Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fates of Ort - retro isometric spellslinging RPG

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Patch:

• Added additional wandering merchant locations
  • Fixed navigator targeting of moon fragments
  • Fixed incorrect biome tag in two snow houses
  • Fix applied to ending dialogue
  • Fixed bug with Wormlett enemy causing player to seize up
  • Fixed typo in Dhekord dialogue
  • Improved tooltips system and explained more settings options

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I played for about half an hour and wasn't feeling it. The central conceit of spending health for your spells doesn't add any new depth. You just have to be extremely frugal with casting your spells, like if SS2 didn't give out any psi hypos.

V_K

Arcane
I played for about half an hour and wasn't feeling it. The central conceit of spending health for your spells doesn't add any new depth. You just have to be extremely frugal with casting your spells, like if SS2 didn't give out any psi hypos.
Just wait until further - not even much further - levels where melee becomes totally unviable.
There's also a nice mechanic where if you use the same spell too much, its cost becomes higher and higher, so you're forced to vary a bit.

V_K

Arcane
Read the reviews and see for yourself whether it's the kind of game that appeals to you. It's fairly unique, pretty, and has lots of C&Cs, but to me the main gameplay loop felt stale after a few hours.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
-30% now. Is it worth getting at that pricetag?

In the same Genre, I find Exiled kingdom quite good, the combat is decent, if you pick a mage with a tank companion but the quest design is very good as well as the exploration, as long as you stay away from townhall proc. generated townhall quest, the good ones are the ones given by NPC.

I never played fates of ort.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/895480/view/3117058860956409364
New content update: Lunar Battles!
Battle powerful foes on the moons of Ort
Battle powerful foes in this free Fates of Ort content update. Gather and return moon rocks to the Stargazer near the Chroniclary to receive the usual rewards... But this time - you will also unlock a gateway to the very moons of Ort.

The Lunar Battles update is a free content update for Fates of Ort, designed to provide an endgame challenge. The moons of Ort are crawling with very challenging enemies, but the loot rewards are just as good. See how many moons you can complete in one go!

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
So, I played through it and choose the shadow + consumption route, got the ruler achievement in the end. I took around 11 hours to complete it, was level 10 in the end.
I think I saw only half of the game, didn't explore everything and some path depend on your build (gated content yes!! :D)
The game is like (one guy mentioned here) pause with real-time. It feels natural very fast and having the auto-pause feature helps when you need it but aside from a few fights you don't need the pauses because it's an easy game.
I'm not a good player and it felt easy to me (there is a hero mode which is harder). Many of the quests are simple fetch quests, I encountered puzzles only in one area and only one type, there are plenty of dialogue options. Some bigger quests have multiple solutions. A big gripe of mine is that I think that the developer thought it might not be easy enough because every quest has an optional hint (which is more or less the solution) right next to its description. This is certainly something I would advise against since it stifles discussions and you are more likely to actual look up the solution.
The game was made mostly by one programmer who also wrote the story, one artist and one musician. It's a big game and for the 50% sale it is on right now, it's a steal.
It feels extremely polished, the artstyle consistent, the game is almost bug-free (I encountered only a few minor bugs and maybe they get fixed because he still updates the game).

It's experimental in a lot of ways - when you level up you get more spells but don't alter your stats. Your stats are mostly improved through the equipment you find.

I would have liked even more C&C, blocked off areas, etc., maybe some dialogue games (like convincing somebody as a quest solution just through the right dialogue choices) and disabling enemy respawning (at least the enemies that don't come through the consumption pools which seem to be a little like oblivion gates, these at least make sense that they are respawning). The choice and consequence part is right there in the middle: Enough to warrant a replay but not enough to necessitate one. I also didn't really like the big bars for the UI but you get accustomed to it and it has a more filmish feel in a way.

If you keep in mind that it's made by a very small team all these criticisms aren't really a thing - aside from the enemy respawning. It feels like a game which could have been made by more people!

What I liked

- Big varied world
- Varied characters
- Experimental design
- Very polished

What I liked but would have loved to see more (but understandable because of team-size)

- Choice and consequence
- More gated content

What I didn't like

- Very easy
- Enemies respawn

Overall: Can recommend.

:kingcomrade:

20220413154434_1.jpg

More screenshots.

20220412214731_1.jpg
20220412215153_1.jpg
20220412215237_1.jpg
20220413000114_1.jpg
20220413002105_1.jpg
20220413170225_1.jpg
20220414011920_1.jpg
20220414034010_1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom