Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima 5 Redux - isometric graphics remake

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh it was changed a lot but I was still curious since it had the ultima tag. They sank that boat fast. Its odd considering the team who put it together worked pretty hard and the advertising and appearances at a few cons. Then BAM! Not enough $$$$ coming in... EA standard lockdown.

uber fans try anything possibly ultima related even this:

ULTIMUH
ultimuh_000.png

ultimuh_001.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://u5redux.wordpress.com/2021/03/23/knee-deep-in-combat-and-no-end-in-sight/

Knee Deep in Combat and No End In Sight!?

Life has been keeping me busy which has slowed some of my efforts, but I still try to devote as much of my spare time as I can to this project. My primary focus has been and continues to be on implementing the incredibly rich Ultima V combat system.

The process started out with a number of simple implementations including basic map loading, player character loading and enemy loading. It then got deeper and only made my respect for the original developers all the more grand as I realized how much had been packed into a few double density disks!

What was Implemented so far?
There are certain elements of this classic turn based combat model that have been implemented and I think MUST be present in the reworked system. I have implemented the following classic features so far:
  • Loading player characters, enemy and appropriate map based on overworld enemies
  • Keyboard based player character movement, enemy selection and player attacks
  • Selection of active player character if you wish to focus on a single player
  • Initiative based combat ensuring the most agile go first, and sometimes multiple times in a single round
  • Ability to attack enemies in overworld/underworld
  • Quick escape (ESC) when all enemies are dead
  • Highlighting active player or active enemy
image-1.png

Quality of Life Improvements
It is important that the game translates well to a more modern audience as well, so I have opted to add some improved quality of life settings as well that will still maintain the charm while speeding up the grind of some battles.

Highlighting of enemies that are in range
It is now immediately noted which enemies are in range once you enter your attack mode, making it easier to pick your next victim!

image-2.png

The Avatar is equipped a magic axe, which can reach anyone on the map, including his own party members!

image-3.png

The Avatar equipped with a melee only weapon can only attack enemies within one square, so only one wizard is highlighted.
The Initiative Bar
Who’s next? Should I cast my healing spell yet, or should I go in for the kill? The initiative bar is meant to help give the player a glimpse in to the 5 subsequent attackers to help with those strategies. There is likely going to be an option to disable this for the purists out there!

image-4.png

The initiative bar highlights the current attacker and the next 5 attackers as well!

Cycle Enemy/Quick Attack
Although it can be a topic that breeds many different opinions – it is my personal belief that the existing combat can take too long when you are grinding out your high levels. Think about it – you are level 7 party, all equipped with Magic Axes and are now facing yet another horde of slimes! Two new features have been added to speed up combat to make these encounters more bearable:
  1. <TAB> key will cycle through all available enemies one at a time. This will work in all targeting modes including when casting spells (once it’s implemented!)
  2. The ` (~, left of the 1 key) will automatically attack the previous enemy attacked by the player, or if none have been selected then it will automatically attack the closest enemy.
The combination of these two features can significantly speed up play without spoiling it for those who like to play the ole’ fashion way.

The Battle Report
Another quality of life improvement is the inclusion of a Battle Report. This will help you better understand the contribution of your team members in battle, as well as giving you a glimpse into how their experience was affected. This will show at the end of every battle regardless if you escaped.

image-6.png

Debug Menus for Quick Combat Testing
As in past work – a special debug menu was created to speed up testing.

The following Debug menu provides quick teleportation, time changes and previsions hacking on the fly.

image-5.png

Quick teleport access to anywhere in Britannia, time changes and provisions hacking on the fly!

The debug menu allows quick access to all combat maps and all player combinations.

image.png

Line Of Sight
I attempted, and believe I succeeded in duplicating the original flood fill technique when producing line of sight and hiding tiles the Avatar shouldn’t be able to see!

image-8.png

Blue Borders
As you may have noticed from the November release, the classic style blue borders now encapsulate all the UI elements, helping give them an old school feel and helping give each section it’s own purpose.

image-9.png

Other Additions
Although not all changes are as exciting as the combat (which is still in the works!), there have been some minor features implemented or completed since November as well:
  • Ships can travel fast with sails and get damaged when they hit land
  • eXit a frigate? How about a Skiff!
  • Take damage on a skiff in deep water, and prevent a frigate from entering shallow water
  • Able to use a magic carpet that is in your inventory
  • Added +/- to speed or slower keyboard input
  • Zoom in and out with mousewheel
  • Created all enemy voxel models with basic animations
  • Attacking people in stocks or bed will murder them!
  • Ctrl+K for Karma
  • Introduced outlining effect when characters are obstructed behind walls in combat
  • Carpets and horses now go in all four directions, unlike the original game which was only left to right
Some exciting for me techy changes:
  • Converted to the new Unity Input System, resulting in smoother and smarter input timing
  • Decoupled importing of classic save state from new save states
  • Considerable refactoring, removing all Find and GetComponent calls in place of strongly bound variables
Known Issues
  • Initiative calculations do not appear to be quiet correct yet
  • Dungeon maps seem to adhere to different rules when encountering baddies, they are not immediately clear
What’s Next?
The fact of the matter is, the combat maps and basic mechanics took quite a while. Moving from top down to an isometric view does and continues to have quite a few visibility challenges. The next update hopes to complete the combat aspect which will include:
  • Monster AI including movement, attack and special abilities (such as ghosts disappearing)
  • Monsters should spawn and seek you out in the overworlds
  • Player characters should be able to cast combat spells (IOW, I need to implement spells!)
  • Spell and attack animations
  • Hidden wall triggers
  • People should be scared of a murderer, and guards will want to arrest them!
  • When you die, you need to be resurrected and brought back home
I hope to get through the whole combat by the next update which should be around 3-4 months from now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I hosted a chat and walk through of Ultima V Redux thus far with my friends on Twitch! It was great chatting with everyone!

I messed up and forgot to stream the chat - but hopefully you get the gist ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://u5redux.wordpress.com/2022/01/10/pre-alpha-builds-for-windows-mac-and-linux/

Pre Alpha Builds for Windows, Mac and Linux

image.png

Pre Alpha Screenshot

The latest milestone began late March 2021! I typically like to release official updates more often, but… you know… 2021… So here we are finally with some playable pre-alpha demos. For anyone who tried the past demos, this one will be much friendlier when it comes to opening up old save games. You must have a version of Ultima V for DOS on your system and original save games (even if they are the default).

You can get them from the my Github release page.

If (when) you hit some bugs, feel free to submit them to the bug tracker at: Ultima V Redux Issue Tracking. I will review all bugs.

Getting Started Notes
Just a few important notes to help you enjoy the build:
  1. You can get a handy debug menu with F2. It helps teleport, set provisions and time of day
  2. A combat creator debug menu can be found with F3. Dungeons are… not quite right, so no warranty yet lol
  3. “Free Move” is on by default for my own convenience, but can be turned off in the F2 menu
  4. For loading, exiting etc hit Escape in the game for a quick menu
  5. The only spell you can cast currently is In Lor
Best of luck and hit me up on Twitter @thissoftware if you have any questions or want to chat about it.

Operating System Notes
  1. Windows
    1. Should run well
    2. No tweaks needed
  2. MacOS
    1. Seems to run slow on my old MacBook, but would love to hear your experiences
    2. Only included x64 version, will do Apple Silicon shortly
    3. You need to chmod +x Contents/MacOS/* to make it executable (will fix later)
  3. Linux
    1. Untested, but probably need to chmod +x UltimaVRedux-Linux-Jan-9-2022.x86_64 before launching
    2. Please let me know if it even runs!

Cambragol

Novice
Tried this out, and it is definitely getting better. Evokes Ultima V very well (obviously should). The pixel/voxel look gives it a fresh feel, but still recognizably Ultima V.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://u5redux.wordpress.com/2022/08/20/milestone-combat-and-polish-complete/

Milestone: Combat and Polish Complete​

Well it’s been a hot minute since I have updated the blog and released an update video. Saying life has been busy would be an understatement but I have spent considerable time in pockets focusing on this particular milestone.

This was an update of bug fixes, polishing and (re)creation of a number of internal systems that weren’t optimal. For those in the gamedev space, there is a rule – make a bunch of small games to completion – don’t chose an RPG as your first project. I naturally ignored that advice and here we are over three years later

When we last left off I had got some very early crude builds out for testing. They performed quite poorly and required major rework – but non the less it was something! I was blown away by the feedback of a few devoted fans who provided amazing insights and even helped develop a backlog of work items to better match the original. They also disproportionately ran Linux!?

Highlights​

Music and Sound Effects​

How do I show you music? Watch the video of course!

A situational music system and ambient noise system was put in. Using the famous Ultima V Midi pack, I converted it to MP3 and imported it. As location and circumstances change it is capable of fading music in and out.

The ambient noise generation is particularly cool! I want to add some ambience beyond the music so I implemented a few test cases. As you get closer or further from certain triggers the noises may be noisier or quieter.

• As you approach a lighthouse, you will hear seagulls
  • When you are in the wild, you hear the call of the outdoors
  • Approaching a stream? Hear the gurgle of a stream
  • Out for a ride on the mighty ocean, surely you will hear the wind!
Other and more traditional sound effects were introduced as well such as footsteps, opening doors etc.

Combat​

Combat was cleaned up dramatically. There were endless bugs in the dungeon generation and enemies didn’t generate in the overworld. Animations are largely cleaned up.

Overworld battles largely behave as expected now, with loot being dropped on occasion.

image-1.png
Chests, bloody pulp, item stacks and visible karma.
image-2.png
Updated sexier moongate, overworld projectiles and spawning monsters!
Overworld baddies can shoot at you with their fire or even a passing pirate ship with their cannon – but don’t worry you can shoot back with your own ships cannon!

image-4.png
Cool spell/potion/scroll effects – I think the Avatar may be in a bit of trouble this time around!
Spells (although largely un-implemented) can now be cast in combat or in the overworld.

User Interface Improvements​

I almost feel bad putting these here because my Twitter followers have seen them as they have been built – but for the uninitiated I have been focused earlier in the milestone on overhauling the UI. I love the old UI – it was quick and easy – IF you had the manual close by to help you understand reagents required for spells for example.

There has been a focus on common component look and feel to ensure the player is immediately familiar as they traverse the dialogs.

image-6.png
Party Inventory includes filters, detailed
image-7.png
Spell Casting allows you to select the plater, indicates if you CAN cast it or if your level is too low, or don’t have any mixed.
image-8.png
Mixing reagents is more straightforward level indicators, highlighted reagents and after you mix your first spell correctly, the UI will remember – saving you time!
image-9.png
Quick and easy to mix you favourite spells!
image-10.png
Readying your party for battle has much of the guess work removed helping you understand attack and defence statss.

Saving and Loading​

Love or hate the UI changes – something I imagine nearly all of us can agree on is that a single save file is the pits! I have added an unlimited (!?) save potential with details. It also finished the introduction of a separate save format. This allows me to extend it with additional data and saves me the hassle of understanding every single byte of the original. For the hackers out there – it’s JSON formatted, so easy to “tweak”

image-3.png
Multiple save slots with lots of save details and party status!

The More Detailed List​

The following highlights are included in this release (here for greater detail).

Sound​

• Added music system and 5 songs (midi->mp3) based on location
  • Added ambient sound effects system – for example, as you approach a lighthouse the seagulls get increasingly louder
  • Added standard sound effects such as walking on crunchy grass or click-clack on brick
  • The MIDI files are converted to MP3 and downloaded from http://exodus.voyd.net/downloads/

Improvements​

• Use/Inventory dialogs
  • Enemies can now drop chests (which you can search and open) and blood spatters as well. Included a new feature called “Item Stacks” which allows us to stack loot (or anything!) on top of each other.
  • Special items such as Crown, Sceptre, Amulet and Sandalwood box are now gettable in overworld, and disappear when you already have them in your inventory.
  • Monsters in the overworld now wander and chase you. If they catch you, they will initiate combat.
  • Projectile throwing overworld monsters such as sea serpents or pirate ships will fire at you if you get too close.
  • You can ‘f’ire the frigates cannons and kill overworld enemies.
  • Major effort in normalizing all buttons, sliders etc to use the common look and feel (using prefabs). Also added standard ‘X’ in top right of every dialog.
  • Small maps now have proper “outer edges” and even change depending on the map. For example Sin Vrall’s hut has desert tiles on the outside edges instead of grass.
  • Fixed major bugs that made the dungeon combat rooms… just plain wrong. There were some ‘off by one’ errors creating havic.
  • Multiple graphic and texture tweaks for a more common experience – such as lowering res on time of day semi-circles and new reagent graphics.
  • Cleaned up start up UI to make it easier to “get started” from scratch when booting the game. Options that “shouldn’t be clicked” are no longer clickable.
  • You can now extinguish a torch by clicking the torch icon in the bottom right.
  • Visible Karma tracking in bottom right (will eventually be optional).
  • New “escape” menu when hitting escape in the main game out of combat. This will allow you to save, load, quit and configure (kind of).
  • Unlimited save/load slots with easy access to save data on disk.
  • All potions are (should!?) be drinkable and have real effects.

New Systems​

• Created new “Tile” system that has each tile responsible for figuring out what it should be displaying and when – GREATLY simplified keeping track of what should be drawn and when
  • “Turn Result” queuing – this enables me to send an ordered list of events for processing. This allows for the classic feel of “one thing at a time” to be maintained. For example – it’s important that a projectile actually be seen hitting an enemy before the enemy dies!
  • Brand new animation system for tiles. Each tile now has an independent and semi random animation cycle. This creates a “liveness” feeling, but also erases a requirement on an obscure version of Voxel editing software I required to edit before.
  • Created a common UI framework to ensure all dialog boxes use same base code, ensuring continuity between them, but also saving me a ton of time developing and debugging.
  • Spell casting, potion drinking, scroll reading system during combat implemented. Only a few spells are implemented, but having the system in place will make the spell implementation much less difficult.
  • Numerous tweaks to make debugging faster including streamlines menus and saving previous values.
  • Converted from HDRP to URP rendering engines. There were massive performance issues related to using a very heavy engine (HDRP). Switching to Universal Render Pipeline resulted in huge improvements across to the board.

What’s Next​

The game is clearly quite a ways from completion still. Much of my time has been spent creating, and re-creating or re-factoring internal systems. It has been important to do so because the issues and bugs that come from the old systems waste too much time, but now with the lessons learned and most of the systems in tip top condition I will be focusing on the following:

• Implementation of endless “Specific Behaviours” (https://github.com/users/bradhannah/projects/6/views/17). There are events or mechanics that require special code for special circumstances. Big thanks to @tanabi for the amazing detail on the behaviours they recalled! Some examples:
    • Bard in Buccaneer’s Den plays a lute in the bar
    • When crossing a bridge, there is a chance that a troll will try to extort you!
    • If you do crappy stuff (steal, murder) in town, then the guards will try to arrest you
  • Complete implementation of combat “triggers” such as stepping on a tile or hitting a tile to open up secret entrances/exits.
  • Implement remaining music based on location

Jinn

Arcane
Some of those new UI elements make this worth a replay in and of themselves. Liking the overall look of the project in general though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I believed there was a an ultima 4 project at one time as well in this style, but alas... no.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I believed there was a an ultima 4 project at one time as well in this style, but alas... no.
Maybe you're thinking of the NWN remake. I'm not sure if that has been completely finished and/or if it's worth playing.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
It looks like Minecraft with less pixels. Regrettably the original looks better.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess he gas some ui tweaks and stuff. If you could flip the voxel view on/off it'd be fine. In fact a lot of the changes look good but that view.. meh.

A tile editor to replace the 2D tiles would be ultra awesome. On EUOtopia we've replaced a lot of 16x16 tiles and even have decent 32x32 tiles. I'd change out a fuck ton of old u5 tiles.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
See... BATMAN!

Dark%20Knight.png

Ok, an old example of screwing with a tileset.

(edited)_376263EC-2CB8-4492-95AC-2A306BDB1A98.png

There are others as well buf that's just an example. Mobs got a huge facelift.

Well This Is

Well This Is Fun Software
Developer
A for effort, but it looks awful like pixel vomit, unreadable.
Hey, developer here! :)

I actually understand what you mean. I know some people dig the style - some people find it too chunky.

All I can say is that I haven't reached the point where i am entirely happy with it either. For me it has been more about spending time on the systems, and less on the graphics. I had top covert 512 separate sprites to 3D voxels which meant I had to go wicked quick.

I have considered doubling the resolution to 32x32x32 (from 16x16x16) as well I have considered offering a 2D overlay mode which can actually still use the same voxels, but flattened.

Needless to say I have heard the complain - and I definitely get it, so stay tuned!

Well This Is

Well This Is Fun Software
Developer
See... BATMAN!

Dark%20Knight.png

Ok, an old example of screwing with a tileset.

(edited)_376263EC-2CB8-4492-95AC-2A306BDB1A98.png

There are others as well buf that's just an example. Mobs got a huge facelift.
I haven't seen that tileset. Is it complete? Any chance you have a link to it? Looks much higher res!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I don't know if that is the current euo tileset. I'd have to log my computer and put a zipfile up on mediashare. Seems photobucket fuzzed my images which is damn annoying.

In the dev forum you can look through the tileset pages and you might see some custom links or clean images:

https://forums.swut.net/viewforum.php?f=12

Skdursh

Savant
There are a few NWN attempts. One of them actually recently got an update and refinement of sorts. Pretty decent from what I checked out, but I haven't really played that much of it to definitely say if it's good, bad or just okay. https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/module/ultima-iv-rebirth-nwnee-only

Edit: There is also a patch made by a separate user for this that came out even more recently here --> https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/module/ultima-iv-rebirth-nwnee-only-unofficial-patch
I believe it includes all of the files though, so you don't need to download the other one if you use this.

There is also this

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Can't you play this version in standard u5 2D view? The enhancements might be cool to try in the 2D view.

Cambragol

Novice
I urged Well This Is Fun to keep a switch between 3D and 2D view, and he considered it, though he has a lot on his plate to just get the 3D working, so who are we to begrudge him if it never happens.

The 3D stuff he has been showing off looks good. Gives me a U5 vibe, and even adds a little sprinkling of 'newness' to every location I have seen. Looking forward to playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom