Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LGV

Literate
Salute, friends
Right...I recently discover this forum and it sure feels amazing and like a perfect place to share some of my work, if you don't mind me...

This time, I'd like to share this fishing (or fishy) rpg that I'm working on.
Pretty simple stuff actually.

I made these procedurally generated maps and caves, where you have 2.000+ procedurally generated fish to catch. Some fish are common (+1000-2000), some rare (+200-1000), some super rare (+5-200), but the main goal is to catch the four legendary fish (1, 2, 3 and 4). The numbers are the noise seeds that are randomly generated.

The game contains 4 areas (the surface, and three caves), and in each there's one legendary fish and thougher enemies, as you would expect. Since my computer can't handle good graphics or huge maps, I choose to use these "Atari-2600ish" aesthetics and resolution (192x160) to overcome this - tbh, I just like this aesthetics too much and would've done this way anyway...I say this is a fishing RPG 'cause you have to fish to gain experience and upgrate your stats, fishing rod and gun to be able to handle the caves.

Anyway, here are some few screenshots of the project. If you liked it, I could post some gameplay footage or talk a bit more.

Screenshot 1: Traveling around in one of the caves, with some rudmentary skeletons and ghosts nearby.
DMFhJrD.png

Screenshot 2: Fishing on the surface (the sandbanks area), where there are some crabs or something.
VL0A41b.png

Screenshot 3: Well, just some introduction to the game.
xuaIhA2.png

Screenshot 4: Fishing in another cave with some spiders and scorpions nearby.
qTBI18d.png

Screenshot 5: Character, fishing rod and gun stats to me upgraded.
gmufk0A.png

Screenshot 6: The final cave.
50RUpLw.png

Screenshot 7: Fishing on the surface with a shark nearby (on open waters). Also there's a pig and a cow there, which you can kill to gain food.
1bDetNP.png

Screenshot 8: Fish caught, showing its seed (or pattern) number, rarity and the exp gained. In this case, I also leveled up and gained 1 point to upgrade some of my stats.
2acOzRM.png

That's pretty much it. It's been fun developing this little game. I would love some feedback :D
Thanks

LGV

Literate
It took me a while to figure it out that both the comments were fish puns. Lol maybe I'm not the best person to make a fishing game. :negative:

laclongquan

Arcane
What's difference between different type of fishes?

Like, when I go hunting in Fallout New Vegas, I have bearlike Yao Guai with its meat being ingredients to certain stronk recipe. I have gecko being a staple prey whose meat, skin, egg being all in use. I have poisonous fast Nightcrawler with its meat, poison, egg, tail of many use. For hunting wilde life, FNV has more than ten type of different preys with different characteristics and loots.

You get the idea.
--------------
To contribue idea:

Each tier of rarity bring one slot of quality. Like, a normal fish A can be nutrious, normal fish B can be fatty. But a super rare fish type A can be, fatty nutrious eggy, but one particular fish A you got is fattyx3 for example, and another nutriousx3.

The quality of a fish depend on their number of slot (rarity) BUT ALSO quality of that slot. For example, a fattyx3 fish can be used to make fish oil, but a fatty nutrious eggy can be used in numerous recipe.

so the number of it limit the chance for good combination, which make a good quality fish can be even more precious than its rarity can display. Thus creating extra quality outside of computer's defined label.

Think of my idea as a design much more chaotic than morrowind's alchemy ingredient system.

Last edited:

LGV

Literate
What's difference between different type of fishes?

Like, when I go hunting in Fallout New Vegas, I have bearlike Yao Guai with its meat being ingredients to certain stronk recipe. I have gecko being a staple prey whose meat, skin, egg being all in use. I have poisonous fast Nightcrawler with its meat, poison, egg, tail of many use. For hunting wilde life, FNV has more than ten type of different preys with different characteristics and loots.

You get the idea.
--------------
To contribue idea:

Each tier of rarity bring one slot of quality. Like, a normal fish A can be nutrious, normal fish B can be fatty. But a super rare fish type A can be, fatty nutrious eggy, but one particular fish A you got is fattyx3 for example, and another nutriousx3.

The quality of a fish depend on their number of slot (rarity) BUT ALSO quality of that slot. For example, a fattyx3 fish can be used to make fish oil, but a fatty nutrious eggy can be used in numerous recipe.

so the number of it limit the chance for good combination, which make a good quality fish can be even more precious than its rarity can display. Thus creating extra quality outside of computer's defined label.

Think of my idea as a design much more chaotic than morrowind's alchemy ingredient system.

At this stage of development (very very early) there's no difference between the fish, except that some of them are rarer to catch and, thus, gives more exp. There are about 2.000 fish. You need exp to level up and gain points so you can upgrade your status, gun and fishing rod. Updating the fishing rod and gun are essential, because the different fishing rods increases the chance of getting rarer fish and the better guns are able to break some kind of stones to open the caves, which is needed to find the legendary fish (1 per cave). So, overall, it's a lot of grinding in the beginning, because your fishing rod basically sucks and you'll be gaining few exp per catch until you can upgrade it and gain exp more easily and advance.

I liked your idea a lot. The game doesn't have any crafting mechanism so far, but it's something I'm thinking abount to implement during Early Access. Or maybe some kind of cataloguing system, where players can just fish and catalog all of the 2.000 fish if they don't want to "finish" the game. At this time, you can only catalogue/storage the legendary fish, and finishing the game gives you a little house on the surface. I believe the next step is to use this house obtained as a craft and storage (catalogue) place. This would shift the game from a RPG to some kind of idle fishing/sandbox game, but it would be only possible to experience after you finish the story. Thanks again for your contribution.

Can you use your gun to catch fish as well?

No. The gun is intended to kill sharks and land creatures - pigs, cows, horses, skeletons, ghosts and also giant moths (so far, I'm still working on the creatures and balancing them).

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Idea for crafting with fish:

1. Cooking. If your PC has wife/husband (or acquaintance in town opening a restaurant) who can cook, that's a source of demand for high quality fish right there. Cooking with high quality fish give quality dish with good buff, good price, good fame.

2. Alchemy. Good alchemist can make oil out of fish with oil quality (or spice, like nuoc mam, fish sauce). Very great alchemist can make super rare items out of super rare fish. Like, only they can produce ambergris which come from instestine of whale (or oily fish), and ambergris is top quality alchemical ingredient to make top quality perfume.

3. Craftsman. Certain craftmans can make certain rare and quality item from super rare quality fish. Say, shark fin as a side dish. Caviar. Whalebone corset. musical instruments from fish part etc...

Great demand will make fishing more attractive.

Norfleet

No. The gun is intended to kill sharks and land creatures - pigs, cows, horses, skeletons, ghosts and also giant moths (so far, I'm still working on the creatures and balancing them).
Well, you should add this. Shooting fish in a barrel is totally legit, as we have since learned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom