Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Worst Obsidian RPG?

Worst Obsidian RPG

• Total voters

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, we have the other thread discussing the "best of the garbage pile", now let's discuss the worst.

(though this time the DLCs and expansions are considered part of each game, because I'm finding the way it's set up on the other thread stupid)

Beans00

Augur
NWN 2-Was pure pain (Apparently MOTB was better but I never got past the tutorial area).

Alpha protocol- I quit during the hacking minigame, looked like a typical mass effect clone

Outer worlds was pretty garbage. Whole game was designed around really shitty infantile anti corporate humour when the game was clearly a soulless corporate cash grab for the anti fallout 76 crowd.

Never played ds3,stick,poe2(yet)

Poe1/tyranny aren't exactly good games but not as bad as people on this forum make them out to be.

NV i liked alot and kotor 2 was pretty average or slightly above average.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Neverwinter Nights 2. The only Obsidian RPG I dropped out of boredom.

Propably will have to pick it up one day in order to get to the good parts (Mask of the Betrayer).

Duraframe300

Arcane
Has to be between NWN2 OC and Outer Worlds really.

Dungeon Siege 3 will score highly here, but imo that's gonna be more about some general thought about what the game is than what the game actually contains.
Which isn't that wrong depending on how we define RPG here.

jackofshadows

Magister
DS 3 was just too bad of a game (didn't finish it, though). TOW was offensively mediocre, yes but not that bad, really.

Duraframe300

Arcane
DS 3 was just too bad of a game (didn't finish it, though). TOW was offensively mediocre, yes but not that bad, really.

I just don't get that really. There were flaws, sure (Keyboard controls and Online Multiplayer were garbage, as well as several other missteps due to inexperience,). But, imo combat was fun, lore books were great, story wasn't great but inoffensive and at times fun at least and there was clearly some passion in it, especially noticeable if you were a fan of the genre containing even some small details like the swamp bugs using Secret of Evermore like animations.

I'd prefer that a million times over the boring-bad passages in certain other Obsidian titles.

That's me though, and I will admit I'm probably heavily biased towards it, one because I played through it in couch co-op (though I have beaten it in SP also) and the other because I do enjoy these console action-*rpgs* (though rpg is saying much here, and as I already said, if viewed under the lens of an rpg, it's certainly Obsidian's *worst* one.)

It's good for what it is.

jackofshadows

Magister

I've refreshed my memory a bit and I haven't changed my mind for sure. Holy fuck, that's bad. But yeah, in co-op many shitty games are genuinely fun, I agree. But while other games from the list with shitty gameplay has some actually redeemable qualities to compensate, this one - not to me, no. On top of all that, DS3 is also a bad sequel, I wouldn't mind a game which would develop the ideas of the first one instead of what Obsidian did.

Gargaune

Magister
Gentlemen, the OP explicitly said expansions count, so NWN2 includes MotB, voting it as "the worst" is objectively wrong. Besides, The Older Worlds is getting a successor, why would you try to rob Microsoft of the opportunity to put "Sequel to the RPG Codex's Worst Obsidian RPG" on the box?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I just don't get that really. There were flaws, sure (Keyboard controls and Online Multiplayer were garbage, as well as several other missteps due to inexperience,). But, imo combat was fun, lore books were great, story wasn't great but inoffensive and at times fun at least and there was clearly some passion in it, especially noticeable if you were a fan of the genre containing even some small details like the swamp bugs using Secret of Evermore like animations.

I'd prefer that a million times over the boring-bad passages in certain other Obsidian titles.

That's me though, and I will admit I'm probably heavily biased towards it, one because I played through it in couch co-op (though I have beaten it in SP also) and the other because I do enjoy these console action-*rpgs* (though rpg is saying much here, and as I already said, if viewed under the lens of an rpg, it's certainly Obsidian's *worst* one.)

It's good for what it is.

Fisting this as I thought I was the only Codexer who quite liked DS3. It wasn't really a Dungeon Siege game, but it was a pretty good action RPG with all the characters playing slightly differently and moderately challenging combat. I'd put that above the plain boring games of Outer Worlds and Tyranny.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Oh yeah, forgot I also have no deep love for Dungeon Siege and honestly the lore at least (and Treasures of the Sun, which I'm still a bit sad about regarding no sequel, as I would have loved to see what George Ziets would have done with that end choice) was more interesting to me writing wise than 99% of what Dungeon Siege offered.

That's profoundly my own preference though. Isn't meant to insult Dungeon Siege as a franchise which I know has plenty fans. Shackleton

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
I don't understand everyone who says OW was a horrible game. It was ok, and I like the concept of space colonies. I think it was just unoriginal, essentially New Vegas in space. But the concept itself of space corporate feudalism is great, they just need to improve the execution. Maybe greatly cut on the jokes, because you can't take a game seriously that consists of nothing but jokes.

To me the worst is definitely Alpha Protocol. I get a headache just thinking about it.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't understand everyone who says OW was a horrible game. It was ok, and I like the concept of space colonies. I think it was just unoriginal, essentially New Vegas in space. But the concept itself of space corporate feudalism is great, they just need to improve the execution. Maybe greatly cut on the jokes, because you can't take a game seriously that consists of nothing but jokes.

To me the worst is definitely Alpha Protocol. I get a headache just thinking about it.

OW to me, was just so dull, derivative and lacking in challenge or interest that it was the worst of all their games. I played it through Gamepass on release, and now, however long later it is, I just cannot remember anything about it apart from the point I stopped. I'd arrived at a new planet and some asian guy spouted a load of exposition at me and it was all so soul crushingly tedious I just couldn't face it anymore. I never finished South Park, Tyranny or PoE 2 either, but I remember lots more about those games just because for a while, they at least were interesting. Alpha Protocol I did finish and remember loads about that one, it tried to do something a bit different and fell short, but it tried. OW felt like it was designed by committee to be as middle of the road as possible to appeal to as many people as possible and it was like watching a really boring film that was based on another film that also wasn't that good. Yeah, I really didn't like it.

Probably Outer Worlds for me. Couldn't believe how bland it was. I should still try to finish it one of these days. Maybe the dlc will help but I know nothing about them.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Outer worlds hands down. Followed by POE 1 the way it was released (without WM content). Its very sad to see people voting for DS3. Its honestly not that bad!! Some neat steam punk atmosphere, witty dialogues, satisfying combat also it was BY FAR the most polished and finished Obsidian game on release. Give it another chance when it gets a good 75% discount.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom