Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Avowed early build impressions at Windows Central

Gargaune

Magister
I think fans of The Outer Worlds should be particularly excited, too.
Infinitron, you know you're free to correct obvious mistakes in a piece you quote, right? Clearly the author meant to say here: "I think fans of The Outer Worlds should be particularly excited, all two of them."

What are you excited for? There is literally nothing to show about this.
That is exciting. Pray it stays that way.

Gargaune

Magister
What's the point writing such impressions without providing gameplay video or screenshots?
It's the long marketing game, trying to keep your shit alive in people's minds. The problem is that it only works when people already give some semblance of a shit about your shit. CDPR could do it with Cyberpunked, Bethesda can do it with Bethesda Game™, but nobody really cares about The Outside Worlds.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If The Outer Worlds was Obsidian's take on a Fallout-style game, Avowed is undoubtedly Obsidian's take on The Elder Scrolls.
It's exactly what it is, and it will probably mean they can expect a fairly warm reception in the mainstream, because just as it was the case with TOW, their vapid, indistinct approach to gameplay systems, presentation, characters and plot are actually perfectly in-line with modern vapid, indistinct audience they target. On top of that, fantasy settings usually fare better. Sprinkle some shallow twitter grade world commentary (medieval society bad) and woke pseudo-comedy and...

bd1.png

10/10 IGN
bd1.png

Shin

Cipher
I truly wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being some kind of clone of "For Honor" or one of those other medieval themed multiplayer competitive slash-m-ups or maybe as some kind of Destiny-type sort of game.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't *think* this sounds that bad, the Outer Worlds engine was actually enjoyable.

The issue of course was that the amount of borderlands vs the amount of RPG was like 8:2.

We'll see.
What does it mean for a game’s engine to be enjoyable when the art, mechanics and maps utilized by the developer for a previous game using said engine are widely panned? Makesyouthink

Because the engine is more about the physics engine, less about the individual *assets* implemented in the Outer Worlds engine if that makes sense.

I think the *shooting* mechanics in that game were done well, but the *balance* and approach of whittling down large health bars, incredibly sparse exploration except for a handful of areas, and repeated looter shooter gameplay loop were bad.

But that doesn't detract from how technically sound it was. For example, jumping around was actually pretty enjoyable overall.

Codex Year of the Donut
Why does Microsoft need a Skyrim clone? Didn't they already buy Bethesda?

... I would assume the same reason why Zenimax let Obsidian make Fallout: New Vegas, big open world first-person exploration RPGs take too long to make.
fnv was made in like a year and a half though
It doesn't take long at all if you remind them that they'll be fired and homeless if they don't stop slacking

consider the following: A single piece of DLC for Outer Worlds took nearly as long to make as the entirety of FNV.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

... I would assume the same reason why Zenimax let Obsidian make Fallout: New Vegas, big open world first-person exploration RPGs take too long to make.
It doesn't take long at all if you remind them that they'll be fired and homeless if they don't stop slacking

consider the following: A single piece of DLC for Outer Worlds took nearly as long to make as the entirety of FNV.

Sure, but all the stuff that takes time to make (systems, engine, art assets, etc) was already finished. All Obsidian needed to create was content.

Generally, content is easy to make if everything else is ready to go (and you have the old design notes for Van Buren).

I guess they could tell Bethesda to hurry it up, but Bethesda is the golden goose. Executives are an out of touch bunch as a rule but usually the one thing they know for sure is that you shouldn't fuck too hard or too fast with the golden goose. You don't need to understand something to understand that it makes money.

That's why it took Disney awhile before they finally started fucking with Marvel.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't care what everyone else thinks I'm extremely excited for this game.
What are you excited for? There is literally nothing to show about this this. Only a few seconds CGI with barely any news about it.

Unlike most of codex, i enjoyed both pillars game, and i thought deadfire was solid 7/8 game, and this game has nothing at least not yet.

I think the idea is that Unavowed will be to Skyrim what Fallout: New Vegas was to Fallout 3.

It's a lot to assume, though. Obsidian was hit and miss when they were at the top of their game and they aren't the same company they were in 2010. Fallout: New Vegas was their great work and it was based on documents they wrote when the developers were young and inspired.

Codex Year of the Donut

Sure, but all the stuff that takes time to make (systems, engine, art assets, etc) was already finished. All Obsidian needed to create was content.

Generally, content is easy to make if everything else is ready to go (and you have the old design notes for Van Buren).

I guess they could tell Bethesda to hurry it up, but Bethesda is the golden goose. Executives are an out of touch bunch as a rule but usually the one thing they know for sure is that you shouldn't fuck too hard or too fast with the golden goose. You don't need to understand something to understand that it makes money.

That's why it took Disney awhile before they finally started fucking with Marvel.
seems more likely that the people working at obsidian now are just much more incompetent

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I think the *shooting* mechanics in that game were done well, but the *balance* and approach of whittling down large health bars, incredibly sparse exploration except for a handful of areas, and repeated looter shooter gameplay loop were bad.
FFS in modern day and age, example FPS demos bundled with major graphic engines have decent shooting mechanics. It actually takes an effort to fuck them up with lousy sounds or lack of basic knowledge how firearms operate.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The Outer Worlds was technically proficient, so I have no doubts about their abilities to deliver that -- a technically proficient game.

The problem with Outer Worlds was not technical, however. The game systems were tangled mess but also, somehow, exceedingly inconsequential to the gameplay itself. It was a gussied up shooter with boring/lame itemization and too much QUIRKY LOL! humor. Yes, I get it, you watched Rick and Morty and have read Hitchhiker's Guide, please shut the fuck up about both of them.

But the biggest problem was that it was just, uhh, kinda boring? Like, what's happening and why do I care? It like a new Toyota Camry. It's nice and shiny, "edgy" in a corporate safe way. You know exactly what you're getting. Boring. Clean and decent performance, but boring. Maybe I'll take another shot at the game but I have to say, I played it for a few days and just forgot about it, and never thought about it again. That's pretty bad.

Anyway, Avowed: Ehhhhhhh. We'll see.

Lexx

Cipher
Will it have modding tools? Otherwise why even bother with an open worlder, honestly.

Agreed. I still think the only reason Skyrim and shit is so popular is because autists keep making mods for it, which makes people keep talking about them. If Obsidian's Skyrim clone cannot into modding in a simple-stupid way as Bethsoft games, then it will be forgotten as quickly as Outer Worlds.

Codex Year of the Donut
I still think the only reason Skyrim and shit is so popular is because autists keep making mods for it, which makes people keep talking about them
sadly... no.
PC purchases made up a small minority of Skyrim sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom