Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A philosophical discussion of speedrunning

Vatnik Wumao
I would like to say that any person that thinks twitter is a good medium to post anything, they deserve to be killed.

FIX'D
I can understand why some people decide to use it as to follow various public figures since many tend to post over there rather than on other social media platforms.

That being said, can someone explain to me what's the appeal of Instagram as it exists today? Seems to me to be a second rate FB, with less features and more streamlined stuff.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I would like to say that any person that thinks twitter is a good medium to post anything, they deserve to be killed.

FIX'D
I can understand why some people decide to use it as to follow various public figures since many tend to post over there rather than on other social media platforms.

That being said, can someone explain to me what's the appeal of Instagram as it exists today? Seems to me to be a second rate FB, with less features and more streamlined stuff.

I was told by people using it that its mainly for pictures and used by younger people, who don't want to use facebook

Vatnik Wumao
I was told by people using it that its mainly for pictures and used by younger people, who don't want to use facebook
Yeah, I've noticed the demographic trend myself. I just don't understand it. There were already plenty of people on FB who mostly posted stuff like selfies, travel photos and so on. Having a specialized platform for it might be neat, but to use it as an alternative to FB rather than just as a complementary platform just seems counterproductive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But yeah, the guy is overthinking it. Effete hipsters have always liked to congregate around various fussy knowledge-intensive niche hobbies. The Doom modding subsculture for example has also become something like this (with Brutal Doom as a major exception).

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
That being said, can someone explain to me what's the appeal of Instagram as it exists today?

Viewing pics of people you potentially want to bang
Plus since it's mainly used by teens and young adults, you don't have to worry about your family (or older people that know your family) seeing something that otherwise would've been pretty embarassing to say the least

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How do Discord trannies and pedophiles fit in?
It's a maelstrom of Millennial malaise.

> Be born in 1989.
> Both parents work.
> TV and video games are the babysitter.
> "Don't talk to strangers".
> Lack of social skills.
> Testosterone levels non-existent.
> No idea how to talk to girls, never get laid.
> Everyone goes to university.
> Marxist professors teach critical theory.
> "Maybe I'm the girl".
> Graduate university, still have no life skills.
> All the jobs are sitting at a computer doing meaningless bullshit.
> Nostalgia for Zelda and Mario creeps in.
> Twitch launches, offers meager income if you sit at home playing vidya all day.
> "Internet is fun, I can use girl name and anime avatar".
> Depression from no purpose in life + never seeing sunlight.
> "Maybe I'd feel better if I changed something big in my life."
> "Professor Goldberg taught me that men can become women. I'll do that."

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
can someone explain to me what's the appeal of Instagram as it exists today? Seems to me to be a second rate FB, with less features and more streamlined stuff.
As far as I know (don't use it myself) it has the best "recommended" feed. For instance, if you're seeking and liking mostly girls' asses, you will be seeing more and more of them automatically and endlessly. While being advertised to various stuff, which is the business perspective appeal.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never understood the appeal of speedruns. I much prefer challenges like 100% completion, or going through a game without taking any damage, or without using any consumables, etc etc. At least those let you spend some time with the game and enjoy all its content.

Speedruns are about skipping everything and getting to the finish line as quickly as possible. Meh. Not fun.

You can't seriously attempt a speedrun until you played the game to exhaustion so you don't waste time on unecessary actions, so it's not like the runner is depriving himself of enjoyment.

On topic: it's the other way around, radicals invaded the community and made it theirs.

Riskbreaker

There's this Frenchie Catholic cultural critic/tech critic/art critic/phenomenologist Paul Virilio who wrote fair bit about impact of speed on society. To simplify it to the extreme, speed as a value unto itself abolishes all values, flattens difference, devalues time and space. It's inimical to content, to quality. He'd write of the stuff like the lived experience of driving car across vast distances, how it destroys your bodily conception of space, ultimately turns the heterogenous spaces you travel thru into homogenous flatness. Now think about the phenomenon of "fly-over' states in teh Murrica, and the perception by the coastal urban denizens of those spaces and their inhabitants, for the more extreme version of it.
It ties to the rationalist drive for efficiency for efficiency's sake, it's own homogenizing effects and inherent imperialism, obviously. The means become the end, become the absolute.

Categories exist so there is no need to argue which run is the "true" fastest one.

https://www.speedrun.com/Zelda_II_The_Adventure_of_Link

Leaderboards
100% ALL KEYS, 1CC
ANY% DEATHLESS
100% DEATHLESS
ANY% NMG
100% NMG
ANY%
100%
NEW GAME+
NEW GAME+ NMG
ANY% NO DOOR FAIRYING
ANY% NO SCROLL LOCK

Of course, sometimes you don't get the choice because it depends on people being willing to try.

https://www.speedrun.com/planescape_torment

Planescape: Torment (Enhanced Edition)

Any% 1st lavaoclock 25m 04s 2 years ago
Any% 2nd KowalLazy 26m 54s 2 years ago
Any% 3rd knewster 35m 43s 3 years ago

Planescape: Torment

Any% Segmented 1st ExplodingCabbage 19m 58s 10 years ago
Any% Segmented 2nd Psyronin 59m 01s 13 years ago
Any% Segmented 1st ExplodingCabbage 19m 58s 10 years ago

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom