Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix New Crawler "Dungeon Encounters" by Square Enix, budget lower than the rpgcodex server costs

It doesn't surprise me that the game turned up to be good. It's made by Hiroyuki Ito afterall.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Will play it after i finish Death Mark, hopefully before the 30th when the western release of yomi wo saku hana drops, how long is the game Thac0 ?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Will play it after i finish Death Mark, hopefully before the 30th when the western release of yomi wo saku hana drops, how long is the game Thac0 ?

It has 99 floors, the time it takes for a floor is variable, because you can skip many if not most encounters (I don't know yet when you'll hit a wall because of underleveling, though gear seems to be more important than leveling).

ChaDargo

Arcane

It has 99 floors, the time it takes for a floor is variable, because you can skip many if not most encounters (I don't know yet when you'll hit a wall because of underleveling, though gear seems to be more important than leveling).

I don't get the point of this game... it seems so stripped down. Which is a concept I like, but where does any complexity come from in this distillation of the genre?

Jinn

Arcane
Want to get this to not only support new dungeon crawlers coming out, but the Square side of Squeenix trying some new, seemingly non-shitty things too...but!

I'm reading a lot of "this is over-simplified", "there's not a lot going on here", "every characters the same." In the context of the game itself, I would like to hear from those of you who've put a decent amount of hours into it. Does the exploration stay interesting, is there moments of true difficulty, do you have to manage your resources smartly? Low-budget side of things I couldn't care less about as long as there is good gameplay there. So, enough of the hmming and hawwing. Is this shit good or what?

EDIT: Oh, also, does anyone have a general inkling of how many hours long the game will be to complete?

Last edited:

680x0

Learned
I'm at 4.5 hours and just starting floor 15 out of 100 (?) Floors get progressively larger and the math puzzles look to be getting harder too. Guessing at least 30 hours of play time.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just reached the 3rd area. No sign of stopping the addiction loop yet, on the contrary, it is getting better.
There is even more side stuff to do now. Hunting for lost expedition members is nice, as it expands the roster greatly and the new members join with extremely potent weaponry which is beyond what you would normally be able to purchase.

By now the ability system has opened up a bunch of depth. Abilities are stuff like your entire party being immune to poison, able to ressurect a party member 5/rest or the ability to teleport in the dungeon map with a range of 3 tiles. In the beginning of the game you do have enough ability points to equip all of those, making new ability unlocks only linear QoL upgrades. Now however the abilities become a lot more expensive. Juggling the ability points feels a lot like juggling abilities in Kingdom Hearts 2.
Abilities can also be used in combat. On a turn a unit can use either of the two equipped weapons, or use an ability. All battle abilities are limited per rest. This brings healing, ressurection and armor restocking to combat, which allows you to take on enemies much stronger than your group, but at a large cost. To make up for this enemies got a lot more deadly aswell.

Do not get this game if you are allergic to some mechanics which feel like chores. There are a lot of status effects which kill and remove a party member from the party. Petrification, Consumed, Banished probably aswell. Too many to be immune to them all. Your adventurers will die, and you will need to run around with an incomplete party to pick up their corpses, depetrify them or hack them free from the bellies of monsters. Total party wipes happen rarely, but every once in a while they do, leading to a bunch of solo adventuring where you pick up your A team with a small group of fresh recruit, to haul their corpses back to town. Wizardry 1 but you can't save scum indeed. Unlike Wizardry 1 the experience is a lot smoother if you manually retrieve your groups, the aformentioned skills help you a lot in avoiding combat to get to your fallen teams.

I definitly agree with vonAchdorf, there are no meaningfull distinctions between characters who do not wear gear. Some are just better than others, but you can grind up their base statistics with consumables. There is no real decision to be made which four heroes make up your team. Also 23€ is definitly a bit much for a game that looks like an in-house demo project.
Yet I never cared much about graphics anyway, and the lack of distinction between adventurers has its advantages aswell. I can just run a team with the four portraits/backstories I like the most, and the equipment system has enough depth to lead to unit distinction anyway. If we ever get a spiritual successor to this then more budget and character passives are definitly the way to go.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
On Steam, most of the negative reviews have a low playtime and the people are put off by the presentation, lack of story and the allegedly simplistic combat. Luckily I like the presentation and the lack of story because they both give me the possibility to make up the story and location in my head like in the good old days. The presentation with numbers "06" on the map instead of a healing fountain makes that even easier, because no graphics distract my imagination. But that's just the larping part.

I think they do a good job with introducing the different mechanics, even though it helps if you played similar games. Someone new to the genre will probably hit a wall. And while there are no classes, you later have plenty of options to customize your character. Speed builds, crit builds, counter builds, evasion builds... Though I think the lack of a front and back line makes other possible builds (tank build and magic resistance build) less meaningful.

The encounter design is sometimes cleverly done (can't use the AoE magic because one enemy mage has a spell reflection) but other times, you just mow through them with AoE ranged weapon damage, which is also effective against flying monsters.

You will also gain poison immunity before you ever meet your first poison enemy, which means you don't have to ever think about poison until much later, when you, as Thac0 writes, gain other abilities and might want to disable poison immunity because you need the points.

Negative reviews on Steam which have more playtime criticize the "chores". If you don't like rescuing your K.O.'d party with a bunch of newbs, this game is not for you. And TBH, sometimes it's a chore, because you can avoid pretty much any encounter so running to rescue another party is not a challenge.

I also ran across some mini boss battles, but wasn't able to defeat them and it took my like 20 tries to escape the battle.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After reading impressions, I don't really have much to add.

You're basically thrown right into the fray. A short blurb about why. Pick a party of four characters. They all feel samey. There are minor distinctions. Growth rate is one, and the other one is that some characters my be unable to equip certain types of weapons.

The weaopns of the game are melee/magic/ranged. Yes, you can consider magic as a weapon type. There are no elements at all. Weapons can have different effects. Regular single target damage, random single target damage, hit all targets regular damage or hit all random damage. The enemies use armor like in Divinity OS2. Focus on one type of armor, preferably.
Flying enemies are unlikely to get hit with melee attacks. Use magic or ranged attacks.
Every character can equip two different weapons. There are shields, but I neither got one as lot, nor did I buy one.

I did find one cool gun that has a 100% chance to poison enemies. I guess these types of weapons will only be awarded by events that you complete.

In combat, other than armor, I have tried to equip speed boosting attacks. Getting as many hits as possible is super important.
Gear is mostly just straight upgrades. Hats give magic defense, chest armor gives physical defense. I have barely touched accessories. You have an equipment burden, and they take too much of it where I am at in the game.
Two characters came with an accessory each, though. One raises damage, and the other gives a small evade chance against physical attacks. Already, it has been useful.

What has been addaictive to me is filling out the dungeon floors. The gameplay loop is very straightforward. It's like someone took the word fluff and murdered it.

My general feelings is that it is an okay game idea. I will play it until the end, but I was hoping that what the game lacked in visual fidelity, it would make up for with complex combat. It feels like a good prototype for something greater. Combat isn't bad, mind you. I just want elements, front rows/back rows, and why not jobs/classes? Overall, I'd say that if it goes down to $10, you can give it a try. It's nothing groundbreaking, more like a put on a podcast and chill type of game.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I did find one cool gun that has a 100% chance to poison enemies. I guess these types of weapons will only be awarded by events that you complete.

I have yet to find an encounter where equipping that gun makes sense. At the moment it just wastes a weapon slot you can use better for a different weapon.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I have yet to find an encounter where equipping that gun makes sense. At the moment it just wastes a weapon slot you can use better for a different weapon.
It's good for multi enemy encounters and should ignore armor, but I haven't used it yet. I found it and then had to quit my session.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Ach, the poison gun is single target, and shields are used on the accessory slot.

I have been trying to zoom out the camera ever since I started. Turns out it is an ability you get, which is very helpful.

On floor 14, things are getting more dangerous. I'm consuming the mystery compounds to raise HP and PP. My party desperately needs new gear. My best defense is 300. Found a copper armlet in Treasure 2 that has 3000PD. Made me smile.

This is the first floor where I feel like I'm living on the edge. No party wipes, but there have been som KOs. It is probably time to level up a backup party.

There is one bullshit encounter that is the reason for most of my deaths. It's a powerful af ghost, with over 40k in both PD and MD, plus attacks that deal 20k damage. The first time, it took my party 18 attempts to successfully flee.

I also got the pleasure to get in a fight on the square FC. This fucker steals huge amounts of money from you. Your total amount of gold can go into the negatives! Intended or not, I do not know. I panicked and fled.

I'm wary of everything, everyone and everything is my nemesis.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Ach, the poison gun is single target, and shields are used on the accessory slot.

I have been trying to zoom out the camera ever since I started. Turns out it is an abimity you get, which is very helpful.

On floor 14, things are getting more dangerous. I'm consuming the mystery compounds to raise HP and PP. My party desperately needs new gear. My best defense is 300. Found a copper armlet in Treasure 2 that has 3000PD. Made me smile.

This is the first floor where I feel like I'm living on the edge. No party wipes, but there have been som KOs. It is probably time to level up a backup party.

There is one bullshit encounter that is the reason for most of my deaths. It's a powerful af ghost, with over 40k in both PD and MD, plus attacks that deal 20k damage. The first time, it took my party 18 attempts to successfully flee.

I also got the pleasure to get in a fight on the square FC. This fucker steals huge amounts of money from you. Your total amount of gold can go into the negatives! Intended or not, I do not know. I panicked and fled.

I'm wary of everything, everyone and everything is my nemesis.

Now this is what I like to read.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I have been trying to zoom out the camera ever since I started. Turns out it is an ability you get, which is very helpful.

On floor 14, things are getting more dangerous.

Did yo already get the ability? I'm deeper than 14 but didn't get it yet.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
How's the track wanderer ability working? Does it include other floors too? I was tracking a wanderer but couldn't get closer than 3 or 2 tiles. I checked for hidden pathways of course.

Casual Hero

Augur
I'm on Floor 23 now.

I don't have much input to add, as the write-ups here have been very comprehensive and helpful.
I've had one party wipe now, and had to make a very careful walk down to floor 15 to recover them. I like how there are different characters scattered through the dungeon; it somehow makes it feel more active than it is. You yourself can also drop off members on any tile of the dungeon, if you have any reason to. (Petrified characters cannot be carried, and must be left on the tile they were petrified on. There are special altars you must visit to un-petrify them.)

Combats are getting a lot longer and I'm taking a lot of damage, so I think I need to find some alternate party builds. AoE nuking can only take you through the first 20 floors or so.

I'm having a lot of fun. Definitely more pick-up-and-play than some of the alternatives in the genre, and I take that as a plus.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
How's the track wanderer ability working? Does it include other floors too? I was tracking a wanderer but couldn't get closer than 3 or 2 tiles. I checked for hidden pathways of course.
I found Eagle Eye at 11. 30. 68.

I don't have Wanderer Tracking yet.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. Glad to hear you're all enjoying it! :) I loaded it up just to see the first few minutes, and wow, what a beautiful sight indeed. I feel as though this game was specially made just for me, heh. Really great stuff. I am forcing myself not to play yet, I want to get further with Bard's Tale IV as well as Grimoire and maybe Balrum/Shiren The Wanderer, so we'll see. But man, this looks like it's going to be REALLY something special.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I found Eagle Eye at 11. 30. 68.

I don't have Wanderer Tracking yet.

Thanks. I just had to boot up the game and get it. It was on a part of a map I skipped over. Most maps I try to 100% but some I skipped. The ability collecting is addictive. I also picked up an ability which makes you stronger when you go solo. Now I need to find Hero Irene.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom