Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Salvo

Arcane
You stupid fucks old King's Field games also had a compass

fork

You are the stupid fuck. It had a compass which showed the four cardinal directions, and that was it. And the labyrinthine map design made it kinda necessary. Pretty sure Elden Ring will not only have a compass, but show objectives/pois on it, i.e. a real quest compass. And with today's graphics and good level design, a compass shouldn't be needed at all. But this is a GPS for the retards and an excuse for bad world design.

This game is gonna be shit. FromSoft has been on the popamole bandwagen for a while now. Lookout towers and quest compass are the red line I'm not willing to cross.
They can fuck themsleves.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Compass and map are both fine, as long as they don't retardedly give away things. But it seems that there are some markers indeed and that's shit.

Sentinel

Arcane
The gameplay leak is from the Xbox One version. I assume next-gen and PC is going to look significantly better.
Massive doubt.jpg
The trend is to have higher framerate and resolutions, and maybe bump up shadow resolution a bit, on new generation consoles. Textures, models, animations, effects go unchanged.

JDR13

Arcane
The gameplay leak is from the Xbox One version. I assume next-gen and PC is going to look significantly better.
Massive doubt.jpg
The trend is to have higher framerate and resolutions, and maybe bump up shadow resolution a bit, on new generation consoles. Textures, models, animations, effects go unchanged.

It depends on the game. CP 2077 for example is night and day on old-gen vs PC.

Salvo

Arcane

You are the stupid fuck. It had a compass which showed the four cardinal directions, and that was it. And the labyrinthine map design made it kinda necessary. Pretty sure Elden Ring will not only have a compass, but show objectives/pois on it, i.e. a real quest compass. And with today's graphics and good level design, a compass shouldn't be needed at all. But this is a GPS for the retards and an excuse for bad world design.

This game is gonna be shit. FromSoft has been on the popamole bandwagen for a while now. Lookout towers and quest compass are the red line I'm not willing to cross.
They can fuck themsleves.
No it won't you fucking contrarian sperg, it's been known a long time that a compass would have been in, you can put your own waypoints on the map and that's it

Keep hoping for a TORtanic

Salvo

Arcane
I don't think anyone here has anything against magnets or electromagnetism. The problem resides in the "quest" part of the "quest compass".
I'm also vehemently against a quest compass, no evidence of that being the case so far though! Sekiro was a decent game and I'm willing to give From credit for now

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think anyone here has anything against magnets or electromagnetism. The problem resides in the "quest" part of the "quest compass".
I'm also vehemently against a quest compass, no evidence of that being the case so far though! Sekiro was a decent game and I'm willing to give From credit for now
This unequivocally looks like a quest compass to me:

qc.png

that's clearly an highlighted point of interest right there.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

In FS' own words:

"When you start out, there’s basically no information available to you on the map,” shared FromSoftware’s Yasuhiro Kitao. “You will see your own player position, and you’ll also see an illustrated icon of a monument in the distance. This is meant as a sort of starting guide, something that you can see from the player’s perspective at the start. And if you head over there, you’re likely to encounter your first map fragment and start to add information to the map to get your bearings.

“Even if you don’t have the piece of the map which shows the information of the terrain around you, if you discover a dungeon or a point of interest or checkpoint, they will actually be marked on the map appropriately. This is so that you can sort of triangulate [your position] and get your bearings on where everything is in relation to the dungeon that you’ve discovered.”

Zeriel

Arcane

You can turn it off and play without, you know that.

Congrats on totally missing the point. "Just turn it off" is never an answer, because the quibble is over design. When a game is designed around quest compasses, turning the UI off doesn't change the design.

Sentinel

Arcane
Massive doubt.jpg

It depends on the game. CP 2077 for example is night and day on old-gen vs PC.
CP2077 new gen version hasn't even released.
PS: also CP2077 was very clearly a next-gen title from the very start. ER doesn't even look better than early ps4 games.

Sentinel

Arcane

In FS' own words:

"When you start out, there’s basically no information available to you on the map,” shared FromSoftware’s Yasuhiro Kitao. “You will see your own player position, and you’ll also see an illustrated icon of a monument in the distance. This is meant as a sort of starting guide, something that you can see from the player’s perspective at the start. And if you head over there, you’re likely to encounter your first map fragment and start to add information to the map to get your bearings.

“Even if you don’t have the piece of the map which shows the information of the terrain around you, if you discover a dungeon or a point of interest or checkpoint, they will actually be marked on the map appropriately. This is so that you can sort of triangulate [your position] and get your bearings on where everything is in relation to the dungeon that you’ve discovered.”
I don't understand it. How is that any different than say, Skyrim? You also see undiscovered PoI on the compass to guide you.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I can see it's different, I saw the trailer with a dude jumping in plate armor, I just didn't expect it to do a full 180 on some design principles of their former games.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

You can turn it off and play without, you know that.
Once I turn it off, will quests and locations make sense even without it? Because usually they don't. Devs are lazy, and once shit like quest markers is in the game they inevitably design the game around it.

Elden ring is bigger and different than souls, you have to understand this.
That isn't a valid excuse to adopt shitty uninspired mechanics that all open world games so far have used as crutches to avoid having to be designed in an intelligent way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom