Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Invincible - first-person retro future sci-fi thriller based on Stanislaw Lem

Beowulf

Arcane
The codex is now getting excited over walking simulators? True incline!

I consider "walking sims" like Alien Isolation and Soma as good games and if this one will be on par with those, than yeah, you could call me excited.
But I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, they have still a long way to go before the release.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I got excited for some reason. This trailer looks like something Arkane should have developed instead of Deathloop and the other abomination.

Edit1: youtube video description
Remember, there are consequences to the actions you take. Where will your choices lead you?
While the first questions are answered, new ones appear.

Edit2: CyberWhale you are a moron.
This trailer is probably the most* interesting trailer I've seen this year.
*with the exception of Elden Ring

Do you lack any taste?

Edit3: there is another video from these guys

Edit4: no dangerhairs in the development team
https://www.starwardindustries.com/

Last edited:

toughasnails

I consider "walking sims" like Alien Isolation and Soma as good games and if this one will be on par with those, than yeah, you could call me excited.
I guess Soma is a borderline case given that it has an actual walking sim mode (in all but name) but by no stretch of imagination could you classify Alien isolation as a walking sim.

Beowulf

Arcane
I guess Soma is a borderline case given that it has an actual walking sim mode (in all but name) but by no stretch of imagination could you classify Alien isolation as a walking sim.

Hence the "".

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
ss_323e5abfca7f610743b84991a5fd33fe98a5d24e.1920x1080.jpg

261887373_4590098967748193_2577596106339230105_n.jpg
ss_210615ad1335b6ed1544d7cb8e10029e5ddfb1cd.1920x1080.jpg

ss_bda97e2f71f3cdde3306f600f4b8cae35935fd67.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm curious how this will turn out. Based on the videos it seems promising so far. Hopefully they won't dumb it down with quest markers and shit.

I distinctly remember reading The Invincible as a kid, I just couldn't put it down. Decades later, I'm still thinking about the implications of the concepts introduced in the story. Probably time to re-read it again!

As to the female lead character, this is an adaptation, so why not? I guess when Lem wrote this women on a space mission was something quite unthinkable, hence the all-male cast. But then we got Ripley, didn't we, and I don't remember anybody complaining about that back in the day, we just thought she was badass. In any case, if the game will introduce more people to Lem's stories, and maybe a few will even go and pick up the books, that can only be a good thing.

Btan0

Literate
As to the female lead character, this is an adaptation, so why not?

Considering every piece of media is consumed by politics these days, I have a hard time believing they did a gender swap purely because it's "interesting" and "different". It's the equivalent of making an anti-jewish cartoon in the 1940's and claiming it has no context in regards to the current day politics. It's a real shame because I'm sure there are good games with gender swapped protags, but it's very difficult for others and myself to get past the messaging and intentions behind such creative decisions. Besides it's always in one direction anyway; you're never going to see a gender flipped Joan of Arc story.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As to the female lead character, this is an adaptation, so why not?

Considering every piece of media is consumed by politics these days, I have a hard time believing they did a gender swap purely because it's "interesting" and "different". It's the equivalent of making an anti-jewish cartoon in the 1940's and claiming it has no context in regards to the current day politics. It's a real shame because I'm sure there are good games with gender swapped protags, but it's very difficult for others and myself to get past the messaging and intentions behind such creative decisions. Besides it's always in one direction anyway; you're never going to see a gender flipped Joan of Arc story.

But what is the message? It's an honest question. Women can be astronauts too... well, yeah, if they wanted to, I guess? Don't see much of a problem with that.

According to this, 18% of protagonists are female in all games in 2020:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/871912/character-gender-share-video-games/

Given that 50% of the population is female, I fail to see a problem with that number increasing? Having said that, it's stupid when people are trying to hit 50/50 ratios, that's crazy... I guess the intention with game studios is that they are hoping more females would be interested in the games with female protags, so it's done in the hope of increasing sales, I assume. Which is... okay, as long as the game is good? I don't think they said they're going to do an exact 1:1 replica of the book, that's impossible for a game anyway.

I guess in general the "best" would be if you could select between male and female protags, but that means 2x work for the dev team (voicework, models, etc).

TBH, I like playing female characters for a change from time to time (e.g. Syberia games were good).

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It signals that the developers are cucks, and that's enough for me to discount this game.

Given that 50% of the population is female

None of them are gamers.

You still don't get that men and women aren't the same and that women don't give a flying fuck about male entertainment. They are not wired to care, all this catering serves no purpose whatsoever except making the developers look like they are beating a dead horse to a bloody pulp desperately clinging to an ideology that has failed and cannot be salvaged anymore.

It's already bad enough that every new game has to have a female protagonist now (including all those so called "retro" boomer shooters, because female protagonists is what Doom, Duke Nukem etc were always known for), but now they are even going as far as gender swap male characters? Fuck you, and fuck them.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It signals that the developers are cucks, and that's enough for me to discount this game.

Given that 50% of the population is female

None of them are gamers.

You still don't get that men and women aren't the same and that women don't give a flying fuck about male entertainment. They are not wired to care, all this catering serves no purpose whatsoever except making the developers look like they are beating a dead horse to a bloody pulp desperately clinging to an ideology that has failed and cannot be salvaged anymore.

It's already bad enough that every new game has to have a female protagonist now (including all those so called "retro" boomer shooters, because female protagonists is what Doom, Duke Nukem etc were always known for), but now they are even going as far as gender swap male characters? Fuck you, and fuck them.

Wow, so much passion. You too have a nice day, go enjoy some "male entertainment" :)

Btan0

Literate
Women can be astronauts too... well, yeah, if they wanted to, I guess? Don't see much of a problem with that.
How much more female empowerment shit do we need? It's not working, women aren't becoming any happier. Sorry, but people are more interested in masculine protagonists. It is what it is.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Did they say what genre this is? Screenshots look like walking sim.

I would give my left arm for real retro future games. This does not look like it though.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
TBH, I like playing female characters for a change from time to time (e.g. Syberia games were good).

There is female and then there is female. A large part of my JA2 mercs was female because they were agile and could aim.

If someone made a game with someone like Meltdown (thats basically Misery from Stephen King) I would play it in a second.

But the new games have a zoomer bitch who is entitled, annoying and pretentiously lesbian. This is not only lame and morally wrong but also insulting to most females. In reality such females sit home all day, bitching that their psychotherapy was not approved, they do not solve the problems of the world.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The problem is not a female protagonist. It never was, at least for me. The problem is how, in recent media, female protagonist are often portrayed to be boring dumb monodimensional Mary Sue.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But the new games have a zoomer bitch who is entitled, annoying and pretentiously lesbian. This is not only lame and morally wrong but also insulting to most females. In reality such females sit home all day, bitching that their psychotherapy was not approved, they do not solve the problems of the world.

The problem is not a female protagonist. It never was, at least for me. The problem is how, in recent media, female protagonist are often portrayed to be boring dumb monodimensional Mary Sue.

Yeah I admit I'm not playing many new games, so I haven't experienced what you're talking about. Based on the trailer, the female character in this game seems to be okay, I did not find her bothersome.

But I get what you're saying, if they replaced Rohan with such a female protagonist that would be serious decline. The newest game I played with a female lead character was the Rise of the Tomb Raider and I found her a bit annoying at times. So I think I'm starting to see what your concerns are.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I assumed this was vaporware since I hadn't heard anything about it in a year or two. Glad to see I was wrong. The trailers don't excite me but to be honest even the audiobook of Lem's book didn't do much for me; but of course they used the cheapest, most generic audiobook actor imaginable, a late middle-aged guy I'm sure I heard before in phone menus and similar stuff over the years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom