Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

ADL

Prophet
Thanks for saving me money Nintendo and Capcom

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I have the assurance now they're definitely down the path paved by Worlds:Iceborne, no more Ultimates. No rush purchasing this game anyways, either switch or PC, until Dragon Dracula release.

ADL

Prophet
Guess I misunderstood, thought the game was coming to PC with Sunbreak.
Capcom has announced that Monster Hunter Rise for PC (via Steam) will be released on January 12, 2022.

Announced during Tokyo Game Show 2021, the Steam version of the game boasts a number of updates to the original Switch version: 4K resolution support, high-res textures, high framerates (although specific rates weren't announced), optimised keyboard and mouse controls, voice chat, and ultrawide display support.

A demo for the PC version of the game will arrive on October 13, giving you a look at what's to come.
https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-hunter-rise-pc-steam-release-date-january

Perkel

Arcane

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

It does.
It isn't. PC will get the vanilla version first, Sunbreak will come later, since the latter still has no release date announced for any platform.

From same article:

"Rise will receive a "massive expansion", Sunbreak in the summer of 2022 – the PC edition will receive it at the same time."

Nice selective quote, but I'm not sure how January 12, 2022 is summer by anyone's metric. You must've seen that too since it's the part of the quote you erased. So clearly even if PC receives the expansion at the same time, it's not launching with the expansion.

Sentinel

Arcane

It does.
It isn't. PC will get the vanilla version first, Sunbreak will come later, since the latter still has no release date announced for any platform.

From same article:

"Rise will receive a "massive expansion", Sunbreak in the summer of 2022 – the PC edition will receive it at the same time."
That doesn't contradict anything I said. Vanilla Rise is coming to PC on the 12th of January. The expansion is releasing on PC and Switch during the Summer 2022. Last time I checked, January isn't Summer.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Then it's 6~8 months for the expansion to land. People might as well hold on and buy it all in a cheaper bundle, won't take that long.

However once bitten, twice shy. Hard pass until there are no more updates and Denuvo is patched out.

Perkel

Arcane
finished base on switch and switch emulator. Pass for me.

Whole wirebug mechanic is just shit addition that makes it more of an action game than mh i love. Generations skills at least used to be limited so you couldn't spam them non stop.

In Rise everything basically revolves around those bugs + stupid riding mechanics which are even worse than clutch claw on World. Moreover due to those wirebugs maps are designed in really shitty way that forces you to use great bugs to travel around or you will be faced with running non stop on literally flat plane aside from 2 maps. I liked the idea of bringing back old maps but instead of remaking them and making them interesting instead they made them chore because they don't "flow" like MHW maps, transitions are often just shite and monsters unlike World don't know how to handle heights at all.

Then there is main end game mechanic "base defense" which takes absolute top of worst MH side mechanics. World "sieges" were boring but at least it wasn't outright bad. But Rise base dense is just shit.

ADL

Prophet
This game is gorgeous in 21:9
Very happy that I didn't play this on Switch or an emulator.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Runs very well in my 5 year gaming laptop, that's a plus.

Only played one hunt but I expect some casualization. Having the fast travel available without the item and too much mobility with the horse change the pace of the hunt compared to MH4U or Generations Ultimate which are my favourites.

What's the consensus of people who played the game a lot on Switch?

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister

Only played one hunt but I expect some casualization. Having the fast travel available without the item and too much mobility with the horse change the pace of the hunt compared to MH4U or Generations Ultimate which are my favourites.

it's aight. initially seems like it has a lot of content but the game was released unfinished (on Switch release) so in the end it feels pretty short for a MH game. On the plus side it does feel slightly closer to the old-school Monster Hunter games in many ways than World did. Rampages are fun in multiplayer but solo is kinda meh. It's not one of my favorite MH games by any means but it's also not terrible, just underwhelming. Could change with the release of the expansion though...still, I'm not sure I'm going to pick up the PC version, at least not immediately especially after getting burned by Iceborne's 'performance enhancements' back when that came out.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

it's aight. initially seems like it has a lot of content but the game was released unfinished (on Switch release) so in the end it feels pretty short for a MH game. On the plus side it does feel slightly closer to the old-school Monster Hunter games in many ways than World did. Rampages are fun in multiplayer but solo is kinda meh. It's not one of my favorite MH games by any means but it's also not terrible, just underwhelming. Could change with the release of the expansion though...still, I'm not sure I'm going to pick up the PC version, at least not immediately especially after getting burned by Iceborne's 'performance enhancements' back when that came out.

Maybe the wisest decision is to wait to buy until next year expansion/G rank in june.

mogwaimon

Magister

Maybe the wisest decision is to wait to buy until next year expansion/G rank in june.

that's what I would do when it comes to the PC version, at least personally...and even then it'd still be a maybe. I've got friends who I played the Switch version with and we're planning to 'get the band back together' for the expansion, so to speak, so I'm sort of locked into the Switch version....kinda. I guess I 'could' just get both but I dunno. Still if you haven't played Rise before and you're aching for Monster Hunter then it's not like Rise is a bad game, just a bit short on content IMO.

Endemic

Arcane
Shadows eat a ton of VRAM, had to turn them down. Otherwise it seems like a solid port, played some coop with the Mrs and it was p. fun. She already has the Switch version so I'm in no hurry to buy yet.

Sentinel

Arcane
The game will randomly crash on me in the menus, but work flawlessly when i'm in a mission.

mystery.png

Rafidur

Learned
Well, I've played the demo and it seems worse than world: ugly grafics, barren environments, retarded kb+m controls, mediocre performance despite how ugly it is, etc.

I might pick it up in a year or so after they fix some of these issues and bundle the expansion...

ADL

Prophet
Well, I've played the demo and it seems worse than world: ugly grafics, barren environments, mediocre performance despite how ugly it is, etc.

I might pick it up in a year or so after they fix some of these issues and bundle the expansion...
Hopefully this is the only game fundamentally held back by the Switch's shit ass hardware. Supposedly the Switch Pro/Switch 2 is coming next year so fingers crossed.

Perkel

Arcane
Hopefully this is the only game fundamentally held back by the Switch's shit ass hardware. Supposedly the Switch Pro/Switch 2 is coming next year so fingers crossed.

People keep saying Switch 2 releases next year since Switch 1 released lol.

Nintendo doesn't give a flying fuck about graphics and performance since gamecube. Moreover Switch is selling like hot cakes which means there is 0 incentive for them to make switch 2 for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom