Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The merge mod is exceptionally well done. It has some issues, but I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

But not on a first playthrough, the games are long enough and there is some bugs, better to play the originals + grayface latest patches first and then play the merge mod in a couple of years if/when you want to replay the trilogy.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The merge mod is exceptionally well done. It has some issues, but I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

But not on a first playthrough, the games are long enough and there is some bugs, better to play the originals + grayface latest patches first and then play the merge mod in a couple of years if/when you want to replay the trilogy.

Eh... I mean, playing with 5 characters is much nicer than playing with 4, so even if you focus on one game at a time, I would still prefer to do it in 8s engine, so using the merge mod.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the post was talking about trying the 8th game, but otherwise I can also attest to the excellence of the Merge mod, I was thoroughly impressed by it and occasionally load it up to mess around.

But for the previous two games, I would also recommend to play them for the first time in the original versions with the Grayface patch. For me, being able to play with mouselook and alternate resolutions is more than enough to enjoy the games as they are, but there is certainly an appeal to the mods features like the additional character, weather effects, widescreen support, &c. I'm still playing through an original version of 6 and alternate between full screen and windowed because with the patch you can resize the window, although the stretching sometimes bothers me so I switch back and forth, offhand I think it is F4 with Grayface.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Eh... I mean, playing with 5 characters is much nicer than playing with 4, so even if you focus on one game at a time, I would still prefer to do it in 8s engine, so using the merge mod.
Party size
But don't you want even more like 6 or 8?
mm08.jpg

This pic reminds me of electric weed trimming in the yard as I have a sort of hedge maze i cut around. Same thing when following deer tails in woods (I clear the branches and shit). 6 max?

OIP.ivUrOwkdO2jereJASOmVCgHaFj

8 max with 2 NPCs

875063-might-and-magic-iii-isles-of-terra-fm-towns-screenshot-combat.png

Again 6 PC + 2 NPC (though i thought a hack allowed 6 pcs)

1231044-mm5_fighting.jpg

So Xeen starts the decline of max party to 6?

Rollenspiel-Might-and-Magic-6-3D-Umgebung-640x480-14ce9795c8961216.jpg

RRQpp.jpg

MM 4 with 2 possible NPCS which aren't displayed. Gotta admit I just don't remember much beyond Xeen. Playing these would be like playing brand new for me.

Might%2Band%2BMagic%2B7%2BFor%2BBlood%2Band%2BHonor%2Bwww.pcgamefreetop.net%2B%25282%2529.jpg

70964-might-and-magic-vii-for-blood-and-honor-screenshot.jpg

MM7 again 4 and 2 NPCS (displayed where?)

283932-might-and-magic-viii-day-of-the-destroyer-windows-screenshot.png

So MM8 says you start with 1 and can find/expand up to 5. Above most of the dudes like what they see. Mohawk looks disgusted and Chick isn't happy the Naga's have very ripe bosums.

1621348442_might-and-magic-9-screenshot-2.jpg

MM 9 The party can consist of four members, expanding to seven with the addition of hirelings. Hmmm chubby chasers.

Might_and_Magic_X_Legacy_Geister-pc-games.JPG

MM 10 ... 4 is all you get.
might-magic-x-legacy-9.jpg

A spider!!!!

2423601-0002.jpg

wait! 2 possible NPCs as well?

MM XI ...Not likely

maxresdefault.jpg

I wasn't aware NES had overmap automap.

maxresdefault.jpg

???

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And the evolutions:

???
9:47 39. Might & Magic Dynasty (2016)

10:03 40. Might & Magic : Elemental Guardians (2017)

10:20 41. Might & Magic : Era of Chaos (2019)

10:32 42. Might & Magic : Chess Royale (2020)

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Rollenspiel-Might-and-Magic-6-3D-Umgebung-640x480-14ce9795c8961216.jpg

MM 4 with 2 possible NPCS which aren't displayed. Gotta admit I just don't remember much beyond Xeen. Playing these would be like playing brand new for me.

Might%2Band%2BMagic%2B7%2BFor%2BBlood%2Band%2BHonor%2Bwww.pcgamefreetop.net%2B%25282%2529.jpg

MM7 again 4 and 2 NPCS (displayed where?)

???

NPCs in MM6 abd MM7 are displayed in the two boxes to the right hand side of the screen roughly half way up just below the short range map (in the instances of both of these pictures neither party have any NPCs).

Karl Barx

Novice
Wasn't Acromage made into its own little game by someone?
isnt it in game files, standalone executable?
It is its own sequence in MM7/MM8, but 3DO released it as standalone shortly after.
Forget about playing this version on anything > Windoze 98, as it has insane compatibility issues (16bpp desktop mode...).
I can thus highly recommend Arcomage Tribute, which runs on modern systems. You'll just need to feed it assets. It was shot down for obvious reasons, but archive.org and year 2017 are your friends ;) .

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. Just wanted to comment - what a pretty series throughout its entire existence. It's just gorgeous to look at, starting with 1 and seeing the changes along the way. Each game's art style holds its own and shines. Very cool series overall, I have to play more of it! Cheers. :)

Hey guys. Just wanted to comment - what a pretty series throughout its entire existence. It's just gorgeous to look at, starting with 1 and seeing the changes along the way. Each game's art style holds its own and shines. Very cool series overall, I have to play more of it! Cheers. :)

Dude I like 6-8 a lot, but those games look like utter fucking ass.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was watching the NPCs in 8 in those vids and wonder if they move. I'm a bit undecided on the best. I loved 1 but found enemies a bit annoying in 2. Perhaps the right party makes the massive amounts seem like nothing. I'm not a fan of running from battles just to move around (I see that in a lot of vids). 3-Xeen I loved. I found them easier than 1-2 actually. 6-9 I watched a few part playthroughs and they're interesting. It looks by like the changes aren't huge and I have to say 7-9 look a little rushed (more 8-9 than 7). I'd have to watch a documentary in their production and see if they were rushed. 10 looks nice but Steam + ubisoft online = annoying as hell. Add in they've cut support like abandoning the franchise and I feel less than confident for the future.

Different computers/consoles is something to explore so I'll see if I can find all the images/roms. I first played on a c64. MM2 on c64 was torture that made Bardstale seem like speedy. When i tried DOS i couldn't believe the speed.

A lot of these extra games in the franchise (besides heroes 1-4) I never tried. Even King's Bounty eludes me.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've noticed there were a few physical releases of MMX Legacy. One is a limited edition but those aren't popping up for sale. DLC id still only ubi-steam (which is DC i guess now).

JwAdxa0.jpg

zclQWeE.jpg

Go figure. Kind of confused on the "one-time." One time activation and offline is good to go or .. one time and if you fail to activate it.. you're fucked?

This is a different sale which might be more complete but spanish? (According to sale description from Spain)
EzNcScB.jpg

You know... i hate online activation. A code would have been fine without hooking up.

Or do I fire up a pirate version since I already bought it but hate the computer the steam and ubi are on? Lotta extra shit just to play a game.

Karl Barx

Novice

Barbalos

Savant
I've noticed there were a few physical releases of MMX Legacy. One is a limited edition but those aren't popping up for sale. DLC id still only ubi-steam (which is DC i guess now).

JwAdxa0.jpg

zclQWeE.jpg

Go figure. Kind of confused on the "one-time." One time activation and offline is good to go or .. one time and if you fail to activate it.. you're fucked?

This is a different sale which might be more complete but spanish? (According to sale description from Spain)
EzNcScB.jpg
You know... i hate online activation. A code would have been fine without hooking up.

Or do I fire up a pirate version since I already bought it but hate the computer the steam and ubi are on? Lotta extra shit just to play a game.

There is still a way to play it through as far as I could tell (I played a bit with the DLC equipment).

Check https://www.reddit.com/r/MightAndMa...t_and_magic_x_legacy_manual_code_fix_to_gain/ this thread out.

Gaznak

Learned
Somewhere deep within I do know that MM6-8 are fantastic games but for me they will never match MM3-5. Though I got acquainted with the whole MM series very late (I think it's about 10-12 years ago when I was over my 30s already) I always like to imagine a hypothetical 'young me' playing Isles of Terra and Xeen in times they had been released. The overall look and feel of MM3-5 stirs something in me, something I can't properly describe. Does nostalgia for something you never experienced before exist?

Gaznak

Learned
Oh, well, despite my own statement in "Wasting Your Time" thread I still can't quit MM6 completely:). There's some weird appeal in it despite all its obvious flaws. Maybe it's similarities with previous MM games that are still present. Maybe it's great music. Maybe it's the wish to find what exactly in this game ensorcelled so many gamers through all these years. I don't know for sure but I still try to play it (unlike W&W which filled up the cup of my endurance, again).

The 'shooter-blobber' mechanics of MM6 is the main weird thing for me. Why for good God's sake I have to run in circles strafing-n-firing in party-based CRPG? Yes, there is turn-based mode. Where I can't move at all. Well, great. Train the Bow skill for everyone, stupid! I remember the fine art of arrow-throwing in MM3 where it played and felt organically and inobtrusively.

And I'm happened to be a stereotype-bound boring old fart who's used to see a Thief-type character in party-based CRPGs. I consider Thief a cool class, especially when developed into something cool, like Ninja sporting the black garb, katana and deadly fighting technics, or high-levelled Thief in DnD-based games, with all these backstabs and such. Here I have to make a quasi-Thief out of my Archer. Yeah, it can be kinda Robin Hood-like figure, a noble rogue scouting the wilderness and such but it's not the same.

And nevertheless I'm still in, strangely.

BruceVC

Magister

Dude I like 6-8 a lot, but those games look like utter fucking ass.

I assume he is commenting on them considering the era they were released and they were beautiful for their time

The first PC game I ever played was in 1991 or so and it was KQ1 on an EGA 16 colour video card....I thought it was most amazing and enthralling PC experience I had ever seen ..and I thought EGA was beautiful :cool:

Efe

Erudite
you can move at the end/start of a round in turn based

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom