Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Poseidon00

Arcane

"Chooses to be disabled because that is all he has to make him interesting"
Oof! Pretty much Twitter faggots in a nutshell.

It is what I have been hearing from other TTRPG channels as well as observed with my own eyes at places like Wal-Mart and Target. My local Wal-Mart has had the same D&D 5e books on the shelf since June. I have noticed this every time I go there and asked the guys who work there what is going on and why those books aren't selling despite being on the shelves for months and they tell me that there is no demand for them and that they probably won't ask inventory to restock them and just replace them with some Marvel and DC crap. From what I have been hearing a lot of people are going to OSR because:
1. They can't stand having to replace and spend 50 bucks for a rule book every six months because some hypersensitive faggot on Twitter got offended by something and made Wizards change it to please them.
2. They want much more leaner rule books that cut out all the fluff and get right down to the nitty gritty of the rules.
Either way things are about to go up shit creek for Wizards as OSR is one problem they can have sugar daddy Hasbro kill off. Its either adapt or get left in the dust.

Wait, is this "wheelchair accessible dungeon" thing real? I thought it was only a meme lmao.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State

Holly shit, Kneon actually gave me a shout out in his latest video about WoTC and how awful the table top culture is now. Didn't think my crappy tweet would get his attention. Oh and RazorFist mentions in the comments that they have Thaco deck out in green and purple. The colors associated with GamerGate. Still living rent free in their heads after almost 8 years.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
soapbox statements about how the original fans weren't welcome at their tables

Is this referring to the "you're fired" tweet by that pathetic cuck Mearls? Because if not, I'd like a link so I can see if I'm doubly fired from D&D. :smug:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
soapbox statements about how the original fans weren't welcome at their tables

Is this referring to the "you're fired" tweet by that pathetic cuck Mearls? Because if not, I'd like a link so I can see if I'm doubly fired from D&D. :smug:

I actually had to go back and look it up since there've been several, including Mearls' tweets. Turns out, I was mostly thinking about a tweet by Biowhore Patrick Weekes which although it isn't from WOTC, it does summarize the general WOTC sentiment fairly well though:

I mean, while looking for it, I found this statement from Jeremy Crawford on combat wheelchairs which irritated me further:

Please uphold my bliss by removing your retarded shit from the game. :argh:

Codex Year of the Donut

Thac0 the clown
honkhonk.png

Reminds me of when Sir Tech added that Cleve easter egg in JA2.

Green and purple, real subtle.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Please uphold my bliss by removing your retarded shit from the game. :argh:

I will gladly bliss all over 5e, WotC and their disgusting manwhore employees.

---

Despite having just written that, I have to confess I'm actually running the adventure that comes with the Essentials Kit for my group since they wanted to try out 5e. Yes, I'm feeling filthy. We're having fun, of course, but not because the system or the adventure are particularly good; the system obviously sucks, although it's less noticeable at lower levels, and the adventure is mediocre at best... but I do enjoy the fact that the married gnome kings are borderline insane chaotic neutrals. :smug:

Still, I'd rather be playing something else, and I hope my players will soon grow tired of it as well. There was already some faint boredom hanging in the air when they fought that boring-ass HP sponge of a manticore.

Mortmal

Arcane

"Chooses to be disabled because that is all he has to make him interesting"
Oof! Pretty much Twitter faggots in a nutshell.

It is what I have been hearing from other TTRPG channels as well as observed with my own eyes at places like Wal-Mart and Target. My local Wal-Mart has had the same D&D 5e books on the shelf since June. I have noticed this every time I go there and asked the guys who work there what is going on and why those books aren't selling despite being on the shelves for months and they tell me that there is no demand for them and that they probably won't ask inventory to restock them and just replace them with some Marvel and DC crap. From what I have been hearing a lot of people are going to OSR because:
1. They can't stand having to replace and spend 50 bucks for a rule book every six months because some hypersensitive faggot on Twitter got offended by something and made Wizards change it to please them.
2. They want much more leaner rule books that cut out all the fluff and get right down to the nitty gritty of the rules.
Either way things are about to go up shit creek for Wizards as OSR is one problem they can have sugar daddy Hasbro kill off. Its either adapt or get left in the dust.

Wait, is this "wheelchair accessible dungeon" thing real? I thought it was only a meme lmao.

It does and it works since people are talking about that and 5e is still the most popular. While GURPS with all its merits is not.

RangerBoo

Arcane
That video I posted from Clownfish TV is now being flooded with Critical Role fans in the comments coming to WoTC defense. It is funny as most Critical Role fans are anti capitalist and anti wealth commies but they are the first to come to the defense of multi millionaires like the Critical Role crew and a multi million dollar corporate monopoly like WoTC. It never fails to amaze me in seeing progressive anti capitalist commies being the biggest consumers and defenders of corporations.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That video I posted from Clownfish TV is now being flooded with Critical Role fans in the comments coming to WoTC defense. It is funny as most Critical Role fans are anti capitalist and anti wealth commies but they are the first to come to the defense of multi millionaires like the Critical Role crew and a multi million dollar corporate monopoly like WoTC. It never fails to amaze me in seeing progressive anti capitalist commies being the biggest consumers and defenders of corporations.

That's because these folks are trained to be consumers by fascist teachers. You know what the difference is between a fascist and a commie? A fascist embraces corporations while a commie runs from them.

I used to debate commies all the time and tell them that if they truly believed in it then they would be letting homeless people sleep in the homes and give away all their stuff to people less fortunate to them. They refused because it was their stuff.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I got an idea for WoTC. Instead of Thaco they should of made a male cross dressing, balding elf who goes by the name "Miss Perkins" and only let's kids into the carnival and calls them his "unhatched eggs", or does this hit too close to home for the degenerate WoTC employees?

No, you should use potential future customers to fit or a clump of cells due to their pro-death of babies in the womb stance.

RangerBoo

Arcane
Well I decided to bite the bullet and get the pdf of Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy as I wanted to see how WoTC were going to retcon and destroy Baldur's Gate even more such as making Boo be a genderfluid furry going by They/Them pronouns. To my utter surprise the book is not that bad all things considered. The creator of Minsc and Boo and one of the lead devs for Baldur's Gate wrote and designed the book. There are some good things to point out:
1. Edwin is still a man in this book. For the longest time the Fandom Wikis that are all run by trannie jannies kept insisting that Edwin lost a fight to Elminster and was permanently transformed into a woman. Ohlen said "Fuck that!" and Edwin is back to being a man.
2. Viconia evil aliment has not been retcon. I was so worried that they would do to Viconia what they did to Iggwilv in that they would change her aliment to neutral because WoTC believe in the same shit that Chris Chan does about women in that women are incapable of evil and when they are villains it is either because they mean well but are misunderstood or is because of a man. Nope! Not with this. Viconia is still a neutral evil bitch who now leads a cult of Shar.
3. Kagain is still raging manlet.
4. Social Justices shit is kept to a minimal.
5. The artwork is actually pretty good and not vomit inducing Tumblr shit.
After the past decade of beatings that Baldur's Gate has gotten from WoTC it is nice to see that this book doesn't piss all over it and actually respects the source material and lore. Which leads me to believe that WoTC will quickly and quietly retcon the ever loving hell out of it to make it be more "INCLUSIVE!"

deuxhero

Arcane

Holly shit, Kneon actually gave me a shout out in his latest video about WoTC and how awful the table top culture is now. Didn't think my crappy tweet would get his attention. Oh and RazorFist mentions in the comments that they have Thaco deck out in green and purple. The colors associated with GamerGate. Still living rent free in their heads after almost 8 years.

Honestly, I'd rather hang out with Thaco than the other characters WotC has introduced for 5E. Hes got a much cooler outfit and competent art than the alternatives, and is doing a viable career.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
All RangerBoo's observations would mean is that other fans shared my feelings. Hopefully there are enough millennials and rainbow brigadiers to make up for the turned off fans, but much like other hobbies, I expect there are not.

https://screenrant.com/dungeons-dragons-best-year-sales-ever-wizards-coast/

That is the problem, they are able to get away with this because you don't matter. Grognards don't buy DnD materials, they havn't since either 3rd edition or since Pathfinder overtook 3.5. Loss from scorning old fans is negligible, get woke go broke does not apply to WotC sadly.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
All RangerBoo's observations would mean is that other fans shared my feelings. Hopefully there are enough millennials and rainbow brigadiers to make up for the turned off fans, but much like other hobbies, I expect there are not.

That is the problem, they are able to get away with this because you don't matter. Grognards don't buy DnD materials, they havn't since either 3rd edition or since Pathfinder overtook 3.5. Loss from scorning old fans is negligible, get woke go broke does not apply to WotC sadly.

I don't think that's necessarily true in the way you're implying. Not because serious grognards didn't behave the way you mention, but because that's from 2019, it's nearly 2022 and RangerBoo was talking about book releases since then. 2019 was around the height of Critical Role and such that really pushed 5E with younger people. The question is what's happened since then and has that momentum continued on? Articles from two years ago don't tell us that, but anecdotally there seems to be more backlash lately because the stuff to be complained about is more out there stupid rather than simply edition wars which go all the way back to the release of 2E.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I don't think that's necessarily true in the way you're implying. Not because serious grognards didn't behave the way you mention, but because that's from 2019, it's nearly 2022 and RangerBoo was talking about book releases since then. 2019 was around the height of Critical Role and such that really pushed 5E with younger people. The question is what's happened since then and has that momentum continued on? Articles from two years ago don't tell us that, but anecdotally there seems to be more backlash lately because the stuff to be complained about is more out there stupid rather than simply edition wars which go all the way back to the release of 2E.

https://gamedaily.biz/article/2075/dungeons-dragons-had-its-best-year-ever-in-2020
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/13/dungeons-dragons-had-its-biggest-year-despite-the-coronavirus.html
https://www.geekwire.com/2021/hasbr...-big-growth-dungeons-dragons-magic-gathering/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/dungeons-dragons-gets-a-bigger-role-at-hasbro-11614254403

It is just not stopping. There is no boycott, on the contrary, DnD surges through the coof and carries Hasbro singlehandedly while all of their other brands falter.
We must face it, DnDs new young publicum does not care about woke at best, and probably actively welcomes it. And they are very willing to vote with their wallet.

SoupNazi

For a bunch of elitists who proclaim to be so far above the "normies" you lot sure do seem to be very concerned about the mainstream publisher publishing shit. I would have thought somebody as smart as you all present yourselves to be would be able to adapt, adjust, or choose one of the many "old-school" alternatives to play?

Or are you concerned about the fact that the LFG posts on Roll20 all list as LGBT+ and wheelchair friendly nowadays, because you're all so insufferable you can't find a non-"normie" group to play with elsewhere?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom