Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Deleted member 28561

Trannies and ladyboys should stay in their containment thread (cuckfinder thread).
Gay vampire is totally halal tho...
Quoth the Arab poet Abu Nowas,
A pound of roast meat, a few loaves of bread
A jug of wine, at least one willing boy,
A pipe of hashish. Now the picnic's spread
My garden beggars paradise's joy.

Hassar

Scholar
The irony is that every time the LGBTQWERTY are appeased, this only radicalizes them further. Our little orange-haired Hitlers.

They just want attention. It’s always some new gripe which only they, in their infinite wisdom and alternate vocabulary, can understand. I’m gay and black but still find far leftists exhausting. Bringing that obnoxiousness to video games (most of which don’t even have good stories) is ridiculous. Just a setup to always be frothing at the mouth about something.

Anyway, keeping an eye out for new developments. Want to run through an all wizard party again but think I’ll wait until the game is stabilized.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
In Original Sin 2 I ended up picking one of the companions to play as main character, seems like it had way more interactions with NPCs and the story due to backstory of the character.

Is it the same way with BG3?

Codex Year of the Donut
In Original Sin 2 I ended up picking one of the companions to play as main character, seems like it had way more interactions with NPCs and the story due to backstory of the character.

Is it the same way with BG3?
No, the premade characters aren't even available (officially) for testing yet. IIRC, Swen said something about this in one of the livestreams, DOS2 had too much focus on the origin story characters or somesuch.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The irony is that every time the LGBTQWERTY are appeased, this only radicalizes them further. Our little orange-haired Hitlers.

They just want attention. It’s always some new gripe which only they, in their infinite wisdom and alternate vocabulary, can understand. I’m gay and black but still find far leftists exhausting. Bringing that obnoxiousness to video games (most of which don’t even have good stories) is ridiculous. Just a setup to always be frothing at the mouth about something.

Anyway, keeping an eye out for new developments. Want to run through an all wizard party again but think I’ll wait until the game is stabilized.
Yeah, I've learned that activists are not representative of those they claim to represent, and are usually in fact misrepresenting. That's the thing with activists, whether gender-, political, ecological or whatever - for most of them it's an obsession, or a business, or both. So they have an innate need of a crisis from which to protect or of an injustice against which to fight. Regardless of the opinion of those they are "protecting".

just

Liturgist
yesterday i rolled bad and was forced to buy it
i hate 5e, wish i would inform myself beforehand maybe i would get an advantage
feels like i havent move far from pathfinder and still use grease everytime
there are almost no trash fights and the game looks nice so thats something
being fully voiceacted is cool coz that means no walls of text, keeps retarded writers in check
wasnt paying attention at the beginning and thought i have to make 2 characters like in dos but then the second guy start touching me in dreams. should have figure out something aint right coz he was wearing silk dress. all in all, ui need some work
story is ok, droping from the sky with my group of special snowflakes and immediately start solving refugee crisis with no vendor having ivermectin in stock to quickly deworm myself, now i have to make pacts with devils, hags and other undesirables

im never getting 60 bucks back so it's my job now to tell people that we're in early access and theres nothing day1 patch cant fix

Larianshill

Arbiter
New hotfix.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3033730231606469721

Changelist:

● Enabling Screenspace Sub Surface Scattering (SSSS) no longer causes game to crash.
● Fixed crash when both DLSS and HDR are enabled.
● A rare crash that appeared when a follower dies during combat is no more.
● Zarys will now ignite the barrels and run away after being startled.
● Bald Duergar are now even balder. Please refer to BG3 as Balder’s Gate from here on out.
● Glut can now jump - not to be confused with the title of the 1992 Woody Harrelson basketball movie.
● You can only return Sergeant Thrinn's boots if you knew they were stolen to begin with.
● Create Water can now be used to extinguish light sources that it previously could not.
● Fixed scaling issues of the HDR calibration image with DLSS turned on - it now resizes accordingly.
● Improved animations and VFX for some Weapon Actions.
● Lights no longer appear right before starting a cinematic dialogue while the screen is fading.
● The Prepare action tooltip won’t display negative damage.
● You can now end your turn after using Flaming Sphere.
● Made the falling impact damage formula more precise.
● Characters no longer randomly receive 44 bludgeoning damage. That was weird.
● Glut and other characters now have their correct portraits.
● Shadowheart will now have all her spell points when recruited on the beach.
● Withers now always leaves when dismissed.
● A number of small UI issues related to saving and loading have been fixed.
● Improved texture of Halfling dreadlocks.
● Cancelling interface changes in the Settings menu will now properly revert to the original settings.
● Myconids will no longer get stuck in an endless self-healing loop after combat.
● Fixed an AI calculation issue that caused NPCs to pass their turn without doing anything.
● Fixed the passive feature of Elder Brithvar's pick weapon.
● All torches found in Grymforge are now equippable.
● Resolved a visual issue when opening the lava valve at the Adamantine Forge.
● Fixed a crash when killing the last enemy at Plea at the Gates combat.
● Wild Magic: Enchant Weapons properly deal critical damage.
● Spore Servant and Hook Horror status overlays are no longer bright green.
● Night Walkers boots now grant immunity to Entangled and Ensnared.
● Ring of Fire now works on Fire damage from weapon attacks.
● Horrific Visage's Mind Flayer no longer faces the wrong direction.
● Priestess Gut can no longer call guards when silenced.
● Active rolls are now properly centered on 16:10 resolution screens.
● Fixed NPC spells sometimes not hitting other NPCs.
● Whispering Mask effects will now be applied correctly when equipped through the Equipment UI.

● Priestess Gut can no longer call guards when silenced.
I remember complaining about this, repeatedly, ever since the early access first dropped. Good that it was fixed, but I really didn't expect it to happen in a hotfix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salvo

Arcane
One can't help but wonder how much later, non-playtested Acts will be messed up and / or they're frontloading all the details as per larian standard

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Swen on the EA process, accessibility, loaded dice, salami: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...rs-gate-3-an-adventure-in-failure-and-success

One year of Baldur's Gate 3: An adventure in failure and success
Larian CEO Swen Vincke discusses the complexity of invisible rules, self-imposed high standards, and salami as a weapon

It's a different world since we last talked to Larian Studios' CEO Swen Vincke.

In February 2020, the studio had just started showing Baldur's Gate 3, and Vincke talked to GamesIndustry.biz about working on the iconic IP, at a press event organised in Paris.

The event was part of a wider preview tour that also then went to Germany and America, wrapping up with PAX East 2020. There was no knowing that this would be the last in-person event for the Larian team for almost two years.

When we talk to him this time around -- shortly after EGX, which marked Larian's return to physical events -- he's actually in Canada, on a tour to visit all Larian studios across the world. Vincke has been catching up with his teams, travelling for an entire month after a year and a half of staying put. And while the obstacles linked to the pandemic are still fresh in his mind, the greatest hurdle the team is facing is linked to the pressure it puts on itself, and nothing else.

"The biggest challenge is just getting everything done," Vincke says. "There's just so much, it's a very large project with a lot of ambitions with an insane amount of permutations, and making sure that everybody will have fun, regardless if you're a cleric of Shar or a Barbarian-Paladin-Druid multi-class.

"In terms of scope, you start with ambitions to do everything and then as the realities of production hit you, you say: 'Maybe not that, maybe not that'. That is the way it works, right? For us this project is certainly the most challenging one that we've done, just because of our sheer ambition of getting the polish level so high."

Baldur's Gate 3 launched in early access on Steam a year ago. Larian's previous title, Divinity: Original Sin 2, was in early access for a year before its full release, but BG3 looks to take considerably longer, with Vincke having already shared that the title will not fully launch this year. So the studio is having to mitigate the dangers of early access.

"It's something that we think a lot about," Vincke says. "The biggest risk is that there's a certain amount of fatigue that might pop up, certainly among the press. You can imagine that people say: 'Hey, it's been in early access for forever, when is it going to come out?'

"I think the most important thing I can say about that is also what I say to the team: it doesn't really matter how long it's going to be in early access, what's going to matter is what the result will be. If the result is going to be the experience that everybody expects it to be, then it will be fine, because people are going to have a tremendous amount of fun when they're going to be playing it. That is the end goal so we keep that in front of us, and then the time it takes is the time it takes.

"Making games is complicated and this is a complicated game, so there's little that we can do about accelerating it. We are scaling up, we're putting a lot of resources into it -- a lot more than we expected -- to give the game the development that it deserves, so we can't do much more than what we're doing. It just takes time."

Larian opened a new Guildford studio in February, acquiring the Turbulenz team, and then a Barcelona one in June, composed of former Blitworks staff who had worked on the Nintendo Switch version of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

"These were two teams that we'd [been] working with already for multiple years, and we wanted to make sure that they were going to keep on working with us," Vincke says. "They were both based in locations where there's a lot of talent available. As we need to grow, we need to attract more talent, and ever since we acquired them it's proven itself already that they are two pillars of our entire studio.

"It probably was one of the easiest things I had to decide because it's a no-brainer. The [teams are] incredibly talented, so when you have the bread and butter of making games as talent, if you have people that are that talented, you want them to be working on your game."

Baldur's Gate 3's early access has proven extremely successful so far, literally breaking Steam on release, and leaving thousands of players unable to purchase the title while technical issues were being resolved. It peaked at over 70,000 concurrent players right after launch, and has since benefited from a consistent stream of updates delivered to a loyal fanbase. But Vincke says he doesn't measure success based on sales numbers.

"It will be [a success] if the majority of players enjoy the game. That's literally it. And I think we will know when we hit that bar because it will mean that we will be enjoying playing the game also. That's really the benchmark.

"If we hit that then we'll be happy. If we don't and we get bored, then we will be very unhappy. So we're not going to let that happen. We did the same thing with the previous games and that is really the formula for us: it has to be fun. We know what we're making. But again, it's just that it takes so bloody long," he laughs.

"I think that the most important thing that you can see is that the game is getting better as a result of the early access and as a result of the community, which is really why we're doing it."

Baldur's Gate 3 entered a CRPG market that has experienced a resurgence in recent years, both thanks to the booming popularity of Dungeons & Dragons, and thanks to Larian itself with the incredible success of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

"The market for the type of RPG that we're making is huge," Vincke continues. "I think that a lot of people just don't realise that they play this type of game. Original Sin 2 for instance really sold a lot. And it did that by people getting their friends to try it out. That was really the marketing campaign. It's people getting [others] to start playing and it just spreads like that.

"And I think we could do much better still, which is what we're trying to do with BG3, and opening up the type of gameplay, because really it is very simple : here's a problem or situation, you can talk to the guy, you can ask a couple questions, he reacts to it, you got a bunch of things that you can do, and oh my god everything's on fire. That's appealing to everybody.

"So I don't really bother about wondering how large [that market] is. We just put a lot of love and a lot of money and effort into this one game because we figured that if it's really good, people are going to come and play. And I know that it's not necessarily the most business savvy approach to it, but if there's enough people that are willing to buy to play it and 'some' is larger than what you're putting into it, you'll be okay and that's pretty much how we're approaching it."

A lot of the work Larian is accomplishing with Baldur's Gate 3's early access actually revolves around accessibility and onboarding, and how you convey the complex rules of D&D in the simplest way possible.

"We have an entire group that's working on this, so they're getting new players that have never played a game like Baldur's Gate 3 before, they're doing tests trying to figure out what it is that we need to explain, because some of these rules are really complicated.

"You don't want a game to be complicated, you want it to be very natural and very intuitive and so there's a lot of work being done on the background that we haven't shipped yet, where we're trying to say: what is the best and easiest way for a player discovering this rule so that they intuitively take it into account? This early access is clearly obviously a very important platform for us.

"I think when you'll see what we will release compared to where we started, you'll have this feeling of: holy shit, this is very, very accessible, I don't have to think about it, it just makes sense. And that's exactly the experience you have if you play D&D in real life. If you have a good DM, they're not going to bombard you with 300 pages of rules that you need to learn, they're just going to be: hey, you enter a dungeon and there's a door. What do you do?"

Not all aspects of D&D will be easily translated to a video game, with Larian introducing interesting changes since Baldur's Gate 3 launched in early access, such as loaded dice. It's an optional feature that increases the chances of rolling higher.

On the surface, this could be seen as fundamentally against what D&D is about. But randomness in a video game has to be treated differently than randomness in real life, giving a glimpse at the type of the challenges Larian is facing while developing the title, adapting a specific set of rules while still making it appealing as a video game.

"This is actually the result of early access and how people reacted," Vincke says. "When we started making the game we said: look, one of the core philosophies of D&D is that you go with the roll, and then if it goes bad or good that's going to decide something, but that's the fun, you just go with it and you see what happens. We wanted to make sure that failure was as much fun as success, so we kept on working and, in failure, sometimes, you found much more adventure than in success.

"But clearly the human mind doesn't work necessarily that way. When they see a failure, they reload. We actually got some flack for some of those things that we were doing. So we said we'll make an option there for the people who, when they see 80% [chances of success], what they really expect is a 100%.

"And to be fair I'm the same. If someone says you have an 80% chance, I do not expect to fail. Still, I suppose that there's a one in five chance I'm failing, that means that one in five of them is going to fail and the fifth one is of course going to be the most important hit."

And when a player fails on their most important hit, in a video game, they unfortunately often turn against the developer, leaving negative reviews, Vincke points out.

So a lot of invisible work is happening on Baldur's Gate 3 so it feels right, and some of it will go completely unnoticed by the player.

"The loaded dice certainly worked for a lot of players," Vincke continues. "The dice are very important in the game, because it's the core of the system. But there's also these passive rules happening in the background, something that we maybe should emphasise a little bit more.

"I was really inspired by seeing one of the DMs at Wizards [of the Coast] play -- we had a session with him and he just kept rolling that dice continuously. And we were all like: what's happening? What's he doing? And that was a really good feeling. And we want the player to feel that also, so that when they're playing the game they're like: 'it meant something could have happened!' And so when you replay and you see the dice go differently, you realise how much actually is underneath it. And the net effect is not necessarily to demonstrate how much work we put in it, the net effect is that suddenly you realise: hold on a minute, all of this matters, this is all important.

"We want to have that Dungeons & Dragons feeling, not slavishly following every single one rule, but really getting the feeling of playing this tabletop experience but everything is being done for me, this dungeon master is doing everything automatically, I'm just having a good time. It's really about us removing the barriers to entry and shoving it in front of people's noses really so that they just give it a go, and then usually it clicks. Because if you go to the reviews of BG3, of DOS 2, one of the things you really often read is: 'I never thought I was going to enjoy this, but here I am, a hundred hours later!'"

Larian is certainly doing everything it can to make sure there is no Baldur's Gate 3 fatigue happening since it launched in early access, regularly holding its Panels from Hell to update players on the latest patches.

It even ran a LARP (live action role-playing game) to announce its latest update, which saw one of the players use a salami as a weapon, which had such a great reaction from fans that it ended up in the game itself. It may sound like an anecdote but it's actually a great example of how Larian is approaching this early access.

"Nobody asked for that. That's what I like about my company, I woke up the next day and there was a developer who said: there is a salami weapon. Before you knew it, it was a thing, and you can dual wield the salamis.

"Of course you only get it if you saw that particular stream, but still it's fun that you can do it. If I were to play D&D that's one thing that I might actually do: I pick up the salami and I smack the monster on its head. So that's the cool part, and there's plenty of stuff that happens like that, where [players] don't expect any of that. And that's how you want it to be with game development."

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
UzwHZ5d.png

Youtube is basically useless now. Not even game trailers are allowed without providing your credit card or passport.

BruceVC

Magister
I still havent heard anything that has even remotely put me off from buying this game, I appreciate Svens efforts around the honest updates and cosplay antics

As I mentioned before BG2:ToB was my overall favorite RPG of all time so you only imagine how excited I am about this game but I will only buy it on full release and play it once the first bug fix\update has been released :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom