Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Jrpgfan

Erudite
So, has anyone played the new DLC yet? Is it worth purchasing the base game for it?

And I wonder how much the game has changed since release even without the expansions. I stopped my campaign halfway through it I think.

Antigoon

Augur
I am just about 2 hour in, but its quite obvious they put less work into it that DLC than they put into the first one. The plot, setting etc. are all very generic. Battles are somewhat longer, multi-stages/objectives with respawning enemies, can't say I like it too much so far. Feels like a lazy way to not bother with any encounter design, just throw an insane amount of enemies at you and call it a day. Its not even challenging so far, just takes forever to finish all objectives in a fight.

jackofshadows

Magister
Sooooo, this game is actually good? Got burned a bit by W2 (bugs, trashy ugly3d visuals, some issues with combat and char systems)
Read this. It's not a good game, not terribad either. Better than recent Encased for sure and better than Trudograd because of the combat (I thought WL3 was too easy and therefore combat was meaningless but it's fucking hardcore compared to TG and WL3 has been patched all this time since release).

Latelistener

Arcane
Since MS bought Inxile, they've updated their regional prices. Most of their games were heavily overpriced before, but now they follow the Steam guidelines literally for every single region.

So if the base game was around $27, now it's just under $10. And the whole Colorado Collection with the 44% discount is closer to $9.

So I've bought it, but I'm still slightly uncomfortable about the fact that you aren't getting the actual expansion pass from this collection.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
The base game is one of the better CRPGs on the market but the DLCs from what I've seen are small, gimmicky and very very unfunny.

For real, the base WL3 is arguably the best game out modern crowdfunded RPGs, but DLCs are super uninspired. You can tell Ziets isn't involved anymore.

I didn't know Ziets wasn't involved in the DLCs. Actually, it was this one he left even before development ended, isn't it?

I guess I won't bother with them then and just finish the base game on gamepass.

Shin

Cipher
I'm currently playing through WL3 for the first time. I'm at level 15 currently, plodding through Steeltown and I have to say that this game is very mediocre so far. The character progression and combat encounters are enjoyable (although its very basic). The story, dialogue and the voice acting lack any charm whatsoever and are horrendous at times. I've had about half a dozen play sessions so far and I keep switching between having no voice acting and 'very low volume' voice acting cause they're so infuriating. The 'humor', aimed at 14 year olds, brings the entire experience down to a level where one simply doesn't give a fuck about anything that's happening in terms of narrative. Every other corner there will be something "quirky" and "funnay" and "retarded" just "forthelulz" and I seriously can't remember it being nearly as bad in WL2. Who was the target audience for this crummy, infantile, callow style of writing? People who liked WL1 but hit their head in the swimming pool thereafter and now suffer from some mental defect and giggle each time they take a shit?

After patching this thing and releasing their collectors edition or whatnot, inXile should really dump this franchise and move on to greener pastures (in the context of isometric turn based cRPG's).

Acrux

Arcane
I struggle with it. I think that being mediocre overall (nothing especially bad, nothing especially great) hurts it quite a bit. Usually while I'm playing I think of another game that did some aspect better and wish I was playing that.

Antigoon

Augur
Finished it in probably 4 hours. Def. worse than Steeltown. Fights are all the same, ignore all enemies and rush from point A to B to C until, after you interact with the final objective, all enemies disappear and you have won the fight. Overall I am not sure these DLCs are a good addition to the main campaign. Unless they also did some major changes to it, I don't see how its not getting way too easy considering all that op stuff you are getting there. That one pet alone can probably turn any end-game encounter into a cake walk.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-3-hotfix-1-6-1-now-live

Wasteland 3 Hotfix 1.6.1 Now Live

Grab that coffee and prepare to toboggan through a veritable gauntlet of post-apocalyptic patch notes! Hot on the heels of our second (and final) DLC’s release, we’re serving up a plate of fixes and tweaks that are sure to please. Now, what’s this 1.6.1 business we’re talking about?! What the hell happened to 1.5.4? Or 1.6.0 for that matter?! The simple explanation is that patch version numbers are meaningless and everything is meaningless and time is a flat circle. No matter. Drink more coffee. Maybe splash something extra in it.

Cheyenne Mountain (Cult of the Holy Detonation)

• Cheyenne Entrance:

• Updated a cryo landmine to let you avoid it more easily when interacting with a nearby chest. We agree, it was a cheap shot.

• If they die, Boris and Natasha will no longer return from the grave when saving and reloading.

• Research Level:

• Adjusted the pacing of the Particle Accelerator combat in the following ways:

• Increased the armor of the Particle Cannons.

• Reduced the max enemies that can be on the battlefield at one time while increasing the spawn rate of enemies to improve pacing.

• The encounter will spawn fewer zealots and evangelists, in favor of spawning more initiates.

• Security Level:

• Improvements have been made to Sister Strontium. She’ll pull you in from a more reasonable distance, and the guard there will do a better job of detecting you if called.

• Improvements have been made to Caul in the Security Level. You’ll no longer get detected by enemies while stuck in his conversation.

• The Holy Detonation:

• Resolved an issue where Cultists would occasionally spawn in spaces they couldn’t move out of.

• Improvements have been made to the final combat encounter; there’s now less chance of being boxed in by enemies while navigating that area.

• We’ve increased the movement speed of the final boss to make that encounter a bit faster-paced.

• Nuke Grenades now properly deal explosive damage. They should be MUCH more effective now.

• The Uranium Sprayer’s special ability now only sprays on enemies, reducing the chances of awkward situations with your squadmates.

• “Increased the volume of the Skin Flute” is a patch note I never thought I’d write but here we are.

• The crane cutscene in the Loading Dock encounter will now reveal the fog of war in a larger area, making it easier to see. When they said “make a cutscene” we didn’t mean it to be a literal cut scene.

• Fixed a bug where a certain party follower would lose their special status effect buff if you reloaded the game. Let the projectile vomit flow!

• The smashable wall in the Security Level now makes a sound when destroyed. Your smashing experience will now be significantly more satisfying.

• The song ‘Down in the Valley to Pray’ will now loop properly during the Research Level combat encounter.

• The song ‘Power in the Blood’ now plays properly in the Power Storage Facility encounter.

• The fog of war on one of the random World Map Cultist encounters will now reveal the map properly.

• The Proteus will now play the correct death animation if killed in the Observation Level. If you thought the Proteus was gross before, woo buddy...

• The Surge Blaster is now not so literal. We fixed an exploit in the final battle where using that weapon to stun a certain spawner could cause all enemies to stop spawning.

• Theo Curie now appropriately reacts to players’ radiation state, and will no longer acknowledge you as “glowing” when your party doesn’t have any stacks of Holy Radiation on them. Even brilliant scientists make mistakes, apparently.

• Fixed a couple of reactions from the stalkers who mock you throughout Cheyenne Mountain.

• [Controller] Fixed a bug where an invisible switch was accidentally accessible to a player while using a gamepad in the Loading Docks.

The Battle of Steeltown

• We resolved an issue that could result in an infinite friendly turn during combat with the Ghost Gang at Steeltown’s Exterior. ‘Infinite friendly turn’ sounds like a beautiful state to be in, but it’s really not.

Co-op

• [Consoles] We resolved an issue that could cause a player’s game to freeze when the partner left the game unexpectedly.

• We resolved an issue that was preventing the guest player from creating the Flesh Prince in the Cheyenne Mountain secret lab. Sounds harmless enough.

Parabalus

Arcane
The pets and companions seem to scale obscenely and win fights on their own at higher levels, there are at least 5 "free" ones which don't require any pet skill. Then you add the pets to that.

If you want 2 animal companions on one char

Have one active and buy the parrot from the Bizzare. Is permanent as long as you don't dismiss either of them.

Saduj

Arcane
Finished the 2nd DLC last night. I actually don't mind the fights centered around reaching an objective while facing newly spawning enemies every turn. The problem is that they shoehorn this gimmick into almost every fight in the DLC and for the most part, those fights were even easier than straight up fights. I was playing with five Rangers plus the Uber Clone for part of the time (he died) and Night Terror towards the end. With a small party, the last fight was pretty tough and I had one Ranger who was one knock down away from death after being caught way out of position. Once again, I ended up killing almost everyone. Really tried to avoid it this time but it seems like the only way to end things peacefully is to
allow moron cultists to mutate one of your characters into a mindless drool who leaves your party. Honestly, both factions are so idiotic that killing them makes the most sense anyway.

The DLCs are OK but IMO, if I had played the DLCs with the base game, I would have been pretty tired of it all by the end. Probably a better experience if you just play the original content.

Parabalus

Arcane
The DLCs are OK but IMO, if I had played the DLCs with the base game, I would have been pretty tired of it all by the end. Probably a better experience if you just play the original content.

This has been my experience on a blind playthrough. DLCs don't fit in anywhere, ended up begrudgingly doing DLC1 before the endgame.

Don't, skip it.

Barbarian

Arcane
That is sad to hear. I was waiting for the 2 dlcs in order to replay the game. Bought both of them already.

Hope you guys are exxagerating. In any case I hope the base game has since been improved.

Can you play with a full npc party now? I was annoyed that you always had to have at least 2 player created characters instead of just one.

Also, are there new recruits?

Saduj

Arcane
That is sad to hear. I was waiting for the 2 dlcs in order to replay the game. Bought both of them already.

Hope you guys are exxagerating. In any case I hope the base game has since been improved.

Can you play with a full npc party now? I was annoyed that you always had to have at least 2 player created characters instead of just one.

Also, are there new recruits?

Party comp is the same. No new recruits but there are new computer controlled followers along the lines of Party Bot and The Provost.

Parabalus

Arcane
After finishing this, I'd advise everyone to simply skip it.

Technically it's very polished, but it's so soulless and pointless. Just standardised RPG content, game seems to be without an ounce of creativity.

The combat is popamole and easy, the skill system is retarded, items are forgettable etc.

Last edited:

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I've been waiting for both DLCs to replay this game as I quite enjoyed it back when it first came out.

Having just finished Steeltown, I get the distinct impression that it's written by a twenty-something woman. There's this bitterness and passive-agressiveness that permeates everything.

Even as you meet and talk to goofy robots and talking toilets, what should be fun just feels schizophrenic.

If this is indeed the better of the two DLCs, I'm not really looking forward to the second one. Gonna give it a shot though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom