Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

YldrE

Learned
Honestly the base game is so good that a compromised console port was nothing to scoff at if you couldn't play it on PC back then. Sure it has worse visuals and performance, and for some reason streamlined character building, but otherwise it's a straight port.

The marketing boasted "bonus levels", but if that's not the new tutorial it must have included some levels broken up for memory limitations because I don't remember any other difference. Some online forums mention a pre-order room with some hax items, and an NPC encounter turned into a minor boss fight, but again I have no recollection of that.

The only true difference is the tutorial, which I'd say is better than on PC. If you want to do a "full" run, play the tutorial on Xenia, then switch to the PC version and start over. There's zero reason to play on console now, but if you're familiar with the PC game the Xbox tutorial is a nice curiosity.

BruceVC

Magister
The only true difference is the tutorial, which I'd say is better than on PC.

Is there a PC version of this or would it be possible to convert it to the PC?

For me its basically impossible to think of a console gaming experience to be ever better than a PC experience. And I do appreciate consoles and they provide a level of gaming and fun that is about entertainment which is the whole point of why we play games. But the PC gaming experience can easily be superior because of PC components like advanced graphic cards, audio headsets and Mods

So I always play the PC version unless its an excellent game that only exists on console and then I happily adopt to the console

Wesp5

Arcane
For me its basically impossible to think of a console gaming experience to be ever better than a PC experience

I completely agree, but what I meant is has somebody converted only this unique tutorial for the PC? Like for example there is a PC version of the unique Playstation episode Half-Life: Decay...

Technomancer

Liturgist
I completely agree, but what I meant is has somebody converted only this unique tutorial for the PC? Like for example there is a PC version of the unique Playstation episode Half-Life: Decay...
I don't think so but the guy who makes coop mod mentioned that they might port some stuff from xbox version of the game. And maybe finish and add cut enemies from original.

Sykar

Arcane
Personally what I find cool about the game that the graphics looks still nice to this day despite being so old. It has a certain "timeless" quality that not many games from its era achieved.
Also it has the best fireball animation I have ever seen imho. How he forms that flaming sphere in his hands just looks damn sweet.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
A little bit late ;). I always wondered why nobody made new maps for this great game!

deama

Prophet
Too bad no one tried remaking arx fatalis in the dark messiah engine, would have been great!
Was the modding too hard or just not enough people to spring up a scene?

Technomancer

Liturgist
Too bad no one tried remaking arx fatalis in the dark messiah engine, would have been great!
Dark Messiah was always pretty obscure for some reason. Never got big or popular. Just happened that way.

Wesp5

Arcane

I would guess the later. I once took a look at the maps and the editing is similar to Bloodlines. Which doesn't have a huge modding community either, too many modders stay with HL2 because it is more famous!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I don’t suppose UBI will quite crushing the balls and release Dark Messiah to GoG? (Mumble grumble and MMX….. fuck ubi third party log in!!)

racofer

Thread Incliner
It came out the same year as Oblivion. All the modding effort focused on the wrong game.

deuxhero

Arcane
The mod tools were delayed and came out too long after the game to attract attention.

I don’t suppose UBI will quite crushing the balls and release Dark Messiah to GoG? (Mumble grumble and MMX….. fuck ubi third party log in!!)
I wonder if it's even contractually possible given it's Source based.

I still expect that Ubisoft will sell off M&M once they're in deep enough problems, since it has value (even just old releases on Steam/GoG still generate money) but Ubisoft isn't really doing anything with it. I'd love to see Dark Messiah EE that leads to a new expansion pack (is early Source considered a retro FPS at this point?), but that's just optimistic.

Spukrian

Savant
So I played Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. It's a good game, perhaps even a great game, but it's not for me. I sadly did not enjoy my time with Dark Messiah.

The combat was very difficult for me, playing on normal. The game demands better reaction times and hand to eye coordination than I can muster (maybe I'm getting old or something). As I played I did slightly improve, but I never got good at it and every melee combat encounter was extremely annoying and tedious.

I had to restart a few times because I had wasted skillpoints in stuff I never ended up using. When I finished the game it was with a stealth archer build.

I had big trouble with jumping, mantling and rope arrows. It was hard to predict where I would go when jumping off a rope. Mantling something when jumping from often failed. Mantling always failed if I was standing to close to whatever I wanted to mantle. Sometimes when crounching I would just slide off the edge. Some of this is due to body awareness, but I'm quite sure Thief Deadly Shadows wasn't this bad.

Many times in the game I would see somwhere I could shoot a rope arrow at to explore, hoping to find a secret except very often there would be an invisible wall (or worse, an instadeath) instead of a secret. Yes, there were a few times I shot a rope arrow, jumped onto it and started climbing down only for the screen to fade to black and getting a message that I fell to my death. Speaking of that, whether you die or not from a fall seems like it isn't based on how much health you have, only the height you fall from.

There's a chase sequence in this game. I hated it, though I hate most chase sequences.

Now that I've complained a lot about this game, let's see if I can muster up some positives.
*I complained about the rope arrows, but it's great that they're actually in the game. There were a few times I could make shortcuts thanks to them.
*The combat system isn't actually bad, it's (probably) very good, just not for me.
*The levels are well designed and look good.

I don't think I'll ever replay this. Oh, well.

Wesp5

Arcane
As I played I did slightly improve, but I never got good at it and every melee combat encounter was extremely annoying and tedious.

Did you use your most powerful melee weapon? I never had as much fun kicking enemies from cliffs, into spikes or through fires :)!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom