Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgive Me Father - Cthulhu-hunting boomer shooter

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

https://af.gog.com/game/forgive_me_father?as=1649904300

About This Game
about.png

As the only one left with full senses, you embark on a journey in search of answers and relief in this FPS game that is created in a distinctive retro horror comic book style and feels as if it came straight out of Lovecraft's books.

broom.gif

Be aware of your madness level which dynamically changes during gameplay and gives you additional power. Choose your active skills depending on your play style and use them to fight against the eternal evil.

knife.gif

Explore this Lovecraft-inspired world that is full of hidden and hard to reach areas, and uncover the entire story to solve the mystery of this crazy place.

highlights.png

• Feeling of a classic FPS from the 90s
    Timelapse animations, opponents and elements of 2D in a 3D environment; first aid kits and life points, non-reloading weapons, powerups during dynamic combat with numerous opponents.

• Custom combat experience
    With scripture in one hand and weapons powered by an unknown substance in the other, the player will face the challenge of maintaining their humanity. It is up to the player to decide how their equipment evolves, and to find ways of defeating hordes of unpredictable opponents.

• Dynamic level of madness
    Directly influencing not only the audio-visual experience, but the gameplay itself, its effect varies depending on the current level of player’s madness.

• The gameplay is presented in a comic book style
    Hand-drawn graphics designed to maintain a distinctive comic book look, where any screenshot from the game could be a part of a new comic book.

• Mood straight from Lovecraft's dark novels
    All throughout the game, the player will feel the atmosphere of dread and horror that the works of H.P. Lovecraft are renowned for. Surrounded by the occult and forces of eternal evil, experience the feelings of hopelessness, madness and confusion, and the burning need to find answers and bring back some semblance of reason and sanity to the world.

• Many climatic levels and varied bestiary
    A diverse world entirely made by hand, full of interesting enemies ranging from possessed inhabitants to monsters straight out of your worst nightmares.

• Two heroes to choose from
    Each with their own, unique development tree. Experience the story from the perspective of either a priest or a journalist.

Gameplay

Last edited by a moderator:

fork

Low budget hipster trash cashgrab.

Comic style ≠ mood straight from Lovecraft's novels.
I'm so sick of Cthulhu shit everywhere, I wish Lovecraft wasn't public domain.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Oh, good, another Lovecraftian-inspired action game with sanity effects. All these developers don't seem to have ever actually read anything by Lovecraft and instead seem to just use some names and then use a crappy sanity system. The art's Hellboy-ish, but the enemies all look amateurish. They're walking awkwardly and their animation range is bad. And it all just looks so bland. I think I'll stick with Strange Aeons if I ever want a Lovecraftian-inspired FPS, at least that feels like it was made by someone who actually read a Lovecraft story.

Ash

Arcane
I can't think of anything more lovecraft than a graphic that says 'HEADSHOT'

Nor any 90s FPS.

My first impressions as with everyone is not favorable, but I still say wait it out, give the new blood a chance, expect the worst but hope for the best.

Nowhere is there a rule that just because something takes inspiration from Lovecraft it has to emulate the feel 100%

I still remember the 2006-2013 deep decline years where I all but prayed for old school oriented game design to come back (i.e a focus on gameplay as it should be). Now all these boomer shooters are here I can't complain that there's at least SOMETHING, and yet you bet your ass I want to as most aren't capturing the greatness in every aspect: gameplay, art, music etc, let alone innovating upon them...fuck I am complaining. Just wait it out and give it a chance. It could be worse. Could be forever stuck in a timeloop where Gears of War/Assassins Creed/Kane & Lynch/GTA4/Halo/Uncharted/Fable/Call of Duty/Bioshock/Oblivion and the many clones of them, not much else are being released over and over

Last edited:

toughasnails

The game looks p sweet tbh. Visually somewhere between The Darkness 2 and Blood and the action looks fun.

toughasnails

Comic style ≠ mood straight from Lovecraft's novels.
There's probably tons of comic book that either adaptations of specific Lovecraft stories or are using his Mythos in some way.
And Arkham Horror stuff for example uses art in the style of American comic books.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
While I am not opposed to a Lovecraft inspired shooter I am opposed to one that only takes the most superficial elements of one or two stories and fail to do anything interesting with the themes Lovecraft wrote about. Take advantage of odd angles and portals to make architecture seem more inhuman. Make subtle changes to environments if/when the player backtracks through them. Adding fish people will not make your game Lovecraftian if you do not add the fundamentals such as existential dread and anxiety of the unknown.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Any game advertising itself as "Lovecraftian" is actually Derlethian. Which makes sense, because basically everything iconic about the "Lovecraft Mythos" comes from Derleth and the tabletop game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Whats a "boomer shooter"?

Visual style looks like XIII. I dont think this is a good fit for the cthulhu mythos tho

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Adding fish people will not make your game Lovecraftian

None of the recent games marketed as 'Lovecraftian' are really Lovecraftian, but parodies of Lovecraft.

Interestingly these people always choose the worst possible art design like this stupid soft comic book look.

I havent seen a Lovecraftian game since Clive Barkers Undying in 2001. Which has nothing to do with Lovecraft funnily enough.

Quake, Undying, Soul Reaver are infinitely more Lovecraftian than hipster garbage like Stygian, Stirring Abyss or Alder's Blood.

Viata

Arcane
I'm so sick of Cthulhu shit everywhere, I wish Lovecraft wasn't public domain.
I'm not sick because nothing they make is close to what Lovecraft did, so I don't even try them. Can't be sick of what doesn't affect you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom