Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess Frogwares and Nacon made a deal? Apparently the game on Steam is updated to the proper Frogwares-signed version instead of the cracked "illegal" version. But with that, all the DLCs included in the illegal version are now removed, and now people can't load their DLC-included save files.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/750130/discussions/0/3050608452019553044/

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I guess Frogwares and Nacon made a deal? Apparently the game on Steam is updated to the proper Frogwares-signed version instead of the cracked "illegal" version. But with that, all the DLCs included in the illegal version are now removed, and now people can't load their DLC-included save files.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/750130/discussions/0/3050608452019553044/

I bet the shitshow surrounding this game has more twists and turns than the actual plot of the game

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
All I know is I still haven't played the damn thing because of the shitstorm starting with initial Epic exclusivity. Should probably pirate it at this point.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
All I know is I still haven't played the damn thing because of the shitstorm starting with initial Epic exclusivity. Should probably pirate it at this point.

Yeah,I might go for the Fitgirl version in the end too

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
In hindsight it's really amusing how all this controversy helped the Sinking City stay more relevant than the REAL other CoC game. I had to think for a second before remembering I played that one.

Beowulf

Arcane
In hindsight it's really amusing how all this controversy helped the Sinking City stay more relevant than the REAL other CoC game. I had to think for a second before remembering I played that one.

Which one is that?

Forum thread

I hope you're joking because that game is complete shit.

Oh, I only linked it because I though you genuinely didn't know it has been released, not that I recommend it as the best Cthulhu/Lovecraftian game.

Drop Duck

Learned
There are no good Lovecraft games since they all seem to either misunderstand or are unable to replicate what made the source material stand out. Sinking City is no different. It strays even further by adopting the current trend of oikophobia as well as replacing cosmic horrors with the KKK. It leads to an entirely incoherent setting and story since there is no way to make the two worldviews gel. Not only does the woke ideology clash but so does the open world style gameplay where you shoot mutated horrors for XP.

Despite that Sinking City is one of the best open-world games of recent years and the atmosphere is unrivalled. It's not a good game, it is not even Lovecraftian and it doesn't have a great narrative or writing. What it does well is the town of Oakmont, the weather, day and night cycles, audio design and everything that immerses a player into a video game. The different districts feel different, have different architecture and layouts. When you are to go somewhere you have to set up your own map markers on the map, you're only given the street. Everything seems damp and dingy, entire streets have sunken below the waters. There is something unnatural about the movement of the sun. The town is alive with people, they too differing between the districts. Steam rafts traverse the flooded streets and solemn harmonicas are played as you pass by central areas. Broken down cars and burned out houses litter the town. The accompanying soundtrack greatly enhances the gameworld, with different tracks for the different districts and some top notch ambient tracks.

If it had committed to the source material as well as relied more on Frogwares adventure game roots and went beyond a political parody it could have been the best Lovecraft game.
Yeah,I might go for the Fitgirl version in the end too
It might be the best option until the deluxe edition gets on GOG since the Steam version no longer comes with the DLC. This is one of those games where some of the DLC seems like it was ripped out cut content put back again and it would be less of a complete game without it. They are missions and content seamlessly integrated into the game and it appeared in trailers before the game launched.

JDR13

Arcane
Despite that Sinking City is one of the best open-world games of recent years and the atmosphere is unrivalled. It's not a good game, it is not even Lovecraftian and it doesn't have a great narrative or writing. What it does well is the town of Oakmont, the weather, day and night cycles, audio design and everything that immerses a player into a video game. The different districts feel different, have different architecture and layouts. When you are to go somewhere you have to set up your own map markers on the map, you're only given the street. Everything seems damp and dingy, entire streets have sunken below the waters. There is something unnatural about the movement of the sun. The town is alive with people, they too differing between the districts. Steam rafts traverse the flooded streets and solemn harmonicas are played as you pass by central areas. Broken down cars and burned out houses litter the town. The accompanying soundtrack greatly enhances the gameworld, with different tracks for the different districts and some top notch ambient tracks.

Can I have some of whatever it is you're smoking?

Drop Duck

Learned
Can I have some of whatever it is you're smoking?
It's prescription only, mate.

Beowulf

Arcane
Well, it seems rather boring.

I decided to give it a try, but so far it seems like it is a very linear action-adventure in a copy-pasted open world.
The gameplay consists of running around the city, going into buildings to shoot some enemies and connecting the dots in way that you cannot fail.
Sure, you can wander around a bit, but it gets boring without some interesting side content.

Is that it?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I decided to give it a try, but so far it seems like it is a very linear action-adventure in a copy-pasted open world.
The gameplay consists of running around the city, going into buildings to shoot some enemies and connecting the dots in way that you cannot fail.
Sure, you can wander around a bit, but it gets boring without some interesting side content.

Is that it?
Game settings are crucially important. See this post.
In particular, you need to have Long Distance Icons turned off to force yourself to pay attention to the environment; otherwise, you are just dragging yourself from quest marker to quest marker.
Turn your crosshair off too (and crank up difficulty) to help combat be actually scary, Silent Hill style.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane

Is that it?
Game settings are crucially important. See this post.
In particular, you need to have Long Distance Icons turned off to force yourself to pay attention to the environment; otherwise, you are just dragging yourself from quest marker to quest marker.
Turn your crosshair off too (and crank up difficulty) to help combat be actually scary, Silent Hill style.

I turned up some options at the start and disabled compass and whatnot. But doesn't it change the game so you have to basically go through every square meter of the quest location to search for prompts?
Because so far you don't even know what you are looking for.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I turned up some options at the start and disabled compass and whatnot. But doesn't it change the game so you have to basically go through every square meter of the quest location to search for prompts?
Because so far you don't even know what you are looking for.
The other thing is to leave "All Interactivity Icons" turned on. Otherwise it's a pixel hunt which indeed is no fun.
NOTE "All Icons" is a lie; turning it on doesn't mean everything is lit up. You still have to get close to things before the icon appears.

With Long Distance off and "All Icons" on, you actually have to look at things and see what looks interesting, and decide whether it warrants walking close to it to see if it lights up as a clue. This is very different from pacing off every square meter - instead you're using real observation to follow the story. And isn't that ideally what you want to be doing in a detective game?

Yes this means you will miss things. In my playthrough I can think of at least a couple things that were never explained, even though I tried to be very thorough. But I did solve most everything and completed the game. To me this is the true, meaningful design defiance of quest markers.

orcinator

Liturgist
You can play this game as a shitty pixel hunt instead of a shitty quest marker hunt.

Alternatively you can play literally anything else.
The choice... is yours....

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So I started it last night and did the first "case" - i.e. the murder investigation. Have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed at the deduction mechanic. So far it's just been matching up two different clues, and furthermore clues get "removed" when they're paired successfully. So far it seems too simplistic and easy to just brute force the solution. Pairings you've already tried are even highlighted in red. Does it get more complicated?

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
So, I've just finished it, and it says 21 hours. The first four hours are probably the best. You're learning ins and outs, the archive usage and map location finding is satisfying, you don't know what to expect from the combat and it's scary (you only have two shitty pistols), the infested zones are cool... But then it all breaks somewhere in the 4-6 hours range because you realize the game won't offer anything new. You can run away from any combat (triggering the patheticness of AI - I've looked it up, it's an actual word btw), the infested zones can be looted pretty easily by running or just ignored, you can't clear them, you don't need to go in them except one case. The loot respawns (imho that is a very bad idea in a supposedly survival game but it's 2021 and this is something that desperately wants to play in the big boys league), you learn all the basic gameplay formulas by heart and it all becomes one big exercise in tedium. Finding locations on map for 20 hours is not fun if there's no evolution to the mechanic, same with the archives. The side quests are formulaic as well, you're rewarded by loot, a readable or two, and stories sketched in a few voiced sentences at best. Joy's side quest was cool and admittedly I've had like ten of those left hanging around in the end because I started to ignore them somewhere in that 4-6 hours range.

The plot... well, it's an incoherent mess. You run around doing tasks for people appearing literally out of nowhere to complicate your life and present you with "hard choices". Like that voodoo Mayan priestess, for example, there's no mention of her anywhere in the story until she appears near the end being very-very important to the plot. Or that "Hey, go here, there's a dude there, he's important, btw everything before now was just a test to see how well you do, tee-hee" - literal words by an important character (likely Nyarlathotep or some such) before you meet her. In games like these, the main story content at least has some variety in the set pieces with the side content being bad filler. Here it's all the same and one of the following: find location/investigation+loot+combat/bland diving section followed by the cave investigation+loot+combat/visions cutscene/important NPC dialogue. That's just lacking any imagination, or maybe funds. I caught myself feeling a bit drained near the end and now that I'm thinking about it's the same feeling I have after playing any of modern AAA games if I do that at all. They're way too long for the amount of variety they have and exploit the basic gamer desire to Finish The Game to the fullest.

Combat is with the same three monster types with the occasional big daddy or whatever is their name. There are supposedly different stories but we only got these three monsters and sometimes humans if we're lucky, sorry. There's one scene vaguely resembling a boss fight. All the houses are the same inside Ubisoft-style. There's the mansion layout and like maybe three apartment buildings layout and you start to hate them maybe 8 hours in. Again, not enough variety for the amount of playtime they were aiming for. The best thing they could do with this approach is cut the length in twice so that the player would get bored much closer to the end. Note how I said nothing about the connecting dots in the dream palace so far. Well, it's there (shrugs). It's more of a... plot summary mechanism than an active investigation part. Their own Sherlock Holmes games have the ability to fail in the conclusions and I guess they've decided to test how does it feel when you can't. Now it's like visualizing the plot for children :D Well, at least they tried. I like the visual look of the game, very atmospheric and I'll put some of these cool ambient tracks into my work playlist. Damn, the best track in the game is 12 seconds :lol:

But there are at least couple that are greater than a minute:

Btw, I'm really liking the basics of the archive usage. I'm gonna lift it for one of my projects when I get to it and expand on it.

6C225B82AE6A27F9B7A95509C6BE595D34189DB7

Mandatory Gaunter easter egg. They spoil it somewhat by actually naming him Gaunter Randall later on but oh well. Just noticed that screenshot showcases the weird graphical issue I've got on the bottom of my screen with this game, too.

So far I'm having fun, doing the Zombra suggested method of turning off quest compass and cranking the difficulty of everything to max. The game's nothing amazing but with no quest compass it's mildly fun to look over your casebook and decide when it's time to go look something up in the newspaper/city hall/cop shop/hospital. Does make me wonder if the game would've been better if they'd narrowed the scope to a more linear progression of cases rather than going for open world investigate-'em-up but I dunno. Currently my gut feeling after putting in 7 hours is it's more enjoyable than the Call of Cthulhu game that came out at the same time, even though CoC had better production values and theoretically more going on. CoC had a stack of skills on your character sheet and none of them really related to combat while Sinking City's character progression is entirely based around combat, but CoC underutilized that so much it was more disappointing to play and see what it DIDN'T do than Sinking City's more straightforward "Yeah there's leveling but it just makes you shoot things better". CoC didn't really pay off the C&C based on character skills and giving you multiple solutions to a problem either, and while Sinking City doesn't look like it does that (Or does it much. Have had different ways to close out cases, not yet sure if any of them will lead to consequences) either it's still more fun and interesting to go dig up missing pieces of information from your sources scattered around town.

Definitely not an amazing game but I'm having a good time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom