Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ADL

Prophet
The difference between ^ being really cool or really shitty is entirely dependent on cloth physics and whether or not other equipment clips through it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I hate this modern trend of adding flapping cloth to a futuristic space suit so it could look semi-fantasy. I think Destiny started it, and then other generic games like TOW/Outriders/etc etc have followed.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I hate this modern trend of adding flapping cloth to a futuristic space suit so it could look semi-fantasy. I think Destiny started it, and then other generic games like TOW/Outriders/etc etc have followed.

I think it's usually more western than fantasy.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
This was leaked how aliens will look like in Starfield

th_crazy_galsses_top_jd.jpg.cf.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Procedurally generated space between designed hubs actually sounds interesting by modern Bethesda standards, maybe in another 20 years they'll make something half as cool as Daggerfall again.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Procedurally generated space between designed hubs actually sounds interesting by modern Bethesda standards, maybe in another 20 years they'll make something half as cool as Daggerfall again.
Daggerfall cool? A handful of quality handcrafted content drowned in a sea of pointless, obnoxious random generation. Not my cup of tea.

tritosine2k

Erudite

FYI "procedurally generated" nowadays means the visual has to fit into framerate / power envelope and so it's more of a culling thing

think of less obnoxious popping at distance

Magitex

Educated
It wouldn't be bad, but most AAA developers think procedural generation just means insert random loot boxes or enemies without rhyme or reason.. and I haven't seen anything to the contrary from Bethesda yet. I'm still kind of excited for Starfield, especially if they're going to have a more procedural environment, but my expectations are that it will just be some under-designed randomization in static areas that won't hold my interest for very long.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yeah I'm sure the game will be perfect otherwise.

I mean these are the creators of "Fallout" 76, what could possibly go wrong?

tritosine2k

Erudite

FYI "procedurally generated" nowadays means the visual has to fit into framerate / power envelope and so it's more of a culling thing

but it is ,
clear.png

Magitex

Educated

but it is ,
clear.png
Procedural means a fair few things and in the context of computing/gaming, usually means objects and game elements added/removed in runtime - these being classified as procedural generation. Unless they specifically stated it would be used for level-of-detail and culling, I think it's safe to say they meant adding to the area content with rule-based randomization, i.e nebula with different effects, random rocks to mine, 50 different flavors of hats, braindead pirate AI waiting for the player.

tritosine2k

Erudite
It has to come down to culling because even PC-s with dishwasher power consumption levels can't deal with complexity of any sort and it can't get you a sense of exploration otherwise, plus they cannot even save that into savefiles most likely.

Nice try at some low-key hype though.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

but it is ,
clear.png

That's an interesting technology, but still - if you say "procedurally generated" then people, both gamers and developers, will think of games like Minecraft and not a procedural culling method.

Tihskael

Learned
As far as procedurally generated terrain is concerned, I am sure a lot of Oblivion's terrain except the settlements and cities was procedurally generated. The artists then put in some more details and polished it till it looked good enough.

Gargaune

Magister
As far as procedurally generated terrain is concerned, I am sure a lot of Oblivion's terrain except the settlements and cities was procedurally generated. The artists then put in some more details and polished it till it looked good enough.
That's not what "procedurally generated" is used for in common parlance, though. The term describes content being generated at runtime, whereas what you're talking about is level designers using an algorithmic approach to laying down a base to iterate on manually. Diablo 2's levels are procedurally generated, whereas Oblivion's devs used an algorithm to generate a first draft for tree placements (that was all!), then touched it up and it's persistent in the final product.

Procedural generation never means graphical culling, wtf are you talking about? It means "semi randomish but works" like Diablo maps and rogue levels.

tritosine2k

Erudite

Procedural generation never means graphical culling, wtf are you talking about? It means "semi randomish but works" like Diablo maps and rogue levels.

Even diablo(1) mapgen is culling by its very nature, the whole generation is re-run when the level is unwalkable. Oops. Maybe lay down that kool aid dude.

Even diablo(1) mapgen is culling by its very nature, the whole generation is re-run when the level is unwalkable. Oops. Maybe lay down that kool aid dude.
Hmm, yeah, definitely. You, the one guy with his own unique headcannon definition of a common term, are the smart one here. Please keep telling me that proc gen means graphical culling (And no, regenerating a map when it fails is not graphical culling you dunce).

You half remembered a term you heard once from a video, and thought you'd be the ackshually guy. But instead you've made an ass of yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom