Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

jackofshadows

Magister
No, in MM6 vanilla you cannot. They added the ability to walk between rounds in MM7. You can still abuse the shit out of mode-switching anyway, though.

jackofshadows

Magister
You can still abuse the shit out of mode-switching anyway, though.

It's exactly what I expect to have to do when I start playing a CRPG with combat mode switching: switch the f***ing button to death. After all, maybe MM7 is the thing I should try instead?:?
Maybe. What's best is an eternal debate but at least you will be able to play mostly in TB mode if you want (remember that walking backwards is still slower than forward so you would want to make a u-turn every time you kite which could be tiresome). I personally prefer MM7 as a whole and mostly play in RT there.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There is still a way to play it through as far as I could tell (I played a bit with the DLC equipment).

Check https://www.reddit.com/r/MightAndMa...t_and_magic_x_legacy_manual_code_fix_to_gain/ this thread out.
Anyone here try this. Lordy I wish those files were stored somewhere else. Samn sketchy site kicked me 10 times.

derp... this one took me to the files rather than the link host ones
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ABNDt_4LRorQYME&id=F1DA03435DD2879F!107&cid=F1DA03435DD2879F

Now can i figure it out even with instructions? Can i move this game from one computer to another? Dunno. I usually fuck this shit up.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Dude I like 6-8 a lot, but those games look like utter fucking ass.

I assume he is commenting on them considering the era they were released and they were beautiful for their time
They looked like ass even then, especially 8 by the time it was released. They're great games, no doubt about that but while being more graphically primitive 3-5 looked, and still look better.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I got a kick out of watching the planet explode.

If I was a trillionaire I'd buy the old ips and hire those that truly loved the ips. Best equipment and shit available for the geeks to program to their hearts content. I thought maybe give the IP back to the original creators but they might fuck it off to the trash again. I would consult and hire them to the teams. But that high fantasy is more fantastic than being high on mushrooms.

Gaznak

Learned

Oh, well, of course. I'm a lamer, no question. But the need to use primarily your brains and not your fingers and reflexes while playing CRPGs seems more... I don't know... expected and logical for me. I just look at the gameplay of MM6-8 versus, say, MM1-2, and I feel a keen temptation to call it degradation in almost every area safe graphics.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I love 1 more than 2. I still have my maps around somewhere. Loved those early games as they even gave you mapping sheets to copy. Wiz 1 had the grids and MM had those connect the dots.

Gaznak

Learned
Well, then LTP in TB. It really is no biggie.

Well, I think that the problem (for me at least) is not in mode switching per se but rather in its combination with other gameplay mechanics of MM6 (and MM7-8, I suppose), like free movement in 3D wolrd and so on. I can't get rid of feeling that JVC and Co wanted so badly to try the cutting edge technologies of that era that they just shoved their beloved serie in new skin with all its peculiarities which just don't fit to this new skin.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Guys, I'm thinking getting into M&M. Never played any, not sure which one to start with. Never played any blobber actually but I'm game. I'm looking for some good adventure, decent story, nicely made world, and mostly being able to play the game for fun and fair challenge. I'm not a min-maxer or farmer, I just enjoy a good memorable trip in a foreign land with some liberty to do my own experiments. I don't mind old stuff.
So, which one should I choose ?

jackofshadows

Magister
Guys, I'm thinking getting into M&M. Never played any, not sure which one to start with. Never played any blobber actually but I'm game. I'm looking for some good adventure, decent story, nicely made world, and mostly being able to play the game for fun and fair challenge. I'm not a min-maxer or farmer, I just enjoy a good memorable trip in a foreign land with some liberty to do my own experiments. I don't mind old stuff.
Look at the poll and start trying out from the most popular to the least, I'd say, seriously. Not that the series has overarching plot or something like that. Starting off with X (the best and only way to get it are the torrents though currently) or IV-V would be fine too, I think.

Gaznak

Learned

If you prefer the good old double shot - turn-based combat and grid-based movement - then I'd vote for MM3 or MM4-5 (personally I prefer the former). I think it will be the best introduction into the magic world of blobbers.

They has it all
good adventure, decent story, nicely made world, fun and fair challenge

As for other blobbers (offtop):

I would mention also one of my favorite blobbers of all time, Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard but it's not very approachable for a blobber novice.

Anvil of Dawn is one of my favs too, and very novice-accessible, it even has no party, you will choose and play as only one of 5 characters.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm not sure I'd suggest Hexx, unless the unofficial patches fix that nasty issue where keys disappear as you change levels.
That said any between 3-8 are good. Nothing against the first two, they're just a bit awkward to start off with these days. The games up until 5 don't really have much of a story IIRC, but 6-8 all have a decent story. Not amazing, they're always just there since the series is primarily hack and slash.

thelegend

Learned
Top pc non rpgs - Might and Magic 3 was the best out of the poll
But 6 & 7 are the best in the lot according to the poll

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Decent story? For Blodd and Honor (VII)
Best one? Isles of Terra (III)
Biggest World? Mandate of Heaven or World of Xeen (VI and IV+V)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not sure I'd suggest Hexx, unless the unofficial patches fix that nasty issue where keys disappear as you change levels.
I remember finishing it a long time ago. But this bug makes me think that all Bloodwych series is cursed. I had a marvelous bug in PC version of Bloodwych where entire level was corrupted cell by cell.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
In a way, I'd say the way ranged was handled in 3 eventually led to the circle strafe arrowing in the later games. Nah, can't be. Loved 3-5 good fun.

I wonder what the best death screen is for games?
215411-hexx-heresy-of-the-wizard-dos-screenshot-well-thanks-for-saying.png

When you're such a bad ass you only wear a helmet and use a shield for armor because... coolness.
1632580653-654369861.jpg

Gaznak

Learned
the unofficial patches fix that nasty issue where keys disappear as you change levels

Everyone interested could PM me to get the fixed version.

Getting back to topic, I have a few questions about MM6:

1) Is there a mod to change fonts (especially that horrible italic which is everywhere)?

2) In previous MMs you could "unlearn" skills. It seems that you can not in MM6, right? And what about MM7-8?

3) I noticed a difference between guides and FAQs and the real game concerning the starting skills that are already chosen for classes by default. E.g. guides say Sorcerer has Staff by default while he has Dagger in game. Is it a feature of Greyface patch I use? I can see no mention of it in the changelog.
It's not a big thing though, you can change it in saved party via Editor, just curious.

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
2) In previous MMs you could "unlearn" skills. It seems that you can not in MM6, right? And what about MM7-8?

There is no reason to ever unlearn a skill, there's no limit to the amount of skills you can have. There were limits in the old ones.

3) I noticed a difference between guides and FAQs and the real game concerning the starting skills that are already chosen for classes by default. E.g. guides say Sorcerer has Staff by default while he has Dagger in game. Is it a feature of Greyface patch I use? I can see no mention of it in the changelog.
It's not a big thing though, you can change it in saved party via Editor, just curious.

Your starting equipment is partially determined by what skills you selected during character creation. So if you pick chain for your fighter he'll start with chain armor, otherwise he'll have leather. Stuff like that.

Gaznak

Learned
There is no reason to ever unlearn a skill, there's no limit to the amount of skills you can have. There were limits in the old ones.

Misspent skill points?

Your starting equipment is partially determined by what skills you selected during character creation. So if you pick chain for your fighter he'll start with chain armor, otherwise he'll have leather. Stuff like that.

I don't talk about items, I talk about default preselected skills for classes (when you create a party/edit the default one). For example, guides mention Sorcerer should have Staff skill already by default while in game he has Dagger skill (and you can't unlearn these preselected skills either). And Greyface patch log is silent about it, so where this came from?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Misspent skill points?

Rings and equipment gives you bonus skill points (only the best one count for a given skill), horseshoes respawn every x month ( 6 month?), challenges gives you free skill points and you'll never reach the level cap if you're not Japanese.

Also, get a GM in water magic for transportation purposes and to make a living out of enchanting everything (alongside with the merchant skill), not only you make money but you'll eventually get enchantments you'll use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom