Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SWERY's The Good Life - cat lady simulator from Deadly Premonition creator

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played more of the demo. It's HUGE.

Like you can do bunch of sidequests that usually have you photographing certain objects sometimes based on riddles or collecting items. The thing is unlike stardew valley It's more of a scripted, story quests that NPCs give you rather than repeat radiant quests type.

Like i got into a drinking contest with alcoholic pastor that declare himself drinKING.

Or this hotel manager that's paranoid that angel of death is stalking him, so he mistook scarecrows as grim reaper and ask us to take photos to make sure none of them are actual reapers.

There is a lot going on here, and it is pretty fun far. The map is big but there is a demo boundaries where you cant pass. I got in for 3 hours so far.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Ok finished the demo. If you try to do everything you can it will take 4-5 hours, which is a huge amount. If you just go trough the main story it will probably only take you around 1 hour or a bit more.

The starting area is unlocked, i'd say within a kilometer radius of the town center. If you go out of bounds the narrator will just tell you the area is off limits and teleport you back within the area. It's good they give tons of freedom inside the demo area you can basically do anything the game has to offer inside the radius.

The story is intriguing, naomi went to the village for a job offer that promised to cover her massive debt, stumble into murder at the end of the demo which obviously hides some big conspiracy behind everything (the dead lady in the trailer so i dont consider it a spoiler). Looks like the whole main story will be about whodunit and the magic thing that turn people into animals.

In between, you do various tutorial main quests that introduces you to the main mechanics (shopping, hunger, basic crafting and cooking, turning into cats or dogs, and photographing)

The main way to get money are sidequests and photography. The side quests are good to decent. They are given by NPC and teach you the more in depth side mechanics, as well as telling their own story. The characters are funny and zany (reminds me of the inhabitants of the city in zelda majoras mask) and while sidequests are linear, the story/dialogue/character interaction gives them context that it doesnt feel like generic quests.

Earning money by photography requires you to upload to social media, and there are trending topics like for example, squirrels or certain types of food, if you find them and upload it, it will generate massive ad revenue that earn you more money. Like regular photos will net you between 100 to 500 likes, that will earn you a few euros, if you submit picture with relevant types (each objects have a category ) you can get thousands of likes that will earn you more money.

Some flaws i found is sadly so far not every single houses are enterable, only the major character's so there are tons of houses and bulding that are just props.

The control can be awkward, especially the platforming with cats, and the game is a bit janky here and there, but relatively very well polished for a demo

Terenty

Liturgist
Yeah, after the crap that was Deadly Premonition 2 this is a return to form.

The game just feels like a good old adventure of yore

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
just 1 day left and i am unreasonably excited for this game since it's unlike anything else I have played the past few years. the concept, execution and mystery elements are such a breath of fresh air

Jinn

Arcane
just 1 day left and i am unreasonably excited for this game since it's unlike anything else I have played the past few years. the concept, execution and mystery elements are such a breath of fresh air

Yeah, when I started the demo a week ago, I really didn't think I'd be as excited as I am about it now. I just can't get it out of my head. There's something about it. It's just so weird, and yeah, I can't think of anything quite like it. Not necessarily in terms of gameplay, but just the entire package, how it's presented, and all that's mashed into it. It seems like something that shouldn't really exist, but ends up working anyway.

Hoping it actually comes out when it says it will on Steam. Should be in a little over 26 hours from now if accurate.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This game just plopped in the Steam store. I still need to finish Chasing Static, which was released yesterday, but after that I'll probably get this game. It looks quite fun. I just hope it's not a bug ridden mess.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
It's pretty polished so far. It immediately starts where the demo ended if you play it, and final version immediately fixed some of the bugs (like controller icons registered as mouse/KB button) i had in the demo

Ivan

Arcane
Put in 2 hours or so and I'm finding it to be delightful. Love the emphasis on the small town, its NPCs with day/night routines. Looking forward to solving the mystery.

-music has been excellent, much of the time sounding like indie folk rock, specifically reminding me of Belle and Sebastian for its shop themes

Terenty

Liturgist
I'm enjoying the game quite a lot, but there's one thing i don't like, the quest markers. They show you exactly where to go most of the time

One example, there's a side quest to investigate the angel of death at the church and instead of going there and exploring the area, you get the exact location on your map.

Then he says there's another one in the north east part or whatever of the town and the description is highlighted in red like smth to keep in mind and then it's still marked on the map. Like they forgot to turn off the markers

You can't turn it off i believe?

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
this is some serious out of context screenshot lol.
20211016200126_1.jpg
20211016200134_1.jpg
20211016200154_1.jpg

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
quest marker is broken for me, the game wants me to get a golden egg and the quest marker is always on the far edge of the map in the southwest.. also no backer outfit yet.. game has tons of bugs might wait to play it, it's annoying.. and why can't I get rid of my cold/aching tooth etc. I go to the vet after 7am and fucking no one is there..

Ivan

Arcane
love how some NPCs magically spawn based on which quest you have active lol. you can be in someone's shop, alone, toggle the quest, and bam the NPC materializes lol <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom