Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Oh wtf... Jennifer Hale was Bastila... and DYNAHEIR?!?!! (I'm pretty sure the date's a typo; 2008 was a few years before Beamdog, whereas BG was released in 1998).

Edit: Thus, the question is, why did you NOT pick Female Trooper?

Hale-3Layout1.png

Hale-5-11.png

https://sagamer.co.za/2015/07/21/voice-actor-tuesday-jennifer-hale/

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Edit: Thus, the question is, why did you NOT pick Female Trooper?
because I don't want to play as the character voiced by the only woman who voices everything female in videogames
Er, she's been niche Bioware VA until she came to fame with Femshep. I didn't even know she played Bastila or Dynaheir or any other character.

Fake edit as I find out info in real time: Hale was also Fall-From-Grace and Deionarre. You can almost say she's part of the old Infinity crew.

Also some of the male voice actors are pretty damn famous. Steve Blum's there (everywhere). Because VA's are kind of a niche group (elitist lol) and many have voiced several dozens of characters in cartoons, much less video games. So, yes, you want voice actors with huge portfolios. Because VAs with no portfolios are basically amateurshit that nobody has ever hired.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Besides, I've done every storyline as a male besides BH and Trooper. I chose female Trooper because I knew the person behind the voice.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Besides, I've done every storyline as a male besides BH and Trooper. I chose female Trooper because I knew the person behind the voice.
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:
Have you not played Mass Effect?
it's ok, you don't need to justify why you feel the need to roleplay as a woman on this forum
I already did. I did heavy research on VAs for fun and curiosity bc I'm insane a while ago. I know what I was looking for.

Though for Mass Effect, in fact I played male because I default play male unless there's a big reason not to. So I'm stomaching the male VA while watching the rest of the Codex fap over Hale.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Pst did anyone grab the way-too-expensive expansion chapter?

It's ironically fun. Still too expensive.

Edit: Man, I wonder how many SJWs this triggered

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
How long is Onslaught? Does that negress from the cover replace Satele as head of the Jedi?
short
no

she actually pretty much disappears after the intro part, I guess they realized nobody likes her
Yeah actually all of those characters don't feature much and/or die. They're either quest givers or bosses.

In fact the most annoying one was the Twilek because she was a companion and you're stuck with her for a while. Now she's the ACTUAL sjw. On the other hand, I'm afforded the opportunity to slice and dice the negress. Appearances deceive, eh?

But this playthrough I noticed I mmiiiight be able to play with without that bitch.

I suppose to be on the safe side, just go Empire so you can kill SJW.

Actually funny story, Jorjelu Kes, my Jedi Knight, allowed Valkorian to channel force lightning against Arcann. I didn't do that with my SW or my Inquisitor. Apparently hundreds of thousands of other people died lmao

The problem is... I'm worried about Dark Side choices because all of those choices help Valkorian take control of me. Which he already did when I rejected him on my SW and SI (Sith don't trust each other brah). But who knows what happens now.

Edit: I think what gets me through KOTET/KOTFE is Valkorian. They got the perfect voice actor, modeled his face just like a father figure seducing you to the Dark Side, not to mention he has such a poker face I cannot tell when he's lying. Arcann was disappointing since.... well since he loses relevance but also because I can't turn him into my Dark Apprentice.

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
How long is Onslaught? Does that negress from the cover replace Satele as head of the Jedi?
short
no

she actually pretty much disappears after the intro part, I guess they realized nobody likes her
Yeah actually all of those characters don't feature much and/or die. They're either quest givers or bosses.

In fact the most annoying one was the Twilek because she was a companion and you're stuck with her for a while. Now she's the ACTUAL sjw. On the other hand, I'm afforded the opportunity to slice and dice the negress. Appearances deceive, eh?

But this playthrough I noticed I mmiiiight be able to play with without that bitch.

I suppose to be on the safe side, just go Empire so you can kill SJW.

Actually funny story, Jorjelu Kes, my Jedi Knight, allowed Valkorian to channel force lightning against Arcann. I didn't do that with my SW or my Inquisitor. Apparently hundreds of thousands of other people died lmao

The problem is... I'm worried about Dark Side choices because all of those choices help Valkorian take control of me. Which he already did when I rejected him on my SW and SI (Sith don't trust each other brah). But who knows what happens now.

Edit: I think what gets me through KOTET/KOTFE is Valkorian. They got the perfect voice actor, modeled his face just like a father figure seducing you to the Dark Side, not to mention he has such a poker face I cannot tell when he's lying. Arcann was disappointing since.... well since he loses relevance but also because I can't turn him into my Dark Apprentice.

Yeah Valkorion is cool, when i was playing my Jedi Defender from tokens i wanted to serve him, sadly i then read that its not possible and i only used his powers and advice in rare moments. I didnt know then anything about his plan concerning whole galaxy though.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
OH I get it. When Valkorian is disappointed in your efforts he's talking about your destroying externally AND destroying you "internally," as to hollow out for Valkorian's next vessel.

This may be how Valkorian has done what he's done.

You could consider Vaylin a failed attempt at "conditioning" a person for Valkorian because she was way too powerful.

And Arcann didn't gain attention until he killed his brother, aka turning him more into his father. Only then did Valkorian approve of him.

He wants to be me.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah Valkorion is cool, when i was playing my Jedi Defender from tokens i wanted to serve him, sadly i then read that its not possible and i only used his powers and advice in rare moments. I didnt know then anything about his plan concerning whole galaxy though.
Yeah, the biggest problem with Valkorion is that both the Empire and Republic hate him because the last thing he did was Darth Nihl-ify Ziost. Thus, even as a Sith Warrior or Inquisitor, I couldn't let that happen. That just makes too much sense.

And yet, almost everybody talks about how we have to do things differently, work with the people you thought were enemies. Major example being Satele and Marr. (Assuming those weren't Valkorion's illusions)

So on my JK I'm really tempted to just end the world.

Whoa I just realized that JK can be used as an acronym for "Jorjelu Kes."

Edit: Funny thing is that I am so tired of this type of MMO combat... but Kotor's Aurora-derivative engine is SOOO BAD that at least this is schlocky and enjoyable.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Yeah, the biggest problem with Valkorion is that both the Empire and Republic hate him because the last thing he did was Darth Nihl-ify Ziost. Thus, even as a Sith Warrior or Inquisitor, I couldn't let that happen. That just makes too much sense.

And yet, almost everybody talks about how we have to do things differently, work with the people you thought were enemies. Major example being Satele and Marr. (Assuming those weren't Valkorion's illusions)

Edit: Funny thing is that I am so tired of this type of MMO combat... but Kotor's Aurora-derivative engine is SOOO BAD that at least this is schlocky and enjoyable.

And if we are talking about technical side of things, Biofags are so fucking lazy 10 years of textures are all next to eachother, something that was low resolution even on premiere is next to something that has actuall details like KOTFE stuff. Even worse compare newest models to older ones, those faggots should make a great graphical overhaul to make something from all of this mess.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

And if we are talking about technical side of things, Biofags are so fucking lazy 10 years of textures are all next to eachother, something that was low resolution even on premiere is next to something that has actuall details like KOTFE stuff. Even worse compare newest models to older ones, those faggots should make a great graphical overhaul to make something from all of this mess.
Still 100% better than Aurora engine. ESPECIALLY the Kotor version for.. too many reasons. NWN2 was the peak of Aurora engine, and that peak wasn't even that high.

That being said, you could spend hours and hours playing very good custom modules in NWN. I think they tried to do many things with NWN. Because the module-building aspect/tools are really really good. So half the product is actually good. The other half - such as the OC - they are shit. (Well also that the community could write better than Gaider)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You know the Aurora Engine began with NWN1 and ended with NWN2 right lol. DAO is almost the opposite, both mechanically and also in terms of mod tools.

Codex Year of the Donut
NWN2 was the peak of Aurora engine
hwut

mechanically? dragon age origins/DA2, no contest.
Does Dragon Age Origins use the Aurora Engine?

Edit: Nope, it runs Eclipse.

Kotor (and probably Jade Empire) uses Aurora-ported-to-console derivatives.
DAO uses an updated Aurora engine.
The only one specifically referred to as "Aurora engine" is the one used by NWN, but they(NWN, Kotor, Kotor 2, NWN 2, DAO, DA2, ...) all use the same underlying technology that was updated over the years.

Codex Year of the Donut
You know the Aurora Engine began with NWN1 and ended with NWN2 right lol. DAO is almost the opposite, both mechanically and also in terms of mod tools.
NWN2's engine was referred to as "Electron"

Yes, each version had their own differences obviously, in the same way Skyrim and FO4 have engine differences but nobody would claim they run on different engines. If you want to understand the underlying technology, check out the xoreos reimplementation project.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
NWN2 was the peak of Aurora engine
hwut

mechanically? dragon age origins/DA2, no contest.
Does Dragon Age Origins use the Aurora Engine?

Edit: Nope, it runs Eclipse.

Kotor (and probably Jade Empire) uses Aurora-ported-to-console derivatives.
DAO uses an updated Aurora engine.
The only one specifically referred to as "Aurora engine" is the one used by NWN, but they(NWN, Kotor, Kotor 2, NWN 2, DAO, DA2, ...) all use the same underlying technology that was updated over the years.
Uh, no.

Aurora Engine was the successor to the Infinity Engine.

Odyssey Engine was an adaptation of Aurora Engine for consoles, as well as for NWN2.

Eclipse Engine is the successor to the Odyssey Engine.

It's not even the same, in terms of production history.

NWN1 was designed for a single player playing a single character online with other individuals, with a GM who used the tools to make mod campaigns for them. Yes, this was the original goal. Online tabletop. The Aurora Engine was not intended for the player to control more than one character. Thus, all through NWN1, vanilla to HOTU, you were provided with henchmen.

Odyssey was a bad a attempt to control a party of three, as it still relied on one player playing one character, allowing you to switch between the 3 characters. To assist that type of gameplay Bioware added with (broken) action-queuing so that you can switch to another character and do the same thing, then switch to the next character and do the same thing.

NWN2 was essentially the best they could do to hackjob a party system using an engine that specifically tied one player to one character.

It's not simply about engine names, you gotta look up the production history.

[Yes, each version had their own differences obviously, in the same way Skyrim and FO4 have engine differences but nobody would claim they run on different engines. If you want to understand the underlying technology, check out the xoreos reimplementation project.
Skyrim, FO4, and almost any close-to-mainstream games usually cannot legally claim they run different engines. Because usually they all use the newest Unreal Engine. I am very, very familiar with Unreal's prevalence I'm a tweak-a-holic, the configuration *.ini are almost always the same format, with the same variables, to the point where I can look up shit in https://docs.unrealengine.com/ (For example, a custom graphics setting that uses high textures/shaders but without postprocessing... You'll need to create a *.ini for that... And then test.. and test and test.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yes I'm fucked in the head and I actually look up this shit for fun when I'm bored. lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom