Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's our current lead graphics artist. Seeing shit is his job.
Also, coincidentally, he's the person who made the Sassau monastery.

Is the artist responsible for the 2D graphics (the map, book illuminations, monastery wall paintings etc.) still with you? If so pay him with gold, coke and hookers, don't let him leave.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
That's our current lead graphics artist. Seeing shit is his job.
Also, coincidentally, he's the person who made the Sassau monastery.

Is the artist responsible for the 2D graphics (the map, book illuminations, monastery wall paintings etc.) still with you? If so pay him with gold, coke and hookers, don't let him leave.
All of it was done by several artists. Some left, some stay. I don't know who worked on specifics but I think like 90% of the 2D (incl. icons, codex, UI elements) was done by the concept department. They are all so incredibly talented and consistent in following chosen art styles that I cannot distinguish work of one from another.
If I'm not mistaken the map was largely done by our former art director and concept lead Miki Podrocký. He left like a year after release.

Fighting the camera when trying to fight multiple enemies was terrible, and yeah, the 1V1 was mostly fine, but then the game threw camps full of enemies at you.

Get a few mace levels under your belt and you can just faceroll through everything anyway.

It was a fun game with much eurojank(and I mean that in the best way here). Archery sucked, sorry but it did, and the potions kinda ruined the whole "realism" theme, but whatever.

Good for you for making the game you wanted to make though. Nice job overall!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It was a fun game with much eurojank(and I mean that in the best way here). Archery sucked, sorry but it did, and the potions kinda ruined the whole "realism" theme, but whatever.
You mean you'd prefer to wait three months IRL if you get wounded or up to a year in case of severe wounds?

Would you also prefer to actually die IRL if Henry is nabbed?

You mean you'd prefer to wait three months IRL if you get wounded or up to a year in case of severe wounds?

Would you also prefer to actually die IRL if Henry is nabbed?
No, just like I don't sit and wait in front of my computer for 8 hours when I have henry sleep for that long.

"What, you don't think a dude shooting fireballs out of his ass is realistic? Then I guess you want to control each and every leg muscle when making henry walk"

Look, I can make retarded non sequiturs too.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
How would YOU heal a severely wounded Henry?
iu

Look, I can make retarded non sequiturs too.

Instead of using words you don't understand how about suggesting an alternative solution?

Bedrest, just like what's already in the game and what most people used for healing. Not magic potions.

In real life, i realize a person doesn't sleep 8 hours and heal from a critically wounded state. But resting eventually does lead to healing, so I'm ok with the time compression (same reason I'm ok pressing sleep and then it's morning, instead of making me sit and wait 8 hours IRL. It's a fine compromise that doesn't immediately break immersion. It'd be more realistic if Henry were crippled for life after taking a bad sword hit, but that'd be a very unfun game so it's an acceptable compromise.

Magic potions that heal your wounds aren't based on anything in real life. They're based on fantasy tropes. If the potions were just poisons and drugs with temporary stat boosts, that'd be fine, but healing your sword wounds is silly. In a game that is all about the realism they stick out like a sore thumb.

Archery sucked, sorry but it did, and the potions kinda ruined the whole "realism" theme, but whatever.

Why did the archery suck?
No indicator where you're aiming and the annoying swaying back and forth. The fact that backpedaling and shooting enemies in the face was a viable strategy. It was both annoying to use and too powerful.

Henry should have sucked with a bow, that makes sense. So why are you making Henry use a bow?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bedrest, just like what's already in the game and what most people used for healing. Not magic potions.

In real life, i realize a person doesn't sleep 8 hours and heal from a critically wounded state. But resting eventually does lead to healing, so I'm ok with the time compression

Are you absolutely sure your alter-ego in a parallel universe, where a critically wounded Henry fully heals during an 8 hour sleep, doesn't complain this system "ruins the whole realism theme"?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Instead of using words you don't understand how about suggesting an alternative solution?

Let him be eaten by pigs, and create a clone.

How else?

In real life, i realize a person doesn't sleep 8 hours and heal from a critically wounded state. But resting eventually does lead to healing, so I'm ok with the time compression

Are you absolutely sure your alter-ego in a parallel universe, where a critically wounded Henry fully heals during an 8 hour sleep, doesn't complain this system "ruins the whole realism theme"?
Well that's already in the existing current universe version of this game. And since I didn't complain about it, as I don't want to sit for hours watching someone's wounds scab over and heal, I figure alternate universe me probably would also not complain about it, assuming everything else is relatively similar.

Did you think that potions were the only way to heal in this game?

And since I didn't complain about it
Well then there's the obvious question why does superhealing with potions ruin the realism for you but not superhealing by sleeping?
I already answered that but let's go around one more time.

KCD is a video game whose chief purpose is to be fun to play. The setting of this video game is a semi historical one, based firmly in a real time and place. The devs made it known that the game was supposed to be relatively close to real life, not high fantasy, no magic or ninjas, etc.

The route of complete and total realism is obviously not suitable for the main goal of the entire medium. It wouldn't be fun to have to rest for 8 months in real life because your character broke his leg.

However, realism is still a goal of the setting. So while a wizard who heals you would work for the medium(video games), it doesn't fit the setting.

A good compromise, and a very common one, is that natural healing is insanely effective and fast. You could say 8 months passed instead of one day, but then the time span of the game gets ruined.

KCD went with this. You can sleep and heal to full.

However, for some reason they also said "Also you can just drink magic potions to heal". This seems contrary to the setting, and doesn't even solve a problem. I think they undercut their own design by including a fantasy trope that doesn't fit the setting, and seems like it was included to ape TES alchemy.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Kingdom Come II: Retribution is my preferred name. Also 1403: Retribution was one of the early proposed names for KCD.
It is fake because of the Unreal engine thing. At least I hope so. I prefer Cryengine's look and feel. Although from developmental perspective Unreal is likely much friendlier.

Shin

Cipher
And since I didn't complain about it
Well then there's the obvious question why does superhealing with potions ruin the realism for you but not superhealing by sleeping?
I already answered that but let's go around one more time.

KCD is a video game whose chief purpose is to be fun to play. The setting of this video game is a semi historical one, based firmly in a real time and place. The devs made it known that the game was supposed to be relatively close to real life, not high fantasy, no magic or ninjas, etc.

The route of complete and total realism is obviously not suitable for the main goal of the entire medium. It wouldn't be fun to have to rest for 8 months in real life because your character broke his leg.

However, realism is still a goal of the setting. So while a wizard who heals you would work for the medium(video games), it doesn't fit the setting.

A good compromise, and a very common one, is that natural healing is insanely effective and fast. You could say 8 months passed instead of one day, but then the time span of the game gets ruined.

KCD went with this. You can sleep and heal to full.

However, for some reason they also said "Also you can just drink magic potions to heal". This seems contrary to the setting, and doesn't even solve a problem. I think they undercut their own design by including a fantasy trope that doesn't fit the setting, and seems like it was included to ape TES alchemy.

In my interpretation, 'medicine' (aka magic healing potions) is almost as much an abstraction of how 'healing' works in reality as 'resting' (aka magic beds and pillows). Then again, the entire health system including the health bar is an abstraction of actual health. All these systems are so deeply embedded into video-game tradition that I honestly don't even consciously consider them unrealistic even when playing a semi 'realistic' game such as KCD.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Smejki has said that they'll stick with CryEngine and in the job offers experience and knowledge of CryEngine is preferred.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom