Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples of Steel Question

octavius

Arcane
Patron
KeighnMcDeath you have the spell reference cards, they're nowhere to find on the net afaik.

I remember having to find them by looking at a "unboxing" video on YouTube.
Quite important info if you are gonna play this game.

EDIT: Heh, now I see our keen boomer has already posted it.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I liked the video and sent a message to the hermit. He said youtube somehow locked his other video. It is now open to watch.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. Thanks for your hard work with all the scans and information and etc..! You are really making it nice and easy when some of us will be playing this. Cheers! :)

Sotomonte

Educated
Wow, I actually tried to find the reference cards and clue book for this game but there was no way, thanks for the screens.

Does anyone know if patch 1.13 is for the CD version or for the floppy?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just started playing this the other day but didn't have enough time to really get into it, but hearing how much people enjoyed it I'll have to get back on it sooner than later. God, do I miss those big boxes and artwork styles.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess things to do:
Rip sprites and gfx and make tileset sheets.

Detail walkthrough & maps (plenty of mappers to use and scrn shots to be taken)

Created a decently detailed bestiary.

Confirm aspects of the only hint guide for town guide, equipment guide, tactics, skills, best classes to be, best races, etc etc.

Oh and I need to get off my ass and work on the manual. I want to be true to the original but combine the CD one with the original. I don't know much about design and it has been a while since I made a pdf. Chances are someone will beat me to it if they care. I'd love to print the spell sheet references on a good cardstock and laminate it. Best lamination I ever saw was from Postal Annex in Corpus Christi. Damn fine job.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh look at this, more missing documentation in a CD version. The HINT BOOK!

Eh... if I really really had some spare cash or get desparate maybe I'd buy both rge disk and CD package to scan these. That's a big $500 bill plus just to archive these digitally.

Getting spendy. Hey BIDEN! Send me some fucking cash you asshole! I don't want to sell myself as a hobo hooker.

Well I bought the 3.5 disk one but $300 is a lot for the CD version one!! Hey I'd be willing to add to and curate our prestigious RPGCodex magazine's cRPG Museum if DarkUnderlord would setup a fundraiser.... :troll:*

I'm actually getting ready to reveal something soon anyway! :martini:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Here were the top piles of rents at that shop before it got shut down (yes it was in a brick & mortar mini strip mall by the highway).
Disciples of Steel
Ultima 7
Elder Scrolls Arena
Alien Breed
Space Hulk
Civilization II
Sim City 2000
Secret of monkey island
Terminator Rampage
Colonization
Sim Ant
Masters of Orion
Doom
Heretic
Hexen
Command & conquer
Xcom & Terrors of the deep
Jagged alliance
Unreal
Quake
and some others i have forgotten.
Worlds of Ultima and u6 were there. It was a pretty seedy place. Hell, we used to copy c64 games and trade. Even my middle school had a teacher pirate in the commodore room. I'll remember others eventually. Disciples of steel was damn good. Oh... Both dark suns were in there and the Ravenlofts. Pretty sure any photocopy manual i still have is old pirate shit but i evrntually bought legit every SSI & D&D i have platforms for.

mondblut

Arcane
Hey guys. Thanks for your hard work with all the scans and information and etc..! You are really making it nice and easy when some of us will be playing this. Cheers! :)

Pfft. Back in the day we played it without any manuals. Reference cards, har, har. I had to fucking crack its copy protection on my own, and I didn't know wtf I was doing.

Kids these days...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'd fuck around with the editor on my epyx fastload cartridge for the C64. You could find passwords. The worse was my Dad's old DM password on The Standing Stones. It was fucking "WHAT." Derp. I changed it to the return keypress as in no password. Every character could have a password similar to Mail Order Monsters. Electronic Arts back the "ECA". Code Wheels and passwords galore. Worse copy protection was damn Alternate Reality. Fucked up so many characters.

Martyr

Arcane
I liked the video and sent a message to the hermit. He said youtube somehow locked his other video. It is now open to watch.

that guy is highly aggravating in the way he treats old games.

Celtic Tales for example - I've paid over 80 Euros just to get the CD in the original jewelcase and the reference card, the Big Box costs up to almost 700 € and like the comment says, he's got it lying on twigs with ants on it...

Last edited:

visions

Arcane
I have that Celtic Tales big box. I impulse bought it from Ebay for around 30-40 EUR around 10 years ago because the art and screenshots and the theme looked cool. Never got around to playing it, it's in my eternal backlog of shame. Had no idea it has become valuable. My copy doesn't look mint though, the box art is faded.

Iirc I bought it as sort of a consolation prize cause things like a complete Fallout original big box seemed too expensive on Ebay to me back then.

Breshard

Novice
As a big fan of Wizard's Crown series and Proudfoot's games this game looks interesting to me. Does it have same enchant system to improve weapons and armor like wizard's crown, eternal dagger, nahlakh and natuk? Or even something more like toee and kotc? I always thought enchanting up your equipment rather than only finding new stuff was an interesting mechanic that I haven't seen much of.

Breshard

Novice
Anyone have the original save this game came with? I've seen a few copies of this game and they all have it with the original save overwritten.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Last edited:

Breshard

Novice
That did it! Thanks, I only had already installed copies that I had looked at.

izzywizzy

Literate
When I try to recruit an army I get the message "not within Farnus" or whatever other city I am in. Does anybody know why that is?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom