and that the rest of my 10 would probably be mostly from Obsidian people anyway.

The bottom third of those choices are utter shite.

Also, click bait. Lock thread.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Garbage gameplay
looks absolutely horrendous
:hmmm:
KotOR 2's combat is many times better than FO:NV. There is something endearing about KotOR combat, and there are sections of the game where some pausing and strategizing is required. More then can be said for FO:NV.
To be fair, KotOR2's graphics are significantly less offputting than FNV's. The combat is worse, though.
Not sure I'd agree but that's subjective. To me it's early 3d trash tier. While modded NV looks nice, actually.
FO:NV looks uniquely shit while KotOR 2 looks good. Nice try.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
KotOR2 is the height of storyfag gaming. There's no other reason to play that game. The combat is absolute dogshit and the graphics are early 3D prospervision. Just admit you have a blind spot.

Garbage gameplay

I agree. To my eyes there was something inherently ugly about late-oughts 3D games. I don't know whether it was the weird sharpness filters that seemed to cover every texture, the over-lighting that washed out all the color, or how all the character models looked like shiny wet clay. Fallout 3 is the height of this but certain aspects were present in Dragon Age, Mass effect and I'd say it persisted to Skyrim at least.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Arcanum, despite its many glaring flaws, is better than any Obsidian game.

Man, has Obsidian been nothing but dashed hopes, never good enough to even make flawed gems. Any greatness was either mitigated by abject mediocrity, stood unfinished, or was relegated to the sidelines of the game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I can't vote New Vegas, I hate the combat in that game too much. Same reason why I can't vote for MOTB... yeah, the writing and quests are cool, but 95% of the time you're just dealing with really dull gameplay or wanting to kill who programmed that camera. KOTOR2 is all about Kreia, don't think anyone really likes all that brain-dead trash combat either.

These are all games with very strong points but also very weak ones. Pillars 2 with turn-based update is IMHO their most well-rounded game. Writing isn't their best, but it's never bad and the gameplay is consistently great.

Tigranes

Arcane
Garbage gameplay
KotOR 2's combat is many times better than FO:NV. There is something endearing about KotOR combat, and there are sections of the game where some pausing and strategizing is required. More then can be said for FO:NV.
FO:NV looks uniquely shit while KotOR 2 looks good. Nice try.

They're both fundamentally bad gameplay games. The core formula inherited from Bethesda/Bioware is broken beyond repair. KOTOR is basically you playing a shitty RTS in over the shoulder cam because lightsabers, and possibly to compensate for the absolutely idiotic combination, the games become so easy they are sometimes literal screensavers. All so that you could see the pew pew lightsabres up closer.

Sure, you could go for K2 over NV, but it'd basically come down to atmosphere & writing.

Humanophage

Arcane
KOTOR 2 - 8/10, really collapses towards the end but otherwise fair.
NWN2 - haven't played (a bit of MotB but it lagged too much)
Alpha Protocol - haven't played but own it
New Vegas - haven't played except a bit
Dungeon Siege 3 - haven't played. I actually kind of liked Dungeon Siege 1 back in the day.
Stick of Truth - 7.5/10, pretty funny and cozy but very basic.
Pillars of Eternity - haven't played
Tyranny - 7.5/10, solid start but gets rather boring as the trash fights go through the roof. The world felt rather flat. Fun magic system in the abstract, however. The whole thing reminded me of Kult: Heretic Kingdoms.
Pillars of Eternity 2 - 7.5/10, absolutely gorgeous graphics, but got bored relatively early on because the combat felt trivial.

Overall, it is all really quite subpar compared to Troika/Black Isle. The only truly exceptional bit were the graphics in PoE2. Will play MotB, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, and probably PoE2. Maybe that add-on for PoE1. The first priority is for MotB, which I recall being quite atmospheric.

Last edited:

Darkforge

Augur
It's MOTB. What even is this poll?

All their other games are shit. (probably debatable with new vegas, but I didn't like that either.)

thelegend

Learned
All play Obsidian games for story and decent C&C. No one cares about combat

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Of all the games I played on that list (Except for Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege, Outer Worlds); Stick of Truth is by far the most entertaining of them all. Granted I beat it only once and didn't feel like playing it again, but I had a lot of fun with the story. In game jokes are great as well. Enjoyed watching South Park when I was a kid. It's one of those naughty shows I'd try staying up till midnight in order to catch an episode or two on the television. So seeing the show carried over to an RPG format with that quirky humor, is great. Also helps that the game isn't complete shovelware trash like all those other video game products based on the South Park IP. Obsidian put actual effort and thought into the game.

Pillars of Eternity, the first one, is another good one from Obsidian. Not many RTWP RPGs have gameplay as crisp as this:

The gameplay is sooo good! Love juggling my party around while microing the different abilities they each have.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I suppose it’s New Vegas.

I do think the game is a bit overrated and I don’t like that it is just a Fallout 3 ”done better in certain respects”, but the ”better” part is quite a bit better. And it would seem that they poured a lot more ”loving labor” into this game than their others.

There is a some Fallout bias too in play, too so... meh.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Because you should know MotB works perfectly well on its own. Excluding it because it requires having NwN2 installed is retarded.

Might as well list mods then right

EDIT: Oh no he rated my post retarded, I'm owned

Mods aren't made by Obsidian tho.

The problem here is, you added the option of NWN2 explicitly without MotB.

So people who only liked MotB... what are they gonna vote for, if they consider it the only worthwhile Obsidian game?

And what about Storms of Zehir? That's not explicitly excluded from the list. Can you vote for NWN2 if you dislike the base game but think SoZ is the best Obsidian game?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Garbage gameplay

I agree. To my eyes there was something inherently ugly about late-oughts 3D games. I don't know whether it was the weird sharpness filters that seemed to cover every texture, the over-lighting that washed out all the color, or how all the character models looked like shiny wet clay. Fallout 3 is the height of this but certain aspects were present in Dragon Age, Mass effect and I'd say it persisted to Skyrim at least.

Yeah visually early to mid 00s 3D looked a lot better than the ugly shit they went for in the late 00s.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why Dungeon Siege 3 is in that list? Is not a RPG like the first two games. Is just a gear farming, cooldown managing "game"

Sarathiour

Cipher
Maybe a better question would be which one of those has the best gameplay, or I would rather say the least bad one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom