Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

It sounds nice on paper but most people will just sigh if they have to go back for a key they already earned access to. You can make it look less like padding by disguising keys as items that you have to give to NPCs blocking the way, though.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Time to shoot another sacred cow - this was okay, but I didn't really like it that much. The inventory restrictions are ridiculous; I was constantly having to backtrack to item boxes to store things or get a lighter and fuel to burn some bodies and then having to backtrack again to put them back. And this was with Jill who has two more slots than Chris, who I'm sure is even more aggravating to play.

The puzzles were fun to solve, though I ended up being too observant to get the Jill sandwich cutscene so I had to look it up later. Combat was dull and only a challenge because of the awkward controls and camera angles. I vastly preferred the previous REs I've played to this (4, Revelations 1 and 2, 7). 7 was certainly a far more palatable execution of what this was going for. I'm giving the 2 Remake a chance, but only because they've updated the gameplay. I wouldn't bother with another item management sim.

Glad to see someone else feels this way.

I recently tried to play REmake again. I first played it when it came out on gamecube and thought it was ace.

However it's evident to me now that RE is not a game that benefits from revisiting it down the track when you've seen too much of everything. I know all the beats, I've seen all the creatures, I know the lore too well and so on. I found myself reduced to playing a not very scary, not at all compelling game with incredibly clunky controls (sorry retards, I don't go in for the "bad controls add to the survival horror!!" nonsense) and a lot of busy running back and forth.

I might however give Zero another go, as I didn't play it much when it first released and it probably feels less like molesting a corpse.

fork

The Fallout 3/Resident Evil 4/ADHS/retard/faggot generation.
Too stupid for relatively simple inventory management.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never once had issues with inventory management on REmake, even as Chris.

Then again I never bothered wasting space on carrying the kerosene flask. There are very few zombies you have to kill, especially on hard where you want to save ammo for actual threats.

In general you only ever need 1 inventory slot for recovery items, 2 for weapon and ammo (generally you'll ditch the pistol around midgame once you've got enough shotgun ammo, esp if you're careful to not waste shells) maybe 3 if you want to carry around a "bossing" weapon as well.

For Chris that leaves at least 2 slots for puzzle items, more on Jill which aside from a couple of puzzles is more than enough.

It's a videogame, the idea of mistakes coming with a price is only interesting if there's a challenge. In the case of finding the correct key for a door, we already have the challenge (locating both door and key), mistake (missing door or key), and price (having to explore more). Making you go back for a key laying on the ground after you killed the boss guarding it is generally not interesting or challenging.

You could make the act of opening the door more challenging by adding a QTE to determine if you can insert the key and turn it around without breaking it, I wonder why devs are depriving us of that additional opportunity to make a mistake.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a videogame, the idea of mistakes coming with a price is only interesting if there's a challenge. In the case of finding the correct key for a door, we already have the challenge (locating both door and key), mistake (missing door or key), and price (having to explore more). Making you go back for a key laying on the ground after you killed the boss guarding it is generally not interesting or challenging. You could make the act of opening the door more challenging by adding a QTE to determine if you can insert the key and turn it around without breaking it, I wonder why devs are depriving us of that additional opportunity to make a mistake.
Fair enough. If you (and "most people") don't see the value in managing keys as part of your inventory, I won't tell you you're wrong. But I will say that it is part of the value of the original games and discarding it is a step towards popamole.

When I say most people I'm obviously just guessing that the average player doesn't find this engaging, because the cost of the mistake here is just backtracking and the extended downtime will look like padding. I do get the idea of making the player engage with the gameworld more by making him look at the key on the ground and having to build a route through the map in his head to decide if it's worth picking it up now. But if you reward efficiency, like ranking for finishing the game faster, the player will willingly create better routes so he doesn't waste time checking every door brainlessly.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's not just a boring downtime. If you waste too much time on backtracking, the crimsonheads start waking up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Fallout 3/Resident Evil 4/ADHS/retard/faggot generation.
Too stupid for relatively simple inventory management.
I completed the game. :M

It's not just a boring downtime. If you waste too much time on backtracking, the crimsonheads start waking up.
This is what the time consuming chore of burning bodies in areas you're likely to revisit is for. :M

Generic-Giant-Spider

Playing Chris over Jill in RE1 is exactly the type of shit that would get your jaw jacked up in my 'hood.

Anyways REmake 1 is still the best Resident Evil overall. Inventory management becomes a lot less of an annoyance on replays since you'll know what you should/shouldn't take with you.

A good general rule of thumb for classic RE is to have your inventory have your weapon, ammo for that weapon, and one curative item. Over time you'll be able to ignore the curative item entirely until the more mobile enemies begin showing up. This leaves the rest of your slots open to pick up key items or other shit.

I like to leave a crimsonhead in the room where you push the crate to get the Mansion map I think it is. He'll be eternally stuck there and look like a little bitch while you catwalk strut at your leisure. Fuck you, bitch. Hahahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machocruz

Arcane
No you can't. That's the opposite of environmental engagement bro, because now you no longer have an incentive to think at all. You just see "Oh a lock, I'll spam my key inventory and see if one works."
That doesn't follow. Keys in these kinds of games are distinctly marked, there would be no need to spam them to see if one works. And your scenario has nothing to do with that or incentivizing thinking, it's recognition. You come across the thing that the hula key opens, then later find the hula key, which gives you the 'aha, I saw something to do with a hula before.' There is nothing to figure out or consider there, and inventory space is not a part of that stimulus.
Nope. You don't get it. Having the memory and foresight to bring the right key to the right door, and choosing what to leave behind and which keys to take on a run and which to save for later, all take actual thought and engagement. In other words, gameplay. Managing inventory space is absolutely, 100% part of that stimulus. Pushing the 'unlock door because I probably have the key' button is not gameplay. It's OK if you think they are equal, but if you do, you are stupid and wrong.
In your example you find the door then you find the key. Finding the key is the aha moment. What foresight? Just pick the fucking key up and take it to the door. There's nothing to think about managing, you have to take the key if you want to progress. Unless the player has the memory of a newborn fly, this is not demanding at all. And what's this 'probably have the key' business? That is not Resident Evil. It's exceedingly clear whether you have the shield key for the shield door or not lol. These games aren't that vague

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Why are so many
dumbfuck.gif
tags now? Seems like Infinitron work

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just pick the fucking key up and take it to the door. There's nothing to think about managing, you have to take the key if you want to progress.
Jesus christ. Wrong again.

First: where is the door exactly? You've seen 50 doors in the last 5 hours, which door has the hula girl on it? Do you remember? It's OK if you have a photographic memory (or more likely keep a walkthrough handy) but I suspect most players do not. I sure don't. What if you have to run around looking for it? How much damage will you take in the meantime?

Second: even if you remember exactly where to go, what is between you and that place? Are there active enemies between here and there? Is there something along the way you didn't have space to pick up before? Can you afford inventory space for the key instead of say ammo for your gun? Perhaps planning a longer safer route is the right choice? What about going to an item box now, stocking up on provisions, then navigating to another item box near the door to 'teleport' the key there? There's all kinds of stuff for the thoughtful player to consider, all solid gameplay value. This is the game, unless you think Resident Evil is about landing sweet headshots on zombies.

If keys are absorbed straight into your bloodstream for convenient use at any time, that gameplay value all goes straight out the window. I guess that's fine with you because you're a stable genius who memorizes everything instantly and never uses resources while navigating maps. Good job, you're so good at these games you don't even have to play them!

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
There is a game called Them and Us, a big time RE1 clone. It starts you out with only TWO inventory slots. But soon after you get a backpack that gives you I think four more. But also you can drop items anywhere and they will stay there, like in an immersive sim: you can make little stash areas kind of like SS2. Of course this tells you this game was not made in Japan, who have not yet embraced this idea

I just checked it out on Steam. Calling it a clone is an understatement. How in the hell are they not getting sued?

I played through the demo of Them and Us last night, and... it's actually not bad.

I don't know if it's worth $40, but I wishlisted it. I'll probably grab it on the first decent sale.

Zlaja

Arcane
However it's evident to me now that RE is not a game that benefits from revisiting it down the track when you've seen too much of everything

Dude, this applies to almost any classic out there. I don't buy this bullshit about good games being 'infinitely replayable'. That shit is only maybe true for stuff like Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country.

When I say most people I'm obviously just guessing that the average player doesn't find this engaging

Who the fuck cares what the average moron finds engaging? The average moron is engaged with Far Cry sequels and annual FIFA crap. I'd be shocked if they didn't find inventory management annoying.

Also Roguey & Co, if Zombra is making more sense then you in a thread, then you really need to go back to the drawing board. YOU FUCKED UP!

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Rouge is on a roll of badmouthing classic games. First Severance BoD, then RE Remake. What now, an ItsChon-like rant about timers in Fallout?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What now, an ItsChon-like rant about timers in Fallout?

Nah, the time limit in Fallout is just fine because there is no time pressure in the actual areas themselves. You're just discouraged from resting to heal and aimlessly wandering around the world map.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The pre-rendered cutscenes have such elevated black bars that it makes me wonder if they made a mistake with the gamma. I know the Gamecube version obviously didn't have those black bars on the sides. I'm saying the colors in the picture may be elevated. But the game part seems fine, so I'm not sure. Noticed it as I tried to show my brother the game after finding some influence in our shared Yuppie Psycho playthrough. I wasn't conscious of this when I last played through Resident Evil.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

At this point, I am genuinely unaware of any official "remaster" effort in gaming that is actually better looking than the original product

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

At this point, I am genuinely unaware of any official "remaster" effort in gaming that is actually better looking than the original product

I bet some modder could make a version which is "best of the both worlds", the original is a bit too "green-ish" to my taste at least in some areas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom