Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Codex Year of the Donut
Hopefully we have it in place with 4.0 this time next year

:smug: lol.

In other news:

Former UK Star Citizen player outlines the steps he took to get a refund from CIG

If you’re dissatisfied with how Star Citizen is being managed to the point that you want a refund and you happen to live in the UK, then this Reddit post could be useful to you, as it outlines the 30 day-long process one former fan followed to get all of his money back from CIG from 2014 to 2017.

As one might expect from a 30-day process, it involves jumping through a series of legal hoops like sending a letter of intent, filing in small claims court, and elevating the matter to a County Court Judgment if CIG doesn’t respond to the initial small claims court case. The primary way to make this work is to ask for a refund due to CIG’s inability to deliver “something significant […] according to their publicly stated release dates, [a product] delivered to a poor quality, or both,” such as a working Persistent Universe or a release of Squadron 42, which is covered in the UK’s Consumer Rights Act 2015, Chapter 3 Digital Content, Section 34-40.

As proof of this process working, the Redditor included a picture of a judgment in default, awarding him an undisclosed sum of money. Whether this works every time or not is hard to say, of course, but there does appear to be a process to make this all happen.

@ https://massivelyop.com/2021/10/13/...s-the-steps-he-took-to-get-a-refund-from-cig/
:nocountryforshitposters:
This is their "proof"?
8ivn6g5a87t71.jpg

You could make something like this in a few minutes.
There's literally a template for it online: https://assets.publishing.service.g...loads/attachment_data/file/688611/n30-eng.pdf

NMZYIyN.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Usually I'm all for consumer protections being expanded but this is a definite overreach regardless of how you feel about Star Citizen. The ability to refund after seven years for the reasons given is retarded. This effectively kills early access and crowdfunding in the UK which has been responsible for a lot of really cool projects.

They have delivered the persistent universe which has been getting major updates every three months for years. The scope expanded from the Kickstarter pitch due to raising hundreds of millions of dollars versus the $2 million they originally requested. Backers voted with their wallets and kept funding until it reached the behemoth status it is today. Stretch goals stopped at the $65 million mark which was after this dude bought his shit. Anyone not happy with the trajectory of the product had until mid-2017 until they started cracking down on refunds, a year and a half after the persistent universe module released to all backers.

Those purchases were made long after the scope had been altered so I have zero sympathy. Unfortunately these sc_refund douchebags won't have the balls to continue posting off their accounts when they inevitably buy in again else I would have some entertainment to look forward to. I just hope he loses a bunch of money and wasted a whole lot of time in the process :lol:
They just want big daddy government to save them from their own stupidity.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
3.15 dropped on PTU. My performance improved with partial implementation of the Gen12 renderer and I really like the medical and inventory management systems.

Looks a bit convoluted should've just gone with Arma 2's approach instead of trying to emulate Arma 3's Arsenal system.
I also really dislike how outfit icons are massive in the UI because its a lot of wasted space. If the game supports sorting then there's no reason to have icons greater than 2 tiles in size (see Arma's Left Side menu). This was what Arma does so its odd that SC isn't copying that.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The detractors of Star Citizen repeatedly said that Chris Roberts will never be able to implement his vision because the limitation of technology.

Little did they knew that when CR will finish Star Citizen in 10 -15 years from now, the nowadays technology will look like how we see a 286 PC

Moore's Law is Chris Robert's best friend :)

Myobi

Liturgist
This is their "proof"?

Why would he even need to prove anything?

… and what sort of proof do you expect exactly? You think the mofo will be posting personal information to prove something he doesn’t even have to?

Usually I'm all for consumer protections being expanded but this is a definite overreach regardless of how you feel about Star Citizen. The ability to refund after seven years for the reasons given is retarded. This effectively kills early access and crowdfunding in the UK which has been responsible for a lot of really cool projects.

They have delivered the persistent universe which has been getting major updates every three months for years. The scope expanded from the Kickstarter pitch due to raising hundreds of millions of dollars versus the $2 million they originally requested. Backers voted with their wallets and kept funding until it reached the behemoth status it is today. Stretch goals stopped at the $65 million mark which was after this dude bought his shit. Anyone not happy with the trajectory of the product had until mid-2017 until they started cracking down on refunds, a year and a half after the persistent universe module released to all backers.

Those purchases were made long after the scope had been altered so I have zero sympathy. Unfortunately these sc_refund douchebags won't have the balls to continue posting off their accounts when they inevitably buy in again else I would have some entertainment to look forward to. I just hope he loses a bunch of money and wasted a whole lot of time in the process
clip_image001.gif

It’s like “backers voted for it” is perfect excuse to delay the damn thing indefinitely, fuck those who voted no or weren’t even aware that such voting was even going on, that just wanted their single-player experience that was originally advertised, they were clearly ball-less infidels anyway, and now they get to suck it up after throwing their cash at it.

Let’s also not ignore the fact of how fucking retarded it is to let a gaming community, especially one like the SC community, to make such heavy decisions for the fucking company… unless of course, they were already counting on the extremely convenient results, since a big chunk of the people voting for it are as dumb and easily excitable as a group of teenage girls watching a Justin Beaver concert, and will even parrot that shit out for the next extra 30 years of development that just got added without even really knowing what the fuck they were actually voting for…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m 100% with you on not having any fucking sympathy for them, as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted, but I won’t deny the little joy I get from seeing someone like Chris who can’t say “good night” without lying twice having to park his new yacht to throw the cash back at those fools, just so they can spent it with the next internet clown that promises them a fucking unicorn or some shit like that.

CR will finish Star Citizen in 10 -15 years from now

Ny6OpWG.jpg

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I also really dislike how outfit icons are massive in the UI because its a lot of wasted space

Begone thot!

You must be one of those retarded souls that jumped for joy when Diablo 3 introduced those stupid small inventory UI item icons and abandoned the D2 big items with beautiful art.

This was what Arma does so its odd that SC isn't copying that.

If you think that, you also must be one of those intrepid thinkers that considers that copying this in their game (which is now synonymous with XCOM)

upload_2021-10-15_3-49-34.png

doesn't rise issues regarding originality or professional integrity. :)

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
You must be one of those retarded souls that jumped for joy when Diablo 3 introduced those stupid small inventory UI item icons and abandoned the D2 big items with beautiful art.
No because that inventory system was built around fitting the tiles into allowed spaces aka Inventory Tetris thus its an over simplification of a good mechanic. We can clearly see SC however uses the usual (and frankly annoying) Weight limitation system so its redundant the size of the object doesn't factor at all.
I do appreciate the visuals of such a system but it also helps that we communicate the mechanics visually which unfortunately this isn't doing. In Deus Ex Inventory tetris works because the size of the object = the tile size, here with SC that is not the case at all.
This is why I'm suggesting go the arma 2 route because arma 2 resolved this issue already with how it handled inventory. (items have their own slots and weight is only a factor on speed, slots are more important than weight).

Stalker also managed to marry the two systems together. However it didn't support sorting. It did do something right though in that bigger items are usually more important/useful.

Kenshi also married the systems however becomes extremely tedious when you're dealing with multiple inventories, it did have sorting but I felt the sorting made the whole thing very redundant eventually you just stopped interacting with the inventory until you absolutely had to.

If you think that, you also must be one of those intrepid thinkers that considers that copying this in their game (which is now synonymous with XCOM) doesn't rise issues regarding originality or professional integrity.
Nothing new is original. Nothing has been original for a long time. There is nothing wrong at all about copying mechanics and UI designs from other games derivative works happen all the time.
You end up with issues though once too many people have copied the same idea blemishes and all. The idea is to modify the design to work within the parameters of your game design.

Anyway the UI seems to be a first pass so I'd give them benefit of the doubt that they'll likely refine it and come to obvious conclusions on where it makes sense to optimise the design.

Also you can clearly see that this UI is suffering from Cyberpunks render icon issues. This is also another reason for going the two tile only limitation as it is better on the performance to pre-render the icon and scale it accordingly, that is the system Arma uses as well hence no icon popin.

Last edited:

Those purchases were made long after the scope had been altered so I have zero sympathy. Unfortunately these sc_refund douchebags won't have the balls to continue posting off their accounts when they inevitably buy in again else I would have some entertainment to look forward to. I just hope he loses a bunch of money and wasted a whole lot of time in the process :lol:
Hahaha there are still true believers in this scam? Lol what a dumbfuck.

These people are why we cannot have nice things. Why bother trying to market your product to people who will have expectations of some kind of quality? Apparently there's enough retards out there who will uncritically eat a diaper full of rotten shit and pay thousands for the privilege.

And look at your dumbass arguing against people getting refunds. Jesus what a stupid fucker. I'll bet you think That Which Sleeps is just about to release too, if only the other backers would stop bugging the poor dev.

ADL

Prophet

These people are why we cannot have nice things. Why bother trying to market your product to people who will have expectations of some kind of quality? Apparently there's enough retards out there who will uncritically eat a diaper full of rotten shit and pay thousands for the privilege.

And look at your dumbass arguing against people getting refunds. Jesus what a stupid fucker. I'll bet you think That Which Sleeps is just about to release too, if only the other backers would stop bugging the poor dev.
Put Star Citizen aside for a moment, do you think it is reasonable for someone to say "I bought a product seven years ago, I had unlimited access to it for a year plus prior to them cracking down on refunds in 2017 and now seven years after my purchase, I want my money back" and have their nanny state comply with such a ridiculous request?

Myobi

Liturgist
"I bought a product seven years ago, I had unlimited access to it for a year plus prior to them cracking down on refunds in 2017 and now seven years after my purchase, I want my money back"

That’s not really what happened.

They stated they would be delivering a single-player game around 2014.

They took his money and…

Nothing on 2014.

Nothing on 2015.

Nothing on 2016.

Nothing on 2017.

Nothing on 2018.

Nothing on 2019.

Nothing on 2020.

…and nothing on 2021.

In fact, there is barely anything about the game yet.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Put Star Citizen aside for a moment, do you think it is reasonable for someone to say "I bought a product seven years ago, I had unlimited access to it for a year plus prior to them cracking down on refunds in 2017 and now seven years after my purchase, I want my money back" and have their nanny state comply with such a ridiculous request?

Wait. There is an actual product and not just pre-alpha prototype? How was this missed? Can you give us the link for the game?

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
hey stated they would be delivering a single-player game around 2014.

They took his money and…

Nothing on 2014.

Nothing on 2015.

Nothing on 2016.

Nothing on 2017.

Nothing on 2018.

Nothing on 2019.

Nothing on 2020.

…and nothing on 2021.
Lol of course that isn't coming out.

ADL

Prophet
Wait. There is an actual product and not just pre-alpha prototype? How was this missed? Can you give us the link for the game?
Pre-alpha has negative connotations when really it just means it's not feature-locked. A good majority of the gameplay loops and professions are implemented and there's significant updates released every three months. This dude not only played the persistent universe for six fucking years but also continued to pour more money into it years after the persistent universe launched.
"I bought a product seven years ago, I had unlimited access to it for a year plus prior to them cracking down on refunds in 2017 and now seven years after my purchase, I want my money back"

That’s not really what happened.

They stated they would be delivering a single-player game around 2014.

They took his money and…

Nothing on 2014.

Nothing on 2015.

Nothing on 2016.

Nothing on 2017.

Nothing on 2018.

Nothing on 2019.

Nothing on 2020.

…and nothing on 2021.

In fact, there is barely anything about the game yet.
This I can sympathize with, but the state should've only refunded him the Squadron 42 portion of his original starter package ($15-$20 value). Maybe even the full value of his starter package purchased in 2014. Not the complete amount of everything he spent specifically for use in Star Citizen as late as 2017.

Myobi

Liturgist
This I can sympathize with, but the state should've only refunded him the Squadron 42 portion of his original starter package ($15-$20 value). Maybe even the full value of his starter package purchased in 2014. Not the complete amount of everything he spent specifically for use in Star Citizen as late as 2017.

My dude, if I buy a fucking happy meal and my burger turns out fucked beyond imagination, if I demand a refund they won’t be like “yeah, but only part of the cash because you can still enjoy eating the pre-alpha fries”.

Again, don’t get me wrong, I don’t disagree with rusty_shackleford when he says who ever throws money at shit like this should know the risks and sort of fucking deserves it, however the same sort of applies to CiG, there is a limit to how much you can fucking lie to people to generate hype for the sake of profits till consumers rights just fuck you over.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
My dude, if I buy a fucking happy meal and my burger turns out fucked beyond imagination, if I demand a refund they won’t be like “yeah, but only part of the cash because you can still enjoy eating the pre-alpha fries”.
It's pretty different backing a crowdfunding campaign vs purchasing a product. The expectation is that the money will be spent and hopefully a decent game will come out at the end. If the devs fail to live up to their promises, that might be shady dealing, incompetence, or just bad luck, but your money's already gone regardless. I wouldn't ask InXile for my $100 back despite them releasing one of the biggest turds ever in Tides of Numanuma. It was just a regrettable investment on my part.

Maybe it would be ideal to have more legal accountability in crowdfunding, but everyone should have known what they were getting into - especially those who backed during the kickstarter when there was no game development studio and the stretch goals were absurd pipe dreams. That's why I didn't back till they showed some actual progress with 3.0 :smug:

Myobi

Liturgist
It's pretty different backing a crowdfunding campaign vs purchasing a product. The expectation is that the money will be spent and hopefully a decent game will come out at the end. If the devs fail to live up to their promises, that might be shady dealing, incompetence, or just bad luck, but your money's already gone regardless. I wouldn't ask InXile for my $100 back despite them releasing one of the biggest turds ever in Tides of Numanuma. It was just a regrettable investment on my part.

Maybe it would be ideal to have more legal accountability in crowdfunding, but everyone should have known what they were getting into - especially those who backed during the kickstarter when there was no game development studio and the stretch goals were absurd pipe dreams. That's why I didn't back till they showed some actual progress with 3.0
clip_image001.gif

Jesus fucking christs… it’s almost like I stated that shit on the part you purposely left out of the fucking quote you muppet.

Again, don’t get me wrong, I don’t disagree with rusty_shackleford when he says who ever throws money at shit like this should know the risks and sort of fucking deserves it, however the same sort of applies to CiG, there is a limit to how much you can fucking lie to people to generate hype for the sake of profits till consumers rights just fuck you over.

Also the point wasn’t comparing buying a fucking happy meal to throwing money at crowdfunded projects, it was about the damn refund, if you are getting a refund, you get the refund on the entire thing, doesn’t matter if you still played with the shitty ass plastic toy or if enjoyed your undercooked fries.

Myobi

Liturgist
@AN4RCHID my dude, post ratings are supposed to rate the post, not to express how it makes you feel.

Also, it’s not like it’s somehow my fault that your illiterate ass struggles to comprehend a post with two lines to text, just invest less into fancy ass looking jpgs and more into education and maybe you won’t have to blame others for embarrassing yourself that fucking often.

Myobi

Liturgist
‘Star Citizen”s latest exploit has players healing each other to death

Star Citizen reportedly has an exploit that can result in a needle-based PvP where players attack each other with healing syringes.

... fucking space aid now.

Syl

Cipher
A few more millions and surely they will master the tech of adding and substracting hit points. :P

Myobi

Liturgist
This may not seem like a big deal when spawning in the Star Citizen‘s starting areas, as PvP isn’t allowed in these “armistice zones”, but healing with syringes is. However, as healing too much can result in an overdose in-game and isn’t recognised as PvP, players have started taking advantage of this exploit.

“You can see where this is going. Players spot a geared guy and bum rush him and stab him full. The player then actually overdoses and dies and the gear is yours for the taking,” xx-shalo-xx explains.

Kek, "intentional".

AN4RCHID

Arcane
It is recognized as PVP if you kill another player via overdose, you get a criminal rating and if there are guards around they'll kill you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom