Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Ivan

Arcane
Obligatory NoClip. looking forward to picking up this title during the xmas sale

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I wonder which PC version he played (there are at least two AFAIK). When Zoom was still selling the game there were separate UK and USA versions, but they were added after i bought it from there so i'm not sure which one i played. However the one i did had the rearming levels that he said were missing.

Also i made a modified DOSBox to run the game last year, you can download it from this video's description. What it does is to limit the writes to the first byte in the VGA memory so that there aren't more than a few per second, essentially adding a framecap when combined with setting up DOSBox to run at maximum speed (dynamic core and max cycles). A modified configuration file is included for the Zoom release i played with, though i'm not sure if it is valid with the later releases - but the commands are the same.

If you play that game I also recommend using something like the novert TSR to disable vertical mouse motion.

toughasnails

The last time I played Alien Trilogy it was the PSX version via emulator with widescreen and geometry hacks. Basically I was playing the game with high internal resolution, proper widescreen and with trademark PSX texture warping minimized. it's the closest thing to what I'd have if the game had a modern port on PC. Other than being forced to play with gamepad of course.
What I would like is that someone like Night Dive picks up those games and give them their usual treatment but I suppose that the rights are probably hell to sort out.

Ash

Arcane
Alien Trilogy is the best Alien game (and it's not even particularly good, just good for what it is).

toughasnails

The first one fascinates me much more for the combination of what it is and on what platform and when it was released. It's an FPS with procedurally generated arenas and weapon customisation, sort of like Ziggurat, Tower of Guns and similar games. You still get that sort of indie FPSs on Steam, but the height of their popularity I'd say was half a dozen years ago and before the current boomer shooter boom.
Coded Arms looks like that... in 2005... on PSP... by a Japanese dev. it;s fascinating for how much out of place and time it appears to be.
Granted it looks painful to play even after the guy tried to turn controls into usual dual analog console FPS ones. Part of that seems to be due to the platform but other seems to be the lack of experience with FPSs on the side of Japanese developers at that time. it looks like they tried to imitate the fast paced arena gameplay of then recent games like Painkiller but then made your aim artificially inaccurate when you move. Imagine playing Painkiller but having to stand still in order to aim at and actually shoot anything...

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alien Trilogy is the best Alien game (and it's not even particularly good, just good for what it is).

If you like Alien Trilogy, you might also like Aliens Colonial Marines (don't forget to fix the AI bug), you can find the collection (all DLCs, etc) for ~5 euros or so during sales. Despite the butthurt and memes, it is a decent Aliens-themed shooter with several shootouts to the films. The only downside (that i haven't seen many mention so i don't know how important that would be) is that the weapon upgrades, etc feel a bit too "gamey" that take a bit from the atmosphere.

Personally i bought it after making a playthrough of Alien Trilogy last year and was still in the mood for FPS alien shooting.

Riskbreaker

I do appreciate that game but you can't help but feel that they've tried to do too much at once without persisting or excelling at any of it.
When the game begins, you feel as if you're playing a first person survival horror: you are stuck in this dimly lit, sprawling ancient mansion with who knows what else inside, the storm is brewing outside, the supplies appear to be limited. But then, eventually, the game just gives up on tension and resource management, and on any thoughtful encounter design. You get not one but SEVERAL weapons with infinite recharging ammo, including that devastating steampunkish gun thing, and the game is throwing buncha enemies at you. It's just tedious.

Still I do appreciate it. It certainly has killer atmosphere and some of the visually most pleasing environments in any 90s 2.5d game.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Not a Joseph Anderson but still something - Action Button / Tim Rogers

it's multiple parts
9h

Well, what's your opinion on it?
Guy is too much for me, tbh.
And that's coming from someone who can (or maybe could) handle JPAnderson, matthewmatosis, neverknowsbest etc pretty alright.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Since there's no Mandy thread I must soil decent trash bin with this garbage

It's a long, prosperous ride
Daily reminder y'all need Jesus

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Conspiracy theorists are dumb and easily manipulated, but at the same time everything is a conspiracy.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

Neat video, reminds me of Ross Scott's video (though this one is focused only about the "prediction" topics) and i liked the focus on the Aquinas bit because indeed it is something that most people seem to ignore (IIRC Ross mentioned it and how it'd be impractical to happen, however i think he missed the part where something doesn't need to happen 100% for it to have big practical consequences - kinda how often people tend to argue if Microsoft or Apple or whatever are or are not really a monopoly and ignore the actual power they have even if they are not). Sometimes i wonder if people who supposedly know about and use computers really understand what they are capable of, lack imagination to think of all the abuses or just willfully ignore all the potential negatives. I know programmers who took a while to make an association with the fact that storing your IP address and a time stamp accurate down to the second needs just 16 bytes and right now the everyday person can buy a tiny storage device of the size of two fingers that can contain 256GB of data for the price of a decent pizza. This has enough data to store all the computers (not just sites, the internet isn't just the web) that five people connect over their entire lifetimes with accuracy down to the second.

Cazzeris

I find amusing how the first post was by an edgy retard saying there are no good YT channels, and now the thread has 56 fucking pages worth of recommendations

flyingjohn

Arcane

One of the worst deus ex conspiracy analysis videos i have ever seen.
Skims over anything worth talking and starts applying liberal garbage thoughts the moment there is a ounce of interest.
Being this wrong and useless must be a art form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom