Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I betcha that Dragon Age's Engine drew a lot more from Infinity than Aurora.

Just consider - do you think Aurora Engine has any efficient pathfinding code for a 6 party group?

Probably not because you are suppose to play one character.

That's one element of the engine - pathfinding.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Hory shit, academia has answers. The date is a bit off (I guess that's before NWN2 came out using Odyssey).

Succintly:
The engine was first used by BioWare to produce the critically acclaimed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic released on November 19, 2003. The engine was later licensed to Obsidian Entertainment to develop the sequel, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords first released December 6, 2004. The engine was based on the Aurora Engine (the one used in Neverwinter Nights) and added 3D backgrounds and character facial motions.

As of June 2005, the Odyssey Engine appears to have been retired, with no future titles based on it announced — rather Bioware is developing the Eclipse engine as the Odyssey Engine's successor.
https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/949611

Three distinct engines, honestly:
  • Infinity
  • Aurora ~> Odyssey ~> Electron as it ported from PC to console back to PC
  • Eclipse

Codex Year of the Donut
Eclipse wasn't a brand new engine, it was just another revision of the same aurora engine with new shiny features. Bioware was already discussing the "eclipse engine" as far back as 2004, prior to the release of Jade Empire(which is another game using an aurora engine derivative.)
Yes, marketing material says otherwise because that's the point of marketing material. Buy our game with a brand new shiny engine with brand new shiny features.

In much the same way that PS4's OS is FreeBSD, Dragon Age's engine is Aurora.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
In fact the most annoying one was the Twilek because she was a companion and you're stuck with her for a while. Now she's the ACTUAL sjw.
Uuuuh wut? Are you talking about the Sith trooper sergeant? I don't remember her like that. In fact I remember her as a pretty nice "just a lowly grunt" type who served well to show that the empire does not entirely consist of babbie eating edgelords.
I liked her, because she fit well with my (slightly crazy) reformist chars. :obviously:
Sure, if you are the "hulk smash lol evil" type, she will obviously cramp your style a little, but that is true for pretty much every companion, bar some some of the lunatic beasts.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Skyrim, FO4, and almost any close-to-mainstream games usually cannot legally claim they run different engines. Because usually they all use the newest Unreal Engine.
You are mixing up and generalizing two different things here.
Bethesda is still using the Gamebryo engine, which ironically was used for Civilization 4 as well IIRC, they just rebranded it "Creation" to imply it would be something new, because they are too cheap to aquire spmething new.
The Unreal engine itself is mostly used as an affordable engine by smaller companies without access to inhouse solutions, but it also serves as a foundation to create something new, like EA's Frostbite engine. While it is still "based" on it, it does deserve it's own name. It just becomes a problem when marketing slaps a v2 on it just because someone changed a shader.

Pure Unreal engines are mostly used for consoletard games these days, so they can quickly pump out their shovelware on a proven plattform
But the big "mainstream" players like EA, Rockstar, Ubisoft or CDPR have all built their own engines.
Probably because the Unreal engine fees are based on sales. :hahano:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim, FO4, and almost any close-to-mainstream games usually cannot legally claim they run different engines. Because usually they all use the newest Unreal Engine.
You are mixing up and generalizing two different things here.
Bethesda is still using the Gamebryo engine, which ironically was used for Civilization 4 as well IIRC, they just rebranded it "Creation" to imply it would be something new, because they are too cheap to aquire spmething new.
The Unreal engine itself is mostly used as an affordable engine by smaller companies without access to inhouse solutions, but it also serves as a foundation to create something new, like EA's Frostbite engine. While it is still "based" on it, it does deserve it's own name. It just becomes a problem when marketing slaps a v2 on it just because someone changed a shader.

Pure Unreal engines are mostly used for consoletard games these days, so they can quickly pump out their shovelware on a proven plattform
But the big "mainstream" players like EA, Rockstar, Ubisoft or CDPR have all built their own engines.
Probably because the Unreal engine fees are based on sales. :hahano:
First, you're mixing up one thing here: The question is whether DA:O's engine is a different engine from Aurora.

Secondly, No. The Unreal Engine is behind almost all games.

Thirdly, Unreal Engine 3 is already free, go download the UDK. Plenty of documentation online. Unreal Engine 4 is free unless you're publishing.

Fourth, they'll sue you if you just change a name. Unreal Engine is behind the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games, from which Epic Games is already rich as fuck. Edit: Remember Doom 3?

Fifth, it's being used in film-making now, according to a friend who does that crap. (Don't know why they get paid to learn it when you can easily learn it for free) Apparently Epic Games worked with Disney The Mandalorian to adapt UE for visual fx.

UE2:
Advent Rising
Bioshock 1/2
Brothers in Arms + expies
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Star Wars: Republic Commando
SWAT 4
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Ghost Recon 2
GRAW
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
Splinter Cell + sequels
Tribes: Vengeance

UE3:
Batman Arkham Asylum - Arkham Knight
Gears of War
Alpha Protocol
America's Army
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 1/2
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Killing Floor 2
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat X
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 1, 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM2

UE4:
Warmachine Tactics
Borderlands 3
Darksiders 3
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Fortnite
Jedi: Fallen Order
Street Fighter V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Eclipse wasn't a brand new engine, it was just another revision of the same aurora engine with new shiny features. Bioware was already discussing the "eclipse engine" as far back as 2004, prior to the release of Jade Empire(which is another game using an aurora engine derivative.)
Yes, marketing material says otherwise because that's the point of marketing material. Buy our game with a brand new shiny engine with brand new shiny features.

In much the same way that PS4's OS is FreeBSD, Dragon Age's engine is Aurora.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

What is a game engine?

OS?

lol.
lol..

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
In fact the most annoying one was the Twilek because she was a companion and you're stuck with her for a while. Now she's the ACTUAL sjw.
Uuuuh wut? Are you talking about the Sith trooper sergeant? I don't remember her like that. In fact I remember her as a pretty nice "just a lowly grunt" type who served well to show that the empire does not entirely consist of babbie eating edgelords.
She talked too much.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon...r-biggest-what-if-moment-from-its-development

Speaking to TheGamer for their Oral History of Dragon Age: Origins, Fedor wondered aloud about what Dragon Age: Origins would have ended up being had they not switched engines in the middle of its development.

"There were a number of battle-tested things the NWN engine did that we lost, like multiplayer and dungeon-master modes," Fedor continued. "And seeing what CD Projekt Red did with the NWN engine in The Witcher was really inspiring. Would DAO have come out sooner? Would it have supported multiplayer? Could we have reworked the rendering in NWN’s engine to meet the demands of the time? It’s easy to ask these questions now, in retrospect. But I’m sure at the time, these were really difficult decisions to make."

But I don't even need to know that. If you've worked with games at all it's obvious

Zariusz

Arbiter
M9xjhPq.png

And its finished, i didnt expect that this story would be so enjoyable. Playing as honorable knight who wants best for the Empire feels glorious. And that music at the end just adds to whole experience, you can just feel like a victorious hero(starts 3:44).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
M9xjhPq.png

And its finished, i didnt expect that this story would be so enjoyable. Playing as honorable knight who wants best for the Empire feels glorious. And that music at the end just adds to whole experience, you can just feel like a victorious hero(starts 3:44).

That's such a good and useful outfit, eh? Well, not the boots. But those trousers work for anything, in case you get armor sets that have shitty pants.

I grabbed the Cutthroat Buccaneer

Cutthroat-Buccaneer-Male-Close_thumb.jpg

Because I have a Twi'lek that's specially designed for Twi'leks. Or rather, it's Paxton Rall's armor.

Really damn hard to get a hat for a Twi'lek. I can't even wear robes with their hoods down (like Revered Master) because I would NEVER be able to actually pull the hood over my huge lekku.

Also its boots a perfect replacement for Dark Marauder's shitboots.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Yeah, a lot of musical pieces get some extra kick because of the context you heard them in. In case of the Revan song it was... I think the epilogue of the Hutts as a stinger for Revan? But I remember standing on the bridge of a Star Destroyer with mah bro Darth Marr talking about the state of the union empire, and then the camera slowly backed up through the window into the void with that song playing.

Man, all that talk about this game and it's music is trying hard to lure me into installing it again. Send help pls. :cry:

Zariusz

Arbiter
Ilum story finished, Malgus The Betrayer betrayed and defeated, Hesker was a bro. Now its time for Hutt cartel... to the faggot planet onwards ehh...

EDIT:
Its done, i dont remember much from my original makeb trooper playthrough but i feel that imperial story was probably much better.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, a lot of musical pieces get some extra kick because of the context you heard them in. In case of the Revan song it was... I think the epilogue of the Hutts as a stinger for Revan? But I remember standing on the bridge of a Star Destroyer with mah bro Darth Marr talking about the state of the union empire, and then the camera slowly backed up through the window into the void with that song playing.

Man, all that talk about this game and it's music is trying hard to lure me into installing it again. Send help pls. :cry:
giphy.gif

Zariusz

Arbiter
Revan finished, i didnt like that since Makeb my companions were just background characters without any dialogue besides that SoR opening cutscene.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I hope you enjoyed that moment at least. Because it's going to get worse in the future, since Bioware tried to save moneyz by consolidating all classes into one story from now on.
So you better start thinking Lana and Shanson are the best companions evah, or you're in for a lot of misery! :cry:

Zariusz

Arbiter
G01yLLR.png

I WANTED EPIC DUEL NOT THIS POWER OF FRIENDSHIP SHIT!!!!!

Ending of SoR had some moments

gzJZNaT.png

hZ8sY3D.png

Poor Marr, we could literally make Empire great again but i was thrown into carbonite and he was thrown into the coffin.
Ziost was interesting (though there was that moment where Emperor says that he likes that black womyn jedi master because she has strong will then she banishes him from her body for a while by herself, and yes only she was able to do this. That just smelled with modern Bioware), KOTFE feels kinda weird, like some kind of tv series or animation. But it gave me option to kill that bald anarchist bitch so its all good.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I hope you enjoyed that moment at least. Because it's going to get worse in the future, since Bioware tried to save moneyz by consolidating all classes into one story from now on.
So you better start thinking Lana and Shanson are the best companions evah, or you're in for a lot of misery! :cry:
tbh there's no way you can keep 8 storylines going after launch. They had different writers for various storylines, and then voice actors, and etc. At the same time the hardcore MMO players want more operations, while others want more comprehensive flashpoints (or very very short ones to farm). Let's not forget all the time spent balancing.

Also I bet since a lot of the production was emphasized for launch, they downsized right after and expectedly so.

The only other game that tried personal stories was really bad at it was GW2 because it was doing that as well as RvRvR PVP as well as small scale PVE and large scale PVE content. Edit: Also live events. And another thing that suffered were the public quests, which Warhammer Online could do because it wasn't doing everything.

Blizzard can only sustain one storyline for each paid expansion in WoW because everybody wants everything.

In any case, still need to finish my BH. Then I be legendary.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Wow, there really is a saboteur route in Jedi Under Siege. Changes quests up.

Also I kicked Theron off my allliance. With Jorjelu at least.

Zariusz

Arbiter
KOTFE and KOTET finished. I have became an emperor, sadly there is no just and righteous king option so probably game will treat my char ike a despot, ehh that is still better than some Republic 2.0 though. I let Arcann live and killed that droid. I never even once used Valkorion power by choice, my character treated him like a betrayer who used and abandoned his people, i favoured Imperials in most choices.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
KOTFE and KOTET finished. I have became an emperor, sadly there is no just and righteous king option so probably game will treat my char ike a despot, ehh that is still better than some Republic 2.0 though. I let Arcann live and killed that droid. I never even once used Valkorion power by choice, my character treated him like a betrayer who used and abandoned his people, i favoured Imperials in most choices.
I use it once and apparently it saved me but also killed 40,000 other people in the vicinity. Good times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom