Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Codex Year of the Donut
disappointed with how boring equipment is, feels like they took the complete opposite design of the rest of the game with its extensive customization
also, the constant dropdown ninjas in the factions campaign is pretty annoying, reminds me of DA2

otherwise pretty good
It's a third person diablo with party NPCs and no loot.
he was right in the 'no loot' part, feels like babby's first diablo clone in regards to itemization
way more tacticool than left button clicker games tho, especially when managing multiple heroes

The focus in development was on PvP and ensuring that complex itemization and farming wasn't necessary to play at a high level.

Black

Arcane
disappointed with how boring equipment is, feels like they took the complete opposite design of the rest of the game with its extensive customization
also, the constant dropdown ninjas in the factions campaign is pretty annoying, reminds me of DA2

otherwise pretty good
It's a third person diablo with party NPCs and no loot.
he was right in the 'no loot' part, feels like babby's first diablo clone in regards to itemization
way more tacticool than left button clicker games tho, especially when managing multiple heroes
How about you throw us your nickname

Codex Year of the Donut
The focus in development was on PvP and ensuring that complex itemization and farming wasn't necessary to play at a high level.
yes but it takes away my dopamine treadmill :negative:

Really not interested in the pvp so I realize the game isn't exactly for me(although it seems as the game went on they realized the PvE was fun and shifted more towards it I guess?), but there's so few RPGs that let you play with an entire customizable party without controlling the party itself.

in gw you don't loot for items, you loot for skins. style over matter. 99% of gw is cosmetics. basic armor and supadupadeluxe armor have the same stats.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really not interested in the pvp so I realize the game isn't exactly for me(although it seems as the game went on they realized the PvE was fun and shifted more towards it I guess?), but there's so few RPGs that let you play with an entire customizable party without controlling the party itself.
They realized that PVE was what would bring in customers willing to pay for more content, so they kept on adding these new campaigns, with new character classes and new skills, which the pvpers then would also have to acquire to stay competitive, but also messing up the balance in the process (see Josh, balance matters for pvp games, not for pve).

All in all, I am under impression the GW pve content was ultimately an inferior experience to that offered by WoW. I'm going out on a limb here, as I neither was too interested in pve - though I put in a good many hours in that too - nor ever played WoW.

The MTG inspired builds, both party and individual, was really the heart of GW, and the dumbing down of GW2 in that regard was my greatest woe. :(

GW pve content was ultimately an inferior experience to that offered by WoW
1000% disagree. gw pve is still a unique experience, with all the targets prioritizing, specific use of skills, and stuff. only tabula rasa did something vaguely similar. rest is, one way or another, "sit there and cycle from 1 to 9 on the closest mob".

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GW pve content was ultimately an inferior experience to that offered by WoW
1000% disagree. gw pve is still a unique experience, with all the targets prioritizing, specific use of skills, and stuff. only tabula rasa did something vaguely similar. rest is, one way or another, "sit there and cycle from 1 to 9 on the closest mob".
Ok, as i said i never played wow. But in any case, pve was so easy compared to pvp that it hardly could hold my interest for too long. PVE in those other games must be horribly mindnumbing then :|

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
pve was so easy compared to pvp
mungri magicbox disagrees.

hell, fissure and the other special place, you know which one, do too.
I’m not talking about random arenas, btw.

I don’t know these places you mentioned anymore, maybe FoW and its ilk at hard mode with heroes only would’ve been challenging, just that top pvp guilds casually melted face and made it top-1 on any map that had a ranking list on it.

I mean, you can’t really compare the experience of playing against top-20 guilds in a tournament vs trying to beat an AI. The element of surprise and creativity is always so different.

The PvE w/ 7 heroes letting you fully customize 64 skill slots with over a thousand available skills is still excellent and can't really be compared to any MMO where you're only managing a single character.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Don't forget that GW1 maps had determined enemy layouts including enemy parties and encounter design.

Unlike WoW, where you walk outside and mobs are just randomly wandering around on their own, and they might or might not be allied to each other and come to their aid if you happen to get in their aggro range, GW1 had hand-placed enemies with set patrol routes, groups and compositions. It's not just a couple of Enemy Henchmen, they have a Warrior in front, a Mesmer and Ranger for distraction and utility and a Monk in the back for healing. Accounting for this is an important part of PVE as the average overworld encounter tends to be much more challenging than it would be on WoW, where you just hopefully pick off mobs one at a time.

The game even lets you see your aggro range in the radar, and a lot of strategies revolve around carefully sneaking between enemy patrols by dancing around their patrol routes (which are, again, hand-crafted and play more like puzzles than just passing as far away from mobs as possible).

Black

Arcane
Gear does matter in GW1 but not to the extent of like it does in Diablo-likes where gear can make or break your character.

fork

And tbh, collecting 105 or so ectos and shards for a cosmetic upgrade is more satisfying than farming for perfect stats.

fork

GuildWars is the only one of its kind. There's no better game that's similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

fork

Is there anyone here willing to kinda nolive GuildWars again?
I'd be up for it, but I don't feel like soloing everything.

And btw., do 55hp builds still work?

Black

Arcane
Is there anyone here willing to kinda nolive GuildWars again?
I'd be up for it, but I don't feel like soloing everything.

And btw., do 55hp builds still work?
I sometimes play, add me, Ragna Fall, and see if I'm on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom