Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sacred Fire - a psychological RPG about romance, loyalty and revenge - now available on Early Access

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Played some more, and feel as if you sometime have little control over what happens unless you're burning quickly through MPs, and even then OTHER characters can still fail / succeed their rolls... unsure whether or not this is as designed, but it does feel like you're simply at the mercy of the dice gods in some occasion...

Yes, I understand that's to be expected where RNG is involved, but for a game that is basically a visual novel I don't think the player feeling like they have no control over what happens is a good thing. Just my two cents.

Thank you for your feedback, I'm evaluating the experience people are having, and yes this is a reoccurring theme, so I'll think about how to best address that.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Does this game have some manner of inventory system by the way? Can't for the life of me remember if that was ever touched upon.

Yes it does. While I acknowledge there is a deep satisfaction to be found in organizing things neatly :), a traditional drag and drop inventory with slots didn't really feel right for the game.

Instead you select an item category and flip trough the available visual options with the green arrows. The grey arrows flip trough the available customization options for the item you selected (e.g. change colors). And at the bottom you can spend wealth to upgrade your items. Buying an upgrade adds bonuses to the whole item category, so when you unlock a new item and select it because it looks cool, the already bought upgrade are automatically transferred. So basically you get to choose the look you want and you get to invest into the upgrade that fit your play-style, without slowing you down in flipping pages through the story too much.

9Ik5QsC.jpg

NOTE: the current EA build doesn't have visual customization, but it's one of the big updates I'm looking forward to share with you guys

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Please reach out to me via the Kickstarter internal messaging, there I can immediately see your baker e-mail and the key associated with it and address any mix-up that's happened. Thank you for your patience.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/900400/view/3097907147119353033

Hello everyone!

thank you for your patience and support. Based on your feedback the first update adding options to customize the game difficulty and the way dice rolls work is now live.

Those who liked the original experience do not have to worry, the default 'normal' difficulty is the original experience with no changes whatsoever.

Those who expressed desire to customize their experience have now these options:

8a05ed8791c4fe10c0f8d0b6536e259ffb9fb35c.jpg

Easy difficulty
  • Gives you a bonus in all dice rolls
  • Restores all of your HP and MP when you start a new chapter
  • Emotion extremes do not drain control
  • Control recharges motivation faster
Hard difficulty
  • Increases the challenge in all dice rolls
  • Control recharges motivation at a slower pace
Apart from these 3 difficulty settings, we're also introducing additional options for customizing the difficulty of your Sacred Fire experience when creating a game on any difficulty, you can:
  • enable step back: enables a BACK button that allows you to undo your last step in the story
  • enable the weighted dice option to remove bad luck streaks
  • enable Ironman mode where no check-points are getting created: Can you cheat death?
Ironman mode can be unlocked upon completing the game on Hard difficulty without a weighted dice and without the step back option. Of course when playing Ironman mode the step back is disabled.

Apart from that these are the changes made to the game to accommodate your feedback and make the game better:
Improvements:
  • a scene where you can regain hp/mp after the duel with the centurion has been added
  • the ants biting you (scripted hp loss) can be avoided
  • you can turn on subtitles for the intro cut-scene
  • refined Mindset tab Idea boosting tutorial
Fixes:
  • the Mindset and Renown pts exploit bug
  • the MP recharge exploit bug
  • Risk Chain bonus now shows up correctly in the Dice Rolle Result UI tooltip
  • Renown tab tooltip lists now all effects
  • Chapter progress now doesn't pop-up after game reload
  • many minor bug-fixes
Join us on Discord and let us know what you think of these changes!

Salvo

Arcane
This might be one of those few games where I play on easy

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news...qczK1HM5XWt9fexZmhtKSmyeKPfjT5Es9nsnkFdhJD4Xg

Sacred Fire Update: Multiple Save Slots, Shorter Tutorials, And More!
Hi everyone!

Thank you for all the feedback and support, it’s truly appreciated and helps us make the game better.

Sacred Fire's Early Access Journey
After careful evaluation, we decided to prioritize finalizing the story. While the character art is also important (and we’ll address some issues along the way), having the story finalized first will leave us more time to test and implement feedback. Sacred Fire's second and third acts will be released as free major updates. Act II is coming in Q1 2022, and Act III in Q2 of the same year.

9d0c12072bf1266cbd40fd59aeb4e2803fc9dabe.jpg

With the story completed in Q2 2022, our focus will shift to finalizing the art (customization variety, poses, expressions and enemy variety), and localizing (translating) the game into more languages. During Early Access, Sacred Fire will only be available to play in English, but at full release it will have the following languages:

• Slovak
  • German
  • Russian
  • French
  • Spanish
  • Chinese

Czech & Slovak Games Week!
We're also very excited to be a part of the Czech & Slovak Games Week! You may be surprised how many well received games come from this small corner of the world - open world RPGs like Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but also hits like Machinarium or Factorio.

Take a look at the event page! There's a wide variety of amazing games there with deep discounts, so there's something for everyone.

Update: Tutorials and Save Slots
First, we've addressed the number #1 request that will enable you to enjoy more time in the game - we’ve added save slots. This allows you to play multiple different characters and builds without having to say goodbye to your previous protagonist. You can also experiment with certain story choices more freely, without feeling like you've 'messed up' your story.

Second, we've reduced the amount of tutorial pop-ups. Some players felt like there was a bit of an information overload at the start, so we've fine tuned them a bit. We feel like the tutorial is still clear enough to get you started, without being too handhold-ey. Let us know what you think!

b51a49fe711cb7afdef19edafcaa42f2d34e870e.png

And finally, we made some improvements to the flow of the story, and fixed a few bugs (most of them identified and reported by you guys, our community!)

If you were struggling with the amount of tutorial pop-ups before, make sure you give this new update a try! The same goes if you wanted to try some different story choices without losing your main save. Let us know what you think on the Steam forums, or join the community on Discord (and earn the official ‘Bug Hunter’ role)!

poetic

Poetic
Developer

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/900400/view/3136190280744362950
Update: Important Fixes & Improvements!

Today's update contains more bug fixes and improvements based on your feedback in these areas:

User experience, player agency

• Added an icon to choices that loop back, to inform players which choices move the story forward

94142d12bde8a24c777f47941e37271136b7463d.jpg

Character creation

• Improved Blocks attributes and Blocks resistance tooltips
  • Fixed +/- link highlighting not disappearing on hover off
  • Fixed mismatched attributes effect on beauty/menace
  • Fixed preset traits highlighted icons mismatch

Combat

• Berserk eliminates fear, thus your attacks have a higher chance to hit
  • Radical Attack has an NPC dice roll step, so even pulling it off does not guarantee an instant win opportunity
Morl, when not enraged, does not kill you in the duel:

• when you run out of hit points, but you fought well and managed to win his respect, Morl only knocks you out
  • when player uses the flee option, Morl only shouts insults
  • BUT if Morl is enraged he will use deadly force in both situations

Wear Out tactic made more accessible

• Your character's Close call and Effortless defense now both grant +1 MP
  • Your character's Critical miss no longer causes -1 MP, just a penalty to anger/fear

Tutorials

• Separate combat attack, defense, enemy turn start, player turn start texts
  • Hard and soft checks click on choice improvements

Fixes

• Fixed typos and Raven/Luan mixups

e891bab4388380931ee07e799a7d23b2afb19dc6.jpg

And this is what we're planning
for the next update
(there will be a testing build made available, in our #feedback channel on the Discord server next week):

Limit allocation of points to once per chapter

• so the story flow is not interrupted by the temptation to re-allocate the points yet again for yet another dice roll
  • but you never feel like you made a mistake and can’t get your points back
  • + allow to remove wealth upgrades on a story step with choices costing wealth, so you never feel like you can’t allocate your wealth points out of fear of a choice coming up that costs more than you left un-allocated

Hide choice effects values

• you know the choice affects a stat, but you have to read the choice text to know which way
  • so that you both rely on role-playing and not clicking choices based on stat effects only
  • But at the same time don’t feel like a choice had an unexpected effect
Other changes

• Fix bugs around Ironman unlocking and checkpoints when reaching the game’s end
  • Story: several fixes when skipping dialogues, abandoning characters
  • UI and game mechanics fixes around NPC characters death

And of course work will continue on writing and editing the scenes for Act 2.

Let us know what you think of this patch, and what's coming up next! Drop your thoughts on the Steam forums, or join the community on Discord!

Last edited by a moderator:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/900400/view/3136191639749001630

Hey everyone!

Points Re-allocation Limit
92bcf81bdb5ede12c5e739ed125b06c70c802d9a.png

The first big change in today's update is the limiting of re-allocating points to once per chapter.
  • So the story flow is not interrupted by the temptation to re-allocate the points yet again for yet another dice roll
  • But you never feel like you made a mistake and can’t get your points back
  • We also allow to remove wealth upgrades on a story step with choices costing wealth, so you never feel like you can’t allocate your wealth points out of fear of a choice coming up that costs more than you have left
UI Options: Hide Choice Effect Value
72ff75f41d0a7e4bdd1dc2f791aa8452dceae913.png

Second, you can now hide the exact values that choices can have on stats separately.
  • You know the choice affects a stat, but you have to read the choice text to know which way
  • So that you both rely on role-playing and not clicking choices based on stat effects only
  • But at the same time don’t feel like a choice had an unexpected effect
Other changes
  • Show NPC name in floaty texts if more than 1 NPC in the scene
  • Add save support for Demo to Early Access build
  • Fix bugs around saving the game's ending and Ironman unlocking
  • Death in Ironman mode reloads the game start checkpoint instead of exiting into the Title screen
  • Fix edge cases of choice effect Idea level upgrade: unlock Idea if not yet unlocked, grant 50 pts if Idea already maxed out
  • Fix character screen showing wrong characters in Chapter 'GHOST'
  • Change music in the rescue Raven scenes
cd48ba5a7da5ece1a42a9aaf58c923efd8034034.jpg

That's today's update! Try these changes out for yourself and let us know what you think of them.

What's next?
  • Story: several fixes when skipping dialogues, and abandoning characters
  • UI and game mechanics fixes around NPC characters death

Oberon

Learned
So, i checked this and it looks like a huge woke pile of shit...
I mean, is it actually woke or is that just a cosmetic option for your main character?
Any other examples of wokeness in the game? Because if it's full of we wuzing and current year dIVeRsiTy aNd rePResENtaTioN then I'll skip it, but if it's just a cosmetic option that's prominently featured on the front page to ward off the headline skimming woketards then it's whatever.
From the demo I played before release I didn't see even a hint of wokeness.

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
I mean, is it actually woke or is that just a cosmetic option for your main character?
Any other examples of wokeness in the game? Because if it's full of we wuzing and current year dIVeRsiTy aNd rePResENtaTioN then I'll skip it, but if it's just a cosmetic option that's prominently featured on the front page to ward off the headline skimming woketards then it's whatever.
It's the latter (so far) + strong warrior wymyn but done tolerably

Oberon

Learned
I just listened to a video where
It's the latter (so far) + strong warrior wymyn but done tolerably
Done well I really enjoy female warriors tbh. It's just stupid when for example you have 51% of all military personnel as females in games like POE2 and WoTR.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/900400/view/3127190691513907627

Sacred Fire Act 1 Character Choices & Consequences Update
Hello everyone!

We're back with another update, focusing on improving story beats with important characters in Act 1. We know you're all excited for the testing of Act 2 to begin, and it's precisely the writing of new scenes that triggered the need for more character interaction in Act 1. The first act now serves as a rock-solid foundation for what comes next, and we appreciate your patience in this.

Please note that old saves will not be compatible with this update, as it adds many changes to the story, as well as stat changes to the influence checks when both you and a rival character try to win the crowd.

7bfa5565dfe26e9b847f8bc6edffcc3994129752.jpg

Morl
Morl resurfaces now in many scenes with interesting consequences.

• Morl will resurface (if alive) and can be an ally or enemy depending on your earlier choices.
  • Added an assassination scene — Morl might try to get you killed.
  • If you survive Morl's assassination attempt, you can try to have Morl banished. But can you prove what happened or will he slip away? Will important figures support you, or did your previous choices erode their trust?

Chapter 1 (Demo)
  • Morl yields and becomes an ally more frequently in battle.
  • Added Teach Morl to respect you options after knocking him out, good and bad variants.
  • Added a Sneak back and shoot Morl in the back option. How will your character perform the deed? How will you rationalize it? You could botch the execution and have Morl flee and plot his revenge.
  • Added dialogue options and Wid's reactions to these new choices with Morl (and the option to not tell Wid of course).

688979971466082b9c520c142f419b3d08a4659f.jpg

Raven
Another important character in the first act, we've given Raven's scenes some more refinement.

Rescue Risk Chain rework
  • Better characters position setup in many shots
  • new risk chain variants for solo playthrough (without Etain)
  • Raven can fall captive and you need to escape 2 archers flanking you

Raven's true name — added an investigation scene
  • If you notice Wid's reaction to Ygrain calling her Raven Child.
  • After you save Raven and gain her trust, you can start unraveling the truth.
  • This includes 5 new insights about Ygrain, Raven, and the life of orphans in the community.
  • A variant where the player, the girl, and Etain can tease each other.

Note: these new scenes with Morl and Raven currently do not have Voice-Over. This will be added later when recording for Act 2 begins. You can expect an update on the Act 2 timeline in the coming weeks.

8437bd1262c81e259cfd6a0789a4d9f428305546.jpg

Etain
  • Life & death check refined flow + Raven’s involvement more important

Combat
The game now tracks:
  • A flawless victory (not getting injured) - gives a motivation boost
  • Humiliation (Morl will seek vengeance even if you let him live)

da10612c5d0deabdcba5caf55bfa08e6e211110e.jpg

Feedback
  • Remove forced ‘hand in hand’ result while waiting for a healer at Etain’s bed
  • Add Mercy kill to combat
  • Explain why you put Raven on your shoulders in the Bear encounter scene
  • Raven uses a slingshot (as she can’t draw an adult’s bow)
  • Inform about Choose Your Path before making the choice + why some options are unavailable after picking up duties
  • Refine Wid introducing watch duty when you decide to stay inside
  • Refine Raven inquiry about why you did or did not stay behind to kill all slavers
  • Refine Morl and Ygrain introduction texts so players can make up their own minds about them
  • Fix hilltop branch going to the watchtower in one instance
  • Refine Insights: explain better what makes these specific recruits in the roman army more likely to withdraw

f1802d9126d1e3559144b922c3adf21c72e2475e.jpg

Fixes
  • Fix some combat risk chains options missing in centurion duel
  • Fix ‘hide from slavers’ all party variants (Etain, Raven, rescued slaves YES/NO)
  • Remove superfluous Risk Chain Bonus from catch Etain’s fall check
Other
  • Act 1 localization start, cleanup
  • Optimized texture format saves 30MB of download and 60MB of install space

Brennus

Novice
Etain talks like a marvel character. Always annoying when "historical focused" games have ancient peoples speaking 21st century moviespeak.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Etain talks like a marvel character. Always annoying when "historical focused" games have ancient peoples speaking 21st century moviespeak.
But like, what should he, like, sound like? like?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/900400/view/3210511089553249675

Sacred Fire — Roadmap Update & Act 2 Testing
Hello everyone!

We are back with lots of new things to talk about, like an update to our earlier roadmap, beginning testing for Act 2, and a discount!

Roadmap update

Initially, on 'Early Access' launch last year we expected to release the rest of the story in Q2 this year, followed up by the full release later after adding localization and finalizing art. This time frame has shifted, as we opted to avoid rushing the story and take extra time incorporating the community's feedback and more character interaction, as you can see from our update to Act 1 last month. Here is our updated roadmap for Sacred Fire:

c57f8a39210b05547e53ebbbcfea3ec5121edd2d.jpg

While this may be a disappointment to some of you, we hope you can appreciate that this will make for a better role-playing experience in the end. This month's progress marks the start of new Act 2 scenes testing on the official Discord server[discord.com] leading to the big Act 2 public release in May.

Act 2 Testing

cfa462d91f11fca94d0f8e0b5a98f13336df243d.jpg

The Act 2 scene testing build will be updated gradually with new scenes. It starts small with:
  • new consequences to all your Act 1 choices in form of dreams
  • choices on how to react to the failure of those under your command
But soon will graduate towards the first pitched battle against Rome:
  • with plenty of tactical preparation options
  • negotiations to persuade people to go along with your plans
  • first shield wall risk chains
  • first one-on-one duel with a Roman general
  • and choices affecting relationships with characters old and new
7906d8d78b0d5b0de06400ae733ca50b8f561d96.jpg

So we'd like to extend another Thank you for your support and patience, and to everyone who has taken the time to share their thoughts on the game, or has hunted down a pesky bug! You can join the testing for Act 2 by visiting our Discord server[discord.com]

Discount
To celebrate the Act 2 testing phase, Sacred Fire is now 20% off on Steam! If you or anyone you know wants to get in on the exciting new scenes early, make sure to grab the game while the sale lasts.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/900400/view/3211640176290425649

Sacred Fire — Act 2 Testing Update, And LudoNarraCon Sale!
Hello everyone!

We're back with another update for you. As we mentioned in our previous announcement, we want to make sure Act 2 is as polished and exciting as possible when we fully release it. That's why we started a public test through our Discord[discord.com] where you could get your hands on the first few scenes of Act 2.

d683d25cfc56bc8f56d0d7b50d8282b1e639877e.jpg

Getting sick with Covid last month has interrupted the testing progress, but we did manage to finish all texts, locations and voice-recording for Act 2, so we’re back to the gradual updating of the testing build. Today we've added a few scenes that challenge and reward the player's resolve and leadership before finally getting to a safe resting place and out of the harsh Caledonian cold.

da3d12cbfee39413980dbba63cf654ce6b3e00b6.jpg

Here you can pick up the first thread to start to unravel the mystery of what triggered the Roman aggression.

624d2f82e401cc25b6421ae0aa7281a39b387fe7.png

If you aren't part of the public test yet, you can easily join! Here's how:

The work on Act 2 continues, and we hope to have more news on a full release soon™!

LudoNarraCon Sale

LudoNarraCon has begun! If you're unaware, LudoNarraCon is a digital event on Steam celebrating narrative-driven games like Sacred Fire. In honor of the event, you can pick up Sacred Fire for 25% off until May 9th!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom