Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Great now when I'm shooting fireballs I'm gonna picture a fat guy in a wow sweater swinging a coat hanger around in a desert.

Coincidentally this description is also the reason why LARPing doesn't work.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

sounds like this scrawny douche sucks blizzcock saying they're excused for the ugliness. Its lack of "glamour lighting."

BULLSHIT!

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Like I said... this dude sucks blizzcock so he can stay monetized and in their good graces.

Also... stay away from the Loli's..
ePcy0nI.jpg

We know that's you.

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

sounds like this scrawny douche sucks blizzcock saying they're excused for the ugliness. Its lack of "glamour lighting."

BULLSHIT!

Fanboys and soyboys who only care about consuming product and dont care about degeneracy being pushed upon them are desperate to have everyone else see no degeneracy. For if everyone is blind then nobody can see how pathetic consumers they are.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Being hideous is the new old normal.

It's a dangerous game they play, ugly things are never going to be as popular as attractive things.

But I can almost excuse the Amazon being meh, and while I can't quite understand why the Paladin is now a nigger, it's the American religion so whatever.

No, what I can't understand is why the Assassin is now slitty eyed. It's as if fantasy does not exist any more and we must reflect the tropes of fantasy with an unholy amalgamation of reality and fantasy tropes.

So if it looks somewhat like a martial arts/ninja it must be slitty eyed.

Which is batshit insane. And ironically, casually racist.

Last edited:

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Being hideous is the new old normal.

It's a dangerous game they play, ugly things are never going to be as popular as attractive things.

But I can almost excuse the Amazon being meh, and while I can't quite understand why the Paladin is now a nigger, it's the American religion so whatever.

No, what I can't understand is why the Assassin is now slitty eyed. It's as if fantasy does not exist any more and we must reflect the tropes of fantasy with an unholy amalgamation of reality and fantasy tropes.

So if it looks somewhat like a martial arts/ninja it must be slitty eyed.

Which is batshit insane. And ironically, casually racist.
What's even weirder is that her class specific weapons are mostly Indian weapons like katars and what I assume are bagh nakh. So if anything, Blizzard are racists as shit and they should've made her Indian.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Writer is Frankenstein?

He wishes!

Anyway, I just saw this:

I failed to notice the Barbarian was female. I guess D4 is going full TG woke mode. D2R was just the beginning?

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

People have given tons of unwarranted praise to Brevik when it was most of the people around him that made the original Diablo 1/2 games actually good. Every time Brevik has the opportunity to do something he has flatlined from Hellgate London to Marvel Heroes to some pixelart shovelware shit that reeks of uninspired. He's not some god genius game developer, he's a dude that had two big hits from over 20 years ago and hasn't produced anything of note since.

As you can read in the example above they would have turned D3 into some weird chimera and while it likely would have been better than the D3 we did get, it's not like reading about having a ton of people running around being dipshits in a continuous world would ignite confidence.

Diablo was sadly always doomed from the looks of it. Rather than the contained and isolated gothic-horror of D1 they were ready to go full throttle into placing a bunch of retards in an amusement park.

Zeriel

Arcane
People have given tons of unwarranted praise to Brevik when it was most of the people around him that made the original Diablo 1/2 games actually good. Every time Brevik has the opportunity to do something he has flatlined from Hellgate London to Marvel Heroes to some pixelart shovelware shit that reeks of uninspired. He's not some god genius game developer, he's a dude that had two big hits from over 20 years ago and hasn't produced anything of note since.

As you can read in the example above they would have turned D3 into some weird chimera and while it likely would have been better than the D3 we did get, it's not like reading about having a ton of people running around being dipshits in a continuous world would ignite confidence.

Diablo was sadly always doomed from the looks of it. Rather than the contained and isolated gothic-horror of D1 they were ready to go full throttle into placing a bunch of retards in an amusement park.

I'd say he's pretty decent as a systems designer, maybe as a programmer too. But it's often the aesthetics and ambience that make people fall in love with games. Certainly none of the games he was involved with after D1 have the same artistic sensibility, but you can see the design connections.

Zeriel

Arcane

BULLSHIT!

It's always this way. None of the artists are lacking technical talent. It is the cultural direction that makes it shit. If they were told to make something sexy they'd accomplish it ably, they're just told the opposite.

Mazisky

Magister
Writer is Frankenstein?

He wishes!

Anyway, I just saw this:

I failed to notice the Barbarian was female. I guess D4 is going full TG woke mode. D2R was just the beginning?

It is not entirely woke because the barbarian female is evil. To be fully woke you need to make her the only good aligned character.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'd say he's pretty decent as a systems designer, maybe as a programmer too. But it's often the aesthetics and ambience that make people fall in love with games. Certainly none of the games he was involved with after D1 have the same artistic sensibility, but you can see the design connections.

I think he was good at putting the ideas other people had to execution but he didn't have many good ones of his own which is why so many of his other games reek and why his most notable achievement to this day is, "lead director of Diablo II." Children have been born and have become adults and David fucking Brevik is still just that guy who worked on D2.

lmao

And you know what? When he let that fatboy Jay Wilson call him a loser and shittalk D2 in the build-up to D3's release, that should have lit a fire in Brevy-boy's stomach. He should have made a real follow-up and delivered the experience D3 failed to. It was the greatest story never written because he instead opted to work on some garbage capeshit game and made a mediocre Terraria clone.

Goddamn KIWIS had to come try and play firefighter and only made the inferno worse. Now that whole little subgenre of Diabloclones is ruled by severely retarded number crunchers and speedrun goofs.

Zeriel

Arcane

I think he was good at putting the ideas other people had to execution but he didn't have many good ones of his own which is why so many of his other games reek and why his most notable achievement to this day is, "lead director of Diablo II." Children have been born and have become adults and David fucking Brevik is still just that guy who worked on D2.

lmao

He was one of the principal people who invented Diablo 1, you sound like you have some weird caricature of him in your head. AFAIR he was the main programmer who coded a lot of the game in the Condor days.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/diablo/credits

Of course programmers who had weird ideas or just didn't amount to much once the guys around them were gone is a thing. Look at Julien Lefay of Daggerfall fame for a great example of that. He was brilliant at the time in his core competency, but later attempts to do a round 2 looked really bad.

I don't think there's any reason to portray him as just a suit or a credit-taker though. He was instrumental in the design and implementation of Diablo 1, and hence Diablo as a series and its whole sub-genre.

Small sidenote, here's a random quote of a guy I found from Googling that reiterates the point:

I was a programmer on Diablo 2 and used the Diablo 1 source code as a starting point for some features - all of the source files I looked at had David Brevik as the author, it was very straightforward C that one person could keep in their head.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
you sound like you have some weird caricature of him in your head.

Well, to be honest, Generic-Giant-Spider is entitled to have this burning hatred against Brevik.
Brevik, he killed his family and burned his barn to the ground, afterall...

Children have been born and have become adults and David fucking Brevik is still just that guy who worked on D2.

I really don't know why some people feel this need that other people (famous or not) must constantly prove themselves to them.

I think is some kind of projection where their personal failures demand some kind psychological negation through other peoples actions and achievements. :)

Generic-Giant-Spider

I really don't know why some people feel this need that other people (famous or not) must constantly prove themselves to them.

If you're a game developer and your games suck then people will tell you your games suck.

Brevik was involved in making two good games back when most people here were learning how to ride their bikes. How do you go from making Diablo 1 with a passionate skeleton crew to making whatever the fuck you call this:

He should have just retired from the industry in 2001 instead of becoming an over-the-hill hack that is clinging desperately to his two hit wonders that were only good because of everybody around Brevik at the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom