Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old Monster Hunter vs New Monster Hunter

Viata

Arcane
I'm looking for a game that I can play over and over again it seems Monster Hunter seems to be this case. So is online mandatory in Monster Hunter: World? As in, there are things I can only do online(some bosses are impossible to beat in single player) or something like that? Sadly, my internet is not good enough for playing online.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I'm looking for a game that I can play over and over again it seems Monster Hunter seems to be this case. So is online mandatory in Monster Hunter: World? As in, there are things I can only do online(some bosses are impossible to beat in single player) or something like that? Sadly, my internet is not good enough for playing online.
Events, co op with others, new updates for monsters, and if the rumors are true about the expansion, G-rank.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Events, co op with others, new updates for monsters, and if the rumors are true about the expansion, G-rank.
You only need to be online for the updates, you don't actually have to play online to enjoy the content. Monster Hunter World is very solo friendly.

sullynathan

Arcane
Playing online is more fun but what isn't fun is when the game robs you for playing with other people

Perkel

Arcane
well well well, i managed to get it working via LAN
crazy russians are at the top of their game

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If it's money you want then quest Zenny rewards won't cut it anyway. Best way to earn cash is to do hunts and sell the monster resources and use the Bandit Mantle as well.

Sentinel

Arcane
I got MHGU on sale after playing 3rd and FU because I was done with World, and I've been having a blast. Honestly it just feels like I get to the hunt faster despite the loading times, the equipment all looks way better than in World (especially weapons), crafting feels more impactful because you have to go out and get the materials yourself, weapons all have focused movesets and purposes, and the hubs are all compact and practically designed, the skill system forces you to make choices with trade offs...

In World you run all over the place chasing after the monster, the equipment all looks the same without any special FX on high tier gear, some craftables are completely useless because the monsters they're useful against arent in the game, gathering lost all importance almost and the game automatically crafts shit for you, some weapons have such initially complex movesets with multiple gauges that I couldn't even tell if I was playing DMC or Monster Hunter, the hubs are huge and it's a pain to travel all over the place everytime to get to where you want to be... At some point in World I felt like I was playing an MMORPG. Nothing mattered at all other than getting to my target as quickly as possible and getting the kill. There was no preparation involved whatsoever.

I think the only improvement World brought was doing away with the Key Quest system and instead explicitly dividing the game into a Main Quest/side quest structure, and having a clearer Monster Log with the hitzones and all that. For now, its (lack of) monster variety along with the issues I mentioned above prevent me from enjoying it any further, and the direction Capcom are going with it with the last dragon fight which is taken straight out of an mmo encounter (with tanks, dps and support roles in all but name) make me think I'm not sure I'll be interested in future games if that is the direction they'll go in.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No loading screens between areas are among the most notable improvements that brought World to the franchise.

I beat mhTri from Wii up to village quests lategame, underwater was a pain in the ass yet I recall grinding lagiacrus anyways. However, I Don't know how much improved on the ultimate version tho.

Relic hunting in mh4u is the worst offender of grinding I've ever seen son far on this franchise. Leveling a quest over an over up to 150 for custom gear, was pretty much a bait for OCD players. Frenzy mechanics are somewhat interesting, at least a mile times better than hyper monsters from generations.

Speaking of which, in mh generations the devs replaced relic hunting with the deviants. An example of a nice idea poorly executed:

These monsters are supposed to be elusive variants that survived hunter encounters, not a pile of content repeated over a series of unlockable quests from I to X. And all their gear requires tickets, so you end up grinding the "rare and elusive" creature several times, it's so retarded that you can fight more than one in the same quests. Ive only bothered to farm silverwind narga and snowbaron because playing the gimmicky aerial Insect G is pretty fun, and evade extender is quite nice as utility skill.

A better approach IMO would have been to implement then as some kind of special unstable encounter through High and G rank quests or something.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
No loading screens between areas are among the most notable improvements that brought World to the franchise.
This ended up being way less of a big deal than I expected though. You end up fast travelling between camps a bunch anyways, so there's still loading screens, and it doesn't change monster behaviour because the cunts won't follow you out of an area 90% of the time. So you still can't lure something into a trap you set in another zone, or out of awkward terrain.

Zerth

Arbiter
This ended up being way less of a big deal than I expected though. You end up fast travelling between camps a bunch anyways, so there's still loading screens, and it doesn't change monster behaviour because the cunts won't follow you out of an area 90% of the time. So you still can't lure something into a trap you set in another zone, or out of awkward terrain.

Welp, haven't had the chance to play worlds yet, so I didn't knew how was it in a practical sense. At least you can clean ur own set traps now, in generations ultimate.

Perkel

Arcane

Monster needs to be enraged to follow you, though if you abuse it monster will not follow you after few times, some monsters also actively avoid certain places.

Perkel

Arcane
nice 2G was not released outside of japan. Also 2nd had neet season mechanic when main village theme changed with time.

dacencora

Really, if you're getting into the series, just start with monster hunter world. It's the best game in the series and it's far more noob friendly than the rest, not that the rest of them are particularly against new players, they just have high level amounts of tedium mixed with a lot more grinding.

For anyone who has not tried the series yet, I had written off the series as World and Rise didn't click with me at all. But I happened to have a cart of 4 Ultimate for my 3DS (bought it second hand a few years ago and it came with a bunch of carts) and it clicked for me right away. So if you couldn't see the appeal of Rise or World, you may want to give 4U a shot, because it is a lot of fun.

nice 2G was not released outside of japan. Also 2nd had neet season mechanic when main village theme changed with time.
"Seasons" were exclusive to dos.

This game is freedom unite patched to replace the awful frontier battle themes with the dos ones for the 2nd gen maps. It's called Portable 2ndG in Japan. Just like portable 3rd would have been called freedom 3 had it been localized.

The guy worked on the Japanese version in order to add some exclusive content that FU didn't have such as JUMP teostra, a super powerful version of the monster that you have to kill in one go (no repel) and G rank one horned diablos which was only on high rank in FU.
They're the hardest quests in the game alongside arena double super rajang.

Zerth

Arbiter
There is a relatively active P2P server on VPN called https://hunstermonter.net/hunsterverse_new.php focused on MHF1, MHF2,MHFU and MHP3rd. Each game has 2 public lobbies with 24 gathering hall each, and 1 private for donators. Cheaters are heavily filtered, at least so far I haven't encountered a single one. On Discord there are also channels where you can meet others and play other MH titles, but the actual server is for PSP titles.

I'm playing though Tri right now since Loc Lac has been restored. So far an excellently paced game with high difficulty since it doesn't have that stupid base 50 armor nonsense that 3U "added" among all things.
Qurupeco is for exemple a very good fight that's much better than Kut Ku with a nice variety of moves. It can status, heal, use a flame attack on you, dance, and even call monsters.
Have heard that Alatreon and Barioth are much harder since they have different patterns.
It's definitely the hardest (and the best) 3rd gen game and has many things that you don't find in 3U.And based on what i have played, i think it's a very good first game before playing FU and 4U.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
honestly having played original cartridge mh4u wich is considered by many the "best" MH, until almost G rank, and having played IB up til Alatreon ( never tried fatty) and emulated Rise , i rank them in this order:
IB ( World) >> MH4U > Rise

World is definitely the best MH for several reasons:
-Biggest and most detailed world with intricate and open maps with very detailed and immersive environments.
-each weapon is unique and more complete and fun than their older counterpart in old MH, with a lot of QOL changes
-QOL changes like the bug tracking system , wich is very cool and handy without breaking immersion
-a lot of info previously only available on external wiki info now in game encyclopedia

cons of world:
-clutch claw
-base game too easy compared to mh4u, but still harder than that joke that is rise difficulty
-clutch claw
-armors and weapons design lacking and too "realistic" . some models are recycled too many times
-It introduced the resupply system. Aside from some special quests, now you have infinite amount of health potions you can use in a quest. This trivialize a lot of fights if you exploit it and are mediocre to not triple cart vs random mobs
-i have already mentioned clutch claw?

still the best and most complete MH game , very fun and worth every penny, especially Iceborne where the shit (difficulty wise) hits the fan

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I know that I'm a minority but I really like the swimming in Tri/3U. Movement was a bit slow, but overall I think fighting against the monsters in 360º was more interesting that the climbing mechanics in 4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom