Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Playing Dune II

Falksi

Arcane
Playing this bad boy tonight and I can't put it down. Incredible that so many games based on this have come & gone since, yet so few manage to capture it's fast-paced, well balanced gameplay and constant sense of tension. Brilliant stuff.

Naraya

Arcane
Playing this bad boy tonight and I can't put it down. Incredible that so many games based on this have come & gone since, yet so few manage to capture it's fast-paced, well balanced gameplay and constant sense of tension. Brilliant stuff.
Which version are you playing? There were quite a few...

Falksi

Arcane
Which version are you playing? There were quite a few...

Was playing the original PC version earlier today, now on the Megadrive one. Are any of the latter ones worth it though, or do they spoil the experience like most "upgrades"?

Falksi

Arcane
Ended up losing all night in the fucker, and finally going to bed at 2am. Haven't done that with a game for a long time. Will finish the Harkonnen campaign tonight, then straight back for more as e of the other houses.

I know it's just recycling the same missions from a different POV, but I'm enjoying it that much I'll still do it for sure.

Binky

Cipher
xQ4jpN9.png

A horse of course

Play the Acorn version and upload some footage (including the intro).

i finished it twice for every house back in the day, but damn guys please drop the rose-tinted lsd, the game is bad now, its interface is terrible, the grid and the lack of multiselect make it so.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Literally first game that got me hooked on video games. Sure I played lots of games before, for years even, but they were always more of a way to pass time than activity all by itself.

Also, up to this day, it's one of my go-to examples that even simple things need to be invented, as it still amazes me that the game didn't have multi select.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I loved that game. I can still remember some key moments from it... how long ago was it? Just Googled it. 29 years ago. Holy crap I'm old.

It was fun when you would check the spaceport and find that some powerful unit was available for practically free, so you'd get 10 or 20 of them and go smash the enemy base.

Falksi

Arcane
i finished it twice for every house back in the day, but damn guys please drop the rose-tinted lsd, the game is bad now, its interface is terrible, the grid and the lack of multiselect make it so.

The lack of multi select actually adds to the game though, albeit unintentionally.

If you line-up an attack on an oppositions base with 6 vehicles for example, by the time you've instructed the 6th vehicle to attack you may have had another unit hit an enemy mid-journey, had a until swallowed by a worm, or had the opposition pull an attack on your base and be in need of reinforcements. It means you can't take things for granted and always have to be on your toes, forever adapting your strategy.

I know it's more effort to make things happen, but I'm often running round like a madman trying to organize individual units because there's no multiselect. And that plate spinning is what keeps it's tempo up, and keeps it exciting.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I played it last maybe 10 years ago and it held up surprisingly well. My guess is that since multiplayer was not an issue at all, they were able to optimize it better for single-player.

yellowcake

Arcane
My favourite thing about Dune II is that you actually have a front line that you push toward an enemy camp. When playing Starcraft skirmishes I wanted to recreate this limiting myself to only certain units (tanks + range + grunts, some others). Any other RTS have this mechanic of holding ground and pushing forward?

Magitex

Educated
Supreme Commander 1 is still the best at defensive warfare I think. You have stackable shields, walls, artillery turrets, automatic repair systems, autobuilding etc. I can't think of many strategy games where you could actually hold defensive chokepoints properly, because every RTS thereafter became about rush strategies otherwise people would complain about multiplayer which could take an hour. AI War 2 also gets some points for this style of play but it's not a very conventional RTS.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Had great fun with C&C remake but the nature of the grid based movement means you kind of want to move units one at a time in order to have a formation that makes sense.

Pity it wasn't turn based. Would have been a true classic.

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom