Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime CRPG Book - Call for reviews

Cunt Dickula!?

About Salt and Sanctuary. I whipped up a draft, even if I have very low confidence in myself. I'll send it to you, but in all honesty, pretty much anyone else than me would do a better job.
Everyone else here is just as retarded as you. You will write great stuff.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About Salt and Sanctuary. I whipped up a draft, even if I have very low confidence in myself. I'll send it to you, but in all honesty, pretty much anyone else than me would do a better job.
Everyone else here is just as retarded as you. You will write great stuff.
It's done. After some editing from felipepepe

It's good enough to get a fairly good idea of what Salt and Sanctuary is.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
felipepepe
Expeditions Viking, 430-ish words.
Would that work? Need some screenshots?
I'm not required to do Conquistadors as well, right?

Conquistadors was a Heroes of Might & Magic clone with some quests and C&C, without mystical creatures and with limited magic.
Vikings is a full fledge RPG, the HoMM worldmap was replaced by Fallouts' one, Character development is deeper, offering more tactical options during combat and you can now craft weapons on top of traps.
Depending on your crafting level and available resources you can fine tune damage, crit. multiplier and armor piercing and there's a chance to get a small random bonus.

Combat is extremely tactical, you'll need to extensively use cover, buffs and debuffs and to control the battlefield by locking enemy archers, back-stab your enemies, stun them, use some skills against their tanks, spot and avoid traps and use your own.
Downed allies might get wounded and suffer injuries; permanent debuffs until fully healed; so you'd better excell at combat or prepare to suffer.

Quests are well designed, you're a clan leader, the storyline is close to the early Vikings serie, even some idle combat animations were taken from Floki's screenplay, quests won't have you hunting rats, they all respect the setting and your Jarl status, in the end, only the prosperity of your clan matters.

On top of this, there's a management layer, first, building your homestead, which requires resources, You can spot some while scouting during camping or while exploring a map, you can also trade or get some through quests rewards.
You also have to manage food and medicine during camping and heal wounds just like in Conquistadors.

On top of this, there's a morale mechanism, each character but the main one has 4 traits from 7 different ones plus their opposite (ex: peaceful / aggressive).
Dialog options and quests resolutions can boosts aggressive followers morale while hindering the peaceful ones and so on, i'm not a fan of this mechanism, it's a real pain, just like in Conquistador but at least, in conquistador, you could chose your followers right from the start to alleviate it.
Here, you can recruit some mercenaries from the capital but they lack character, besides, companions are very well made, good dialog, quests, idle chat, it's only second to Wizardry 8 on that regard.

TL DR
Turn-Based and party based RPG with some management mechanism done right (looking at you Owlcat), an interesting setting, good character development and quest design, great combat, a better engine would have make this a masterpiece but it's still pretty good.
Congratulations, Logic artists, If Rome fixed Viking issues (loading in and out of micro locations like houses, memory leak and engine shortcomings), it'd send Logic Artists into orbit next to SSI, Sirtech and New World Computing...

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
felipepepe I thought about your remarks and you were right, the word count made me skip some important info.

Here's a better version:

Conquistadors was a hybrid with Heroes of Might & Magic over-world exploration focused on survival and a Tactical game with RPG elements.
Vikings is a full fledge RPG, the HoMM world map was replaced by Fallout's one, character development is deeper, offering more tactical options during combat and you can now craft weapons when Conquistadors has a serviceable but weird equipment points allocation system.

You're the dying Jarl's son, you'll first have to pay your crown in blood and then secure the future of your clan by seeking allies, deal with your enemies and gather riches.
Some quests work in chain, when dealing with treasonous clansmen, you can be merciful, kill the men and spare the women or banish them, kill everyone. Later, if their farm is empty, you can offer it to someone else.
I've seen better (Dark Sun, Prelude to Darkness, Arcanum, Fallout, ...) but they're all immersive and well written.

Combat is extremely tactical, Conquistador combat was good, Vikings improves versatility of units and tactical options, you'll need to extensively use cover, buffs and debuffs and to control the battlefield by locking enemy archers, back-stab your enemies, stun them, use some skills against their tanks, spot and avoid traps and use your own.
Downed allies might get wounded and suffer injuries.

On top of this, there's a management layer, first, building your homestead, which requires resources, You can spot some while scouting during camping or while exploring a map, you can also trade or get some through quests rewards.
You also have to manage food and medicine during camping and heal wounds just like in Conquistadors and your followers morale.
Each character but the main one has 4 traits out of 7 different ones plus their opposite (ex: peaceful / aggressive).
Dialog options and quests resolutions can boosts aggressive followers morale while hindering the peaceful ones and so on, i don't like it and it might even be slightly buggy.

If we stopped there, the game could be a classic with some slight changes to the morale system or traits attribution (it's fixed, hindering re-playability and also a serious pain in the ass), unfortunately, the unity engine was butchered.
Memory leaks are slowing down the loading screens over time and getting in and out of houses requires loading.
Conquistadors combat engine was fluid with a simple UI, here, icons gets stuck while rearranging equipment and skills and there's a freeze between each enemy turn.
Also, i liked Conquistador battle-scapes better, no animated trees and grass but more defendable positions.
Conquistadors also offered different enemy IA settings while keeping the combat lightning fast and enemies charged at you while trying to outflank you, in Viking, scripted fights IA is alright but random campsite encounters have erratic behavior where half their party runs away while the other half hunkers down...

In Conclusion, Viking is a good, almost great Tactical Turn-Based and party-based RPG with some engine shortcomings (the usual poorly optimized unity engine), immersive and benefiting from a rare setting.
I wish Logic Artist would aim at the sky with Rome, some adjustments and a polished engine could propel them up there along the Legendary studios like SSI, Sirtech and New World Computing...

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've played BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks Inception some decades ago, and loved it. I could put a few hours into it again and do a mini-review for you in a week or two. I also played West of Loathing last year, so I can do a review on that by this weekend. I have Omega downloaded and ready on DOSBox, but never even started it up. It's high up in ranking on the CRPGAddict page, so I've been meaning to get to it, but it would be a few weeks before I could get it done. Just let me know.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've played BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks Inception some decades ago, and loved it. I could put a few hours into it again and do a mini-review for you in a week or two. I also played West of Loathing last year, so I can do a review on that by this weekend. I have Omega downloaded and ready on DOSBox, but never even started it up. It's high up in ranking on the CRPGAddict page, so I've been meaning to get to it, but it would be a few weeks before I could get it done. Just let me know.
That would be great, I played BattleTech but really didn't like it, would be nice to have a review that explains WTF so many people seem to enjoy it. Omega would also be much appreciated, especially if you can get it by the end of the year :)

West of Loathing I'm still searching for someone who played Kingdom of Loathing too, since I'm not I'm a hurry it's better to wait a bit.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That would be great, I played BattleTech but really didn't like it, would be nice to have a review that explains WTF so many people seem to enjoy it. Omega would also be much appreciated, especially if you can get it by the end of the year :)

West of Loathing I'm still searching for someone who played Kingdom of Loathing too, since I'm not I'm a hurry it's better to wait a bit.

Ok, I'll start working on BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks Inception and afterwards I'll try Omega out. I think BattleTech does match a lot of what is found in the tabletop version of the game back when the 3025 version of the game was still hugely popular. But, I'll try it again and let you know soon.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey!

I found this thread. Disregard my post on ur profile.

*updates thread watch list*

I would humbly suggest Star Stable for your next book release.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tiny nitpick in the Underrail review:
a poisoned serrated knife
There are no such things in the game :D There are serrated knives, but no poisoned ones. 0/10 review
True, just checked and there are poisoned knifes and serrated knives, even electric or energy serrated knives, but no poisoned serrated knifes. :/

Blaine wrote that review, can I change it to "poisoned throwing knives" or just "serrated knife"?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
True, just checked and there are poisoned knifes and serrated knives, even electric or energy serrated knives, but no poisoned serrated knifes. :/

Blaine wrote that review, can I change it to "poisoned throwing knives" or just "serrated knife"?
If you're making corrections to the CRPG Book, note the Dungeon Master review refers three times to supposed zombie(s) that do not exist in the game, when it actually means mumm(y/ies).
DMCSB-Creature-Mummy.gif

DemonKing

Arcane
Will you be publishing a new version of the physical book or just updating the .pdf version? I was thinking of buying the hardcover before it sells out but might wait if a new edition is coming out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom