Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Was there really a Ranger/Shadow build that didn't take advantage of the whole '3-4/10 attacks/spells don't affect you, period'? It's such a no brainer for a five point investment. With blind, you could still easily hit ~70% evade. Coupled with Wind Dancer, 4k HP builds were basically fine. Obviously, Raider was tailor-made for it, but I'd take Dodge/Phase Acro on every Saboteur, no matter what. Ditto for Deadeye.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Well much is in the air because they also said acrobatics is the Only source of spell dodge (so they can repurpose evasion small cluster apparently worthless now) .
It was a mainstay of early high level builds beside a few necro.

tritosine2k

Erudite

The modifier '+7% to Unarmed Attack Critical Strike Chance' is now '+7% to Unarmed Melee Attack Critical Strike Chance'.

Wasn't rigwald's talisman nerft for AOE 'touch? EDIT : likely so

Also unusable leap slam is kinda counter-intuitive, oh well. :lol:

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Was there really a Ranger/Shadow build that didn't take advantage of the whole '3-4/10 attacks/spells don't affect you, period'? It's such a no brainer for a five point investment. With blind, you could still easily hit ~70% evade. Coupled with Wind Dancer, 4k HP builds were basically fine. Obviously, Raider was tailor-made for it, but I'd take Dodge/Phase Acro on every Saboteur, no matter what. Ditto for Deadeye.
Oh it was a good pickup due to its position and most people pathing by it, yes, but by itself its not a very good keystone. Put it somewhere else where it's slightly more inconvenient to pick up, and no one would give a shit. People certainly don't care about unique items that grant the keystone without having to grab it on the tree.
I wouldn't be surprised if almost every build in 3.16 will look towards capping spell suppression. It's just too good. It's like glancing blows but without a 75% cap. I wouldn't be surprised if they nerfed Spell Suppression to be 35% instead of 50%. And it would still be worth it.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Quickly PoB-t 1million on scion hiero/pathfinder (on my other stacker) with dumb(?) supports (all ele stuff) . Without adding attack speed or crit (EO) . Not sure about AOE on the dory fist? Looks like it has potential.
The perk of going real Hiero is that it gives you massive ES, +100% increased AoE, makes it pretty easy to get 0 cost skills with a Praxis, and you either get bonus damage through a bunch of totems or an extra maximum power and endurance charge to go with your extra totem. Scion doesn't really provide that. If you're doing Scion, the main sub-ascendancies I'd contemplate would be Berserker, Inquisitor, Assassin, and Raider I guess, but it's still not as good as plain Berserker.

Will try to go crit as EO has coming nerf.
Rigwald's Curse, Nasima's Brutal Restraint, and maybe 3x Grand Spectrum (crit) will do you good. It's completely feasible to get 100% crit chance with the fist even without going Assassin, but then you're probably using Increased Critical Strikes support. That Increased Critical Strikes support gem is higher value than normal though, because of Brutal Restraint (Nasima's).

No one cared about Acrobatics. It was pure RNG, so even with capped Dodge (which you rarely had) youd still get hit 1/4 times. Compare that to raider Evasion, and your odds of getting hit were ~1/20, and it used entropy so you wouldnt get randomly one-tapped by 20 attacks hitting at once. The only reason to go acro was to grab phase acro, and spell suppression is waaay better.
Acrobatics was free avoidance on a plain life stacker build with a 2H or bow. You just stacked some endurance charges and flat phys reduction to handle physical damage, and then you had 40% dodge and 30% spell dodge.

tritosine2k

Erudite
I don't even understand why this builds needs minus mana cost. It sits at 43+3% for me vs. 7000 mana on this repurposed mana stacker (hence hiero ascend - it's a MoM spellcaster) = 255 vs. my spellcast stuff = 1600-2500 (GMP).

In any case I'm contemplating attack damage now, not because spellcasting is unsolvable, but really tricky (dying sun nerf, ugh), and not only it has no mana deleting property of archmage, it can even leech mana (double whammy lol). If they don't whack elemental overload too bad this would work for me straight off the bat with some AoE cluster.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Why go Praxis instead of a -9 mana cost to Non-Chan Skills on a ring or amulet?
Those only get you -7 (-8 with catalyst), I think, but they work too. Amulet is a non-option though because Rigwald's Curse is taking that slot.

I don't even understand why this builds needs minus mana cost. It sits at 43 for me vs. 7000 mana on this repurposed mana stacker (hence hiero ascend - it's a spellcaster).

In any case I'm contemplating attack damage now, not because spellcasting is unsolvable, but really tricky (dying sun nerf, ugh), and not only it has no mana deleting property of archmage, it can even leech mana (double whammy lol). If they don't whack elemental overload too bad this would work for me straight off the bat with some AOE cluster.
Manastorm mostly. But I think I was also getting mixed up with a similar build that involved Manabond and Shavronne's Wrappings as Hierophant and reserving auras to the life pool.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Acrobatics was free avoidance on a plain life stacker build with a 2H or bow. You just stacked some endurance charges and flat phys reduction to handle physical damage, and then you had 40% dodge and 30% spell dodge.
In a game where the only way to die is one-shots, that just seems like 5 wasted passive points.

didntdemon

Novice
In a game where the only way to die is one-shots, that just seems like 5 wasted passive points.
That must be a bait, no way you're serious.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Checked the 'fist, AoE is manageable , damage however ugh , idk how to push this without crit and not even 400% would be enough really. Oh well. Staying casting.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
That must be a bait, no way you're serious.
I am. Phase Acro isn't that great for 4 points, which is why a fair amount (~25-30%) of non-raider rangers tend to skip it. 30% spelldodge isnt gonna make a meaningful difference in your overall mapping survivability, and those points can usually be spent in better ways. It's simply a matter of whether or not you have access to better things, which is why Acro/Phase Acro is a good choice when leveling and starting the gearing process, but as time moves on and you're potentially going for a second cluster setup, the points come at a higher and higher opportunity cost.

Dodge has always been one of the weakest defensive layers, simply due to the lack of entropy on its rolls. Avoidance only counts for so much when the game might still decide that despite 75% dodge, those 3 spells or attacks flying at you will all hit regardless.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Those only get you -7 (-8 with catalyst), I think

Isn't there a higher level unveil for -9?
There is, but then you're into "hope for lucky RNG to get a good ring" territory unless you want to spend a lot of currency on crafting with stuff like veiled chaos orbs. Aisling's veiled modifiers do not let you get Elreon's signature modifier. If you can get a good ring that way that's great though. If you can get Replica Conqueror's Efficiency that's probably even better. But more likely master crafting the weaker mod onto regular mana rings is the way to go if you want 0 cost skills.

Checked the 'fist, AoE is manageable , damage however ugh , idk how to push this without crit and not even 400% would be enough really. Oh well. Staying casting.
Berserker Marauder does good there. If you really want insanity, you can use Doryani's Prototype. You can also use the Earthbreaker support gem to spam totems that inflict Doryani's Touch. Apparently it's a slam skill now.

didntdemon

Novice
I am. Phase Acro isn't that great for 4 points, which is why a fair amount (~25-30%) of non-raider rangers tend to skip it. 30% spelldodge isnt gonna make a meaningful difference in your overall mapping survivability, and those points can usually be spent in better ways. It's simply a matter of whether or not you have access to better things, which is why Acro/Phase Acro is a good choice when leveling and starting the gearing process, but as time moves on and you're potentially going for a second cluster setup, the points come at a higher and higher opportunity cost.

Dodge has always been one of the weakest defensive layers, simply due to the lack of entropy on its rolls. Avoidance only counts for so much when the game might still decide that despite 75% dodge, those 3 spells or attacks flying at you will all hit regardless.

Well the preceding 3 3% dodge nodes are (errrr....were) good too, and 30% spell dodge equates to 43% increase in EHP against spell hits. By comparison a 5% increase health node commonly gives less than 2% EHP increase. And those becomes even more valuable once you factor in other sources of dodges (Atziri, three-steps, elusives) and reach over 60% attack/spell dodge. If the build's playstyle involve running through/straight into mobs, no other defensive layers come close actually.

Lack of entropy shouldn't matter if you arn't hardcore either & can tolerate the occasion death, since ya just as likely to get lucky as getting unlucky.

Oh well i'm just an unrepentant dodge fan lamenting the loss.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Doryani's Prototype
...did just that with my precious -58% worth of ventor's and 1x thread of hope ~ minus 138. It's busted, I'm used to much more dmg... But finetuned my caster to make up for the mana-deleterious archmage somewhat. Back to leap slam. Started liking shield crush though.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No idea what to play this league. I skipped 3.15.

Might just play a big 2h melee slugger and see how the armour buff feels.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Also thinking about whether / what to play. Maybe something new, if they introduce new skills that is. Maybe I try that recent totem meta build that will surely be nerfed by the time I get around to it. :p

Absinthe

Arcane
Doryani's Prototype
...did just that with my precious -58% worth of ventor's and 1x thread of hope ~ minus 138. It's busted, I'm used to much more dmg... But finetuned my caster to make up for the mana-deleterious archmage somewhat. Back to leap slam. Started liking shield crush though.
If you really want to convert mana into lightning damage just do Manabond, reduce mana costs to zero, and keep your mana pool empty.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Doryani's Prototype
If you really want to convert mana into lightning damage just do Manabond, reduce mana costs to zero, and keep your mana pool empty.

Yeah I see. Tried that. But then I also need life+es leech, while I thought mana leech has a place. Figured out something about clusters finally, I will be in a much better spot next league and this wasn't bad at all.

Absinthe

Arcane
Mana leech doesn't really work well with Manabond, which rewards you for keeping your mana pool as empty as possible. If you use Shavronne's Wrappings (or budget option Solaris Lorica) and go Hierophant you can also convert your mana pool into ES with a couple of jewels and reserve auras off of life instead, which also opens up things like Pain Attunement and other Low Life stunts. Hierophant isn't great for damage though, but it does give you big mana, giant AoE, and Arcane Surge which is otherwise annoying to work on a manabond build and opens up just spamming mana as your primary offense and defense. If you want damage you should just go Assassin, but you could try to go Elementalist with a Fulcrum staff and Winterweave to give yourself 40% increased action speed. I suspect the Elementalist is more a novelty than practical though.

If you want a more esoteric build that gets massive damage off of lightning attacks, you could try using Vessel of Vinktar (flask effect has massive value here) with The Retch (use a fertile catalyst to boost chaos damage higher) swinging a Bloodseeker (life leech is instant), but then you're firmly in life build territory. The stunt here is that you collect 20% (much more with flask effect) lightning leech instantly and deal 240% of leech in chaos damage (instant leech lets you overheal, giving you the full damage). You do instantly heal to full with every swing though. The two best ascendancies for that tend to be Berserker and Assassin (corrupt Bloodseekers for bonus crit), although Slayer is not bad either.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
Crown of eyes works about 2x better for this than mind of the council. Latter is about 1.3x dmg, worse than EO.

Mind of the council needs that "spell dmg to attack dmg" . Too bad you can't have this as an enchant.

Now both are redundant. And you shouldn't be a warrior class to make use of obvious caster gear like the fist.

Absinthe

Arcane
Crown of eyes works about 2x better for this than mind of the council. Latter is about 1.3x dmg, worse than EO.

Mind of the council needs that "spell dmg to attack dmg" . Too bad you can't have this as an enchant.
For Doryani's Fist or Bloodseeker?

Now both are redundant. And you shouldn't be a warrior class to make use of obvious caster gear like the fist.
Berserker is honestly pretty ideal for Doryani's Fist. Rage is too useful, especially with tripled bonuses.

And if you want a warrior class Crown of Eyes build there is Brutus's Lead Sprinkler with Repentance and probably Iron Fortress.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom