Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
I think the 'choosing your mythic path' section speaks to a consensus. The Mythic Path system is an experiment of Owlcat's. And it's fair to say that an Enhanced Edition of the game could use some changes.

Most important of all is how Mythic Rank ups need to be paced better. There are long stretches of time through the game where you get no rank ups only to get 2 or 3 ranks one after the other. This means that the more frontloaded paths reign supreme.

In fact Angel and Lich are so frontloaded they get carried by Spellbook Merging, but that's not even all they get. Special mechanics like the lich powers and sword of heaven mean that Angel and Lich are feature complete entire acts before Aeon or Demon even gets going.

Every other path needs to get used to the idea that whatever power they manage to acquire by Ranks 4-5 will define most of the experience and that's a shame. Trickster has a great many impossible things that it can do. But at the end of the day, 9 times out of 10 you'll use Perception 2's broken ass feats to buff your entire party. Mobility 2 and Trickery's dispel can sorta compete but even then, that is it. Azata is in similar spot, only difference being that they are designed to synergize with character classes more directly. If I had a penny for every Azata player or Trickster player who needs to be reminded the 2 latter superpowers and 2 Greater Tricks come about so late they might as well not exist I'd have about 27 pennies. But only because I'm not overly social.

Even so those two are way better off than anybody else. If the latter powers of Azata and Trickster might as well not exist, then the entirety of Aeon and Demon never get going. Hell, Gold Dragon and Swarm are especially fucked. Devil is only somewhat better off because they can coast on having been Azata.

Every path that isn't Angel or Lich could use some tweaking to their progression. Every path that isn't Angel/Lich/Azata/Trickster need to be overhauled. Especially Aeon.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
1. It is not Starcraft and will never be.
2. It should not be played as an RTS. If you were able to read you would have noticed the mention of the 'V' button. This is important.
3. There is no third dimension in the game. Nothing can be jumped over or stepped over, only walked around. For those who understand that pathfinding becomes way more predictable.
Errr... what.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Whom of the companions do you use to brew potions?
I don't really brew potions but you can make Woljif into an incense synthesizer, which will give you potions, aoe alchemy bonus to hit, and infusions.
This is exactly what I've done - but I don't like his range of spells. That is why I'm asking.

Thanks for the idea anyway.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think the 'choosing your mythic path' section speaks to a consensus. Unfair or not the Mythic Path system is an experiment and there was a lot of uncharted water to cover. An Enhanced Edition of the game could use some changes.

Most important of all is how Mythic Rank ups need to be paced better. There are long stretches of time through the game where you get no rank ups only to get 2 or 3 ranks one after the other. This means that the more frontloaded paths reign supreme.

In fact Angel and Lich are so frontloaded they get carried by Spellbook Merging, but that's not even all they get. Special mechanics like the lich powers and sword of heaven mean that Angel and Lich are feature complete entire acts before Aeon or Demon even gets going.

Every other path needs to get used to the idea that whatever power they manage to acquire by Ranks 4-5 will define most of the experience and that's a shame. Trickster has a great many impossible things that it can do. But at the end of the day, 9 times out of 10 you'll use Perception 2's broken ass feats to buff your entire party. Mobility 2 and Trickery's dispel can sorta compete but even then, that is it. Azata is in similar spot, only difference being that they are designed to synergize with character classes more directly. If I had a penny for every Azata player or Trickster player who needs to be reminded the 2 latter superpowers and 2 Greater Tricks come about so late they might as well not exist I'd have about 27 pennies. But only because I'm not overly social.

Even so those two are way better off than anybody else. If the latter powers of Azata and Trickster might as well not exist, then the entirety of Aeon and Demon never get going. Hell, Gold Dragon and Swarm are especially fucked. Devil is only somewhat better off because they can coast on having been Azata.

Every path that isn't Angel or Lich could use some tweaking to their progression. Every path that isn't Angel/Lich/Azata/Trickster need to be overhauled. Especially Aeon.

As I understand, TableTop Tweaks has some modifications for Aeon, which make the path not overpowered, but more reasonable/worthy. Still inferior to the best ones, but not bad.

Stoned Ape

Savant

The first playthrough I did was Aeon->Gold Dragon on Core difficulty.

My character was a Sage Sorcerer (17) Hellknight Signifer (3) with the abyssal second bloodline.

While he was an Aeon I found the path enjoyable to play and got decent use out of the Aeon powers and spells, which gave me some different stuff to experiment with.

When I got to Gold Dragon I felt like I had been horribly nerfed. For something you had to unlock and wait for, it was tremendously disappointing. At rank 9 it was a bit of an improvement but because I had to complete the Gold Dragon fetch quests to unlock it I was almost at the end of Chapter 5 when I got it. Overall, I got something close to the character I wanted to play when the only parts of the game left to complete were the Enigma, Laughing Cave and Threshold.

I've still not played as an Angel or a Lich so far, I imagine I'll probably have to think about playing on a higher difficulty if they're as strong as suggested.

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
If they fix trickster tricks, it should help it a lot, especially combining knowledge arcana + knowledge lore nature 3 (kingmaker) items.

In theory you would start getting belts of perfection +9, steelwind +4...

Also imho they should let Reuse magic device be like Use any item in BG2 (if you read the description it seems they meant it to be like it but it doesn't work right now).

Crit feats are awesome but you still need to hit to crit, comes online after a lot and needs you to sacrifice lot of feats for it.

Swarm still seem the worst path.

Sunri

Liturgist
There's a problem when even Reddit thinks you're retarded.
I took my stand against censorship
7IryIgY.png
Woah. You went on Reddit and demanded Lambkin romance route? I applaud your bravery, you mad lad.
I mean there is demand for it i saw some topics on steam
Jnk0Q5q.jpg

volklore

Arcane
The main problem is the rate at which you gain mythic levels, unless they change that (which they probably won't) it really won't do much. Apart from leveling ability acquisition amon paths. I feel like every path should get a mid-level ability at M4. So demon should get a mid-level demon aspect (and more rage/day), and Aeon should have super high scaling DC for gaze. The main issue with Aeon is that Gaze is awesome but the save DC is trash so the enemy portion of the gaze never lands, either the game should itemize loads of items to increase gaze DC or they should find a way to increase this DC so that it can land on hard at least.

Also on another note : I did Vavakia vanguard and I did not get affected by the fear aura that goes through immunities that everyone was talking about. I did fail a few saves too. I am not playing on the beta patch so it isn't what's helping. As far as fear immunity is concerened I only had Heroic Invocation (lvl 9 spell) on so I assume that's what did the trick. Edit : It could also be Unbreakeable bond from the azata spellbook, but I would bet that vanilla spells are better implemented than mythic ones.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
As I understand, TableTop Tweaks has some modifications for Aeon, which make the path not overpowered, but more reasonable/worthy. Still inferior to the best ones, but not bad.
Contains the following changes/fixes:
Disables Natural Armor Stacking
Disables Polymorph Stacking
Disables Canny Defense Stacking
Disables Monk AC Stacking with other untyped of same source
Feats
Crane wing now requires a free hand
how can a mod be so based
Also imho they should let Reuse magic device be like Use any item in BG2 (if you read the description it seems they meant it to be like it but it doesn't work right now).
I'm unsure of that.
You have learned of a way to use items so delicately that the use is completely unnoticed. Wands you use no longer lose charges for use and you can equip any magical items possible, regardless of requirements
contrast it with the wording of Azata's all skilled:
Azata gains a bonus equal to her mythic rank to all skill checks. Whenever she makes a skill Encyclopedia:Check, she rolls the die twice, and chooses the best result. She is proficient with all types of weapons and armor, and can wear and wield any equipment she wants.
The whole UMD tree is focused on triggers. Scrolls and Wands. I actually think that side ability was just meant to let you equip wands and scrolls even if you don't any UMD points at all. Which is a pointless thing to do since you still need to roll your skill to use the scroll or wand. Rather than saying they likely intended UMD2 to be a type of 'Use any item', one should argue in favor of changing this design decision.
Crit feats are awesome but you still need to hit to crit, comes online after a lot
But so does everything else. If Mythic Rank 5 had a Greater Trick in it I'd agree. I wouldn't pick Perception 2 since that would mean that I'd be forced to grab Perception 3 right after and that is the single worst mythic trick of all time. But as things stand you'll have the one Improved Trick and two Mythic Tricks for a long ass time. And you better make it count. Your casters get the CNS metamagic, which is gonna be great even if Owlcat remove CNS stacking from the game. Your full BAB guys get started on Improved Criticals asap. It's way too much mileage to ignore. Mobility 2 and Trickery 2 are the only real competition here.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I racked up 10 times Julia said "RPG game" during that interview. Her awesomesauce position of awesomeness and sexiness is now severely threatened.

I also liked A LOT, the part where they discussed why people in Central and Eastern Europe love the PC RPG experience more than the console one. Spoiler alert: early 90's it was easier to buy an expensive PC, but then pirate literally every single game out there, than buy a cheap console and have to buy expensive games for it, every single time.

Delterius

Arcane
Spoiler alert: early 90's it was easier to buy an expensive PC, but then pirate literally every single game out there, than buy a cheap console and have to buy expensive games for it, every single time.
The inverse happened in South America. In Brazil at least the market for pirated games was so strong and cheap that you compared buying very expensive over-taxed PC parts and a less expensive possibly less over taxed if not tax dodging console, and pirating every game out there. Better internet connections, Steam, MMOs, and stronger anti piracy measures from console companies is what changed the picture.

So in order of who has the highest to lowest point buy among the companions
Arueshalae 69+ PB
Galfrey 49 PB
Lann 34 PB
Woljif 32 PB
Camellia 32 PB
Regill 30 PB
Sosiel 30 PB
Seelah 28 PB
Daeran 27 PB
Greybor 27 PB
Ember 25 PB
Wenduag 25 PB
Nenio 20 PB
your succubus gf is not only more buff than you, so is the tiefling twink, the manlet, and the serial killer romance novelist

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Kinda weird that Minagho
does not have any comment on Staunton turned into undead or even being in same party :?

volklore

Arcane
So I completed all the domino puzzles, and they were atrocious. Took me a headscratching amount of time to realize the exterior tiles were only determined symbol exclusibity and that order did not matter. Now I am trying to solve the heart of mystery one and I have no goddamn clue what the logic is supposed to be here. I decided to go pick the solution online, but even with the solution under my eyes, I just can't figure this shit out.

Efe

Erudite
what does zen archer need dex for

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom