Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

HansDampf

Arcane
dBtM0Ya.png

This was recommended to me by ... the YouTube Algorithm™! I watched one map, and it reminded me of the excellent Duke Hard mod for Duke 3D where you enter a skyscraper and fight your way up to the roof, with each floor being one map. Except in this WAD you start on the roof of UAC HQ and are Going Down. The maps are short and always tightly designed around a different idea.

6LS99VN.jpg

drlJ9hu.jpg

WeJuT1w.jpg

Get out of my elevator!

otTKtlA.jpg

P1Ivkya.jpg

XO1RPaY.png

Still better story than Doom Eternal.

w5FnuGn.jpg

o16m2PJ.jpg

Map07 is already on the ground floor.

8bb4X73.jpg

Archviles in the basement.

DK5IJlE.jpg

huEjtNy.jpg

QEbBwua.jpg

:shredder:

2NwnYuR.jpg

JerVbWa.png

Doomguy's sidequest for the secret maps: Going back upstairs to talk to his mum.

shzhJ4l.jpg

rzrxt1X.jpg

:hmmm:

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Going Down is my favorite megawad. It has the right pacing, good maps, doesn't drag on, does unique things, hard, and has an interesting soundtrack. I have thought of co-opping it with my friends but have yet to get around to it. 5/5 wad.

The Decline

Arcane

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Sundew:

20211014195907_1.jpg

20211015214523_1.jpg

20211014182929_1.jpg

Best-looking game of 2021.

Puzzles are kinda Sierra-hard in places though. You can't get stuck, but the sequence of triggering events is sometimes arbitrary.

After meeting a contact in the restaurant, your character Anna has to go pee.
So you go to the toilets.
But one toilet has a red button, and the other a purple. You can't interact with the red button, it doesn't even give you a description when you click on it. Clicking the purple button of the other toilet tells you it's out of order.
So I assume I have to fix the out of order toilet. But no, none of the items I have with me do anything to it.

... what you have to do is collect necessary items for the post-pee puzzle elsewhere. Only when you have all those items does the currently occupied toilet become available.
There's no hint towards that, other than Anna suggesting she may have left useful items behind in the headquarters.
Nothing hints you towards the occupied toilet stall becoming free once you pick up those items, though.

Oh and one of those items is a flask containing a chemical. It's there from the start of the game, but when you interact with it, Anna only describes you its contents.
It only becomes pickupable after a certain incident in the lab.
Nothing tells you that you can now pick it up. You have to find that out through simple trial and error.

One of the first tasks is preparing a drop off point. You have to hand your rifle, coat, and tranquilizer darts filled with a certain mixture to an officer who will then deliver them to the dropoff.
You find the gun and coat inside your locker, but in order to fill the darts, you need to talk to the bio scientist in the lab.
But she's currently not in.
When does she get in?
Her arrival is triggered after you hand your gun and coat over to the officer.
Only then can you prepare the tranquilizer darts.
So if you think "I'll collect all three items and THEN hand them in all together", you're stuck.

I'm still enjoying it for the art and atmosphere, but damn. That puzzle design is arbitrary as fuck.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
v8bARZv.jpeg

Shame it has a bunch of graphical errors and that I can't get the widescreen resolutions to work consistently, because this is one of the best race games of its time.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard02.jpg

You thought this was a game about picking berries and building dams?
NO, it also happens to be post-apocalyptic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom