Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Things are not looking too well for WoTC right now. The CEO of Hasbro who let all this inane shit they have been putting in their modules and allowed AGP child grooming troons to run the company has died today from cancer and apparently since the release of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything their books have been on a steep decline in sales. I get the feeling that when they release 5.5e that it is going to go as well as 4e which went off like a wet fart and they will either be forced to do course correction or sell to Tencent if the rumors are to be believed. Either way WoTC employees and their audience of child grooming gender freaks will be coping, seething and dilating in the foreseeable future.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This is such a random thought but I've been wondering lately about summons in D&D. Bear in mind I've never played the game myself.

How exactly do they work? When a mage summons a monster or an animal - where does that creature come from? Does it just materialise? Does it come from another plane or do mages and druids literally pluck creatures from another part of the world to use them in fights?

Well the way it's presented is that for extra planar creatures they come from their home plane. For prime material plane they're teleported in.
Which is actually the same shit, since the planar creatures also have a world of their own and day-to-day habits like any other. The real question is why da fuck the creature helps the magician instead of getting shocked by the sudden change in environment or simply running away.

D&D is a game where the less you think about it, the better it becomes. Start pricking at the seams and it falls apart.
Not to mention the idea that you're locating and then teleporting a living being (either from another plane, or from a vast distance away), while mind controlling them (I'm assuming that's why it helps you). It's basically 3 spells at once and it comes to you at a low level, when just a spell to teleport the player to another area doesn't come until, what, level 5?

Then again, I guess it is supposed to be magic invented by an Netherese mage, so meh.

A character that can cast wizard or priest spells doesn't get summoning spells until 5th level as it's a 3rd level spell. Teleport is a 5th level spell which requires a level 9 wizard to cast.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
A character that can cast wizard or priest spells doesn't get summoning spells until 5th level as it's a 3rd level spell. Teleport is a 5th level spell which requires a level 9 wizard to cast.
Yes, I was talking about spell level, not character level.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Yes, I was talking about spell level, not character level.

You should write more clearer then. ;)
*More clearly. Or you could both try turning down the autism.

Nothing austic about it. You wrote something that contained levels without specifying if you were referring to character or spell level. Write clearer and more concisely to avoid any misunderstandings while taking responsibility for what you wrote.

Also, clearer is a word and I used it correctly.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Nothing austic about it. You wrote something that contained levels without specifying if you were referring to character or spell level. Write clearer and more concisely to avoid any misunderstandings while taking responsibility for what you wrote.
You don't have many friends, do you?
Clearer is a word, but it's not correct in that context. Write is a verb. You need to use an adverb to describe it. For example, "You write English poorly." And at the very least, clearer shouldn't be used after more.

Not that I care, mind you, but if you're going to criticize someone over semantics, at least try not to write like an ESL student yourself.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You don't have many friends, do you?
Clearer is a word, but it's not correct in that context. Write is a verb. You need to use an adverb to describe it. For example, "You write English poorly."

Not that I care, mind you, but if you're going to criticize someone over semantics, at least try not to write like an ESL student yourself.

1. I do and not an argument.

2. I used it correctly.

clearer

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
clear
(klîr)
adj. clear·er, clear·est
Free from clouds, mist, or haze: a clear day.
2. Not obscured or darkened; bright: clear daylight; a clear yellow.
3. Easily seen through; transparent: clear water.
4. Free from flaw, blemish, or impurity: a clear, perfect diamond; a clear record with the police.
5. Free from impediment, obstruction, or hindrance; open: a clear view; a clear path to victory.
6. Plain or evident to the mind; unmistakable: a clear case of cheating.
7. Easily perceptible to the eye or ear; distinct: the clear call of a songbird.
8. Discerning or perceiving easily; keen: a clear mind.
9. Free from doubt or confusion; certain: His meaning is clear.
10. Free from qualification or limitation; absolute: a clear winner.
11. Free from guilt; untroubled: a clear conscience.
12. Having been freed from contact, proximity, or connection: At last we were clear of the danger. The ship was clear of the reef.
13. Free from charges or deductions; net: a clear profit.
14. Containing nothing: The ship's hold was clear.
adv.
1. Distinctly; clearly: spoke loud and clear.
2. Out of the way; completely away: stood clear of the doors.
3. Informal All the way; completely: slept clear through the night; read the book clear to the end.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/clearer

The dictionary says I used it correctly as an adverb and an adjective which means you're wrong.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
1. I do and not an argument.
Sure.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/clearer

The dictionary says I used it correctly as an adverb which means you're wrong.
adj. clear·er
adv.
1. Distinctly; clearly: spoke loud and clear.
:nocountryforshitposters:

You just hate being wrong don't you? You don't have many friends do you? Does your mommy have to tie a t-bone steak around your neck to make the dog play with you?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You just hate being wrong don't you?
I'm not the one whose ego compelled him to whip out a dictionary and show everyone how little he understands English, smart guy.
You don't have many friends do you?
Are you going to copy everything I say now? :lol:
Does your mommy have to tie a t-bone steak around your neck to make the dog play with you?
You heard that one a lot in grade school, didn't you? :M

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You just hate being wrong don't you?
I'm not the one whose ego compelled him to whip out a dictionary and show everyone how little he understands English, smart guy.
You don't have many friends do you?
Are you going to copy everything I say now? :lol:
Does your mommy have to tie a t-bone steak around your neck to make the dog play with you?
You heard that one a lot in grade school, didn't you? :M

This is autism and only you can stop it. Ignored and don't forget to wipe your feet on the way out retard.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This is autism and only you can stop it.
wUM3lVi.png

Should be your sig tbh.
Ignored and don't forget to wipe your feet on the way out retard.
Hitting the safe space button and crawling away from an argument you started like a bitch. Many such cases.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
This is autism and only you can stop it.

Ignored and don't forget to wipe your feet on the way out retard.
Hitting the safe space button and crawling away from an argument you started like a bitch. Many such cases.

I'm not the one that went sentence Nazi you fucktard. You did. You just couldn't handle the fact that I was right in how I used the word clearer. So bitch shut the fuck up, stop whining about your failures, and make me a couple of sandwiches.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not the one that went sentence Nazi you fucktard.
lol
You should write more clearer then. ;)
Who wrote this then? Was it me? Did I steal your keyboard and make you look like an "ackchyually" sperg? :lol:
You just couldn't handle the fact that I was right in how I used the word clearer.
:kingcomrade:
So bitch shut the fuck up, stop whining about your failures, and make me a couple of sandwiches.
He says, now frothing at the mouth and clicking refresh to see the response of someone he already said he put on ignore.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Thread suddenly not about 5e but two autists flinging shit at each other, I r8 definite incline

Reinhardt

Arcane
You see mage - you kill mage. They are retarded and evil. Nothing good ever comes from letting mage live. Wizards of Kwanzania were too lazy to grow Magic Cotton properly and summoned Ancient Kangz from their plane of existence - and look how it ended for their empire.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State

"Chooses to be disabled because that is all he has to make him interesting"
Oof! Pretty much Twitter faggots in a nutshell.
since the release of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything their books have been on a steep decline in sales

Do you have any citations to that?
It is what I have been hearing from other TTRPG channels as well as observed with my own eyes at places like Wal-Mart and Target. My local Wal-Mart has had the same D&D 5e books on the shelf since June. I have noticed this every time I go there and asked the guys who work there what is going on and why those books aren't selling despite being on the shelves for months and they tell me that there is no demand for them and that they probably won't ask inventory to restock them and just replace them with some Marvel and DC crap. From what I have been hearing a lot of people are going to OSR because:
1. They can't stand having to replace and spend 50 bucks for a rule book every six months because some hypersensitive faggot on Twitter got offended by something and made Wizards change it to please them.
2. They want much more leaner rule books that cut out all the fluff and get right down to the nitty gritty of the rules.
Either way things are about to go up shit creek for Wizards as OSR is one problem they can't have sugar daddy Hasbro kill off. Its either adapt or get left in the dust.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
since the release of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything their books have been on a steep decline in sales

Do you have any citations to that?
It is what I have been hearing from other TTRPG channels as well as observed with my own eyes at places like Wal-Mart and Target. My local Wal-Mart has had the same D&D 5e books on the shelf since June. I have noticed this every time I go there and asked the guys who work there what is going on and why those books aren't selling despite being on the shelves for months and they tell me that there is no demand for them and that they probably won't ask inventory to restock them and just replace them with some Marvel and DC crap. From what I have been hearing a lot of people are going to OSR because:
1. They can't stand having to replace and spend 50 bucks for a rule book every six months because some hypersensitive faggot on Twitter got offended by something and made Wizards change it to please them.
2. They want much more leaner rule books that cut out all the fluff and get right down to the nitty gritty of the rules.
Either way things are about to go up shit creek for Wizards as OSR is one problem they can have sugar daddy Hasbro kill off. Its either adapt or get left in the dust.

This wouldn't really surprise me. I was collecting 5E for awhile and even tried playing it a bit, but having any content being sidelined as an adventure pack in usually, plus the ridiculousness of the types of stuff they were starting to come out with (e.g. combat wheelchairs; removal of racial modifiers; soapbox statements about how the original fans weren't welcome at their tables, etc.) turned me off and I just stopped. I haven't missed it either. I find that if I was going to play a game these days, I'd rather play some variant of 2E, 3E, or even BECMI.

All RangerBoo's observations would mean is that other fans shared my feelings. Hopefully there are enough millennials and rainbow brigadiers to make up for the turned off fans, but much like other hobbies, I expect there are not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom