Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"the max hp of a cR 4 monster is around 76... For the thousand times there's no hp bloat with 5E, but at this point i know almost nothing will convince you except something like some china reeducation camp for years ."

76 hp at level/cr 4 is a fukkin' lot.

A barbarian with 20 con at level 4 with the generous hp bonus feat has a max of 72hp. LMAO

But, according to you, 76hp isn't 'a lot'.

FUKK OFF WITH YOUR ATTEMPTED GASLIGHTING.

"Good job devs, in a game with Demons the most disgusting living creature is"

Camilla. You don't need to censor it. Everyone knows it is true. FFS The eyeless demon can actually feel 'love' for another living creature. L0LZ

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If 76 hp is not a lot for a very low CR creature, what is?

The second strongest dark lord of the realms of dread

F8wniGK.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also I captured an Undead Dragon and put it in my Ziggurat. So far its only purpose is to stand there and be useless. Since I am close to end of the game I hope I get some use for it..

ArchAngel

Arcane
Update for my undead melee badass companion. This is with long duration buffs.
48 AC? seems kinda weak

Decent attack bonus / APR though
Straight fighter, this is best you can get. I can throw Haste and Blur/Greater Invisibility and Stoneskin on him. And so far only bosses do any serious damage to him. But he does more serious damage with that 15-20/x4 criticals (he destroyed Deskari). Also intimidates on Power attack and on killing enemies and has Shatter Defenses perk.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Some of the interactions are pretty autistic. Like the time you meet Yaker and just blurb out HURR DURR GODCLAW BAD. Aeon is pretty bad too with its "HURR U GUILTY CONFESS NAO" - "Uh, no." - "WELL OKAY THEN" approach.

Longes

Augur
Some of the interactions are pretty autistic. Like the time you meet Yaker and just blurb out HURR DURR GODCLAW BAD. Aeon is pretty bad too with its "HURR U GUILTY CONFESS NAO" - "Uh, no." - "WELL OKAY THEN" approach.
Aeon's problem (in-universe) is that you are trying to adopt the mindset of an Aeon, but don't quite have the power to back it up. Come act 5 and you do have the power. You look at people and see their crimes written next to their names, and everyone's a criminal.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
20211014030526-1.jpg

Nice random encounter, I guess my party didn't notice the two gigantic undead mammoths and the lich as tall as them and just walked by.

Why does owlcat think this is good encounter design? I had to reload 3 times just so I can get the squishies out of the way. Worst part is, it wasn't even a difficult fight after that. Maybe if they did something else than plop all your characters into melee range of massive monsters they could actually make the encounters more engaging.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nice random encounter, I guess my party didn't notice the two gigantic mammoths and the lich as tall as them and just walked by.

Why does owlcat think this is good encounter design?

Because you can either skip or ambush them instead if you have someone in your party with godly Stealth. Woljif hits 30+ Stealth in the beginning of chapter 3 easily.

Perception could help too, but I am not sure about this one.

And I have a very strong suspicion that they've ported hidden "Security" mechanics for claimed regions from Kingmaker - reduced chance of enemy encounters on your territory.

Last edited:

cw8

Cipher
The easiest optional fight? 3 Polar Rays and it's done for. First attempt I fought it I just brute forced with Hellfire Rays. Someone suggested Polar Rays and I went to give it a shot.

mythiccrystal.jpg

FreeKaner

Because you can either skip or ambush them instead if you have someone in your party with godly Stealth. Woljif hits 30+ Stealth in the beginning of chapter 3 easily.

Perception could help too, but I am not sure about this one.

And I have a very strong suspicion that they've ported hidden "Security" mechanics for claimed regions from Kingmaker - reduced chance of enemy encounters on your territory.

My party was level 9 here. Either way successful stealth check should allow you to start the encounter outside of combat, while failed stealth should begin you in combat but not in such a nonsensical position as this.

There are plenty of better encounters where you are in the middle of enemies, like being ambushed by minotaurs and some other enemies with mages and archers on cliffs that doesn't need to start your whole party ass first in melee engagement range.

Daidre

Arcane
Either way successful stealth check should allow you to start the encounter outside of combat, while failed stealth should begin you in combat but not in such a nonsensical position as this.

It is exactly how it works, pass a stealth check - and you'll get a window prompt to attack/evade. Choose attack - and you loaded into the random encounter map but far enough from the enemies to not be in combat. There could be very small maps where it is not the case, but I hadn't seen one yet.

I usually send crusade ahead of me to clean up demon's armies, since crossing them on the global map is the source of nastiest random encounters, and to claim the region. This drops the chance of random encounters to minimal. I've needed to carouse the map for a 4 days to even get one, when I've loaded my early chapter 3 save to check skill rolls.

Btw, it's looks more like a hag, not lich. We fight one too in early chapter 3.

And your second point about not being fucked up so harshly after a failed skill roll - there is lower difficulties for that one. If you've got to chapter 3 with lvl 9 party (!), chances for a lot of hurt feelings are high, in the nearest future.

Last edited:

Angriph

Novice
Question: I want to start a second run without crusade. I feel it is going to be an entirely new (better) game. Have you done that and what was your experience? Does the money you don't spend in resources balance with the money you don't earn from magic objects won in battles? I never hated my life in a videogame as much as when playing battles with a non-magician general.

Daidre

Arcane
Question: I want to start a second run without crusade. I feel it is going to be an entirely new (better) game. Have you done that and what was your experience? Does the money you don't spend in resources balance with the money you don't earn from magic objects won in battles? I never hated my life in a videogame as much as when playing battles with a non-magician general.
Personally, I'd just installed auto-win mod for a crusade battles. There are rumors about horrible, horrible things that happen to people with Crusade on auto, between different Mythic Paths, that I am not brave enough to try it any time soon.

FreeKaner

It is exactly how it works, pass a stealth check - and you'll get a window prompt to attack/evade. Choose attack - and you loaded into the random encounter map but far enough from the enemies to not be in combat. There could be very small maps where it is not the case, but I hadn't seen one yet.

I usually send crusade ahead of me to clean up demon's armies, since crossing them on the global map is the source of nastiest random encounters, and to claim the region. This drops the chance of random encounters to minimal. I've needed to carouse the map for a 4 days to even get one, when I've loaded my early chapter 3 save to check skill rolls.

And your second point about not being fucked up so harshly after a failed skill roll - there is lower difficulties for that one. If you've got to chapter 3 with lvl 9 party (!), chances for a lot of hurt feelings are high, in the nearest future.

It was a lich, not a hag and I killed that hag in the quest just before this. I cleared wintersun at level 9 too (and got to 11), though I play "only" on core difficulty. The mammoths are undead too.

Stop defending this. I am not against failed skill check putting me in a bad position, I am saying that it's completely nonsensical for party to start ass first in the middle of enemies in melee engagement range like this unless you failed some sort of skill check against stealthed/invisible enemies. What did this failed skill check entail, everyone in party walking with blindfolds? Even without regards to "realism", it is not good encounter design.

There are plenty of failed skill check ambushes in game that make sense and are fun encounters, like the aforementioned minotaur and cultists ambush where there are archers and mages on cliffs. It's difficult, it takes different approach than just tank and spank and it makes sense.

This one? Neither fun nor makes sense. Fanboys unable to even take one criticism about how the game starting you ass first next to two mammoths and trying to justify it with failed skill check are intolerable. No, this is not justified by a failed skill check, no it is not a good encounter design, and no hurt feelings are not why I am criticizing this.

As mentioned, the failed skill check justifies starting in combat and surrounded. Successful skill check justifies starting at corner of the map and out of combat. Failed skill check doesn't justify your entire party starting in melee engagement against two mammoths.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
As mentioned, the failed skill check justifies starting in combat and surrounded. Successful skill check justifies starting at corner of the map and out of combat. Failed skill check doesn't justify your entire party starting in melee engagement against two mammoths.

Well, anything demonic in this game can teleport by lore and any competent caster can Dimension Door all his friends with lvl 4 spell. I sometimes DD-Dog-bomb enemy casters from afar, after some scouting with Stealth/Invis, who says that enemy Lich can not Mammoth-bomb you too?)

Thonius

Arcane

It was a lich, not a hag and I killed that hag in the quest just before this. I cleared wintersun at level 9 too (and got to 11), though I play "only" on core difficulty. The mammoths are undead too.

Stop defending this. I am not against failed skill check putting me in a bad position, I am saying that it's completely nonsensical for party to start ass first in the middle of enemies in melee engagement range like this unless you failed some sort of skill check against stealthed/invisible enemies. What did this failed skill check entail, everyone in party walking with blindfolds? Even without regards to "realism", it is not good encounter design.

There are plenty of failed skill check ambushes in game that make sense and are fun encounters, like the aforementioned minotaur and cultists ambush where there are archers and mages on cliffs. It's difficult, it takes different approach than just tank and spank and it makes sense.

This one? Neither fun nor makes sense. Fanboys unable to even take one criticism about how the game starting you ass first next to two mammoths and trying to justify it with failed skill check are intolerable. No, this is not justified by a failed skill check, no it is not a good encounter design, and no hurt feelings are not why I am criticizing this.

Random encounters never were fun, news at 11. They are there just to drain resources from you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom