Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

ferratilis

Magister
Ok, now I'm pretty sure that what I'm experiencing is a bug, I just don't know what's causing it. I tried forcing dx12 through launch command and there was almost no grain, but after relaunching the game it was back. On your screenshots it looks way better than what I'm seeing.

Guess I'll have to do some research.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Perhaps delete renderer.ini from the game's folder to force recreating the renderer settings? Ie, delete renderer.ini, go to options to set high settings, exit the game and launch it again (the last one to avoid any lingering settings from whatever were the defaults).

Raycevick has uploaded his Control review
Anyone familiar to his channel knows he's a big Remedy fan, so I was quite curious to hear his opinion
And right off the bat he claims that this game is "the ultimate Remedy experience"
But that, despite being a game people should play, it is ultimately boring...
Well... I don't know what to think of this

I recommend that you don't spend any level ups on health-bar upgrades throughout the game if you're worried about it being boring. That's how I completed the game. The difficultly would have been trivial otherwise.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Well, the game doesn't look gorgeous to me, and I trust my own eyes more than anyone else. And I'm not nitpicky (I mostly play cRPGs and 20 year old games so graphics are not that important), but this is the kind of game you play for its graphics, and it doesn't deliver in my case.

Anyway, I wasn't complaining, it's more of a warning to others, to know what to expect from RTX centric games on non-RTX hardware. If you want to defend laziness of developers, that's your problem.

If you think this looks gorgeous, I really don't know what to say.
Control-6-5-2021-11-03-15-AM.png

Is the claim that this is "everything on ultra except ray-tracing"? I'm having a very hard time believing that.

Edit: sorry I see you reckon it's a bug - I agree it must be. I replied without realising there was another page in the thread!

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
Perhaps delete renderer.ini from the game's folder to force recreating the renderer settings? Ie, delete renderer.ini, go to options to set high settings, exit the game and launch it again (the last one to avoid any lingering settings from whatever were the defaults).
I tried it, it didn't work. But I found the solution. Basically, all this grain appears on first load of the game. Just quitting to main menu and loading again removes all the weird artifacts and the game looks completely normal. I also tried replacing my GPU for my old GTX 970, it had the same problem. So it's not hardware or AMD driver related (which I suspected at first). Computers are weird. But at least now that everything looks normal, I can enjoy the game. Thanks anyway.

same spot as screenshot above:
Control-6-8-2021-10-01-36-AM.png

Perkel

Arcane
Well since it is free i started playing it. Surprisingly pretty fun so far. I can't stand her fucking face though. IT looks like a fucking dude in a wig. Everytime it gets into camera and that jaw starts to move i laugh how fucking unnatural it looks.

I mean how they fucking take voice actor like this with promo art like this:

jesse-faden-control-voice-actors.jpg

into this:

msb5koe.jpg

kangaxx

Arbiter
I found the protagonist annoying on many levels as well (sounds like Meg from Family Guy, doesn't really question why the fuck any of this is actually happening), but the game is all about the environment and combat mechanics. She's "ignorable" for the most part IMO.

Cadmus

Arcane
I liked all the maxesis paynesis, even the third one, but this game even LOOKED boring, all grey offices and beton everywhere.
Anyway I bought this a few months ago on some sale. I can't get myself to play it, its sooo goddamn boring.

Dialogues? Retarded. Lot's of papers and notes to pick up and read but I don't know when am I supposed to be reading them..? It's not a turn based CRPG, it feels strange to stand in a corner and read notes I picked up 1 hour ago.
The protagonist? Looks like David Duchovny in Twin Peaks.
I think I'm supposed to be wondering about all the stuff that's happening but the protagonists doesn't seem to be curious so Im not either.
The shooting - it's strange, I only got the gun and the throwing skill but this gimmick imo has gotten old since Jedi Academy. The pistol feels weak and the sounds are not impactful. The movement of the character is good, it feels natural.
Other than that I'm exploring some office spaces all the time and I keep getting lost because everything looks the same. Maybe I'm old for this type of game, there isn't a single thing that would actually excite me. It doesn't run too well on my PC, either so that doesn't help.
I think I played 2 or 3 hours maybe..Maybe not even that. When I think of the game I can't conjure up any reason to start it up.
So that's my review. This is all I have to say to you. Goodbye babeee, I don't care what you do.

Beowulf

Arcane
Well, I uninstalled it somewhere near the end.
The combat got too repetitive, while going through the same areas lost its charm.

But they nailed the presentation, I'll give them that.
The beginning was the highest point of the game, when the player could still be amazed by how the events presented themselves.

Game was alrightish, but couldn't bother to finish. Maybe if you like SCP retardery plot could be interesting, but all the lore is [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED]. Better just visit prosperland.

Ash

Arcane
Shitty game and the bitches arguing about GFX.

:hmmm:

Pretty much standard anywhere. There is only a very small demographic of gamers. The rest are pansies that jump at Lady Dimitrescu's (or likewise virgin bait) ass, boast about being the first to play Crysis in 1080p, play retard-tier video games for the laughably pathetic "story" or "atmosphere", and demand that games be realistic just because that's all their brain can process and they're too thick to see that is a terrible goal in many cases when there is realism outside and it is oftentimes fucking boring.

thesecret1

Arcane
I tried it, but uninstalled after a couple hours. I really couldn't stand the MC. Not only was she an ugly, manfaced bitch, she was also insufferable whenever she opened her mouth, and didn't really act believably whatsoever.

Btan0

Literate
I tried it, but uninstalled after a couple hours. I really couldn't stand the MC. Not only was she an ugly, manfaced bitch, she was also insufferable whenever she opened her mouth, and didn't really act believably whatsoever.
Let me guess: she's a "badass" potty mouth with a dry, sarcastic wit? Or does she point out the obvious, as if players like you and I are too stupid to process what's happening? A loudmouth, talkative main character is the sole reason as to why I have skipped the past generation or two of modern gaming. It doesn't help that the dialogue is, more often than not, wrought with irony and hack 80's style comedy routines.

kangaxx

Arbiter
She's not so much a loudmouth as doesn't seem to give a fuck about any of the horror that has befallen her. It's quite jarring considering how far removed from reality it all is.

Visperas

Augur
I just got this for free in the Epic store and I wonder if the two DLCs, AWE and The Foundation are worth getting. Also, how integrated are the two DLCs? Can I start playing and if I love it, get the two DLCs or should I get them before I start a new game to really enjoy them?

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I just got this for free in the Epic store and I wonder if the two DLCs, AWE and The Foundation are worth getting. Also, how integrated are the two DLCs? Can I start playing and if I love it, get the two DLCs or should I get them before I start a new game to really enjoy them?

I really liked the game but I wouldn't call the DLCs essential unless you're starved for more Control after beating it. Foundation is only playable once you beat the main game's story, but AWE can be started about halfway through. They're both pretty stand-alone experiences in terms of story. AWE is a tie-in to Alan Wake, so if you're a fan of that game it's probably a no-brainer. Foundation was pretty nice visually, it's set in a cave system that's distinct from the Oldest House.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Foundation can only be played after you already finished the main game. AWE can be played at any time, but it's a totally self-contained area, so you can buy it whenever you want without missing on anything.

The gameplay can get pretty repetitive, so I think you should eventually buy them only if you finish the game and find yourself wanting more of the same.

Game was alrightish, but couldn't bother to finish. Maybe if you like SCP retardery plot could be interesting, but all the lore is [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED]. Better just visit prosperland.
This just tells me you barely played any of the game. The things that are redacted in documents are revealed during the story. You should have a fairly complete picture of what's going on ~2/3 of the way through.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Same here. I very rarely give up this type of shooter games but there was just no motivation to go on. For example I had no problem playing Prey (the Beth one) until the end.

Ravielsk

Magister
Same here. I very rarely give up this type of shooter games but there was just no motivation to go on. For example I had no problem playing Prey (the Beth one) until the end.

I finished the game but I had to really force myself and when it came to the DLC I only slogged through the Alan Wake one because I am a fan but honestly it was not worth it not even in the slightest. The problem is that the game has an incredibly interesting premise but utilizes it for the most generic drab story it ever could. It literary features every single cliche you could think of for this kind of narrative but somehow it expects you to be floored by it. The "hiss" is literary just demons but with less style and nothing else. Jess is just a cardboard cut-out that spends the whole game going "I am not the director" only to then instantly jump to "Oh, yeah I am the director now" with absolutely nothing in between. There is no character development or revelations or twists that are not explicitly spelled out in the first hour of the game. It genuinely feels like shitty anime filler where stuff needs to happen but none of the stuff can have any long term relevance so its all intentionally kept flat and basic so it can be neatly showed to the side when the main plot catches up.

Even Jesse's backstory about the projector and her town getting destroyed by it sounds like a way more interesting plot than what is in the main game or the DLCs. That one moment where she describes her friend turning himself willingly into a dog creature is several times more interesting than anything the main plot has to offer. Its just all so much of... nothing. Its just a nothing, like a story nobody writing it wanted to tell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom