Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

jackofshadows

Magister

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, my bad. I've mixed up 12 with 24 to begin with which is the number for majority of locations in mm7 but for many locations that's not even correct.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
I've noticed there were a few physical releases of MMX Legacy. One is a limited edition but those aren't popping up for sale. DLC id still only ubi-steam (which is DC i guess now).

JwAdxa0.jpg

zclQWeE.jpg

Go figure. Kind of confused on the "one-time." One time activation and offline is good to go or .. one time and if you fail to activate it.. you're fucked?

This is a different sale which might be more complete but spanish? (According to sale description from Spain)
EzNcScB.jpg

You know... i hate online activation. A code would have been fine without hooking up.

Or do I fire up a pirate version since I already bought it but hate the computer the steam and ubi are on? Lotta extra shit just to play a game.

That boxed one is the VIP box we got from the devs for our help, i still have mine on the Might and Magic shelf.

Luzur

Good Sir
I think it's 12 on every one but the timer starts only when you visit it for the first time.
https://the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.Computing/might..magic.6.1/mm6.html

here you got reset timers for each map. It ranges 0.5-2yrs
Wasn't there a reset in MM3-5? I seem to recall if I failed to do something mobs came back.

if you failed to destroy their nests they would respawn every 5 days or so

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
First of all, thank you all for your input on what M&M play. Finally found the time to get started, happened to find the first six nicely bundled so I decided to give the third one a try, and to move to World of Xeen if I am not pleased.

So played a couple hours Isles of Terra. Cleared Fountain Head dungeon, leveled up my way to 7, and did a bit of venturing around. So far so good. Overall the game's slick, interface with dual mouse/keyboard control is surprisingly good, art is colorful and ranges from "yeah, ok" to "nicely done". A bit rough around some edges, and game's manual useless. It took me some time to get how to level up for example. And I can't find how to get items stats without having to go to the shop identifying them each fucking time. But otherwise the game plays nicely and lets you blob around at your pace. First encounters with those moose rats were challenging but the M&M power curve I heard about is real and smoothed fights a lot. I really feel my party strengthening, which is always pleasant.

I won't say that's the best game beginning ever but I'm having fun.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It is far more survivable than the first two games at the beginning unless you know the games. You'll probably love xeen.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Might & Magic III RPG Classics

RPG Classics MM Main ain't bad.

DJ oldgames has some nifty maps
MM1 A1 section
MM1 Entire world

Flying Omelette
My maps look better than these imho (but I used the mm grids so.. eh)

XEEN Let's Play (and other let's play archives)

Oldgames has nice links and some maps:
mm4map.png

This GameFAQs maps is nice but too much blue imho. You could change it to white i suppose.
A translated german site (i like it when original assets are used.)
The-World-of-Varn.png

MM1 VARN MAP
Blogging Games MM1 Map is ok.

website

MM2 - CRON MAP

Might_and_Magic_III_-_Isles_of_Terra_-_DOS_-_Map.png

MM3 - TERRA MAP

website

MM4 - CLOUDS OF XEEN MAP

website

MM5 - DARKSIDE OF XEEN MAP

Archived german site

A link to the only Avlee map this guy had.
Avlee.jpg

Avlee

MMVII-For-Blood-and-Honor-Old-Maps.jpg

MM7 - Smorgasbord

Japanese MM4 site
Some translation (switch between both to navigate) interesting maps.

RUSSIAN MM site
Translated sorta

You could spend a long time looking at different sites.

I never used the Wherearewe on MM3 (PCgamesN outlook)
where-are-we-might-and-magic.jpg

A few Celestial Heavens maps (not as clear as I'd like)
enroth.jpg

Enroth

antagarich_telp.jpg

thespoiler mm6
Spoiler mm lists. Can't say I care for spoiler these days with ads and shit.

Jp MM6 map directory
Er.. I guess pottsland.com

Mike's RPG Center for MMVII and stuff

Spoiler MM8 looks messed up on phone

This site ain't too bad translated for english
Ok done for now as this would lead me to Ultima, Wizardry, Bard's Tale and other old undead rabbit holes.

Last edited:

Gaznak

Learned

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Con't my adventures in the Isles of Terra.
This game is starting to grow on me. I like how it does not care about its own main plot. "For more information, go seek my next brother". Spent quite some time exploring around, fully coloring the map, reaping all the chance findings this brings. So much stuff everywhere. I've traveled here and there on the first continent, briefly stepping on Gargoyles' land and then cleaning out Wildabar. For a level 9 I think this is all manageable, I'm starting to have some good punch and my three magic users are getting efficient at blowing up enemies or buffing my team. Biggest issue is my ninja having trouble with some locks, which stopped me from clearing Slithercult castle.

I've turned off music and effects. The former was too repetitive, the latter was sometimes painful (Zombies sound in particular is awful). Game has a certain... naivety that is actually quite charming. There is no pressure, no grimdark, no blood and gore, it's like a good stroll in the country, inviting you to explore and take risks that are often rewarded. Printing the game's map was a great idea.

Inventory is still shit but I do like how reactive the game is (at least with a 8000 cycles Dosbox). Any business is dealt in few keystrokes. It is dawning on me that this shit got out in 1991. I'm no oldchool player, but I think I am starting to get why some of you are talking so much of RPG's decline. Curious to see if the game is going to keep its magic or if it is going to become repetitive with time. Right now I'll keep playing this shit.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That would be sweet and there are a lot of MM titles besides the main 10 and heroes.

I'd say do the same with Ultima & Wizardry as well.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Shit, I've just realize that my only lock-picking character, a ninja, had a luck of 10. That may be why she is so bad at her job.
Do you know if there's a way to increase luck in MM3 ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom