Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
That's... really desperate.
I really wanted to like Ember, I really did. But her spell selection... ugh... apart from farting and sending some shinnies at the enemies, there's almost nothing there...

So I benched her. Nenio does the arcane duty, while Cam gives enemies the Evil Eye. At least she can offtank and be a mild DD/backline protector too.

Honestly i preffer to not have a Arcane Caster than using Nenio. She's so boring , so annyoing. I hate how she's one of the few Kitsunes in the game too.
YOU VOTED FOR THIS! Could've been ratfolk!

Sunri

Liturgist
and there are people who hate Ember, but like Nenio.

Yes, they are called "mouthbreathing Redditors"
Haha I must say that during my demon run I warmed up to both Nieno and Sosiel they are quite funny Nieno would fit quite nicely in codex Off-topic Discussion
2wb7xkt.png

emFPoiz.png

JbuNclT.png
Still don't like Ember tho I dunk on her on every opportunity

Thonius

Arcane
Well, there is certainly something troubling to have 20lvl witch with nuke spells and development of the child. It's like giving loaded gun to the kid.
"Маленький мальчик нашел пулемет.
Больше в деревне никто не живет.
Только осталась там тетка Матрена...
Жаль, для нее не хватило патрона."

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
and there are people who hate Ember, but like Nenio.

Yes, they are called "mouthbreathing Redditors"
Haha I must say that during my demon run I warmed up to both Nieno and Sosiel they are quite funny Nieno would fit quite nicely in codex Off-topic Discussion
2wb7xkt.png

emFPoiz.png

JbuNclT.png
Still don't like Ember tho I dunk on her on every opportunity

Leave it to Rusgoblins to make a "working class" remark where it doesn't belong.

Forseti

Novice
Honestly, for the archetype of character Nenio is (annoying "For Science!!1!" tag-along), I think she's done pretty well.

Most of her dialogue is funny, and the only time I wish she'd shut the fuck up is when she adds "Did you know <some lolrandom fact>?"

*And* you can make her stop being a furry as a standard action. Worth.

Ember is cool too. Neutral Good taken to its logical extreme.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Reward for finding perfect solution to the puzzle before the Sword of Valor:
Demon who spawns when you make an error mocks you and invites his four friends:
lfgC2cg.png

Delterius

Arcane
lfgC2cg.png
If you have see invis you can see him before you solve the puzzle and you can kill him, then solve it.
The ability to have this kind of foresight to be more common in games.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
lfgC2cg.png
If you have see invis you can see him before you solve the puzzle and you can kill him, then solve it.

This is why I like playing this game despite it being hot garbage overall.

Sunri

Liturgist
I saw someone in this thread polymorf dragon into :shittydog: i wasted 2 hours trying to do that but shit just don't work for me :negative:
dGnHMgZ.png

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
lfgC2cg.png
People who played Kingmaker learned to use SEE INVISIBILITY 24/7. You can blame it on a horribly tortured person syndrome, but... Most people learned after that sword spider. (If blindfight worked as designed and prevented gaze attacks... But, I'm not sure if they removed that bug.)

Mauman

Learned
I was thinking of going either Mutation Fighter or 2h Fighter and using that greataxe with 18-20 crit threat range. How's rowdy AB? I'll probably play on Unfair and am a bit concerned 3/4 BAB non-gish classes will struggle against enemies that are immune to shaken.

Also, after toying around with items, it looks like the dagger which you find during one of the companion quests, which adds 2 extra attacks does stack with haste but only if you equip it in offhand. So +1 full bab attack from haste and +2 full bab off-hand attacks from dagger.

AB is not really an issue if you know what you're doing. After you hit 11 (when you get g. vital strike) in Rowdy, you have no reason to stay there. I ended up going 5 in Vivi and abusing sorcerous reflex for quickly getting my attack up with truestrike and *CNS with infinite true strikes if needed (even if I had to delay my attack with the CNS true strikes, at least I'd hit on the next round). This also allowed me to distribute shields and expeditious retreats to everybody in the party. After that, I took a bunch of dips that ultimately didn't matter to finish off.

Later, I took quicken metamagic and UMD rank 3 and filled my shiny new wizard spellbook with quickened truestrikes and some other general buffing spells so my other spell casters could have some stuff freed up. And of course, you have Trick Fate lying around (keep a quicken rod handy). All of that combined with sourcerous reflex true strikes from both my UMD book and Vivi pretty much meant hitting stuff was never really a problem.

The axe is a great pick though. Not going to disagree there. I personally went glaive though, just because that untyped +1 you get in the Shield Maze is pretty tasty. I had a 2nd vital striker use the axe. Speaking of which, in the mid-game if I came across something that had a high AC (like playful Darkness), I'd just cast a CNS true strike on him courtesy of infusions (no delayed hit then) :P

*CNS = completely normal spell, which (among other things) can turn first level spells into at will cantrips.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every path that isn't Angel/Lich/Azata/Trickster need to be overhauled. Especially Aeon.
I just want to discuss a few things about this. I also want to preface that, despite my posts about being 1-shotted and having to deal with dodgy encounter design, I don't really mind it. (although I do mind breath attacks going through walls, but moving on...). I also want to say that I play like 2h to maybe 4h a day on a good day, which means that I usually play 1h, and I do my best to make the most of it, which means that I'm pretty sure you all here have already beat the game with all the other paths, but I haven't. So I can't do what Delt did and compare them, buy here's what I want to say:

I have found very few Aeon skills to be of actual use in a high level fight. Mostly because of action economy. Let me put this in simple terms: I have a hasted monk with Ki Power: Extra Attack. That is AT LEAST 8 attacks in 1 round. I can decimate AT LEAST 1 target. If not 2. Maybe 3 if I crit a lot.

How am I supposed to be feeling incentivized to use any of the spells an Aeon has at his disposal, if that spell has a higher than 50% (if not most of the time going towards 95% chance) of failure?

Now... I'm now almost done with the Abyss, and this is what I've used most:

- the gaze(s) - because they're a swift actions, even though 95% of the time my opponents make the save and/or are outside of range for them to matter, but they also buff my team, so... not a complete waste
- the Aeon Bane - because it's a swift action (again), and it helped a lot when dealing with swarms and/or crystals, or things that have no way to bypass their DR
- I used Starlight once, because I was in a fight where everyone was invisible and I was foolish enough to not have True Sight on (which was really cool BTW)
- I used True Form once to dispel Petrification off of Greybor after a crystal fight (again, which was really cool)

and...

- 1 time I used Relativity, but it turns out that instead of forcing your enemies to be slowed, and your party to be hasted, it's just a simultaneous Haste and Slow spell cast. Which procs saves against the Slow spell. Which everyone passes ---->>> waste of a turn
- I tried to Suppress Mythical Abilities once, but the target saved, because of the really low bar, and I didn't try since.

All and all, so far I feel that the Aeon is just, like... a bullied character? Like... the Owlcat designers look down on people like me? Like... I feel like I'm being told I should just close my game and stop playing it.

In a most curious (?!?) fashion, the most rewarding experiences as an Aeon came for me when someone from the Abyss tried to control my mind/ read my mind, and they couldn't. How fucked up is it, that I felt most rewarded to playing my path by the narrative team with just 2/3 instances, that I'm pretty sure they were throwaways for them. It's just like 3 sentences, or so and I felt more of an Aeon then, than the countless minutes I spent killing demons.

Truly baffling. But more importantly a lesson: have a good Q&A team.

I remember one time that back in the 00's, when magazines were en vogue, and kids my age used to read these things called articles, there was an article about how a gaming company (I forget which now) that had a "Fun Committee" that would play the game and dictate the "Fun Factor" of the game. Back then I thought it was a stupid money-making market ploy, much similar to what the mobile market is trying to do these days with their "Addiction Quotient", BUT...

... wouldn't it be great if there WAS someone in charge of telling you if your game was, indeed, fun for everyone?

Maybe then someone would tell Owlcat designers that 8 attacks each round > 1 crappy spell that fails 95% of the time.

Like... you know... really hard things to figure out...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom