Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

I don't think I will ever enjoy it even with tons of dlc. The way war and conquest works is just too easy, the way naval transport works makes going on crusade, crossing from Iberia to north Africa, raiding and conquering in the north sea, all trivial.

If they made painting the map much harder, then the game could be great, but I suspect they never will
And you just know that DLCs aren't going to make the game harder. They did that with one of the CK2 DLCs and it tanked

They did that with one of the CK2 DLCs and it tanked

Now I'm curious. Which was it?

Conclave made it slightly more complex to manage your court since you couldn't just braindead-edly appoint the highest stat person to every position regardless of anything else (aside from spymaster needing to be loyal) or else they'd vote against you on a bunch of actions and your powerful vassals would be inclined to be disloyal. You could also remove these restrictions over time which made you more powerful. But it made the game substantially harder if you didn't pay a few minutes of attention to learn the mechanics so it got nuked in ratings on release.

thesecret1

Arcane
They did that with one of the CK2 DLCs and it tanked

Now I'm curious. Which was it?

Conclave made it slightly more complex to manage your court since you couldn't just braindead-edly appoint the highest stat person to every position regardless of anything else (aside from spymaster needing to be loyal) or else they'd vote against you on a bunch of actions. You could also remove these restrictions over time which made you more powerful. But it made the game substantially harder if you didn't pay a few minutes of attention to learn the mechanics so it got nuked in ratings on release.
Don't forget they decided to be woke so they added a women rights set of laws so that you can have gender equality in the 12th century

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
AI did this by itself:
Clipboard03.jpg

Not bad old chap.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Why do people still play this shit?
It's more like: "Why do people already play this shit?"
Paradox games need a few years (and DLC) to be worth your time. And then they will become shit again after too many DLC.
You have to play them during the sweet spot in the middle.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Not bad old chap.
I was told that he keeps doing that for everyone else. In none of my games did Haesteinn achieve anything remarkable.
You are either extremely lucky or unlucky then. Everytime I played smth smol in a Karling empire, as soon as I had aquired some meager Prosperland to call my own, Chad Haerstein waltzed in for a spontaneous empire conquest with his ridiculous starting army. Since he would vaporize every army he comes across, the AI just evades him, turnimg it into a decade long wait while he slowly occupies county after county. Until I get reduced to one shitty county under his rule.
Unless I beeline for his capital and win the war by snatching his brat/bedbunny. :hahano:
If you play him and haven't casually conquered all of yurop within his lifespan, and I have seen him getting 120yo, you are doing it wronk.

He is the best example what to expect from their DLCs: OP easymode bullshit. :argh:

Norfleet

Also, no naval mechanics also feeds into how sieges suck.
To be fair, the amount of naval action in the Middle Ages was pretty low outside of the Mediterranean. With very poor navigational and communications infrastructure, even FINDING your opponent on the open sea was pretty damn hard. Without naval artillery, there wasn't much of an option for how to deal with your enemy even if you found him beyond waiting for him to try to land and attacking him as he does it. Neither cogs nor longboats were built for ramming. What few naval engagements were fought were basically just people roping their boats together into a big floating barge and then fighting a land battle on the decks at sea, and they only ever managed this by waiting in straits where the enemy had no choice but to be there. There was no real possibility of interception on the open sea: Feudal telecomms was just not organized enough to convey accurate locations of enemy fleets.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
No mods like HIP or CK2+ yet?

No, and the HIP team has said that due to the increased modding limitations and poor direction of CK3 development, they don’t plan to bring it to CK3.

EDIT: LizardWizard rates this 'Fake News', feel free to check the official subforum and especially the HIP discord server for yourself. I won't spend my time digging up reference material, but this has been the position since release and has only grown firmer with time.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Except for Barbary Pirates wrecking havok on the trade routes.
In the Mediterranean primarily, and they mostly accomplished this through pillaging coastal settlements rather than intercepting warfleets at sea. Jumping a merchantman coming into port is a bit different from attacking a warship at sea.

This inability to do so effectively is WHY they were such a threat for so long, because there was no effective way of stopping them at sea.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

No, and the HIP team has said that due to the increased modding limitations and poor direction of CK3 development, they don’t plan to bring it to CK3.

The sooner everyone forgets about CK3 and goes back to playing the incredibly superior CK2, the better.

What are the most
rating_prestigious.png
mods?

Uninstall that comes with the base game.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

The sooner everyone forgets about CK3 and goes back to playing the incredibly superior CK2, the better.

What are the most
rating_prestigious.png
mods?

I don't know much about CK2 mod area, apparently HIP and CK2+ as mentioned above. I have my own little mod for balances the game the way I like but I fear it might be too personal. I intend to post it on CK2 thread if I ever finish ironing out major imbalances and oddities that remain.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So in doing research for my inevitable exploration of the coomer mods I have come to notice that everyone in CK3 is ugly as sin. Y tho?

Because they've been infested with SJWs that hate your guts. If you complain you get banned off of their official forums and Steam community pages. Only woke individuals are welcome in their game. I'm speaking from personal experience.

thesecret1

Arcane

What are the most
rating_prestigious.png
mods?
For CK2? Winter King, Warhammer Geheimnisnacht, After the End, those AGOT and TES mods... there's a bunch of good mods

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom