Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Vampire: The Masquerade - goth cringe or Christian apologetic?

J1M

Arcane
VTM was basically a dating tool for goth nerds. The setting is great, but I don't think I'd ever want to experience it with other people.

Edit: For the record, this was an amazing post but a mod turned it into a thread.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
VTM was basically a dating tool for goth nerds.

This is so weird. I played a ton of OWoD back in the '90, probably played with at least 3 dozens different players. Can't remember a single Goth/Dark. My metalhead presence with leather jacket and long hairs was probably the edgiest around. It was a great setting which allowed for a lot of interesting stories to be told.

that accurately sums up many tabletop RPGs
thank God for cRPGs

... I'm starting to believe you never actually tried pnp. A real life table allows you to throw insults and beers over failed rolls and arguments. If you can't see the value in that you're not truly an American boy.

Delterius

Arcane
This is so weird. I played a ton of OWoD back in the '90, probably played with at least 3 dozens different players. Can't remember a single Goth/Dark. My metalhead presence with leather jacket and long hairs was probably the edgiest around. It was a great setting which allowed for a lot of interesting stories to be told.
Are you european per chance? As a tropicalian I find the whole 'goth/dark' to be unrelatable, but i do hear that compared to the mericanians, the european tribals are more punk than sad.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
imagination is for people who can't afford good computers

Tempted to build a new pc just for this. An a new one for my mother too.

Are you european per chance?

Yes, I am. Could be the case. I was mainly shitposting, there were probably depressed goths galore playing VtM back then. Although all the World of Darkness playables were pretty popular in my area. Werewolf was a big fav. Mages too (although you need a top notch Storyteller for that one, imho). All in all, I think the idea it's this goth setting mainly comes from those that only played the cRPG and from the Camarilla handbook being so popular, that had lots of gothic artistry inside.

Even just focusing on vamps, Sabbath and different paths of englightenment, different from Humanity, definitely steer the theme away from your typical Vampire novel toward the psychotic, the noir or the esoteric occult. All that is lost, nowadays. Memes devoured it and people think they know it all.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron

Ahem. And? Liek many powerful kindreds, who do you think is going to enforce rules on Esau? Iirc there's a lot of his descendants statted in regular books. The point is, 6th gen mainly gives you a decent blood pool and some higher caps on disciplines. Age. Age is what makes the difference among Vampires, most of the time.

I cannot really remember the names of relatively minor NPCs and I most of all used to play either homebrew or European: by Night settings but I'm pretty sure there are some 7th and even 8th gens that can give Therese/Jeanette/Tourette a pretty thorough beating.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
I mean, Ian Carfax, the current Tremere Justicar (who appeared in Winter's Teeth) is only 8th generation. Maris Streck, the former Malk justicar, is 8th generation.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
... I'm starting to believe you never actually tried pnp. A real life table allows you to throw insults and beers over failed rolls and arguments. If you can't see the value in that you're not truly an American boy.
I don't like other people

Fear not, usually gaming tables bring the worthy ones together.

Smerlus

Educated
It would be difficult at this point to pick a franchise that has churned out more shit than paradox's WOD. A handful of visual novels, a mediocre VR game, a throwaway werewolf game and the main draw in limbo.

They deserve a round of applause for fucking up this masterfully.

Harthwain

Magister
VTM was basically a dating tool for goth nerds.

This is so weird. I played a ton of OWoD back in the '90, probably played with at least 3 dozens different players. Can't remember a single Goth/Dark. My metalhead presence with leather jacket and long hairs was probably the edgiest around. It was a great setting which allowed for a lot of interesting stories to be told/
We had one girl in our group (the group was 3 guys, 2 girls) who liked to wear mostly black clothes. However wasn't wearing a makeup (or weird piercings) and was acting normally. I wouldn't call her a goth myself as I always thought that goths should give the Addams Family vibes.

Semiurge

Cipher
Funnily enough, the stance of the players / white wolf in there is to low key call Therese out for being a sex negative prude towards her sister.

In my headcanon she was cracked well before being sired, and there never were two sisters. An incest trauma made her personality split into the nun/whore counterparts. Jeannette is the denied part of her who enjoyed the incest, Therese is the rejection and disgust towards it all.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
Btw, one of the (unrelated) sources links to an old q&a forum post from bmitsoda.
https://web.archive.org/web/2006061...netvampire/topic.asp?fid=9642&tid=1773542&p=4
Some interesting tids and bits I didn't know.

Lancea wondered:
Without trying to get you in a law-suit and myself flamed - many, yours truly included, feel that the time constraints you (as in - the developer) were working in were a bit too tight. What were those last months (weeks?) of development really like?

The last few months, I, and most of the team, practically lived at the studio. I don’t remember sleeping a lot. I rarely left the office before 2 AM, and usually, I would go to lock up and notice that Brock Heinz was still there. It was a flurry of people in the office, constant email responses, fist shaking, growling, bitching behind closed doors – I think some threats of physical harm coming from all directions. It was very much a death march. There was a lot of frustration and anger. But when things start coming together, it was not rare to hear a “wow” or “that’s fucking cool”, and man, you need those moments. So many people were wiped after the last push. I was honestly catatonic for a short period after the whole ordeal. The best part of all when was people within the office played the game and I heard – “Our game’s pretty cool!” It was an amazing experience that I never want to go through again.

Is Damsel a shot at (what passes for) the US Left?

Damsel was one of my favorite characters to write for, mostly because of Courtenay Taylor’s performance (she acted out Damsel as she voiced her). Damsel is a shot at people who get behind movements and defend them rabidly, no matter how impractical or unsuccessful they seem to be. Wait, is that it? No, I just enjoyed writing a character that was fun to piss off.

I’ve talked about Jeanette and Therese with a lot of people, but never publicly, so here goes. First of all, Jeanette and Therese’s origin is loosely inspired by an ex-girlfriend, and true to the source, there is only one physical being. While the inspiration didn’t suffer from the same affliction, Therese has Multiple Personality Disorder (currently called Dissociative Identity Disorder, I believe), and I studied cases to make sure she was portrayed somewhat accurately. Several people have figured this out from the dialogue, but what it boils down to is, Therese was isolated and sexually abused from a very young age. To deal with this trauma and her seclusion, she developed a “sister”. Later, she would use the Jeanette personality to behave in a manner not fitting the obedient daughter side that was Therese. After the murder of her father, she was institutionalized. Therese was already suffering from the disorder when she was embraced, but with the Malk blood, the Jeanette personality is so fully developed and so intertwined with Therese’s psyche that neither can be considered the dominant personality, and the Jeanette side is no less real than Therese, and neither realizes that the other exists within the same body.
There is a lot of debate in the psychological world about the reality of this disorder and its portrayal in popular culture, but in a world full of vampires, it’s not open for debate.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In my headcanon she was cracked well before being sired. An incest trauma made her personality split into the nun/whore counterparts. Jeannette is the denied part of her who enjoyed the incest, Therese is the rejection and disgust towards it all.

That's the opposite of what happened though. It was Therese who consented to her father's advances and she blew her top (and her father's) when he fucked Jeanette too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom