Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL: Obsidian's Best RPG

Best Obsidian RPG?

• KOTOR 2

Votes: 44 15.7%
  • NWN 2 (w/o MotB)

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Alpha Protocol

Votes: 29 10.3%
  • New Vegas

Votes: 145 51.6%
  • Dungeon Siege 3

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Stick of Truth

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Pillars 2

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Outer Worlds

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

BruceVC

Magister
Why Dungeon Siege 3 is in that list? Is not a RPG like the first two games. Is just a gear farming, cooldown managing "game"
because it was the last game obsidian made that had attractive female characters

I concur, DS3 definitely had some hotties :incline:

Codex Year of the Donut
Wonder if pillows games would have been more successful with coop.
Might be a key to financial success for future RPGs because it captures a portion of the audience that would otherwise be uninterested.

Tsubutai

Educated
Picked new vegas but I'd say it's on par with the fixed version of KOTOR II and Alpha Protocol. Tyranny and NWN2 are a couple of notches below those, Pillars 1 & 2 a couple of notches further down, and Outer Worlds is lying in a broken heap down at the bottom of the scale, stinking the place out.

Humbaba

Arcane
Mods aren't made by Obsidian tho.

The problem here is, you added the option of NWN2 explicitly without MotB.

So people who only liked MotB... what are they gonna vote for, if they consider it the only worthwhile Obsidian game?

And what about Storms of Zehir? That's not explicitly excluded from the list. Can you vote for NWN2 if you dislike the base game but think SoZ is the best Obsidian game?

Mods aren't made by Obsidian tho.

Why does that matter? MotB was made by different people than the base game. The only difference between the expansion and mods is the Obsidian logo slapped on one but not the other. Companies aren't monolithic.

So people who only liked MotB... what are they gonna vote for, if they consider it the only worthwhile Obsidian game?

They can vote for an actual full sized RPG.

And what about Storms of Zehir? That's not explicitly excluded from the list. Can you vote for NWN2 if you dislike the base game but think SoZ is the best Obsidian game?

By logical extension SoZ doesn't count either. Again, if it was a standalone things would be different.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They can vote for an actual full sized RPG.

By logical extension SoZ doesn't count either. Again, if it was a standalone things would be different.

But... the campaigns of the expansions are full sized, with a similar amount of content as the OC.

You're aware that those were classical expansion packs, right, and not modern DLCs with 1/8th of the playtime of the original?

If Fallout 2 were an expansion pack for Fallout 1, rather than a standalone - which would have been possible considering it's the same engine with only minor changes - would you also consider it to not count as a full game?

Humbaba

Arcane
But... the campaigns of the expansions are full sized, with a similar amount of content as the OC.

You're aware that those were classical expansion packs, right, and not modern DLCs with 1/8th of the playtime of the original?

If Fallout 2 were an expansion pack for Fallout 1, rather than a standalone - which would have been possible considering it's the same engine with only minor changes - would you also consider it to not count as a full game?

No, MotB is much shorter than the original campaign. According to "How Long to Beat" a completionist run of NWN2 takes 100+ hours, MotB only 30+. Main story only is 50 vs 15 hours.

Idk, you should ask the alternate universe version of me who lives in a world where this fantasy scenario is reality.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
According to "How Long to Beat" a completionist run of NWN2 takes 100+ hours, MotB only 30+. Main story only is 50 vs 15 hours.

30 hours is the perfect length for a normal full sized game without needless filler.

Fallout 1 takes me around 10 hours to finish on a completionist playthrough.
Main story only as 50 hours is insanely fucking long, definite sign of there being too much filler.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
According to "How Long to Beat" a completionist run of NWN2 takes 100+ hours, MotB only 30+. Main story only is 50 vs 15 hours.

30 hours is the perfect length for a normal full sized game without needless filler.

Main story only as 50 hours is insanely fucking long, definite sign of there being too much filler.
Underrail main campaign would probably take over a hundred hours on the first play through, Expedition not even being counted, and it's hardly filled with needles filler (hint, it's a masterpiece). I dislike these time generalizations from the both of you. I haven't played either NWN2 or MotB but there has to be a better way to determine whether or not MotB should be considered a stand alone game then just "It ToOk X aMoUnT oF tImE".

Camel

Scholar
1. NWN 2 with MotB.
2. Fallout New Vegas.
3. KOTOR 2(Pity it's got butchered endgame with empty corridors of Malachor 5).
4. Alpha Protocol(Good game with big flaws but excellent dialogues, C&C and larger than life characters).

Strangely I always enjoyed replaying KOTOR 2 and AP while I finished FNV only once with the NCR run. Maybe it's sheer scale of FNV even if some of the Legion's ideals had some attraction compared to corrupt NCR where money and brahmin barons ruled.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Are there any chances that one would like Fallout: New Vegas if you didn't like Fallout 3 ? Finishing Fallout 3 didn't leave me wanting more so I never gave New Vegas a try as it looks no different on a first glance.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Are there any chances that one would like Fallout: New Vegas if you didn't like Fallout 3 ? Finishing Fallout 3 didn't leave me wanting more so I never gave New Vegas a try as it looks no different on a first glance.

I have a total of 3 hours in Fallout 3, barely even getting past the tutorial before dropping of boredom, and I have 70+ in new Vegas, and I have enjoyed every single one of them.
The games are very different in design philosophy and quality.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yep. I don't get people who compare FL3 with FNV

FNV :
  • Has aim down sights
  • Has way better weapon mechanics, and ammo variety. You can use incendiary and explosive .50 BMG rounds
  • No retarded things, like supermutants with superhuman strength using a .32 pipe rifle(note that they throwing rocks or spears are probably way more deadlier)
  • Amazing reputation system for each settlement and guild
  • The world makes way more sense, you see agricultural fields and things like that
  • Better armor mechanics
  • Way more consequences for your actions
  • You can use medicine, repair and so on to solve 1001 problems around the world.
  • Way less level scaling
  • (...)

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

Dude, he compared George Ziets, Kevin Saunders and Alexander Brandon to modders. He's trolling.

Trashos

Arcane
MotB is legendary and beloved around here regardless of NWN OC, so it would make sense to allow the people who love it to express themselves. Anyway, maybe it is too late.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
FNV :
  • Has aim down sights

That was actually one of the things I had hoped they didn’t add as it made the situation feel even more player-centric. In an RPG - in my view, at least - the players job is to merely suggest the character where to shoot after which the character does his best to accomplish the task.

Humbaba

Arcane
there has to be a better way to determine whether or not MotB should be considered a stand alone game then just "It ToOk X aMoUnT oF tImE".

Ok, how about the fact that MotB is in fact not a standalone game?

Dude, he compared George Ziets, Kevin Saunders and Alexander Brandon to modders. He's trolling.

I mean you can always virtue signal about your personal heroes and completely misconstrue my argument if that's your thing but I think there are more productive things you could do in your free time.

Yep. I don't get people who compare FL3 with FNV

FNV :
  • Has aim down sights
  • Has way better weapon mechanics, and ammo variety. You can use incendiary and explosive .50 BMG rounds
  • No retarded things, like supermutants with superhuman strength using a .32 pipe rifle(note that they throwing rocks or spears are probably way more deadlier)
  • Amazing reputation system for each settlement and guild
  • The world makes way more sense, you see agricultural fields and things like that
  • Better armor mechanics
  • Way more consequences for your actions
  • You can use medicine, repair and so on to solve 1001 problems around the world.
  • Way less level scaling
  • (...)
You don't get it? Ok, they use the same engine, play 99% the same, look 99% the same,
who wants to join me in the "didn't think new vegas was all that amazing" club?

Im summary what are the things you didnt like about F:NV. Before I join your club I just want to ensure we all agree on the clubs manifesto :cool:
1. Many people agree it was good. Wide popularity = normal people like it = I'm not special for liking it, so maybe I can be special for hating it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom