Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I have been playing this six level mapset released the other day named Arceon. It may be because I am a few months out of practice but this wad is really kicking my butt. This wad's gimmick is nonlinear levels with a huge emphasis on interconnected areas. Currently I am on level four but I would recommend it.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/top...ible-mapset-rc2/?tab=comments#comment-2393747

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
REKKR just got released on Steam. Currently selling for peanuts. Mostly similar to the idgames release but with the old bonus E4 replaced with a brand new one.

Blowout soon, fellow stalker.

5nhVDEj.png

ferratilis

Magister
REKKR just got released on Steam. Currently selling for peanuts. Mostly similar to the idgames release but with the old bonus E4 replaced with a brand new one.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I really liked the .wad version. How does this one work? Does it use a different engine or something?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Interesting, thanks for the info. I really liked the .wad version. How does this one work? Does it use a different engine or something?
Just a customized and pre-configured version of GZDoom. Most of the settings that shouldn't be changed are inaccessible normally, but they can all be re-enabled quite easily and changed to whatever you like. Really, the main (only?) 2 reasons to buy this are because you want to play the new episode, and/or you feel this is good enough to support the wad author.

ferratilis

Magister
Just a customized and pre-configured version of GZDoom. Most of the settings that shouldn't be changed are inaccessible normally, but they can all be re-enabled quite easily and changed to whatever you like. Really, the main (only?) 2 reasons to buy this are because you want to play the new episode, and/or you feel this is good enough to support the wad author.
I got it, but just to support the dev. It's not better than .wad version because the custom GZDoom they used has limited options (for example, you can't adjust the automap to your liking, or the HUD scaling etc.), and the quality of music seems worse than the high quality pack you can download from moddb. But in Crispy Doom it's just perfection. Still, Rekkr is one of the better wads out there and deserves support imo.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I got it, but just to support the dev. It's not better than .wad version because the custom GZDoom they used has limited options (for example, you can't adjust the automap to your liking, or the HUD scaling etc.), and the quality of music seems worse than the high quality pack you can download from moddb. But in Crispy Doom it's just perfection. Still, Rekkr is one of the better wads out there and deserves support imo.

The GZDoom version inside might default to the MicrosoftGS which is notoriously lower quality than what you might have in Crispy Doom, which should be Timidity provided you gave it a soundfont. With that said regardless of what I do my GZDoom always sounds different than Crispy or Boom but for me this is not too much of an issue as I rarely use GZDoom.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I didn't test it but apparently using using "menu_options" as a console command re-enables everything. And yeah the main reason to buy it on Steam is because you liked the original enough that you think the author deserves some money, and you get E4 as a bonus.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane

This hack completely replaces the original engine, adding performance improvements and new features, as well as missing levels from the Jaguar port.

• Multi-region, supports both PAL and NTSC.
  • Smoother yet faithful gameplay.
  • New PSX-like title screen.
  • Rendering has been spread across both SH2 processors for better speed.
  • User input is processed at 30FPS, while game logic runs at 15FPS.
  • Low (two pixel modes) 128×144, 128×160, 160×180 and high detail 224×128, 252×144 video modes.
  • Soundtrack courtesy of Spoony Bard: https://www.patreon.com/SpoonyBard
  • Selecting between no music, VGM FM music, or playing music from attached Sega CD (requires Sega CD in addition to 32X).
  • Stereo panning for game sounds.
  • Save ram support - keeps track of finished levels, health, armor, weapons and ammo - eight save slots as well as an auto-save at the end of each level.
  • Includes Saxman’s 24 Level Expansion pack.
  • Restores sprite directions from the Jaguar version as well as in-fighting between monsters.
  • Level fixes courtesy of Wavy.
  • Spectres look the way they did in the original PC version.
  • Jaguar Doom HUD assets.
  • Three drawing modes: the regular sector based lighting (although it’s better than the original Doom 32X in that sprites also use this lighting, no more 100% bright sprites!), “potato” mode which doesn’t texture floors or ceilings for slightly better speed, or the original Doom fading light rendering (which is just a smidgen slower and looks a little muddy given the fifteen bit palette of the 32X).
  • ‘Always run’ option.
  • Support for three-button and six-button pads, as well as the Sega mouse. You can choose how to map the primary three buttons in the menu.
  • Verified as working on Kega Fusion 3.64, a Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD + launch 32X, a CDX + 32X, with a NeoFlash NeoMyth MD and the V1 Mega EverDrive, and also with Mega EverDrive Pro.
https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/7761/#review

But wait!
There's more.

Doom 64: Merciless Edition II is a reverse enginereerd effort led by Immorpher, using the impossible works of Erick194's reverse engineering of Doom 64.

Features:
At a glance:
  • New “Be Merciless!” difficulty makes the enemies more relentless, unpredictable, and agile. The player gets some boosts too!
  • Menus have been reorganized for easier access, new defaults, and to accommodate the new extra features.
  • New autorun and motion bob options. Motion bob can be disabled to reduce motion sickness and autorun helps with movement speed.
  • Video menu now allows texture filtering, dithering, and interlacing to be turned on or off. Also the game’s brightness is extended.
  • Display menu can turn off flashes and strobe effects, intermission texts, or new map statistics in the automap.
  • New options for a HUD colors, transparency, and margins.
  • There is a new “Retro Fighters” controller option and weapon switching has been adjusted.
  • Story screens have been updated with a new introduction, ways to speed them up, and grammar corrections.
  • Messaging system now supports colors and more lines. It is easier to notice secrets and new death texts from the community appear!
  • Game saves now display the difficulty level of the save. Also the difficulty can be changed when restarting a level.
  • Missing zombiemen sounds have been restored as well as a some missing texts.
  • Features menu contains more options added from Doom 64 RE and a few new bonus ones as well.
  • Code has been updated with a higher compiling optimization and updated rendering microcode.
Detailed features:

• "Be Merciless!" Difficulty
    • The “Be Merciless!” difficulty setting combines parts of the “Nightmare!” mode introduced in Doom 64 RE with the "Hardcore!" mode of Doom 64 EX and other tweaks. As opposed to exactly copying the difficulties of other Doom 64 ports, it is now an experience focused on brutal action. Enemies are more relentless, unpredictable, faster, and agile. However, the ammo bonuses are increased and the weapon switching is faster. Overall, it is a more violent experience which may appeal to fans of the newer iterations of the Doom series.
  • Menu Reorganization and Defaults Menu
    • Many of the menus have been reorganized and renamed to accommodate the additional options and accessibility. A new "Video" menu has been added to toggle the various new video modes. Then many of the new accessibility options have been added to the "Display" menu. There is also a new "Status HUD" menu to change how the HUD looks. Further, the "Password" menu option has been moved to the main menu for easier access. There is also a new "Defaults" menu to restore the game to the original Doom 64 settings, Merciless Edition settings, Immorpher's settings, or Accessible settings for increased accessibility.
  • Movement Menu Options
    • Many players have expressed motion sickness when playing Doom 64. There is an overall swaying motion which happens when the player is moving. This also causes the weapon to bob up and down which may be making some players sick. Now there is a slider which can reduce this bobbing motion to the point of being turned off. Digital movement in Doom 64 was restricted to "walking" speed, unless the "speed" button is pressed. The new "Autorun" setting defaults digital movement to running, where now the "speed" button slows the player down.
  • Video Menu Options
    • The option to turn off the classic N64 3-point linear filtering has been moved from the "Features" cheat menu in Doom 64 RE, to the main "Video" menu in the options. This allows it to be accessible without beating "Hectic" or using a pass code. Further, this option has been extended to filter skies only (like Doom 64 Remaster) or completely off (like Doom 64 EX). Doom 64 is known for being a particularly dark. Even at maximum brightness many screens still struggle with it. Now the brightness option has been extended. By default, this version sets the brightness to the original maximum value. However, it now can be extended even beyond that by twice without oversaturating the screen. Further, there are additional video options which utilize the Nintendo 64 hardware features, such as anti-aliasing, video dithering, interlacing, and color dithering. Some combinations have a nicely retro look!
  • Display Menu Options
    • The "Display" options now contains a flash brightness option to make the game more accessible. Some parts of the game have intense flashing, particularly the first megasphere in "Holding Area", which has the risk of inducing seizures in some players. Now there is an option to reduce or turn off these flashes. And if you get tired of waiting through the intermission text screens, there is a new option to skip them. Finally, there is an option to display the map statistics in the automap screen, if you're a completionist.
  • Status HUD Options
    • There are more options now to modify the status bar and HUD. By default, the new colored HUD will be enabled, which changes color depending on armor type, ammo type, and health status. This can be disabled in the menu. Doom 64 by default has a margin around the screen to displace the HUD elements for older TV safe zones. Now this can be adjusted. Also the transparency of the HUD can be adjusted.
  • Other New Default Options
    • As mentioned the brightness has a new default setting, but also the sound volume default has been set to the maximum. This sets it slightly louder than the ambient music. Further, to honor Retro Fighter’s commitment to continuously improving their N64 controller designs, there is a new default option in the “Gamepad” menu. For controllers where all of the N64 buttons are accessible in one position, like the Retro Fighters controller, variants of the Super Pad 64, or the Hori controller, then the new “Retro Fighters” option might be the optimal layout.
  • Story Screens Update
    • The story screens now have the menu ambience as opposed to silence. When a new game is started, there is an abbreviated introductory screen adapted from the N64 manual and Doom 64 Reloaded. The "Demon" text has been changed to "Bull Demon" in the ending sequence and also the "Mother Demon" makes an appearance. The intermissions can be turned off any time in the "Display" menu, or by pressing buttons the screens can be sped up.
  • Messaging System Update
    • Inspired by the messaging system of the Doom 64 Remaster, now up to three messages (as opposed to one) will appear on screen at once. Hopefully this makes it easier to figure out what has been picked up or if you have found a secret area. The messaging system also supports colors now, where secrets and secret items will appear as blue. If you happen to die, stick on that screen for a while to see special messages from the Doom 64 community.
  • Game and Save Management
    • Now the memory pak save files include abbreviations for the difficulty. It is easier to keep all of those Doom 64 saves in order. Also if your playthrough of Doom 64 is getting too hard or easy, you can restart your game at the current level with the difficulty of your choosing. Which means you can change your difficulty midway through the game.
  • Zombiemen and Text Restorations
    • The third sight and death sounds in Doom 64 would go unplayed due to the limited randomization in the code. Now this randomization routine has been updated such that these sounds will be played. Also the missing "You pick up a medikit that you REALLY need!" has been restored.
  • Other Updates
    • With the new brightness setting, the infrared goggles have a less noticeable effect. However, now they have an overall boost to the gradient lighting without altering saturated colors. Exiting to "Hectic" will now show a stats screen and allow saving. Unusual capitalization and grammar has been fixed for the text screens. Weapon selection ending cycles have been altered to stop at the ending weapon, which is hopefully less confusing.
  • Optimizations
    • F3DEX rendering is replaced with the later F3DEX2 rendering. This should improve geometry calculations. Although this is not a major slowdown in Doom 64, it may result in a slightly more-stable frame rate and perhaps allow for more geometry in future custom maps. Further it is compiled with level 3 optimizations (O3), which improves code execution speed. In some code bases this can be unstable, but so far no issues have been found. Importantly compatibility with the original Doom 64 demos are retained.
  • Features Menu
    • These are bonus additions to the features menu added by Erick194 for Doom 64 RE!
      SECURITY KEYS: Inaccessible in the original game, this will give you all the keys available in the level.
      WALL BLOCKING: Inaccessible in the original game, this will allow you to walk through walls.
      LOCK MONSTERS: Inaccessible in the original game, stops the movement of enemies.
      MUSIC TEST: Inaccessible in the original game, you can test all of the music in the game.
      COLORS: Added by Erick194, this turns off the colored lighting in the game.
      FULL BRIGHT: Added by Erick194, all sectors will be at maximum brightness.

Last edited:
:kingcomrade:

HELLO!

Apologies for the long delay. A lot of issues had to be ironed out. The following link is the Enriched Edition of Ashes 2063 - Episode 1. Many thanks for all the support and patience.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/46uccia5ghxnhpo/Ashes2063Enriched.pk3/file

The Enriched edition contains the original Episode one, an expanded tutorial (with the ability to leave now!), the full Dead Man Walking Expansion, loads of new textures and art (thanks to Retromuffin34 for help with the new textures), new sprites and sounds for weapons and enemies, as well as some of the new features from Afterglow (you can now hold a lantern with one of your pistols, and the boot knife is on a separate key.)
Also included are many of the sounds included courtesy of Captain J's Wasteland SFX pack, a special surprise from the original release (special thanks to TheRailgunner), as well as a handful of new secrets to find. I hope you enjoy this new edition of our original works, and that it gets you all up to speed ready for Episode 2, releasing tomorrow.

Ash

Arcane
More modding marvels

this time something completely different

Looks too basic. Is there armor? Powerups? Special attacks that require resources/"ammo" to manage? It needs to at least match Doom levels of gameplay depth FFS, and there's no excuse not to when armor, powerups and an ammo system are all already in the game. :roll:

Why in the world does the screen not flash red and player have pain sounds or animations when shot, just like in Doom? It's seemingly impossible to tell you got hit aside from the lifebar depletion.

Riskbreaker

It really does look like yet another novelty/meme mod that would get old really fast after the initial wow effect. The sort of thing that, if this was 5-6 years ago, I'd immediately assume was Xaser's handiwork.
But hey, this isn't by Xaser so maybe it'll be worked on and evolve into something worthwhile rather than being dumped for another project right away.

lightbane

Arcane
Does that improved Ashes mod include the FN Fal and the camping gear I remember seeing somewhere as submods?

toughasnails

Doom Fighters look fun enough to me... I suppose that the 3D model for Doomguy sticks out and it reminds me of those old 3D model packs for Doomsday. The modified sprites and blood appear to be taken from Sgt. Mark.

Riskbreaker

So whilst you boys are waiting for Afterglow, this wee mapset might be a good substitute for the prolonged molestation of that F5 button.
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/vel_aex
I'm halfway through the second episode and so far the maps are short, sweet and, especially in the second episode, gorgeous. It's challenging but neither outright slaughtery nor gimmicky. It might turn into another piece of slaughtershite by the end but, unless that indeed happens, I've no complaint to make about it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I see that they changed some stuff in the original and addon.
A2IKSFf.png

Still wandering in the Hedon 2 Bloodrite, hope they fix new episode until then.

Does that improved Ashes mod include the FN Fal and the camping gear I remember seeing somewhere as submods?
From what I see only Dead Man Walking DLC have this battle rifle.

Star Citizen

Learned

Just started with this the other night and it's fucking brilliant. Top notch level design, fun but tough as fuckin nails gameplay and really cool theme/aesthetics. Man, what the fuk did I do to deserve some fun new FPS games to play because that well has been bone dry for years n years until the arrival of Ion Fury and then Arthurian Legends. I ain't complaining though, only coomplaining.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
HOLY MOLY Arthurian Legends is very in my type. I can complain about stuff, but im having fun. Bear traps is fun. Shield is good.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Ashes - Afterglow test will start soon, October release more realistic it seems...

Found out that there is expansion for Abysm 2 called Pharaoh's Judgement
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=72554
new land, weapons and dungeons
BchdqlWl.png

cBFNu9xl.png

They also announced HellForged 2.0
Surprised they still want new one after long developement with first project.

whats this, it looks cool

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom