Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
Also playing as a lich and keeping one living army and the undead army is a gyga pain because after battle using my living army it leaves raised undead as a separate army... it's maddening.

Yosharian

Arcane
So this happens when you cast Transformation on an ally using Legend Infusion or Brown Fur Transmuter MC:

unknown-2.png

Up to 40 BAB to any person in your party
I do not get how this works, does your alch or BfT need to be on the legend mythic path to give 40 bab ?
It can only work with your main character, and only if they are on the Legend path. This path results in a character level cap of 40, meaning that transformation spells YOU cast inherit your maximum BAB i.e. up to 40 at max level

Yosharian

Arcane
So this happens when you cast Transformation on an ally using Legend Infusion or Brown Fur Transmuter MC:

unknown-2.png

(licks lips).

One more level then my non-mc level 20 brown fur transmuter will be able to do this.
No, your Merc/companion BFT casting Transformation will result in a maximum of 20 BAB

Mauman

Learned

unknown-2.png

(licks lips).

One more level then my non-mc level 20 brown fur transmuter will be able to do this.
No, your Merc/companion BFT casting Transformation will result in a maximum of 20 BAB

Ah, got it. I misread your post. Oh well. At least my animal companions can get to BAB 20.

Delterius

Arcane
I'm looking REALLY forward to the massive meltdown that'll happen if Iron Gods gets picked. Gonna be fuckin' hilarious.

I don't know enough about these APs to get your point. Why would there be a meltdown?
Pathfinder lore isn't great. It's got all the worst parts of Forgotten Realms with its own terrible twists. But Pathfinder space lore is something else. The divine rock of mysterious origins? Just a space wars orbital weapon. The ancient atlanteans? They didn't die, they just fucked off and became space ultra nazis instead. Turns out God-King Aroden wasn't 'the last atlantean' after all. Golarion? It's the one planet of renaissance faire morons, the rest of the galaxy is filled with star trek humans. No they won't show up. Androids and nanites are actually all over the planet, by the way. Thankfully, Numeria has an export ban in place so that's why people don't know anything about robots lmao.

Sure, I personally don't care about space shit. But everything related to Numeria is Reign of Winter tier. Just irredeemable. I'd much prefer Owlcat just made a Starfinder / Original Sci Fi game and explored Golarion itself. There's so much potential. Faction conflict in Taldor's succession, investigating murder mysteries with sanity mechanics with Ustalav, creating and quelching a revolution in infernal Cheliax.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/4820532832252504422
Update 1.0.9c
Crusaders!

A new patch 1.0.9c has arrived. It’s a small patch this time, but something big is coming, stay tuned.

Beware of possible plot spoilers below!
Quests

• Areelu's insidious plan could not be fulfilled - fixed;
  • 'Where's My Dragon?' quest could get stuck after talking to Early Sunset at the Fleshmarkets - fixed.

Areas

• Bastion of Justice had a wrong terrain type - fixed;
  • Fixed a crash in Mage's Tower;
  • Scrubland by a Bend in the River had a wrong terrain type - fixed.

Crusade

• Bait action could prevent the enemies from taking their turn - fixed;
  • Fixed the missing units issue when you changed the general of an army.

Classes & Mechanics

• Angel and Lich didn't have 10 level spells on 10 level mythic if they merged spellbooks. Fixed, but it requires the summary caster level of merged spellbooks to be at least 28 for these spells to work;
  • Your character could lose Sneak Attack when changing Mythic Path from Trickster to Gold Dragon - fixed.

Turn-based mode

• Experimental fix for camera behaviour in turn-based mode in places with big difference in elevation;
  • Pits weren't respecting the player's decision to play in turn-based mode - fixed.

UI

• One companion could fill multiple roles during rest - fixed;
  • Upon changing the language settings, the names of settlements didn't change - fixed.

Misс

• Kervil the Sparkling Fist could get carried away playing with his weapon, and forget he needs to fight - fixed;
  • Using Midnight Bolt in some situations still didn't work as it should - fixed.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
What sort of inbred came up with the idea that your mythic spells should only scale by your mythic level if you don't merge spell books? Merging spellbooks is already broken to the point of trivializing the game, but the alternate is that you will never pass an offensive spell DC.

Honestly owlcat surprises me at each point, it's as if they are making some stuff so broken as to make it so you completely faceroll the game while making the alternatives so bad that you won't ever even get to apply its effects in encounters.

This game is so frustrating, the good parts are really good and enjoyable, but the bad parts are either completely unusable or borderline dealbreaking. That's ignoring all the gamebreaking oversights.

Pathfinder, more like trap choice finder.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
'd much prefer Owlcat just made a Starfinder

Disagreed; Starfinder lacks full casters. It has only half caster aka technomancer. I don't wanna to be a lv 20 caster unable to cast tier 7 spells.

EDIT : Why my steam is not updating? I wanna test tier 10 spells.

Merging spellbooks is already broken to the point of trivializing the game, but the alternate is that you will never pass an offensive spell DC.

Disagreed. Favorable magic from Azata is amazing.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
What sort of inbred came up with the idea that your mythic spells should only scale by your mythic level if you don't merge spell books? Merging spellbooks is already broken to the point of trivializing the game, but the alternate is that you will never pass an offensive spell DC.

Honestly owlcat surprises me at each point, it's as if they are making some stuff so broken as to make it so you completely faceroll the game while making the alternatives so bad that you won't ever even get to apply its effects in encounters.

This game is so frustrating, the good parts are really good and enjoyable, but the bad parts are either completely unusable or borderline dealbreaking. That's ignoring all the gamebreaking oversights.

Pathfinder, more like trap choice finder.
Owlcat's balance passes are amateurish at best. The notion that they wouldn't implement muskets because they are supposedly overpowered is laughable given that every other feature in Wrath tend to completely invalidate the game. I considered playing an Oracle Angel merge but now I can't conceive of doing so. Maybe if this was my first RPG. But no hobbyist worth it's salt should spellbook merge. Wrath has Dragon Age: Origins tier design and Spellbook Merging is the return of Mana Clash.

Delterius

Arcane
'd much prefer Owlcat just made a Starfinder

Disagreed; Starfinder lacks full casters. It has only half caster aka technomancer. I don't wanna to be a lv 20 caster unable to cast tier 7 spells.
Meh. Iron Gods is about being an android and using laser guns. I couldn't care less about it. I want to be a caster and I want my caster gameplay to be fulfilling. This means I want a setting that supports it and a game system that comes broken out of the box.
Merging spellbooks is already broken to the point of trivializing the game, but the alternate is that you will never pass an offensive spell DC.

Un-merged books have garbage DCs. Doesn't matter if you stack misfortune when enemies auto pass. And Favorable Magic is not a fraction of the sheer stupidity of Merged Spellbooks. You might as well use the console and activate god mode.

FreeKaner

I meant spells from the mythic levels you get. Not the DC bonuses you get from mythic paths to your regular spells. In terms of passing DCs Azata and Demon are not as good as spellbook merging but at least can pass some DCs. The problem exists when you don't spellbook merge and try to use the mythic spells the mythic path gives you, they only scale off your mythic level which will be in 3-6 range for 80% of the game. Unless of course you merge spellbooks, then they are going to be ahead of your class level.

It's just entirely nonsensical decision to make spells from mythic paths depend on mythic level, instead of your total level or even highest class level.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fuck Balance. The best games don't care about it, just like the best countries don't care about "equality". That said, the problem with the game is not that it is unbalanced. The problem of the game is htat you can only reach epic level spellcasting via merging spellbook.

And Favorable Magic is not a fraction of the sheer stupidity of Merged Spellbooks. You might as well use the console and activate god mode.

The problem is that the DC of a lot of spells are bugged.

For example, I in end of my unfair run on kingmaker, was with a DC of 44 to break the Strength check from the spell Ice prison/mass. Not even a Jabberwock could break the spell in a 20. And will deal 22 damage each round(+2 damage from specialization) + 11 due vulnerability till he breaks free(never)

, they only scale off your mythic level which will be in 3-6 range for 80% of the game. Unless of course you merge spellbooks, then they are going to be ahead of your class level.

It's just entirely nonsensical decision to make spells from mythic paths depend on mythic level, instead of your total level or even highest class level.

Nice point. I agree. However, I only use mythic spells in Azata for buffing, so it is not that a big deal for me. Also, your dragon companion as a Azata can reach a caster level of 35. She can give 46 SR to everyone in your party.

FreeKaner

Fuck Balance. The best games don't care about it, just like the best countries don't care about "equality". That said, the problem with the game is not that it is unbalanced. The problem of the game is htat you can only reach epic level spellcasting via merging spellbook.

Nice point. I agree. However, I only use mythic spells in Azata for buffing, so it is not that a big deal for me. Also, your dragon companion as a Azata can reach a caster level of 35. She can give 46 SR to everyone in your party.

This isn't about "balance", balance is about relative power level of choices. This is about "trap choices". If as an Azata you pick buff / refresh stuff that doesn't ever need to pass a DC check, you have made the correct choice. If you picked any offensive spells, you have made the wrong choice. This is called a trap choice, you are never be able to ever use that ability, it will always be a waste of rounds / spell slots whatever it is. This is not case of spellbook merged angel oracle one-rounding Deskari, this is the case of the alternatives being either that, or you can't even pass the spell DC of a spell you picked from your mythic path against random demon mooks that are your level.

Trap choices are unequivocally bad. This game is full of them. Indeed half of the gameplay is simply filtering out what are trap choices, some are intuitive such as alignment effects on weapons or DR, others are obstructed. There is no disclaimer or intuitive reason why the mythic spells which you get at earliest at level 8-10 should be only considering your mythic level when the enemies you are facing will be 10+ level at minimum and going to have DC checks at the high 20s at lowest.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
It's so awesome to see the pathetic faggot Azatas raging about their weakass spellcasting. If you're not a chad Lich/Angel, you don't deserve the merged spellbook level of power, Owlcat blance is based.

Delterius

Arcane
The problem is that Spellbook Merging is a mouthbreather's idea of a feature that invalidates the game. You might as well activate the console and give yourself experience points. That's how pathetic it is to play a merged Lich or Angel. And yes, that is on top of how Owlcat being ridiculously lenient with gear and bonus stacking. I want to play a powerful caster in a good system. I don't want to play Dragon Age: the Mana Clashings 2.

FreeKaner

It's so awesome to see the pathetic faggot Azatas raging about their weakass spellcasting. If you're not a chad Lich/Angel, you don't deserve the merged spellbook level of power, Owlcat blance is based.

Azatas don't have weak spellcasting at all, zippy magic and favourable magic means they are able to cast spells that pass almost any DC check. Azatas have ability to refresh all party's spells without rest, as well as make their whole party immune to a whole lot of effects that hamper spellcasting. Azata spellcasters are very strong, what is weak is Azatas that want to use offensive spells from their mythic spell list.

Delterius

Arcane

Azatas don't have weak spellcasting at all, zippy magic and favourable magic means they are able to cast spells that pass almost any DC check. Azatas have ability to refresh all party's spells without rest, as well as make their whole party immune to a whole lot of effects that hamper spellcasting. Azata spellcasters are very strong, what is weak is Azatas that want to use offensive spells from their mythic spell list.
Correct. It takes a very special kind of person to think that Azatas have weak spellcasting. The kind that uses Spellbook Merging as a crutch.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The problem is that Spellbook Merging is a mouthbreather's idea of a feature that invalidates the game. You might as well activate the console and give yourself experience points. That's how pathetic it is to play a merged Lich or Angel. And yes, that is on top of how Owlcat being ridiculously lenient with gear and bonus stacking. I want to play a powerful caster in a good system. I don't want to play Dragon Age: the Mana Clashings 2.

So... Don't use it and instead use your class abilities and other mythic path features?

FreeKaner

So... Don't use it and instead use your class abilities and other mythic path features?

This brings us back to the initial point, if you don't spellbook merge, your mythic spell list is useless for any ability that has to pass a check. I don't want to use spellbook merging, but I also don't get to not spellbook merge and use spells from the spell list that has to make a DC against enemies you are facing at your level. There is only one possible choice, you either spellbook merge and use spells from your mythic spell list that has to pass DC or you don't and you can never use them. The only option the game is giving you is to merge spellbooks, which trivalizes the game.

Surely you get the issue here? Shouldn't be too hard to have something between "you are going to faceroll entire encounters, and can even one-round an enemy that you are not even supposed to defeat" vs. "you are never going to use this spell against any enemy you are facing". It would be an easy solution to just base your mythic spells based on your highest class level, but no, it is mythic level. Enjoy casting your spells from mythic list at caster level 3 or 4 for nearly entirety of act 3 and 4.

Delterius

Arcane

The problem is that non merged spellbooks are duds. Play a Cleric of Urgathoa and become a Lich. Congratulations, every Lich spell that relies on DCs is crippled. Non merged spellbooks used to have a casting stat, generally Charisma but also Wisdom for Angels and Intelligence for Liches. That was a problem for non standard combos such as Celestial Sorcerer + Angel. But instead of offering people a way to choose their casting stat Owlcat decided to remove casting stats entirely, crippling the feature. That is that issue at hand. That I, personally, consider Spellbook Merging a dumb feature is besides the point. I highly doubt Owlcat meant to design Demon/Aeon/Trickster/Azata/non Merged Lich/non merged Angel spellbooks with the assumption that their DC based spells would be useless.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

This brings us back to the initial point, if you don't spellbook merge, your mythic spell list is useless for any ability that has to pass a check. I don't want to use spellbook merging, but I also don't get to not spellbook merge and use spells from the spell list that has to make a DC against enemies you are facing at your level. There is only one possible choice, you either spellbook merge and use spells from your mythic spell list that has to pass DC or you don't and you can never use them. The only option the game is giving you is to merge spellbooks, which trivalizes the game.

Surely you get the issue here? Shouldn't be too hard to have something between "you are going to faceroll entire encounters, and can even one-round an enemy that you are not even supposed to defeat" vs. "you are never going to use this spell against any enemy you are facing". It would be an easy solution to just base your mythic spells based on your highest class level, but no, it is mythic level. Enjoy casting your spells from mythic list at caster level 3 or 4 for nearly entirety of act 3 and 4.

I get the issue, but I also get why they did it. They tried to make mythic paths usable in a build agnostic way. If they base DCs on a given casting stat, they've already turned away from that, even if they "forked" it and made it contingent on best stat of x/y/z. Basing DC on class level or overall level is retarded and just as arbitrary as the mythic path base.

I'm not suggesting that their decision is ideal or without problems, merely that I get why it's the way it is.

FreeKaner

I get the issue, but I also get why they did it. They tried to make mythic paths usable in a build agnostic way. If they base DCs on a given casting stat, they've already turned away from that, even if they "forked" it and made it contingent on best stat of x/y/z. Basing DC on class level or overall level is retarded and just as arbitrary as the mythic path base.

I'm not suggesting that their decision is ideal or without problems, merely that I get why it's the way it is.

If it is going to be arbitrary, it may as well not be a complete trap choice. If it is going to be mythic level, at least make it mythic level plus 8 or something like that so it stays reasonably close to what a hybrid caster's checks would be at that point so you can use it at least against mooks.

Or just remove DC check spells from non-merged spellbooks entirely and give them something else instead.

Delterius

Arcane
Here's the thing: your post already shows that they made the worst possible decision. To make the mythic spellbooks build agnostic it must synergize with many different types of characters. Basing it around Mythic Ranks or Character Levels are blanket solutions that can either under-shoot or over-shoot the problem. By basing it around Mythic Ranks you basically made it anything but build agnostic: un-merged mythic spellbooks are only worth buffs and attack roll spells that don't require DCs. Meaning they synergize most with characters that do not care about having a spellbook in the first place. The Trickster Ranger gets to use buffs like Microscopic Proportions and Fish Missile. The Azata Witch might as well ignore the damage portions of Water Torrent.

Like I said, back in the beta every Mythic had a casting stat. Which meant that Sorcerer Azatas, Stigmatized Witch Tricksters, Empyreal Sorcerer Angels all worked. Now you can either be a merged Lich/Angel and cruise through the game, or you are an unsupported combination. The system became *less* build agnostic, not more.

And all of this doesn't touch on a second issue: if the progression of merged spellbooks is so quick it trivializes the game, the progression of un-merged mythic spellbooks is too slow.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But instead of offering people a way to choose their casting stat Owlcat decided to remove casting stats entirely, crippling the feature

Yep. In BETA, there was mods to change the casting stat. Instead of allowing it on all casting stats, they decided to cripple mythic spells.

Other problem of spell merging is that there are only one spell merging for arcane and one for divine casters.

You can't make a celestial sorcerer and merge with angel just like you can't make a cleric with undead domain and merge with lich.

And other thing that I found nonsensical is

OwlCat : "we don't wanna muskets, they are too op" (I could understand that they aren't worth the effort, are redundant with crossbows, doesn't fit the setting or any other reason)
Also OwlCat : Here, take this tier 10 pit of win which deals over 30d6 damage per round for 30 rounds while create a epic level nightshade nightcrawler at lv 30.

NUtIamg.png

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Other problem of spell merging is that there are only one spell merging for arcane and one for divine casters.
And not all casters for that matter. Druids don't even get to merge with anybody. Thematically they fit best with Azata and sad is the Druid who thought they'd be nuking people with waterfalls and torrents.
Also OwlCat : Here, take this tier pit of win button tier 10 spell which deals over 30d6 damage per round for 30 rounds while create a epic level nightshade nightcrawler.
I like powerful magic, but I dislike win buttons. You know, I want to be a wizard/sorcerer with a full spellbook and use it all. But if you literally give me a win button I don't get to have that experience. I just press the win button.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom