Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wargaming Addict blog

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Well I can come out of the woods I guess.

I created a blog where I try to play all wargames in the order of release - a lot like the CRPG Addict, except with wargames. 24 games and counting.

It is there :

https://zeitgame.net/index-of-game-played-by-name

Some personal life events (BABY ! NEW JOB !) should slow me down significantely starting Q4 2021, but I will carry on, especially if it is popular.

Don't pay too much attention to how I rated the games until #21. I am not satisfied with it and I will update that.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm guessing it's not really a secret since it's linked right there on the front page, but there's also a forum with AARs/Let's Plays like the ones ValeVelKal has run here a couple of times. You know how good they are, so those of you who aren't already there (and aren't shitheads) should keep a lookout for new roll calls. Hope I'm not out of line in recommending that.

And who knows, some day the blog might actually get to a game I'd want to play myself. In the meantime it's still cool to read.

(BABY ! NEW JOB !)
Congrats!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I'm guessing it's not really a secret since it's linked right there on the front page, but there's also a forum with AARs/Let's Plays like the ones ValeVelKal has run here a couple of times. You know how good they are, so those of you who aren't already there (and aren't shitheads) should keep a lookout for new roll calls. Hope I'm not out of line in recommending that.

Congrats!
Absolutely not out of line, but I am unlikely to start a new rolll-call before I know how I can manage with my new job, so November. If there is no old game appropriate, it will be for a modern game : the Phantom Doctrine. A nuX-COM-like, but also so much more than nuX-COM.

I even did some preparatory tests :

ZktbH4C.png

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Just pushing that up, because the next Interactive AAR is soon. It will be based on a 1982 game, will be interactive but not too involving, and incredibly bloody. Think "those games of werewolves" bloody, except there is no traitor.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
it'll be interesting when you reach the mid 90's since the success of ssi's panzer general caused an explosion of wargames to come out

talonsoft's games were the better ones from that era

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Congratulations on the kid and the blog!
You should be able to get your free time almost back to normal in last kid + 6 years :D

Much more than CRPGs. Reason being that wargames actually take thought and skill, and not just RNG and savescum.
True but wargames always have an element of randomness. I still remember my armies falling to take Tula on a 2+ 3 times in a row in my monster Tabletop World in Flames game :D

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
True but wargames always have an element of randomness. I still remember my armies falling to take Tula on a 2+ 3 times in a row in my monster Tabletop World in Flames game
If it has rolls, it always has RNG
Yes! I meant that the part about skills and thought was true, but the part about RNG wasn't.
Also, it took longer for computers to beat poker than chess, so RNG = less skill is total bullshit (that is, unless you savescum)...

You should be able to get your free time almost back to normal in last kid + 6 years :D

Much more than CRPGs. Reason being that wargames actually take thought and skill, and not just RNG and savescum.
True but wargames always have an element of randomness. I still remember my armies falling to take Tula on a 2+ 3 times in a row in my monster Tabletop World in Flames game :D
I love World in Flames, I can't believe I used to actually have time to play the actual board game all spread out for days at a time..seems impossible now..

Norfleet

The thing to understand about babies is that they have only two real needs: Food, and the hose. In my fambly, we thus clearly divided the labor in that the wife handled all the food-based needs while I handled all the hose-based needs. Through my hose control console, I could administer water and air, in warm and cold flavors, at varying pressure. This entirely covers all hose-based problems.

You may think this sounds insane. That's a sign that it works. How do we know this? Well, consider that you are faced with a problem. Realize that your experience is not novel or unusual, you are not special. Everyone else has encountered this before also. All of the sane-sounding solutions have been attempted. None of them worked, because the problem remains unsolved, as proven by the fact that you are still encountering it. Therefore, nothing sane is ever the correct answer to anything.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
do you think you'll do a post on smolensk '41? i bought that on a whim and i'm having blast - i can see why people consider john tiller's first post-talonsoft game essential

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
How in the Nine Hells did I miss this thread? Congrats ValeVelKal!

True but wargames always have an element of randomness. I still remember my armies falling to take Tula on a 2+ 3 times in a row in my monster Tabletop World in Flames game
If it has rolls, it always has RNG

Life also has RNG in it, so it checks out.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
do you think you'll do a post on smolensk '41? i bought that on a whim and i'm having blast - i can see why people consider john tiller's first post-talonsoft game essential
Well, I am in 1982 and it is in 1999, so I cannot guarantee that it will happen any time soon, even if I "restrict" my criteria for inclusion in the blog as time passes on. Sadly, John Tiller past away in 2021, so I won't get to ask him questions, either.

At least, I am already on the first Gary Grisby's games, and so far they are a blast.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Might as well name it the ssi and avalon blog considering how much of their games you are gonna have to get through until you reach something else.
Also i was prepared to have a wall of text if nukewar was given too low of a score.
20/100,not great,not terrible,considering the era.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Might as well name it the ssi and avalon blog considering how much of their games you are gonna have to get through until you reach something else.
Also i was prepared to have a wall of text if nukewar was given too low of a score.
20/100,not great,not terrible,considering the era.
I see you are reading the old posts. I am not too happy with my early "style", with my early grading system (which I later updated to "totally obsolete / obsolete / well designed but obsolete / and then more positive stuff) and ... my typos (I am French, so my English is, well, "International"). I started using Grammarly from game #20 or so, and it improved both typos/grammar and style a lot - but I did not correct the old entries.
The Invasion Orion and Computer Napoleonics AAR are probably the worst of the blog.

About SSI and Avalon Hill, out of 45 games I have 16 SSI and 11 Avalon Hill. Starting in 1983 it should diversify with Microprose... and the totally forgotten Ark Royal Games games that churned wargames for Coco like croissants out of a French bakery. Also, French games with Loriciels entering the fray.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom