Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
Has there ever been a decent argument for the blockchain meme in video games? I don't really understand blockchain so I'll reserve judgement but NFTs are cancerous garbage for retards.

Good news Epicbros

Dexter

Arcane

They've since implemented this in the Live Client version, but for some reason have hidden it behind various sub-menus, I stumbled upon it by accident:
gamessteam9ykib.jpg

If you want to get there: View --> Settings --> Downloads and click "Steam Library Folders" at the top to open this view.

ADL

Prophet
That library management feature is a fucking godsend for someone like me that has eight drives and is constantly moving shit around between NAS and local storage. Every client needs something like it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That library management feature is a fucking godsend for someone like me that has eight drives and is constantly moving shit around between NAS and local storage. Every client needs something like it.

This also helps you determine your storage needs for general usage if you're looking into picking up a dedicated gaming SSD or similar. You can do it without this sort of thing, of course, but this makes it easier to glance at and see where you're at.

Sentinel

Arcane

stop linking this faggot
‘Half-Life 2’ has ultrawide support and increased FOV added by Valve

Valve prepares the classic game for the Steam Deck

ByJordan Middler
19th October 2021

half-life-2-remaster-2000x1270-1-696x442.jpg

Half-Life 2: Update. Credit: Valve, Filip Victor.
In what appears to be in anticipation for the Steam Deck, Half-Life 2 has received a number of updates, including ultrawide support.

As first spotted by YouTuber Tyler McVicker, the update includes fixes to bugs from almost a decade ago, an expanded FOV slider, and adjustments to the UI, in order for the game to support ultrawide monitors.

The update also includes the neccesary adjustments to prepare Half-Life 2 for the Steam Deck, Vavle’s upcoming handheld. The Steam Deck uses Vulkan, an API which allows games to work with the it properly.

Valve had previously announced that Portal 2 had also recieved support to work with Vulkan, pointing to the liklihood that Valve’s entire catalogue will make its way to the handheld.

schru

Arcane
I don't think there was anything wrong with the UI scaling in standard wide-screen resolutions, seeing as Valve had been presenting the game in 16:9 in trailers and such since before its release.

jimster

Educated
‘Half-Life 2’ has ultrawide support and increased FOV added by Valve

Valve prepares the classic game for the Steam Deck

ByJordan Middler
19th October 2021

half-life-2-remaster-2000x1270-1-696x442.jpg

Half-Life 2: Update. Credit: Valve, Filip Victor.
In what appears to be in anticipation for the Steam Deck, Half-Life 2 has received a number of updates, including ultrawide support.
What do ultrawide and FOV have to do with the Deck?

The update also includes the neccesary adjustments to prepare Half-Life 2 for the Steam Deck, Vavle’s upcoming handheld. The Steam Deck uses Vulkan, an API which allows games to work with the it properly.

Valve had previously announced that Portal 2 had also recieved support to work with Vulkan, pointing to the liklihood that Valve’s entire catalogue will make its way to the handheld.
DXVK native isn't a "necessary adjustment," and we already know all of the Valve games run on Linux...
What an awful article

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam is broken right now https://steamstat.us/

Numerous troubles with the Steam system are being reported at this time, the symptoms of which include:
  • Both the Steam store and the Steam Community are inaccessible, and returning HTTP 503 errors
  • Dota 2 players in a match were disconnected (its GC is otherwise functional)
  • CS:GO players in a match on official Valve servers were disconnected

edit: well it's back just as I posted this.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Steam is broken right now https://steamstat.us/

Numerous troubles with the Steam system are being reported at this time, the symptoms of which include:
  • Both the Steam store and the Steam Community are inaccessible, and returning HTTP 503 errors
  • Dota 2 players in a match were disconnected (its GC is otherwise functional)
  • CS:GO players in a match on official Valve servers were disconnected

edit: well it's back just as I posted this.

Works fine for me. -- lol you edited just as I hit reply. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's been two years since the reveal of Half-Life: Alyx, and Valve has been the expected amount of silence about the future of Gordon, Alyx, the G-Man, and Eli. What is next for Half-Life? Is there even anything in production?

0:00 - Intro
2:05 - Half-Life 3
3:06 - Half-Life: Codename Citadel
4:24 - TANGENT - Valve's Next HMD
6:08 - Half-Life Alyx 2/HLX
8:20 - Outro

https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-3/citadel-steam-deck

Half-Life 3 reportedly “not taking place” but a Steam Deck FPS/RTS may be coming

Despite some reports floating around the internet, Half-Life 3 is still likely to not be in active development. However, Valve is rumoured to have other Half-Life projects in various stages of development – including an RTS/FPS co-op title designed “to best showcase what the Steam Deck is capable of”.

These details come via Valve News Network creator Tyler McVicker, who posted a new video on his YouTube channel detailing the various projects Valve has rumoured to be in development – with the most interesting being the project codenamed Citadel, an FPS/RTS co-op game described as “a nostalgia fest” and like “Left 4 Dead, Alien Swarm, an RTS and Half-Life all having a baby”.

Citadel is also supposedly “being created with the Steam Deck in mind” due to how it’s meant to be controlled. We got in touch with Tyler McVicker, who confirmed to us that he received his information through datamines of regularly-updated Valve software – Steam, DOTA2, etc – and he has been researching Citadel in particular “since early 2018”.

Unlike many other projects, Citadel seems to be “still very much in development” despite most of Valve moving to ship the much-delayed Steam Deck – and McVicker estimates we will see “within the next year-and-a-half to two years”. The same can’t be said of Half-Life 3, which still has a few Valve developers working on it but doesn’t seem to be in active development. “Any kind of traditional mouse and keyboard FPS at Valve is not taking place,” states McVicker.

McVicker also touches on “HLX”, which seems to be the VR-based follow-up to Half-Life: Alyx. This has appeared in datamines throughout 2021 but is apparently just in “the mechanical testing phases”, although he also says that there is “growing internal disappointment with the VR platform on the PC” at Valve and “fewer and fewer people continue to work on that hardware base” there.

All of which is a shame, because Half-Life: Alyx was fantastic and definitely opened up possibilities for a sequel or Half-Life 3. Nevertheless, as McVicker himself reminded us, everything here is just rumour and “needs to be taken with a healthy grain of salt… I am not Valve, and Valve can decide what is fact or fiction about their own projects.”

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I could imagine after Alyx they could possible try some sort of coop/fps with both characters. To make that not horrible they could do a singleplayer thing where you switch to the character at any time or something. Idk just trying to think of something not just H2 except 3.

ADL

Prophet
Anything not VR would feel like a downgrade after Alyx. Not sure how you continue Gordon's story in VR but that's up to them to figure out. I really hope that bit about Valve's negative outlook on PCVR isn't true.

It sucks that Facebook is acquiring everyone worth a damn in the VR space but there's so much room for innovation and weird experimentation, they could spend the next twenty years buying anyone who makes something interesting. Yeah, it sucks that a whole bunch of studios that made interesting PCVR games are now stuck developing shit for Facebook's proprietary untethered ARM devices but I'm not sure if I'll ever miss them.

Even if I did, there'll be an emulator to account for Facebook's bullshit somewhere down the line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom