Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Imagine being trash and still being leaps and bounds ahead of the average design solution Larian can come up with.
The design solution of 5e is to do literally nothing and tell DMs to figure it out on their own.
Which Larian did, then you got buttmad because you hate Larian.

The DMG flat out states that the DM decides when to apply advantage or disadvantage, there is not a list of when to apply it, it is fully at the DM's discretion.

Mortmal

Arcane
not swen's fault he's much better than most tabletop designers
Making advantage easy to get cheapens it. What use is fairy fire or reckless attack, if you can just get to the high ground or backstab? But this entire argument is pointless, because both backstab and high ground advantage are gone now.
not my fault 5e is trash
"fairy fire and high ground should give similar bonuses because the people playing our game are braindead" yea ok wotc, you might actually be right
There's an easier way, a wizard can get an owl familiar, he can distract a foe as action and flyback without triggering an attack of opportunity giving advantage to next attack . That's why my wizard has an owl named advantage as familiar.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, a question. Why is this game developed is such a fucked up way? How many years will this EA last? I mean it's gettin' ridiculous, really, and I don't get how there are folks who like this development cycle.

Codex Year of the Donut
Okay, a question. Why is this game developed is such a fucked up way? How many years will this EA last? I mean it's gettin' ridiculous, really, and I don't get how there are folks who like this development cycle.
most of the content being worked on hasn't been seen by the public yet, the main things that get pushed out into the patches are technical changes and other things they want their betatesters to test
I'd be surprised if the EA ends up going past act 1 -- the part we had prior to this patch was only the first part of act 1.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But where's the benefit? Was D:OS made same way? I didn't track it's development, but I've heard that D:OS's act 1 was sort of the same deal, that is it was released in EA. How long was that EA? BG3 seems to be in EA for ever and is now massively overshadowed by other cRPG releases, like new Pathfinder, what do they hope to achieve with this kind of policy? When it (if ever) finally releases it'll be a whimper, not a blast.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So anyway, the only thing that I'm going to chime in with as a person that plans to buy this only when it comes out is that: I like that they're keeping the set pieces largely contained in a bubble, and they focus on displaying the strenghts of the class they're adding.

Meaning I have no idea how what they just streamed fits into the larger picture. And if I didn't know what the Sorcerer was all about, now I do. Which is very considerate of them since I, largely, don't want to be spoiled.

So... cool. I guess.

Codex Year of the Donut
But where's the benefit? Was D:OS made same way? I didn't track it's development, but I've heard that D:OS's act 1 was sort of the same deal, that is it was released in EA. How long was that EA? BG3 seems to be in EA for ever and is now massively overshadowed by other cRPG releases, like new Pathfinder, what do they hope to achieve with this kind of policy? When it (if ever) finally releases it'll be a whimper, not a blast.
DOS2 never had any updates(maybe minor bug fixes? Can't remember) after it entered EA, but the BG3 EA is massive compared to Fort Joy.

and is now massively overshadowed by other cRPG releases,
How can a game that hasn't released be overshadowed by other cRPG releases?

Salvo

Arcane
Ok hold on hold on

Did they just add Battlemaster's maneuvers as options available to everyone? No fucking way :lol:

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
These speshul actions is a pure fucking decline. I have been warning everybody that this shit was retarded from the start, but nobody listened. Now we get this again, Swen’s “MORE FUN” department strikes again. Ffs.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ch-6-impressions-and-an-interview-with-larian

Just read this article on BG3 and Patch 6. Lots of fluff, but one important confirmation stuck out to me:

You won't be pulling in any classes, or subclasses, added in new D&D books then?

Swen Vincke: No, that's why we... The Player Handbook on its own is already quite a lot of work, to do it the way that we want to do it, so we're sticking to that. If we manage to get it all right, we will be very happy, because that's a lot - there's really a lot of combinations you can make with it, especially when you add multi-class into the mix. So that's what we want to do for BG3.

I know the PHB part has been stated multiple times, but I think this is the first time they've firmly said no to non-PHB content/classes. Oh well, I guess mods will cover that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How does Sven driking a potion as a bonus action make you feal?
That he's using a well-known and popular house rule? It really depends on the difficulty of the run. If it's a meat grinder, not having potions as bonus actions makes them pretty useless because resorting to them means you are already in a death spiral and wasting a turn to drink is not ideal.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they don't add monks, or make it easy for modders to add the class, I will only buy this for €15 at most.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ch-6-impressions-and-an-interview-with-larian

Just read this article on BG3 and Patch 6. Lots of fluff, but one important confirmation stuck out to me:

You won't be pulling in any classes, or subclasses, added in new D&D books then?

Swen Vincke: No, that's why we... The Player Handbook on its own is already quite a lot of work, to do it the way that we want to do it, so we're sticking to that. If we manage to get it all right, we will be very happy, because that's a lot - there's really a lot of combinations you can make with it, especially when you add multi-class into the mix. So that's what we want to do for BG3.

I know the PHB part has been stated multiple times, but I think this is the first time they've firmly said no to non-PHB content/classes. Oh well, I guess mods will cover that.

I don't think this is terribly surprising given how detailed everything's been. Really, if they manage to get it all built fairly solidly, it should provide a nice foundation for expansions or sequels to build on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sup folks.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/4894842226437419259

Community Update 14: Forging the Arcane

It’s that time again! For months, strange chanting could be overheard from the offices of the Larian Studios dev team, their mysterious incantations pausing only when one would leave to go accept a food delivery. But today, our team emerged from their darkened tomb. “It is finished,” they said in unison, holding up to the sky a large stone tablet into which they had carved the patch notes for our latest update. Looking for those patch notes? You can find them here!

Patch 6: Forging the Arcane is now live and it is our biggest Baldur’s Gate 3 patch to date. This new update introduces a playable Sorcerer class, a mysterious new region called Grymforge, lethal new weapon actions, a huge graphical overhaul, newly-added orchestral music to delight your ears, and hours of fresh content to explore – and that’s merely a bite-size taste of the 10 pages-worth of improvements and changes made to the game this time around.

You can also expect to find new cinematics throughout the Underdark and Druid Grove, completely updated animations for Githyanki characters, Turkish language support, as well as something for those of you misbehaving sorts who tend to get sent to jail. And we haven’t even mentioned the equippable, dual-wield combat-salami yet.

source.gif

But there’s a lot more, so let’s take a closer look at everything you can expect to find in this latest patch.
Unleash your inner magic: Baldur’s Gate 3 gets a powerful new Sorcerer class

giphy.gif

Sorcerers aren’t your typical magic-wielder. Unlike your bookish Wizards or soul-selling Warlocks, a Sorcerer’s abilities come from within. This class taps into their own latent power to wreak havoc in battle.

Sorcerers receive five new spells in this update. Horrific Visage is a Tadpole Action that makes your enemy bleed and allows you to leech a Sorcery Point from them for your benefit. Chromatic Orb is a powerful single-target nuke that lets you hurl a sphere of energy at whoever deserves it most. Cloud of Daggers can be cast by Sorcerers for defense, surrounding them in a protective blanket of flying daggers. Crown of Madness, as the name suggests, sends an enemy mad and can cause them to attack their nearby allies. And finally, Enlarge/Reduce alters the size of a character while also affecting their physical stats, which is likewise what my body has been doing throughout the entirety of lockdown.

giphy.gif

But a Sorcerer’s foremost ability is Metamagic. This is their signature skill which allows you to modify your spells in battle, making you a dynamic and unpredictable force to be reckoned with. With Metamagic, a Sorcerer can increase their spell’s range or duration, hit two enemies at once, or purchase other powerful spell variations using Sorcery Points gained as they level up. And just imagine the kind of devastation you can unleash when applying this ability strategically toward spells cast by other magic-wielders.

As any D&D fan worth their dice knows, Sorcerers are available in two flavours: Wild Magic and Draconic Bloodline. Both subclasses have their own particular set of strengths, abilities, and visual look.

The Wild Magic Sorcerer is a manipulator of chance and magic. Using their Tides of Chaos ability, they swing the battle in their favour by gaining advantage of attack rolls, ability checks, or saving throws. But with every swing there is also a roundabout. And for every successful gain a Wild Magic Sorcerer receives, they also have a chance of being on the receiving end of a random effect. Some positive – like gaining teleport as a bonus action – and some, ah, less good – like setting everyone on fire.

giphy.gif

This is what happens if your grandpa married a dragon.

Draconic Bloodline Sorcerers on the other hand possess spell-casting abilities passed down through their dragon ancestry. Each Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer reaps the benefits of their dragon lineage, and can harness the damage-type possessed by their ancestor: Fire, Acid, Poison, Lightning, or Cold. Was your great-grandma a Red Dragon? If so, you’ll be able to wield Fire abilities like Burning Hands. Additionally, this subclass gets an extra hit point with every level gained, meaning they’re quite the powerful adversary in combat. And as you can see in the image above, you will be able to customize the look of your Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer with a variety of dragon facial designs so scaley not even the heaviest of moisturizers can soften them.

New weapon actions - combat just got a lot more interesting

giphy-downsized-large.gif

But Forging the Arcane isn't just about magic.

In this patch, we wanted to ensure that fans of melee and ranged combat gain even more tactical agency during fights next time they jump back in to BG3. Thus, we've introduced new Weapon Actions.

So what does that mean exactly? Well, characters who are proficient in a particular melee or ranged weapon will now have up to three signature moves at their disposal, giving you new ways to eviscerate any nearby Goblin who happens to look at you funny. The aim here is to ensure players will experience melee actions closer in line to those dreamt up during a tabletop D&D game.

Smash an enemy's chest to damage and potentially reduce their actions by one with the new Heartstopper move, target an enemy's hands with a non-lethal Weakening Strike attack to give disadvantage on Attack Rolls, or hit an enemy with all your might for a chance at dazing them with a Concussive Smash. But please do not use these new moves on the Owlbear as our hearts can't handle it. For the full list of new Weapon Actions, have a gander at the patch notes at the bottom of the page.

Blood, mud, and a huge graphical upgrade

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Baldur’s Gate 3 has received a substantial graphical overhaul in this patch, and its effects are far-reaching. Not only have we improved the visuals of the game-world as a whole, this update also affects the characters themselves.

Now as you adventure forth with your party, you and your companions will become more bloodied, muddied, and bruised with each consecutive fight – based on their HP. Finally, inspiration for my Astarion-in-Bubble-Bath fanart.

But it’s the overarching graphical changes that we think you’ll be impressed by the most. In this update we’ve made huge improvements to Faerun’s visual depth, implementing directional and volumetric lighting, applying fresh colour grading throughout, introducing new particle effect techniques, as well as real-time clouds, atmospheric scattering, volumetric fog, and other visual upgrades that make the game look better than ever before. Feast your eyes on the strategically-placed before-and-after GIF below, which will give you a taste of just how much has changed.

giphy.gif

Welcome to Grymforge – A new region hidden in the depths of the Underdark

This is the big one. Baldur’s Gate 3 now has a new region: Grymforge. TADAAAM! TATATATATA TADAAAM!

Grymforge is an ancient Sharran fortress accessible through the Underdark, by way of Ebonlake. This new region takes you past the point where Early Access ended, continuing your journey a little further into a sinister lair where shadowy chambers are lit by the rivers of magma that surround you.

So what can you expect to find here? Grymforge promises hours of new content for you to dive back into, with new questlines, choices, cinematics, complex combat encounters, and characters who we know will whet the appetite of many a D&D fan. No I’m not telling you who. We won’t spoil things for you but we can’t wait for you to check it out for yourself and tell us know what you think. In the meantime, take a peak below:

giphy.gif

Property Brothers, eat your heart out.

So what else can you expect in this update?

Forging the Arcane is chalk-full with improvements and fixes, many of which were requested directly by you, the community. Let’s have a look at a few of them.

In Patch 6, we have solved a common issue in which NPCs occasionally completely freak out at a Druid’s Wildshape form when it’s no longer active. NPCs have now each been put through thorough exposure therapy and are no longer afraid of phantom Wildshapes. In addition, we’ve fixed an issue where Fezzerk’s goblins would attack Wyll on sight instead of starting his dialogue, which we felt was pretty rude.

We have also made numerous improvements with combat and character balancing. For instance, we’ve updated the high ground rule, making it so you’ll now receive a bonus on attack rather than an advantage/disadvantage. We’ve also tweaked Shadowheart’s Ability score, reducing her CHA and increasing her STR. Issues with Mobile feat have also been solved, and Concentration throws are now displayed via the overhead roll UI.

To make your in-game experience all the better, this update includes an option to add a semi-transparent background to text and we have increased the font size of dialogue for those who have found themselves squinting uncomfortably at their monitor while reading their screens in the past. All of this can be set and customised in the settings menu, at your leisure. And we've also included an option to reduce the default frequency that characters say lines as you point-and-click your way through your adventure. This is now tied to a slider, giving you more control over how much chatter you’d like to hear as you explore.

But perhaps the most important fix of them all: Scratch the Dog can now accept pets again.
Forging the Arcane is available to play immediately, following Panel From Hell 4 on Thursday, October 14th. Be sure to check out Baldur's Gate 3 to experience all the latest changes for yourself, and let us know what you think. We can’t wait to hear!

And with that, let’s unfurl the patch notes!

Heinrich

Scholar
If BG3 gets the same proportion of early-access to release version sales as DOS2, it's going to end up with twenty million copies sold. Now I don't actually think that's going to happen, but Larian games aren't typical early access games and based on the history of sales it's reasonable to assume that the majority of sales will happen after the full release.

Codex Year of the Donut
If BG3 gets the same proportion of early-access to release version sales as DOS2, it's going to end up with twenty million copies sold. Now I don't actually think that's going to happen, but Larian games aren't typical early access games and based on the history of sales it's reasonable to assume that the majority of sales will happen after the full release.
It's just typical codex echochamber behavior, same people still unaware that DOS2 is one of the best selling cRPGs ever released and think games like Kingmaker are even remotely in the same ballpark for sales.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's just typical codex echochamber behavior, same people still unaware that DOS2 is one of the best selling cRPGs ever released and think games like Kingmaker are even remotely in the same ballpark for sales.
too-much-butthurt-isense-an-ice-dildo-you-need-21164405.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom